Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

the problem with convertibles is they need a table, you can't put them on your lap or on the bed or something and expect to use it like a laptop, the kickstand doesnt work well and the weight balance is all wrong

Yeah, while it works a lot better for typing on my lap or in bed than I expected, it really can't beat a real laptop in that department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
if you think the line between rich and poor is an ipad you're probably poor hth

edit: large print e-reader for olds

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

its like a cool lil tv i can take around w/ me

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I have an iPad mini with an old Zagg keyboard cover at work, gonna try and see if it's useful for hauling around to all the stupid meetings I have to go into these days.

I got a Surface RT from work as well and tried to use it for the same thing but goddamn I hated that flat default keyboard cover. I do hear the Surface 3 kicks rear end though.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
it's a laptop and a tablet at the price of a better laptop and a better tablet combined

truly revolutionary

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I got mine from a will and I use it for netflix, so yeah its good

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
iPads are a great way to flaunt your wealth to the Kindle proletariat and for shitposting whilst taking a dump.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

ItBurns posted:

if you think the line between rich and poor is an ipad you're probably poor hth

edit: large print e-reader for olds

olds fuckkin love iPads can confirm

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Watching netflix and poo poo while sat in hotel rooms / airports / planes when on business trips.

If I wasn't doing that then I wouldn't have bought one.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

People making GBS threads on apple always makes me happy :sun:

Edit: Also don't use your iDevice with anything Exchange based because holy poo poo Apple spends no effort acting like the rest of the world exist. The worse headaches. Another reason they're toys for babbys

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the names sounds like something a lady would need for her period

just imho

its an unfortunate name

Harald fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 6, 2014

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

gggiiimmmppp posted:

It's cool how mac people laugh about android/windows tablets but when apple finally puts a grown up OS on a tablet with a real CPU and some usb ports and poo poo they'll all nod sagely and chant in unison that this is innovation at its best, clearly inspired by the ghost of the late genius steve jobs

LOL if you think this is ever going to happen. The iPad owns for browsing and poo poo posting when you're on the couch. It's the best tablet for the majority of people and sales numbers show this.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
make your own out of an old laptop screen and a raspberry pi

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gggiiimmmppp posted:

It's cool how mac people laugh about android/windows tablets but when apple finally puts a grown up OS on a tablet with a real CPU and some usb ports and poo poo they'll all nod sagely and chant in unison that this is innovation at its best, clearly inspired by the ghost of the late genius steve jobs

Just like how a big feature of iOS 8 is custom keyboards, since the stock keyboard is a piece of poo poo, meaning they're finally getting swype like the rest of the world

dafuq do u want a usb on a tablet for? get a fukken laptop for that poo poo pleb.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
Friends and family can watch videos easier while gathered around the ipad instead of around your phone but I guess if you don't have any friends and nobody loves you then yeah an Android phone works just fine.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

G.I. Jaw posted:

Friends and family can watch videos easier while gathered around the ipad instead of around your phone but I guess if you don't have any friends and nobody loves you then yeah an Android phone works just fine.

lol

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
show nana that one video with the cat

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ZombieParts posted:

When i first got it I found browsing to be really nice. The screen was much better than my laptop. So i thought "oooh I'll watch movies" but then I find out I have to convert every loving file I own in order to watch it on this thing and the screen is really too small to enjoy the movie. I had it set up next to the computer with my social networks poo poo running on it but it's usefulness fell to nothing before long so I sold it.

You dumb motherfucker. You can download any file to it using VLC on your Desktop and it'll run any file using the VLC app on the iPad

God drat no wonder everyone thinks they're poo poo

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I lay in bed and browse somethingawful then go to sleep

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use my iPad for textbooks and also I can access my college poo poo with it and I use it to FaceTime with my 89 year old grandmother because she owns

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

simosimo posted:

I lay in bed and browse somethingawful then go to sleep

jailbreak so you can install flux if you ipad in bed. worst thing about ipads is they don't let you do cool things unless you jailbreak

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Berious posted:

jailbreak so you can install flux if you ipad in bed. worst thing about ipads is they don't let you do cool things unless you jailbreak

reminder that apple lobbied and failed and continues to lobby to make jailbreaking a DMCA violation that they can litigate

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Berious posted:

I've pondered it because I love flux, is there a guide to doing this on the current iOS? Never broken anything but I'll give it a shot capitain

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

simosimo posted:

I've pondered it because I love flux, is there a guide to doing this on the current iOS? Never broken anything but I'll give it a shot capitain

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396&pagenumber=245&perpage=40#post431377441

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what is flux summarize in a few short words thanks

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

someone gave one to me and its laying around somewhere forgotten

in fact ive noticed lots of people get ipads as gifts i wonder why everyyone is giving them away hmmmrr

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Robo Reagan posted:

what is flux summarize in a few short words thanks

Turns screen orange make eyes not burn

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
I,m gay

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
I bought a surface pro and it was the worst. Buy a lenovo yoga if you're thinking about a surface.

Excel or any word processing will never be functional on a tablet.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The iPad is a miracle of technology that I use mostly for reading on the toilet

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

angerbot posted:

The iPad is a miracle of technology that I use mostly for reading on the toilet

if science ever finds a solution to having to poop the entire global tablet market fill fizzle out and die

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Ill Peripheral posted:

I bought a surface pro and it was the worst. Buy a lenovo yoga if you're thinking about a surface.

Excel or any word processing will never be functional on a tablet.

which one though

pros 1 and 2 were very compromised, with the fixed hinges and had the stupid 16:9 screen, but i think the pro 3 is objectively very good

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

LifeSizePotato posted:

which one though

pros 1 and 2 were very compromised, with the fixed hinges and had the stupid 16:9 screen, but i think the pro 3 is objectively very good

1. Hated the fixed hinges, didn't know they made them adjustable with the 3, cause you can't use the thing on your lap. Also the keyboard was too flimsy; again, couldn't type on my lap.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
If $500 materialized into my hands I would cheer and use it to buy something other than an ipad.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Lichy posted:

do you regret your purchase? is there any good reason to own an ipad? do you ever use it for anything productive/work? or is it just an expensive outlet for your blatant and mindless consumerism so you can play candy crush?

tia

Gay

naem
May 29, 2011

I have to say I don't understand why Microsoft hasn't gotten on the portable device gravy train hardly.

Like they've produced several products but they've sucked mostly.

Like, make an app store for fucks sake. Make a dev kit and pay all the app guys to do a Microsoft version. Make your phone/pad sync with windows/office, make it corporate IT friendly, make your Versions cost less than apple and market it as an INTEGRATED SYSTEM and market it well.

Not this half assed late to the party bs.

naem
May 29, 2011

EVERYBODY uses windows, right? And every corporate IT department issues blackberries for years.

Why didn't Microsoft buy blackberry and make a touch screen Windows phone, with a full app store, that was corporate IT friendly with blackberry's strong encryption, and market it by saying IPHONE AND ANDROID ARE FUN TOYS, HERE'S THE GROWN UP VERSION and then have people playing angry birds or watching Netflix in a suit as a wacky OUR PHONE DOES THE SAME poo poo tie in ad.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
because microsoft is dumb and run by idiots

naem
May 29, 2011

FordPRefectLL posted:

They really are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Ill Peripheral posted:

1. Hated the fixed hinges, didn't know they made them adjustable with the 3, cause you can't use the thing on your lap. Also the keyboard was too flimsy; again, couldn't type on my lap.

yeah, sp1 was a decent idea but not that great as a product. they've really got something with the 3 though. keyboard/trackpad are way better also

somewhat unrelated emptyquote:

FordPRefectLL posted:

• Locked thread