Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Do Gunners get a revive shot? That's the only one that would make some sort of twisted sense.

At the hospital you are gently brought back with magic or drugs or whatever, but out in the field we can shoot you hard enough to kick life back in your bones! Your choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
That EO2 -> EO3 Ambush change highlights something Atlus has done amazingly well across this series, which is improving difficulty fairness without making the games easier. I can't think of a single change (except 1 -> 2 FOE changes that got reverted/improved in 3) that didn't feel as though it was fairer without seeming like the game difficulty got nerfed. Ambush was a good idea, and it's great with the warning and risk/reward in 3, but EO2 ambush is difficult in the same way that, yeah, a squirrel stealing your party's swords would be a difficulty bump, sure.

I'm surprised there was never an equipment-loss event in this series now that I think about it. How did post-game EO1 not have "This flesh wall has a glimmering hole haha a hellsquirrel steals your first party member's pants. Also his skill points. And it's yes or no go ahead pick one haha"

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
That still sucks to hear about the computer, even if it was on its way out the door. Is that a new speed record for an LP killing a hard drive?(Because even if it died for entirely non-emulation reasons that had been happening, this is a curse and thus gets the kill credit)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Glad to see you back! Especially given you saying the labyrinth is going to start getting "a lot more mean" :getin:

I remember reaching the second, max third stratum before giving up on this one, so seeing it with well-written character banter is the perfect way to digest this game. Just replayed EO1, the original, and even that was an enjoyable romp through Since-Made-Far-Better mechanic history. This game though...

Nah, you. You suffer through it. For us.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
After having played EOIV and its "Endgame bosses + some enemies/FOEs have a last 20% of health super move" seeing the exact opposite (Survive to 55% health, end fight!) thanks to the completely broken magic of Climax is really great!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
w/r/t "The first stratum is the hardest and most death-prone... until the post game that is!" I can't gush enough about EO difficulty curves, and that's another aspect I love. Because you've outlined it perfectly before Dr. Fetus, that nothing gets easier, you just get more tricks and become generally more competent as the enemies rise in power at an expected rate. Then you hit the post-game and the game difficulty basically says "Wow, you've built up a team with all sorts of fun gimmicks! What if they were like level 1 squish-balls again, but also with lvl 10 climax? Hah wouldn't that be crazy anyway HERE YOU GO"

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Kemix posted:

Sounds good to me. Gilbert is still RNG king right now. I mean seriously.

THIS. Dr. Fetus your writing and screenshot choice was spot-on and good to convey (helped by us all having those dungeon dive almost-dead moments) but I literally gasped when it came down to ONE. LAST. CHANCE. To get out alive.

GIlbert has earned a plushy retirement at the end of this LP.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
One of the best features of this LP is seeing how many combos can actually work. In EO2 of all places. As EO3 chat spot-on-ly mentioned, it's such a wonderful thing that the newer games let you win with the team you want (mostly). With some skill planning, if five of the most random-rear end portraits hit you as Your. Absolute. Team. You can usually make a go of it.

To post-game at least :getin:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well I hope you all enjoyed the more frequent updates, because I'm not gonna be able to put out any more of those for a while. I'm getting real busy at this point, so updates are gonna have to slow down. Possibly significantly. I was hoping to get one last update in before I got really busy again, but I couldn't get that done in time. Best case scenario is that I update as often as I did before deciding to update more frequently. (Probably not happening.) Worst case scenario, this hits the archives. (Definitely not happening. Maybe.)

It was a nice holiday bonus! The writing quality is both worth the wait and pretty well explains it, on top of the usual effort for an LP.

I promise if this thread nears the archives to turn on you and start posting snippy one sentence posts asking if the thread is dead or you're just lazy. That will be my gift to you for your hard work (calling you lazy) (I give great gifts)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, basically I'm holding back because it's really easy to vaporize the game's difficulty if you know what to do. Pauline having the bow back in the 3rd Stratum would have broken that part of the game, but in a pretty boring way. I like to get creative when I decide to break any EO game in two.

I am definitely of the "Break the game before you break yourself with frustration" crowd, but I do appreciate your knowledge of the game and nods like this for the LP!

Use that bow!

Now if only Bellamy got something like this so it could go to his head and, knowing your luck, he could immediately have his pride shattered by a lucky (!) string of random deaths!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
And the thread keeps on delivering!

That Dragon kill legitimately blew me away, even knowing the shenanigans you can get into in these games. What impressed me more was the writing of an in-game bewilderment and awe at the team's own accomplishments. It cannot be said enough how much your writing ability shines in this Fetus. This LP would be good without the character dialogue, no doubt, but it's what makes this a must-read!

Also, even though my picks have gotten a lot of love...
Gilbert
Nick
Pauline

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm a little curious on people's thoughts on the game so far. What do you think the floating castle looks like? And what's the deal with the bird people?

Until you mentioned this game having some of the best aesthetics (which I COMPLETELY concur with hot drat)? I couldn't help picturing the horrible samey 4th Stratum from EO3. With less pictorials. Or more :getin:

Spoiling based on vague series spoiling: Based on EO story structure bird people would be an offshoot branch of humanity that stayed in the castle while our branch of humanity descended and then started adventuring. If it isn't this I will be SHOCKED.

