Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Paschal "The Spiritist"
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(11/11)E:0; I(17/17)E:1; XP:0

As the wagon rocks about, Paschal can't help but scowl. Too much like the early days, roaming mud trails between two bit shows in flea infested villages. Only the thought of working Harmuth lightens his mood. A true city, not one of those jumped up farming towns. The people of such must need diversions, and were they not the best showmen in the world? This was all a temporary inconvenience, their time would come again.

The pleasant daydreams are shattered by a large man crashing into him. Biting back a sharp retort, Paschal fakes a smile. "Think nothing of it," he says smoothly. "The rigors of the road can be a shock to those unaccustomed." As he speaks, he subtly checks his belongings for any that might've gone wandering.

As the mad performer hops up to assist the wagon driver, Paschal moves to follow. "Remember when we used to have people to do this sort of thing for us, Charus" he asks wistfully. "I miss having someone to deal with the muck for me, I'll tell you that. Speaking of, I think you're quite right." Turning back to the interior, he looks pointedly at the larger man. "You seem a strong fellow, care to lend an arm down here?" Not waiting for the reply, he starts off into the brush. "I'll fetch a good lever," he calls back. "No sense tiring ourselves out before we even arrive."

Searching for a good strong branch to lever the wheel. 1d20=12

pre:
Tier 1 Nano
Background: Psychic

XP expenditure log:
Tier 1
-
-
-
-

Pool/Edge:
Might 11/0
Speed 11/0
Intellect 17/1

Effort 1
Armour: 1

Skills:
All tasks involving social interaction
Numenera Training

Inabilities and Drawbacks:
Open Mind: Intellect Defense Difficulty Increases 1 Step

Abilities:
Practiced With Light Weapons
Telepathic (1 intellect)
Mental Esoteries: Automatic Training In Mind Control & Mind Reading
Minor Effect: Double Range or Duration
Major Effect: Take Another Action In Same Turn

Esoteries:
- Ward
- Onslaught (1 Int)

Equipment:
4 Shins
Book on Numenera
Travelling Clothes
Performer's Robes
Focusing Crystal in Removable Setting: +1 Int Pool (-5 if Lost and not replaced.)
Travelling Hat with Notch for Crystal Setting
Oversized Mentalist Wrap with Pin for Crystal Setting

Weaponry:
Dagger (Light)

Cyphers:
Memory Cube. Anoetic. Level: 1. Usable: Extracts one memory for storage/replay.  Original memory lost.
Sonic Hole. Anoetic. Level: 7. Wearable: Silences long range area for one round per level.
Lutin (Light Drops). Anoetic. Level: 3. Usable:(long range). Creates luminescent cloud for 1d6 rounds.

Roll to determine the effect:
01–50 Blindness. Blind for level/rounds.
51–75 Sleep. Sleep for level/rounds.
76–00 Dazzle. Daze for level/rounds, increasing difficulty by one step.

Oddities:
A knitted square that adds a new row of stitches on its own

Tran fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Paschal
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(11/11)E:0; I(17/17)E:1; Armor: 1; XP:0

Startled, Paschal falls backward with a shriek. Had he more time to think about it, he'd be inwardly railing against the damnable wild spaces with their mud, thorns, and murderous creatures pretending to be rocks. At the moment however his thoughts largely consist of blind panic and a particularly focused will to kill the beastly little thing. Unlike for most men, that ill intent is enough to cause grievous harm by itself. Hopefully it would do so before the ghastly little beast tore off his face.

Mental Onslaught versus not-rock 1d20=5 Defense roll: 1d20=13

Tran fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 5, 2014

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

Paschal crawls away from the tiny murderous rock impersonator in panic. He only halts when it becomes clear the little beast has chosen a new victim. Dragging himself to his feet, he absently wipes at the newly accumulated muck in a futile attempt at restoring his pride. However useless a gesture, it does serve to calm his nerves somewhat. The slowly fading fear is rapidly replaced by outrage. Not only had this trip sought to strip him of his dignity, but now it threatened his very life. Someone or something must be held accountable. Fortunately there were several potential candidates nearby.

"What the bloody hell is that thing," Paschal demands. "This is why I hate travelling. As if the everpresent mud and stomach churning roads weren't enough, there's always something out there plotting to skin and eat you. Even the blasted rocks have gotten in on the game!" For all the bravado, he clutches tightly at his dagger.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

Paschal glares at the whining rock poser. "The absolute gall," Paschal spits. "This vile little monster tries to devour my eyes and then claims to be the victim? Will the indignities of this blasted day never end?" He takes a deep breath to collect himself before speaking again. "Enough, I'll waste no more time on that thing. Let's just get the cart moving and be on our way." Pointedly ignoring the wailing creature, the mentalist collects his lever and a more cooperative stone before setting off toward the wagon.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

Though the damnable cart driver had once again proven his uncertain parentage, Paschal walked the final mile in relative cheer. Finally he'd be back in civilization, mere moments away from a comfortable bed and a distinct lack of greenery. Even the fauna was likely to be tame, nothing greater than a stray hound or adventurous rat. A place where coin could be had for just a few clever words and a bit of showmanship. Yes, the day was looking up. Even that one final indignity hurled by an unknown woman couldn't rile him. Just a faceless voice in the crowd.

