Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Eater
M:(13/13)E:0; S:(12/12)E:0; I(13/13)E:1; XP:0
Flex Skill: Perception

Since the jolting had begun, Eater had spent some time trying to keep steady a couple shins in the air, using only her will. It had become a game of sorts, timing their motion with the rocking and swaying as the driver urged his beast on. But when Charus jumped out, the slam of the door broke her concentration and the they fell back in her lap.

With a shrug and a smile, the pilgrim followed the madman. She hitched up her robes up from the mud, turned her back to the carriage and started to push as well, leaning her sparse frame against the vehicle. In between shoves she yelled back to Ohrmazd.

"What is discomfort, but a narrow mind? By focusing on a few pleasing sensations you blind yourself and in their absence, feel as if you are lacking. Open your senses to what is offered and partake in that. Do not, as the sages write, be as a man at a banquet, starving because his mother's porridge is not there."

pre:
A Mystical Jack who Works Miracles
Tier 1, Effort 1

Might 13, Edge 0
Speed 12, Edge 0
Intellect 13 Edge 1

Skills
Philosophy (Jack)
Numenera Training (Descriptor)
Sense "Magic" (Descriptor)

Inability
Unnerving Aura (Charm, persuasion and deception +1 step)

Abilities
Flex Skill (Jack)
Practiced with light and medium weapons (Jack)
Hedge Magic (1 Intellect) (Descriptor)
Healing Touch (1 Intellect) (Focus)

Tricks of the Trade
Thrust (1 Might)
Trained in Intellect Defense

Equipment
Backpack
Clothing (well-worn robes)
Punching Dagger (Light, 2 damage)
Razor Ring (Light, 2 damage, short range)
Leather Jerkin (Light, 1 armor)
Two oddities
Two cyphers
Explorer's Pack
Bag of Light Tools
6 shins

Cyphers and Oddities
Numenera Net. Anoetic. Level: 6. Usable: A square of fine mesh. 
Effect: Before this device can be activated, at least three cyphers must be activated within a short distance of it. 
Once this occurs, the net becomes charged for 28 hours. The next time the user uses an occultic cypher 
while in possession of the net, he can transfer energy from the net to the cypher so that the cypher can be used one additional time.

Clamp Trap. Anoetic. Level: 5. Usable: Mouthlike metal clamp. 
Effect: When activated, this device becomes a pressure-plate trap that clamps around anything that triggers it. 
The device is similar to a bear trap, except that when it is fully activated, it becomes invisible. 
Once triggered, it inflicts damage equal to the cypher level, plus 1 additional point of damage per minute until it is removed. 

A stub of paper with writing on it that says something different to everyone who looks at it
Shirt that displays your muscles, bones, and internal organs when you wear it

Links and Connections
Eater believes this would be a great way to learn more about the numenera.
Another PC suspects Eater is a messiah or supernatural being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

Eater grinned, moving aside to give him more room. "That's the spirit. Just remember that if you strain yourself, I can undo that. Within limits, of course. Breaking a leg would be unwise in this situation."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

The clouds looked nice, Eater thought to herself while she waited for the big push to happen. That cloud kind of looked like the first symbol of Mie's Meteodiviniation I. Then Paschal's struggles broke her reverie. Leaning her head around the corner of the wagon, she the mentalist go down in a flurry of wings and mud. Then she was off, taking an easy lope towards the trouble.

That hunting cry sounded familiar, a drebil for sure. But was it an Eastern Plains or a Northern Crag Drebil, assuming Linneal's observations were..."Hey Paschal! Quick, does that have an odd or even number of claws and is there any unusual coloration to the underbelly?"

Drebil Info: 1d20 11

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
M:(12/13)E:0; S:(12/12)E:0; I(13/13)E:1; XP:0

Right, the details clicked. Eater stopped next to Paschal, wrapping calloused fingers around the worn grips of her punching dagger. "A Northern Crag Drebil, that's what it is," she informed the mentalist. "Intelligent enough, but not too dangerous if you put up a fight. Problem is, they usually hunt in pairs and if you found one of them, the other should be-"

Then the drebil lunged at her and Eater focused on the new threat. With her dagger in one hand, Eater tried to duck under its path and thrust her dagger into the unprotected underbelly. But she misjudged her footing in the mud, overshooting the drebil.

"Nice move, drebil!" She called out as she tried to stop her fall. "But it won't work a second time!"

Attack: 1d20 5 using punching dagger (light weapon, 2 damage) and spending 1 point of Might for Thrust, adding +1 damage. No luck though.
EDIT: Speed Defense: 1d20 9

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

The dagger goes back into a robe pocket and Eater takes careful steps towards the drebil. Jeran never mentioned the noises they make, not like this. "When two parties meet for the first time, they are coming together halfway across a bridge. Sometimes you step through a rotten plank and stumble. Be thankful the whole structure did not collapse." The jack kneeled and a thin-fingered hand shot out and touched the drebil.

"Now, remain still. Let me pull you back up." There's the familiar double vision as one injured drebil becomes many, each slightly different. Many are injured, some more or less, other healthy but different: too large, or small, not the right sex or species. Eater remains still, eyes flicking between the possibilities, onlookers seeing just a slight blur. There. That one will do nicely. A drebil that looks just like Hog, is Hog quivering and sobbing but less bloody. A mental tug and the drebils collapse back into one.

Healing Touch: 1d20 19, Healing Touch Amount: 1d6 3 on the drebil. Oh yeah.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"Yes, but where do the beggars come from?" Eater called out to the woman's retreating back, before turning to the others again.

It had been a good walk. Along the way Eater had started looking for shapes in the clouds, pointing them out to her traveling companions and how they matched to the shapes and portents recorded in Bruin's Nimbusmancy. The Stricken Oaf, the Hungry Wind, the Viscera, so on and so forth.

