Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

grape room where nerd vintage chateau le blanc is made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
a women in a comic book store is like a straight guy in a gay bar don't just show up proselytizing your values expecting to be accepted

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Tarkus posted:

The room was probably called the 'rape room' because a couple of guys went in there to get stuff one day and somebody made an offhand joke that rape wasn't allowed or something. Sure it's a stupid joke but you have to remember who you're dealing with, usually nerds with few social skills. Was the 'joke' inappropriate, yes. Was she fired because she probably ran her mouth about everything that was wrong with the place? more than likely.

You use probably a lot

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i put my arm around my wife in public. that way, she cant scream rape without getting super embarrassed.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Naerasa posted:

IMO the stupidest part about all her tweets is her saying she has 'no other way' to contact the owner except by publicly tweeting the entire world.

She should just go have a chat with him in his rape room.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the new trend of insane flabby white women flaming nerds... well, its hot :D

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Everything you read on the internet is true.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how many fuckin tweets does that article need?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

A thing shambles over to you. It smells and looks of bacon grease. ,"Hchey, I ssee you play Hchero Chlicks."

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

evilpicard posted:

She should just go have a chat with him in his rape room.

Clearly the fact that he made a rape joke means he's a rapist.

God why are feminists always so loving fat? I bet this woman smells like sour milk.

JawKnee posted:

nerds are the reason games aren't art

REAL ART

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Woman Invited to Sexual Assault Station At Internet Cafe And What She Saw There Will Offend You

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thats such a specific fetish

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does anyone's workplace have a holocaust room?

It's where we store the pesticides.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This is clearly being blown way out of perspective, but at the end of the day, it's everyone being too thin-skinned.

Off color jokes are never going away. My Geman-American GF makes Nazi and holocaust jokes constantly, for instance. She has a closet she calls her "gas chamber". Sorry you got offended by the rape joke made by someone that didn't know it was one of your "triggers", twitter lady.

On the other hand, firing her for being offended then trying to shuffle the blame around is clearly the worst path they could have taken. Apologies would have probably defused things quickly and easily, but no, nerd machismo had to win the day.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I worked in a restaurant with a scary room/rape room. No one thought twice about it let alone frowned about it.

But who tells the new, I assume only, female employee that? Some weird sperglord I guess.

Room is scary, rape is scary, rape room. Makes sense to me.

Wait! Someone did get fired for tell another cook he was going to rape her. It was a usual ball busting session with such classics as "you're a human being", "i hosed your dad", "i'm gonna rape you when everyone else leaves the prep room"

You know, lighthearted stuff.

Booties fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 5, 2014

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

being trapped in a rape room is loving inhumane. everyone knows the good poo poo happens during open air rapes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
No noooo, it's the Rap Room this is a big misunderstanding

*hastily tacks up NWA poster*

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
These sound like great books to me:

Like a Sacred Desire: Tales of Sex Magic

Women of the Bite: Lesbian Vampire Erotica (just lazy imo)

Something stupid about zombies

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I've been bugging my boss to put in a fart room for months

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Naerasa posted:

IMO the stupidest part about all her tweets is her saying she has 'no other way' to contact the owner except by publicly tweeting the entire world. Really? In tyool 2014, you have no other way to contact a person but twitter? Sorry bitch but smoke-signals and skywriters are still around and they're far more efficient.

She didn't have his cell #

I mean if she called the store to see if the was there then someone might rape her in the ear

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Holy poo poo. http://creepyandgorgeous.blogspot.ca/

quote:

Just got off the phone with Larry, the owner. He called me. I wanted to relay some of what was said. He continues to maintain that he did not know I was fired and I'm inclined to believe him though I did express to him that he should be more involved in the goings on in his own store. He is claiming that the reason I was fired was because supposedly my coworkers said they did not want to work with me but fully admitted that he considers me a good employee and that he personally did not receive any complaints about me. I very specifically and pointedly asked him if during the two days I was there anyone, customer or employee, had said anything negative about me or expressed any concerns about me and he said that there were none. I pointed out to him the fact that Julian had told me on Sunday day that I was one of the people being kept on and that the schedule had been adjusted to reflect that and he said he didn't know what to say to that, that he could only speak to what was said to him after I was fired.

I still find it extremely suspect that the person who took it upon himself to fire me is the very same person who made the rape joke and that I subsequently complained about to Larry Sunday night after my shift. Larry swears that he did not tell Julian about my complaint. Maybe he's telling the truth. Maybe he's not. If he is telling the truth there is still another possibility. The conversation I had with Larry on Sunday night took place out on the sales floor within ear shot of another employee so it is also possible this employee relayed my complaint to Julian. I do not believe for one second that my complaint and my being fired are unrelated. I again offer the evidence that prior to my complaint I was told I was being kept on, was praised by Julian and Mark, was given money to buy a lock for the employee lockers, and was given the green light for various things around the store such as implementing recycling and helping with the social media. Why would all of these things happen if there were complaints about me? As I said on Twitter this seems like very simple math to me. I was told I was doing a good job. I lodged a complaint about inappropriate behavior. I was fired.

