Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a narcissist?
Yes
No
Maybe
View Results

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I'm glad women have better self-esteem.

They were pressured to.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

gorki posted:

i am a low self-esteem millennial babby and tbh i sometimes think if someone offered me a pill that would allow me to become a dead-eyed narcissist i would take it because they really do seem to be the majority in my age group and they seem to have an easier time getting places in life. although elliot rodger... :stare:

their's big differences between popularly labeled narcissism and the clinical one like eliot rodger had. eliot rodger obviously had an incredibly weak ego that got overwhelmed by everything, which led to him becoming hilariously delusional. the type of narcissism that is used to label is more about not having a sense of responsibility and being excessively materialistic and obsessed with status.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

lets get rid of millennials

i'll get a shovel

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

same

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gorki posted:

okay maybe i should have said 'gigantic malignant buttholes with no morals and no consideration for peoples' feelings who treat others as objects to be manipulated to advance their quest for self gratification and aggrandizement'

the great part is that american culture, especially american corporate culture, is based upon this exact thing. so people are encouraged to be this way.

i'm pretty sure there was a study that found that people with actual narcissistic personality disorder were far more likely to become ceo's and poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm a horrible person and the reason everything is poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
But what if you are a very important person? Are you supposed to pretend you're not? Seems vain.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
a study found that college freshmen are retarded??

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Oh my God, a 12.2% jump of a nebulously defined parameter over a 26 year span, and plotted in a purposefully misleading manner. Better start making bold proclamations about the psychological state of millions of people.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
boomers were raised by a generation who had to be told that you should uhhhh maybe interact with your child instead of leaving them alone in a shipping crate all day

so yeah the kids of today are alright, imo, in comparison

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah millennials own

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
it's pretty awesome that the conclusion of the study is that people should feel weak and impotent at all times, or else they're crazy. looks like the soviet union is actually winning the cold war, in retrospect

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I post everyday about how smart I am on twitter.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
i learned if from watching youuuuuu

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
like how can anyone say anything about millenials being so self-centered when in every single city in the country theres at least 2 radio stations that still play the exact same rock music from 1970-1982

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shiksa posted:

like how can anyone say anything about millenials being so self-centered when in every single city in the country theres at least 2 radio stations that still play the exact same rock music from 1970-1982

Because it's a scientific fact that those were the years Rock was perfected.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

let's come up with a new friendly term for each other. i like "milli"

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Behavioral neoteny becomes the norm within 5 generations of mammals raised in captivity.

The manbaby effect is real! Wake up lample!

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
please don't waken the lamp people they're dangerous

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm so old I'm legally recognized as a hydrocarbon in the state of Texas and I say it all started going downhill when we took Jesus out of the superbowl

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you won't be laughing when grumpy cat is president

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm so old I'm legally recognized as a hydrocarbon in the state of Texas and I say it all started going downhill when we took Jesus out of the superbowl

janet jackson's nipple marked the end of civilization, i heard :ohdear:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

shiksa posted:

something something don't know the value of hard work something something bootstraps something something parasites

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
ya millennials haven't been collectively beaten to feel that they owe something to society so they just poo poo post irl, also the way narcissists is used to attack young people is something i remember being used on the grunge scene when i was a lil kid i wouldnt be surprised if it's been around since that one psychologist told parents to love their kids and not beat them back in the 40's.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
everything was better when i was younger and was less aware of the world around me.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Got a link to the original research so that I can read it for myself?

gently caress man, narcissism sucks.

:circlefap:

These studies are hilarious because they always make it into my google news feed. Heritage and Cato, I think, drew similar conclusions from their own entirely unbiased studies.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

EA Sports posted:

ya millennials haven't been collectively beaten to feel that they owe something to society so they just poo poo post irl, also the way narcissists is used to attack young people is something i remember being used on the grunge scene when i was a lil kid i wouldnt be surprised if it's been around since that one psychologist told parents to love their kids and not beat them back in the 40's.

its been around since the days when Cato the Younger went around dressing like the roman equivalent of a guy who wears a top hat and tails everywhere while bitching about how kids today dont know the value of killing your own brother for treason against the state

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

its been around since the days when Cato the Younger went around dressing like the roman equivalent of a guy who wears a top hat and tails everywhere while bitching about how kids today dont know the value of killing your own brother for treason against the state

Someone post that trite quote that gets attributed to Plato or some Assyrian tablet and pass it off as deep and insightful.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Someone post that trite quote that gets attributed to Plato or some Assyrian tablet and pass it off as deep and insightful.

"Tis Better to Burn Out
Then to Fade Away".

- Cato the Elder

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

smh...

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
The true millennial way is to overestimate one's own skills while simultaneously generating an endless supply of self-loathing.

That's why you should pick "maybe" in the poll.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
people struggling to survive are generally pretty obsessed with their own survival

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Some poo poo rear end local news program said that Millennials now count for folks up to age 36. I used to count for a tail end gen Xer. This is utter bullshit. loving vainglorious turds need to keep their jam covered hands off my loving identity. :getout:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” -Socrates

this one?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live. -- Plato

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” -Socrates

this one?

that's one, but there's also one from sumeria that complains about how everyone is writing a book now

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm literally kissing my biceps right now.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Lightanchor posted:

I'm impressed by your joke

i was hoping it wasn't too vague :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im pretty sure socrates encouraged that kind of behavior tho. its why athens murked him.

• Locked thread