"That was an enlightening stroll here, but I do admit weariness at the feeling of mud in my sandals. And a powerful thirst. Not as potent as your might-" nodding to Ohrzmad. "But strong enough. And it sounds like there might be a solution in that direction." Gesturing to the sounds of the crowd further along.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"To paraphrase an old poem: I am leaf on the wind and have no plan but to keep soaring." Eater shrugged and kept walking towards the sounds of carousers. "I've been on the road a long while and it has been enlightening." She sidesteps a street performer and changes the color of their instrument through the rainbow, giving a quick grin and bow. "But, also, tiring. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with a place, for a while." Speaking of which- The pilgrim racked her brain for what she'd read of the coastal town. Until something Paschal said caught her attention.

"Oh, and also. What necromancy trial was this? Am I in the company of ressurectionists? We should compare notes on techniques."

I pretty much went with an Intellect edge to spam Hedge Magic whenever :v:. And maybe to be smarter at stuff occasionally. But probably not today. Intellect: Harmuth Info: 1d20 3

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"I see some of us are already acquainted. And nobody has had their wings torn off! This is a sign of good things to come." Eater bowed back at Mazu, raising an eyebrow. "Does my garment mean something to you? They're comfortable and easy to wash, if that's what you're asking."

"I'm Eater. Its as good a name as any, as you'll see. But also witch, pilgrim and wanderer work as well." With her introduction out of the way, she looked over the newcomers a little closer. A landsick sailor and an initiate in numenera. On an impulse she closed her eyes halfway and focused on a pattern in her mind.

The smell of the sea seemed to rise from her robes, tickling everyone's olfactory nervee, a strong yet brief burst of salt and seaweed. Eater grinned.

Hedge Magic-ing a cool ocean scent because why not :v:? Assuming that's a reasonable use of the ability.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"You forgot to mention 'alleged necromancer,' and confirmation or denial thereof," Eater contributed.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"What is a mother but a glass jar full of horrors, waiting to be opened?" Eater gives an apologetic shrug. "Its not Rum's finest musing; the man had some issues regarding his existence."

"And I believe we were headed for the sea, or for shelter and sustenance. Whichever we decided on. A townswoman who called us beggars suggested the Priests, though I'm not sure if she thought we lacked shins or knowledge."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

Eater watched the proceedings with an interested eye but her attention was elsewhere. Namely Kula's reference to nearly everyone else as "strange," and the delicious smell of cooked meat. Her stomach grumbled in reminder she hadn't eaten today. Maneuvering to stand a little less downwind of the bonfires, she introduced herself.

"I'm Eater, another strange fellow, as you'd probably put it." She smiled. "Is Harmuth really such a place for us? It seemed quite normal from the outside, like a fresh-picked apple." Another grumble at the mention of food.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

Eater digs in with gusto, finishing her allotted portion among the fastest before sitting back and giving a belch of contentment. "Like the morning sun on the crystal fields that was well welcomed. Thank you."

Sleeping takes place in a corner of the room, curled around her bag of possessions. She didn't dream, not tonight. But she awakens early, performing little numenera tweaks to freshen up and clean the dust from her robes.

"Agreed, my well-thewed companion. The night has seen us rested and our purpose remains in sight. Meet with the unusual man of the village and ascertain what it will take to get us closer to the secrets below." As she finished brushing bits of straw from her head and shoulders she racked her brains for knowledge on the strange being known as the Ealdorman.

Changing my flex skill to Negotiation. Also rolling Intellect: Golthiar info: 1d20 8.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
Flex Skill: Negotiation

"Yes, but for the hawk there is no such thing as breakfast in bed."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"Less feathers, more, well." Eater's brow furrows as she tries to put into words that fume-filled experience. "Something else. Not like you or I, more...ethereal. They live like plants but ones that thrive in soil watered by thought as well as sun and water. And possibly have a deeper connection to reality than us. So perhaps the Ealdorman can read minds, or give the appearance of such? I'm starting to see what Kula meant, last night. We will have to tread cautiously in this first encounter."

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater

"Ooh." Eater shivered at the feeling upon crossing the threshold. "The numenera here must be quite potent. Some kind of aura against violence, perhaps? I know I won't be testing that theory anytime soon." All the same she checked her dagger was safe and secure against falling out of its sash pocket. She covered the motion with an adjustment of her robes.

"And I return your greetings with my own," Eater intoned, giving a slight bow. "We come drawn to Harmuth and the mysteries concealed within. But first, we came to introduce ourselves. I myself am Eater, a pilgrim on the many-branched road to understanding." Her voice was muted and solemn, in an attempt to match the Ealdorman's. Meeting halfway on the bridge and all that.

Hedge Magic-ing Eater's voice to match the Ealdorman's in tone. Because diplomacy!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Eater
M:(13/13)E:0; S:(12/12)E:0; I(12/13)E:1; XP:0

"Are the ruins beneath our feet strewn with experts and numenera, that you make such an offer?" Eater continues to apply the numenera to make her voice match the Ealdorman's in tone, watching him closely. "You would allow us to fill our pockets with the treasures of the past, yet give us just enough to fill or bellies with the necessities of the present. Do the merchants of Harmuth await us each day, ready to turn synth into soup? Our companion here-" she turns to include Ohrmazd in the her speech "-can shoulder quite the burden, but to what end? So we can profit a little more each day of toil?"

Having said her piece, Eater stepped back and folded her hands under her sleeves in a gesture of waiting. "As the pollenbat and the luneflower, this is a union with potential. I wish merely to ascertain how long one's tongue must be to taste the nectar."

Spending 2 Intellect for Effort and rolling Intellect: Negotiation: 1d20 12

• Locked thread