Even still, he was glad for Charus' intervention. "Good of you Mr. Loryn," he says. "Good riddance to any reminder of that particular trip I say. Best we find a boarding house straight away, one with a proper bath. We'll need to be at our best if we're to secure rights to perform." After a moment's hesitation he looks toward his fellow entertainer with an almost apologetic expression. "Speaking of, perhaps I should handle the negotiations. I know the necromancy trial wasn't your fault, but best we avoid any misunderstandings."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

Paschal gives a look of mock outrage. "The ingratitude! Without my ministrations who knows how many sailors might have been plagued with the demons of excess coin and cheap rotgut? I may very well have saved their lives, or at least spared them an unpleasant morning after. Should any spirits take offense at a pleasant fiction now and again, they're given me no sign." He offers a broad smile. "There is magic enough in a clever tongue and observant eye, and I plan to offer both to the fine citizens of this grand city. As for the old city, I suppose we are not without our talents. Perhaps tales and artifacts wrested from the lost ruins of the world before might serve as a new attraction?"

But you must excuse my manners, I don't think your friend and I have been properly introduced. I am Paschal the Spiritist, master mentalist and entertainer. The fellow there is Charus Loryn, a master escape artist among other abilities. We two are all that remains of our troupe I fear, though that may change yet. You have already met Miss Eater, and the large fellow is Ohrmazd. We met on the road, where they valiantly came to my aid when assaulted by the dangers of the wilds. So come now, please introduce us to your companion.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

The outburst takes Paschal by surprise, but he covers it with a laugh that only sounds slightly forced. "A misunderstanding I don't care to repeat," he says easily. "It is rather hard to debate the finer points of my craft when the other party is seeking to have me hanged, quartered, and put to the torch. No I can honestly say I have never attempted to capture souls, animate the mindless bodies of the recently deceased, or any other sort of darker sorcery."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

Bowing theatrically Paschal gestures toward the merry making madman before speaking, "I am the great Paschal, spiritist and master mentalist. My companion and I are travelling entertainers, only just arrived in Harmuth. We've come to provide the people of your city with all manner of amusement. Feats of skill, oration, mysticism, and more are all within our purview." He raises his arms in a gesture of supplication. "Of course we would not dare to take a single coin without first seeking the blessing of this grand community's prominent citizens, as you so obviously are."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

"Very kind of you," Paschal says with another slight bow. "I admit I know little of the man, and share some of the young woman's curiosity. Perhaps you have some advice for how best to present our case to him?"

Beneath the pleasant smile and small talk Paschal's attention focuses. While the kindly priest's words might offer useful insights, his thoughts and emotions presented a much deeper well of information. One only needed to know how to draw from it.

Committing thought robbery.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal

"I'll not stalk the man about town like a thief or sycophant," Paschal says. "If I am to strike any sort of official bargain it will not be done through whispers in a crowded shrine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Paschal
M:(11/11)E:0; S:(11/11)E:0; I(15/17)E:1; Armor: 1; XP:0

Waiting patiently for his chance to speak without interruption, Paschal carefully probes the otherworldly civic leader's mind. The Ealdorman may be inscrutable to most humans, but they lacked Paschal's unique gifts.

As a lull forms in the chatter, he steps forward to offer a grand bow. "Lord Ealdorman, I offer my sincerest greetings," he booms in grand fashion. "I am known as Paschal, master mentalist, spiritist, and seeker of divine mysteries." He waves an arm toward his fellow performer. "Here in the company of Mister Charus Loryn, master magician, orator, and bard. Together we seek to offer your fair city all manner of amusements, wisdom, and showmanship such as any great metropolis would boast of proudly. We require only your blessing, a few basic accoutrements, and a suitable place to perform. Such fine acts require a ready audience of course." He bows his head in deference. "Of course I would not dream of asking any favor of you without being willing to prove my sincerity. We've heard you are seeking assistance with your excavations, and would be happy to add our more practical talents to the work." He gestures toward the larger group now, having all but ignored them 'till now. "These fellows have shown an interest in those matters as well, and I'm certain between the lot of us we are more than capable of providing the expertise you require."

Going all out to impress the Ealdorman. 1. Lightly probing his mind for hooks to draw his attention. 2. Paschal's empathic abilities make him a master negotiator. 3. Using extra effort on the Int test. Persuading Ealdorman: 1d20 12

• Locked thread