Old Greg fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 5, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Pauline and Gilbert have a place in my heart (for now sorry Pauline)

Nick makes me uncomfortable every time. Use Nick.

(That gag is a really great one that keeps making me chuckle)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
The golden flying saucer-ish castle on the title cards for the stratum was a cool design! I was legitimately excited to see the interior!

Then... then, oh no. Oh no. It really is best described as Piss Castle.

Complete with Piss Christ Overlord!

Also that boss dominance was beautiful to behold! Hopefully that party strength will hold for a few more floors.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mandrakes are such cool enemies. :bang:

Oof. Thanks for suffering through for our entertainment!

It really can't be said enough how unforgivably balanced these games are, and Mandrakes are the exception that prove the rule. What I've loved in this LP is seeing both how 90% of skills are dead weight, but every class can be made workable, even if they can be completely and utterly out-shined by another class.

Or in Pauline's case, you need a post-game bow early, otherwise she'll just bring blindside guard if not replaced by a gunner.

Old Greg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 16, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I literally cheered in my seat at work and threw my hands up when that Torpor went off. And then your inspired writing afterwards! This is such a wonderful LP Good Doctor. Mostly thanks to the writing. Thank you from the bottom of my over-excited heart! :banjo: :boom: :neckbeard: :toot:

Also co-signed on finish this fucker up with Climax and Revenge hexes galore if you're burning out. Consider it an early post-game Taking-Power-Into-My-Hands imperative.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Aliara and Bellamy. Still riding high on that high-five!

So tempted to go maximum overkill with Pauline, but in the interest of giving Colossus a little wiggle room to make things interesting, Fedot.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
So close. So excited. :D

I'm guessing the answer's no, but does the 23rd floor ever get mobs after Colossus goes down? I do kindof love that gimmick of "Dodge/Handle FOEs to fight the boss."

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Bellamy, Pauline, Fedot

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Uh, EO1 is a maybe. I have no idea what I'm doing after this. I don't know if I would be doing a narrative LP again if I do decide to do another EO game. This LP wasn't even supposed to be narrative in the first place since I didn't want to make the subforum suffer through MUH FANFICTION. But while I was making the test post for the Sandcastle, I found that I had nothing much to say. So I just rolled with the narrative thing since I just wanted to show off the game, and kept at it since I didn't get immediately booed off the subforum. But now that I actually have experience at LPing, I could probably just do a regular LP if I decide to do another EO game.

Also, I would not do a narrative LP for Untold. That would be completely redundant considering it already has a Story mode! I also can't, because I do not have the ability to record or screenshot 3DS games.

Legitimately, your writing style is the main draw for me. Technically without it this is still a grade A LP on all other counts, but that's what pole vaults it into being so good. Especially given how frequently you update!

But as a writer "maybe getting booed off the subforum" is how I describe all my work (hopefully this chapter won't lose me every friend I've ever had, retroactively) so just wanted to give you my perspective. :)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
So excited :allears:

Even having played through EO1 months half a year ago (because it was inspired by the EO1 LP and I finished before it's last update, which was half a year back now!), I still can't quite keep the differences in fifth stratum world history reveals straight between games. It's all a blur of EO1, 4 and the very fresh voice recordings from this game. So it'll be nice to have Fedot, a veteran of EO1's fifth stratum, to compare and contrast EO1 and 2.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
There is no reprieve from the hellish antics of the squirrel. Take a moment of pity and be made a fool.

Floor 24 has no bugs with encounter rates. You've survived that far. The squirrel needs to finish the job of killing you and all it can do is steal warp wires and mess with the encounter rate through the quest system.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Agreed with the good doctor and especially SSNeoman. It's worth not making sense to achieve the plot goal "YOU were the dicks all along!" (Even though by floor five you've already genocided a species for game-play purposes) but having the place mapped out would probably be a boon for the tourism board. "Come visit Etria's Labyrinth! We have guided tours with completed maps that inform you which flower meadows will recover HP and which will sic Venombugs on your rear end!"

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I gotta admit, knowing the meaning behind "relic" I still got thrown for a loop by the game's just-took-a-picture description until you returned to the bar.

"Ah, aha! A flash and... vellum? With strange markings? Did... did the camera print out some writing?"

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
The Bellamy Alternate Universe Fight is as entertaining as the best "What-Ifs" from DBZ fighting games.

What if Bellamy's strict passion for Interior Design clashes with the Overlord's incredulity about being confronted not for violating the natural world but for violating our eyes? Stay tuned!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

:stare: Apparently it is now. Huh, I didn't think I did THAT great a job with this LP. Glad you all thought otherwise! I certainly wasn't expecting this LP to be received that well when I first started out.

Chiming in (for like the 4th time too?) to say it was an EXCELLENT ride. Thank you good Doctor! Especially given your further hatred of the game really didn't come through, except for bugs, but understandable gripes.

