Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(14/14)E:0; XP:0

Awoken from his third attempt to nap, Charus lets out a small chain of expletives. Or, they would have been, if the words hadn't gotten lost somewhere between his mind and his mouth. "Moonrise, shilling, shins, and forest shoes! What matter of discourse is the day that elaborated evermore such an eccentric eventuality? It would be better walking on my head than listening to the simmering of the pot! GOOD FELLOW, is your mind your whip, or your whip your mind? The mud is muck is mud, and mindless milling misses most!"

With that he hops out and starts pushing at the cart to free it from the mud, flashing Ohrmazd and his musculature a sharp look. "Why wish a wisp, when might might?"

QuantumNinja posted:

Tier 1 Jack
Background: Born Lucky

Effort 1
Might 12/0
Speed 14/1
Intellect 14/0

Armour: 0
Cypher max: 2
Practiced with light and medium weapons
Fits of Insight. Whenever such knowledge is appropriate, the GM will feed you information for which there is no clear explanation as to how you could know such a thing. This is up to the GM’s discretion, but should happen as often as once each session.

Connections:
- You felt compelled by inexplicable intuition to get involved.
- You used to work with a troupe of traveling minstrels and performers, and they remember you fondly (as do people in the places you visited).
- You have known Paschal for a while, and he helped you gain control of your phase states.

Skills:
- Deceiving
- Flex Skill
- Numenera Knowledge
- Walk Through Walls (2 Intellect). You can slowly pass through physical barriers at a rate of 1 inch (2.5 cm) per round (minimum of one round to pass through any barrier). You can’t act (other than moving) or perceive anything until you pass entirely through the barrier. You can’t pass through energy barriers. Action.

Inability:
- Fragile Mind (mental defense +1 step)
- Erratic Behavior When you are in the presence of a major numenera discovery, or at times of great stress (such as a serious physical threat), the GM can use GM intrusion without awarding XP that directs your next action. (Oh, my, yes!)

Esoteries:
- Hedge Magic (1 Intellect)
- Trained Without Armor

Equipment:
- Clothing
- Light Armor: Leather Jerkin
- Rapier
- Bow with 12 Arrows
- Explorer's Pack
- Bag of Light Tools
- 8 Shins

Cyphers:
8, 99: Grub Armor.
Anoetic. Numenera Level: 1d6+1 2. Usable: Canister of dried worms. Effect: This cypher requires a bit of water to activate the dried worms in the can. Once activated, the grubs grow to enormous size in 1d6 rounds and swarm over the user’s body, providing +2 to Armor for one hour. Further, if the user is targeted by an effect that specifically affects a single creature, such as something that controls or reads her mind, one of the grubs is affected instead, effectively rendering the user immune to such things for the duration. This does not apply to straightforward physical attacks of any kind.
15, 56: Projectile Module (Teleport).
Occultic. Level: Numenera Level: 1d6+1 5. Usable: Small metal and synth plate. Effect: This cypher must be attached to another cypher or artifact (a level 4 task) that fires solid projectiles, like a slugspitter or a compactor. Once attached, it no longer counts against a character’s cypher limit. The projectile(s) of the cypher or artifact it is attached to now teleport through barriers to get to the target, but the target must be seen. The attack ignores Armor and can even pass through solid barriers. The module cannot be removed from the device without destroying both the module and the device.
Oddities:
Oddities: 2#1d100 75 77
- Pair of tiny metal rods that, when brought within 1 inch (2.5 cm) of each other, vibrate exactly fifteen minutes before the sun rises
- Bottle of twenty-four pills that make you vividly dream about your favorite memory when you next sleep (SO GOOD)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(14/14)E:0; XP:0

Charus watches as the others rush to Paschal's aid, and seems to stare off into the distance for a moment. In reality, however, he's contemplating joining them. That is, until he realizes the driver is still there, and starts storming him with questions. "What is the mud, to you, good sir? Aren't you traveled on this roads? I mean, better than the stars! Whilst the rest of your passengers scream, you enjoy your cream. What manner of man are you that manners matter minutest?"

He stand here, covered in mud, half-glaring at the driver, while he hears the combat sounds of his compatriots.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(13/14)E:0; XP:0

Charus stammered at the unhelpful man, but soon enough his compatriots were back without additional fanfare. But it didn't matter, and soon enough they were back on the road, and then much closer to Harmuth than before. The sea water was sharp in his nose, but pleasantly-scented. And that little voice, that little calling, in his head was finally quieted: he had indeed come to Harmuth, and the maddening voice had abated for just time. It put Charus in a cheery mood, and a salient one at that. "Oh, the mud is but a small trick, and something less than important, Eater. Look again, and see that it is not so bad as you think."

-1 Intellect to use Hedge Magic, cleaning the Small Area of us four travellers.