Larry continued to defend Julian. Apparently Julian is claiming that it was someone standing behind me that made the rape comment but I was standing right in front of Julian. My hearing and eyesight are not so bad that I cannot tell when a person is speaking in front of me. Larry admits that he told me I should have taken my concerns to Julian myself. I "played back" what he was suggesting and he admitted it was not sound advice. I said, "So, you told me, as a female employee who was made to feel uncomfortable, that I should confront the person who made me uncomfortable who is also in a position of power over me. Does that make sense?" and he admitted it didn't. He says that he has now spoken to Julian and that's fine and dandy but too bad he wasn't willing to speak to him before the media got hold of this.

In a roundabout way he apologized but he made a lot of excuses too. He just kept repeating that he didn't know what happened, that he thought everything was fine, and that he wished I had gotten in touch with him. I feel I should note that no apology was made in regards to the rape room comments or the touching. It was only in regards to how everything went down in terms of Julian blocking my entrance to the store and not being able to contact Larry. Basically, he is standing by Julian and standing by the belief that his other employees don't want me there. Maybe that last part is true. Maybe it's not. I have no idea. I can only go by what I witnessed which was people telling me I was doing a good job.

So basically we're at a stalemate. He says a press release is going out tomorrow but I have a feeling it will not be a satisfactory one. He seems to be focusing more on the fact that I was fired and not on the inappropriate things that happened in his store. I tried several times to shift the conversation back to those specific issues but he kept steering back to saying he didn't know what was going on and he's not always there and that supposedly employees are now saying they didn't want to work with me so he has to go by what they say despite him praising me over the weekend and no complaints being lodged about me till after I was fired. He did this weird kind of see-sawing between saying that he doesn't think any of his current employees would ever lie to him but that he believes all the former employees coming forward with complaints are lying. That seems odd to me. People are truthful while they work for you and liars once they no longer work for you?

I expressed to him that I felt hurt considering he continued to insist throughout the phone call that he thinks of me as a friend. I told him he should do some serious objective thinking in regards to Julian as an employee. I advised him not to gloss over the issue of the rape jokes and unwanted touching. I told him this whole thing is putting me in dire financial straits that could have been avoided with clearer communication and fair treatment.

That's the gist of the phone call. I want to make it clear that I am glad that he called. I now have his phone number should I need/want to contact him again. I appreciate that he made an effort to communicate but it is unfortunate that it was so long after and it still did not really adequately address the situation. Perhaps the forthcoming statement online will.

Someone asked me what I want to come of all this. It's a difficult question to answer partly because I've never been in this situation before so I am not wholly aware of all my options and partly because I've been very busy trying to keep up with everyone's questions and messages. It hasn't left a lot of time for reflection. That being said, there are a couple of things that come to mind but let me stress that these are not demands in any way, shape, or form, nor are they things I actually expect to happen. Think of it more as wishful thinking?

I do not think that Julian should be working there. I feel he is a detriment to the store. This statement is based solely on the little experience I had with him which includes him attempting to follow me on Twitter after firing me and presumably after learning I was uncomfortable with his jokes and touching. I was very unnerved when I saw that he followed me and it seemed to me common sense that he should not be doing it.

I think that myself and the general public are owed a sincere apology in regards to the rape jokes and unwanted touching and I actually did tell Larry that so I guess we'll see what the statement says.

I think the employees there, including Larry and Julian, should undergo sensitivity training in regards to sex, gender, and homophobia. Another thing I witnessed in my short time there was an employee using a homophobic slur right in front of customers.

And in a perfect world, I would love to receive compensation in the form of lost wages as I was expecting to be working there through the end of December and arranged my finances accordingly. But I realize this last one falls more in the realm of fantasy.

These are the things that come to mind at this point in time. On a grander scale, it is my hope that by shedding light on these events it will continue to shed a light on the misogyny prevalent within geek culture and open and honest dialog about these subjects. All people of all genders deserve to have safe spaces for the things that they love. One of the things I was most excited about in working at Harrison's was being a female employee that would hopefully encourage more women to shop there and to read comics and to feel safe and comfortable within that little corner of geek culture. It is truly unfortunate I was not able to do that and I am sorry for any failings on my part.

I also want to say a quick thank you to the few customers I did wait on. A number of you have contacted me and told me how happy you were with my service. I am so glad I was able to help even if it was just a little bit and I am truly sorry that I will not be there to assist you in the future.