Started replaying EO3 knowing this was coming to an end and still wanting an Etrian Odyssey fix every day. Very quickly got over wanting all experience bars even, which that game breaks pretty quick anyway with certain side bosses giving full heals, but I don't think I made it ten fights :v:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Definitely vote that you only hold back if it makes it more fun/interesting for YOU. Otherwise allow the revenge skill to truly live up to its name :getin:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Theantero posted:

Well since we're constantly going upwards and above the floating castle there's nothing but clouds it's obvious that we're going into some sort of cloud castle. Or perhaps... OUTER SPACE!?!

Following the Illusion of Gaia LP and gently caress me would I ever LOVE a sixth stratum that looked like the dark space from that game.

This also brings up a good point though. Are we gonna step through a wormhole to a hell dimension? Because the ending credits made it fairly clear there's a bunch of sky above the floating castle. So my vote is 6th Stratum is Hell from Event Horizon

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

on poo poo-brown.

Only one way down from piss-yellow!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Fetus, I am amazed at your commitment and resistance to burn-out. You've basically reached super-human status in each :magical:

Also part of why I love the thread is we are a community of people who consistently are pretty moral murder hobos :) No ironic defenses of saving a little girl over DRAGON SLAYING :megadeath: It was never much of a question of which quest is done first for Firefly.

(Also this joke is blown by you having already grinded but) can't wait to find out you retired the entire party to survivalists.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, if this was a "Just shoot us both idiot!" choice it might be harder, but save the winged one and then punch anyone who gives you lip in the mouth.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
It is truly a pleasure to watch you work over the post game!

...and watch it work you right back over. :atlus:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I'll vote The Party you'd like to use with the caveat that if you find it more interesting to use a different party then go whole hog. If you're loving the War Might Ricochet Revenge train, no need to get off at the next stop. :itisatrainanalogy:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, even in the postgame, Atlus still shows some generosity. Although considering the nature of the postgame, it can be easy to be on edge and decline out of paranoia.

Before seeing it was safe and reading the above, I was certain this was an easily-figured out trap. I know the name of the dungeon exploring game is "On Floor 19, no one's ever been to floor 20; on Floor 20, three quests immediately have you helping guards camping there or getting some flower someone knows all about," but I thought the log would be a monster designed to look like a comfortable log.

Because who got here before you, and had the time to take a rest? :stare:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea how I'm gonna handle that floor either. I think I might just put up the actual map from GameFAQs so I don't have to run around in circles taking all the wrong teleporters, and just go through the ones that actually take me somewhere relevant.

Voting for this and any further sanity saving measures. You have MORE than earned that with the effort you put into writing on top of the standard effort of LPing this game. It's been an amazing ride, good doctor!

To point, with only a few hours any given week to play, I started an EO3 game to get my Etrian fix thinking this was ending fairly soon a month ago-ish. I, uh... I was pretty wrong. Stratum 3's boss in EO3 and this is still going strong!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I hope for all your trouble it's a Game Genie level cheat and Fedot walks in and punches the final final boss to death. I know you wouldn't, but christ have you ever more than earned something like that!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Nthing the :getin: excitement! There's a reason III is the game I'm currently playing thanks to this thread and not IV (or 1, or comedy option this actual Etrian Odyssey) (Also I own no Untolds and the more they're mentioned the more I want to fix that).

I almost thought about having a farmer subclass because I do miss IV's bind and status supremacy. I have a ninja with maxed Fukubari, but it's not the same!

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

theshim posted:

Personally, even with one or two things like that, I greatly enjoyed the writing for this LP, and while you'll do what you think best, I for one would love to see EO3 get a similar treatment (and yes, :ironicat:)

I feel like I've complimented your writing 18 times already, but one more for the (almost there) road! This sums up my thoughts.

Although my ultimate vote is doing the LP YOU enjoy, because I'm pretty sure we'll all follow regardless.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh yes, there will be voting.

Just imagine an :atlus: There Will Be Blood photoshop here.

Alxprit posted:

That's the kind of thing that kept me from pursuing the final final bosses in these games.

I don't know that I've ever beaten one actually, because I don't know that a single one is "opaque" in terms of combat strategy (there always is at least one workable strategy). The way I do bosses in Etrian Odyssey is a few blind rushes that typically guarantee death (until Stratum Three and effective team composition begins to allow for some steamrolling!), and you'll usually learn what your weakness is, like "gently caress his buffing!" "gently caress sleep!" "gently caress THE ONLY TIME CURSE WILL DERAIL MY BOSS FIGHT!" even if it's just "Maaaaybe a few more levels after FOEs."

So it's either die to every new move and hope it's seeable how you'd prevent that death, or GameFAQs and get everything spoiled for you. At that point in these games I typically only have the final boss to do so rather than do it... I just stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Melufa posted:

I'm so very glad this LP didn't end because of those computer issues. I didn't even know bosses could do 5 digit damage, let alone do enough that it overflows multiple times and the bonus boss ends up doing single digit damage to a fresh, naked recruit.

SO the same. There's an alternate universe with less double Muckdile ambush and naked recruits surviving quintuple overflow errors and I don't wanna be in it.

• Locked thread