He winks at Eater then, and says. "So, where to? Shall we see the sayer, find some food?"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn

Charus smiles at Paschal, excited to entertain once more. "I think that'd be capital, and best while I'm still me, before I become I and I and I and I, you know. Perhaps we could do it this very evening, and then find our way into that great city beyond this town, down in the depths. What of you, Eater, Ohrmazd? Aside from shared passage, would you like to share more? Lodgings perhaps? And an adventure into the deeper truths on the morrow?"

He flourishes his hat with a small laugh as they walk further through the sea-scented town, then stops and spends a shin on some street food. As they keep walking, he enjoys the meat sandwich and tall ale. After a particularly large mouthful, he suggests, "What a bore, a boarding house. Perhaps we should see the sea first!"

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn

Charus muses as they wander along the beautiful sunset, and speaks to Susan. "You are the one who goes, are you not? With not a knot, but a mouth for machines? What is it like, the voices in plenum you perceive of power and presence and prescience?"

(He's asking if she hears voices the way he does.)

When they get to the shore, he gives his hand to the larger man, along with a big grin and a tip of his hat. "We've come to play in this bay, which seems suited to bray and pray! But prey, lend us a legend of the Lord of Liquids and Lapping, oh leader of these living linemen! Or better, tell the sands to be silent, lest they sing songs of sooth and séance when it's time for lopers and lies, and I shall spin the scrolls straightaway!"

Before the man can respond, he twists by him and joins the musicians in their merrymaking, picking up the tune and beginning to sing.

But listen here as fires roast
and the lights slide from me!
Give the Lord of Waters due
to keep the oceans free!

He sits atop a coral throne,
enormous as can be,
armor green and glittering,
at the bottom of the sea.

He sees it all from deep below,
and the clouds that ever be,
but curse not yet his fire's toll,
lest roaring you shall see!

But Uluz knows how faring goes,
across cold, ancient seas,
and winds and rain or even snows,
the fish will bite for thee.

Merry-make and fishers take
the fish right from the sea.
Salt is sharp and salt is won
from the giving oceans free!

So listen here as fires roast
and the lights slide from me!
Give the Lord of Waters due
from the giving oceans free.

(OOC: I have no idea if any of this is cannon about the Lord of Waters, but I hope it can be.)

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(13/14)E:0; XP:0; Flex Skill: Entertaining

He ate dinner in almost silence, and felt almost ethereal as the sun disappeared beyond the horizon. He sang a few more songs for the crowd after dinner, accepting payment in drink and lodgings for his travelling fellows. But the whole time, Susan's question dug at him. At the time, he had simply replied an absence of knowledge about them, but the answer was as unsatisfactory to himself as it had seemed to her.

So he thought about it through the night, over perfect fish and beautiful weather, and more as he laid awake on the couple's floor, staring at the ceiling and trying to see it for what he knew it was. But sleep carried him into peace, and the small rods he wore around his neck woke him just before the sunrise. He stood by Ohrmazd watching the city come to life, but kept silent, pondering the truth of the voices he heard.

When the others gathered together and debated the course of the morning, he sided with Susan. "A shrine is fine, but whispered wishes aren't worthwhile when we are to get a gathering with the Golthiar. Let's see the streets in the sunrise, seek the hall's seating."

Then he continues, to Eater. "He must be like me, fazed and hazed. If he can see our minds, betwix the lines, then less fanfare, and facticity here, may score us the secrets we seek. If you shan't say sooth, I spurn you to the street, where deceit is doubtless to outshine."

Translation: Let's go to town hall. Also, if the Golthiar can really read our minds, we should be honest in our reasons for being here in hopes that the Ealdorman will help us. If any of you isn't okay with that, perhaps you should stay out of the conversation so that you don't have to lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Charus Loryn
M:(12/12)E:0; S:(14/14)E:1; I(11/14)E:0; XP:0; Flex Skill: Entertaining

Charus had planned to remain silent in their meeting, but upon the second mention of his presence by his companions, he decided it was too much and spoke himself. "Good day, good fellow! I am the master magician, bard of the bay and the day! Lord Ealdorman, we wish the play for pay in your bay, in this city as we may. We wish lodgings for our legerdemain, so from begging we might restrain. But there is a varied vision of our visit, if I may: mad as I may be, I have been visited by voices, and I vie to visit the various voids of numenera."

He held a stupid grin on his face for a moment, until the Ealdorman turned to look at him fully. It wasn't clear if it was just sheer luck, or the focus of the golthiar's attention, but Charus enjoyed a moment of mental alacrity. "If you know not what I mean, I wish to see the city below this one, good sir. I've travelled far, as I've been instructed to, by the ethereal effervescence that rules my mind most of the time. I have been told the key to my condition lies below us, deep hidden away, and I must see it if I am to solve my inability. I will entertain the everyman here, which is my trade, by way of payment, if it suits you. Please, Ealdorman, this is my only chance to change my chagrin."

Persuading: 1d20 11 (Intellect, with 1 Effort)

• Locked thread