Thank you.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another odd thing. One of the employees that was cited as having complained about me is someone I never actually worked with. This individual was not in the store when I was. Seems a little strange that someone I never worked with would complain about me.

EDIT #2: I apologize for the edits but I keep thinking of stuff to add. Another thing maybe worth mentioning is that I worked for Larry in the 1990's. During that time no complaints were lodged against me either by employees or customers. I left the store on amicable terms solely because I needed a better paying job. So again, just interesting, that during my initial employment the first time around there were no issues with me as an employee but this time, after lodging a complaint against Julian, I am supposedly suddenly disliked by the staff. Interesting.

All for two loving days in a retail job?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bonzo posted:

She didn't have his cell #

Does he not have an email address, or a linkedin profile, or a personal facebook page, or a mailbox, or a front door either? All of these options are better than crying like a bitch on twitter.

lmao at a comic book store putting out a press release

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
suck it up and take it like a man , woman

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
idk what state this is in but lol if its at will employment nothing she says or does even matters

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bonzo posted:

There have been some indications that people who want to work in a comic book store might be mental, but scientists are still working on that.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
What, you can't call the back room the rape room anymore? FEMINAZIS

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Naerasa posted:

Does he not have an email address, or a linkedin profile, or a personal facebook page, or a mailbox, or a front door either? All of these options are better than crying like a bitch on twitter.

she could have sent him a private message on twitter. right after she said "i have no way to contact you" she said "i'm not going to tweet you directly"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Booties posted:

I worked in a restaurant with a scary room/rape room. No one thought twice about it let alone frowned about it.

But who tells the new, I assume only, female employee that? Some weird sperglord I guess.

Room is scary, rape is scary, rape room. Makes sense to me.

Wait! Someone did get fired for tell another cook he was going to rape her. It was a usual ball busting session with such classics as "you're a human being", "i hosed your dad", "i'm gonna rape you when everyone else leaves the prep room"

You know, lighthearted stuff.
Yeah that's my guess at what the joke is. I've heard people (nerdier people) refer to a room/basement that is poorly lit and creepy as a rape/murder room or rape dungeon. The "joke" is that it seems like the kind of place in a comic/book/show/movie/whatever where bad things would happen to people.

That said it is kind of atrocious that she got fired over complaining about it. If someone asks you politely to not tell that kind of joke around them then if you're not an rear end in a top hat you should stop. I think maybe going directly to the boss is unneccessary unless they continue I guess but if she was fired for making the complaint that's pretty lovely.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tuxedo Gin posted:

she could have sent him a private message on twitter. right after she said "i have no way to contact you" she said "i'm not going to tweet you directly"

Yeah I also don't think she handled it well afterwards going straight to public tweeting rather than any private correspondence, between that and going straight to the boss rather than just trying to talk it out with julian is kind of a pattern of needless escalation. Those are options if the people don't work with you but she skipped right to them.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Write a letter, tie it to a brick, and throw that poo poo in the store front window you tard.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if this is how she reacts over being let go after 2 days of employ in a lovely comic shop imagine how she would react if told she couldn't do something, in the store, though

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

it's all part of obama's anti-rape conspiracy. what woman wants to work in a comic book store, anyway? they probably sent her in with the express purpose of finding something to feel harassed about

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
gonna go against the grain/hivemind and say rape is a good thing. it's an equalizer and keeps the gene pool diverse

do you think elliot rodgers would have went on a killing spree if he just raped once in and awhile? i dont think so

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 5, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if u think about it the only sex in the animal kingdom is rape, and they dont seem to mind, only us humans do, how about that ???

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bonzo posted:

I'm trying to be sympathetic but she's making such a huge deal about it that it feels like most of her butthurt is coming from the huge stick up her rear end

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If you read her earlier text dump about how in only two days she was such a good worker and affected so much positive change in the store and still had so many ideas to improve everything, ohmygawd, then it becomes incredibly likely that she got fired because the store manager was annoyed by her.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
anyone who actually tries to "Do poo poo" in a retail store the first week should be fired immediately

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Randler posted:

If you read her earlier text dump about how in only two days she was such a good worker and affected so much positive change in the store and still had so many ideas to improve everything, ohmygawd, then it becomes incredibly likely that she got fired because the store manager was annoyed by her.

yeah in the first tweets she's like "I started a recycling program" and then in the blog its "I got the green light to start a recycling program".

How hard is that to setup? "Hey guys. can you put paper in the blue bin? Thanks"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

checks out, more depth and complexity than your average LAN party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

notice to all crazy SJWs: people might take your arguments more seriously if you weren't a thin-skinned entitled moron

• Locked thread