Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cixorez
Aug 19, 2015

Action-Hank's #1 Rule:

"It's wrong to be a Brony !!"

FelixReynolds posted:

Not at the moment - PvP is honestly one of the games weakest parts, unfortunately. It can still be fun, but it suffers from lack of adequate matchmaking based on things like gear (instead it's a strictly lvl vs equal lvl proposition) and from some rather poor balance.

That said, the new mod is due to introduce an entirely new kind of PvP in a month or so, and that may or may not be better.

heh i was in that "entirely new kind of PvP" - its called DOTA or generic moba if u prefer - only from 3rd person perspective

at least thats what i call 1 loving map with 3 lanes
only difference is the balance - there is none

in dota everyone gets zero bonus goodies at start
not so in SH where u can amble along til u meet the p2w zerg of absolute/midnight/shoppe

--

i was on the pvp alpha testserver - 3 times
more than half of the ppl on then i inspected had the good stuff - aka around 4k ilvl and full 4teal 4orange 2transcendent
even the devs (inspected panderus and some goatdude) were at max ilvl

imagine:
u and ur mate are at a stack of supplies, noones around, everything looks peachy
boom headshot from one totally invis murderdude and u cant do anything about it - been there

imagine:
u learned from that encounter and bring a full 5man
only to meet the OP paladin for whom u d need another full 5man to bring down - done that (or rather we did not cause a TR joined the OP ;)

imagine:
u did those 2 things and decide to join the 10-15 zerg that goes through the middle
only to run into the remaining other 17-18 fully decked hardcore pvp dudes that just slaughter everyone and move on as if nothing has happened

the 3rd time the devs themselves only stayed for half an hour and then left quietly

--

i sometimes calculated the RL worth of my char depending on current market prices etc
2-3k RL bux and rising every module will make u competitive - sort of
depends on class too a bit but i guess u catch my drift...
with leadership gone... cant see it rly...

--

regarding the bans:
the secondary one might get suspension lifted - maybe
my main: nothing definitive til now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Guild pretty much dead? Just popped in to this.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Kortel posted:

Guild pretty much dead? Just popped in to this.

Eh, so-so. Lost some older players, got some newer ones, Something Lawful still trundles along.

We're making decent-but-slow progress on the Stronghold but any additional people we get in are going to help that immensely, and progress should hopefully pick up soon when a lot of our newer additions hit the level cap. Game just got patched to make the level 60-70 grind much better, and they seem to be reasonably quick on fixing the inevitably broken things they put in with the last major expansion. So all in all, could be better, but not dead by a long shot.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Leveling post-60 definitely feels better. I still feel like a murderbot who has to kill endless numbers of cultists, but at least I'm able to advance my experience bar a little in doing so.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 24, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the post-60 game has been toned down considerably since Elemental Evil released. They cut the zone progression in half and monsters are much less meatwally than they were before.

Also, generation of Influence in the stronghold has ramped up significantly, basically 3x what it was before. So if people come on and do HEs, any hour of the day, that will help us over the next big hump in guild construction.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
In as Lilliana@looklookie.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Andor Trollfist@babytooth83 if there's room for a fat dwarf cleric

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Invites out to both - if you miss them the first time post in here, otherwise have fun and if you have any questions as always feel free to ask!

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Running around as a Hunter Ranger, seems pretty fun so far. Foundry Quests don't really seem worth is except for the daily AD.
Working on the Tower District plot right now.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Kortel posted:

Running around as a Hunter Ranger, seems pretty fun so far. Foundry Quests don't really seem worth is except for the daily AD.

Foundry was a lot better when they had the regular extra-XP events every few hours. No idea why they pulled them.

That said, Foundry gets much more appealing after you've leveled your first class or two and you start looking for something to do for the next one that isn't the same set of quests in the same set of zones or a billion skirmish runs. This is probably less-true with all the expansion content that's gone in, but I dunno-- I'm just getting back in after like a year away.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I played one where I defeated the Power Rangers, that was worth a short chuckle.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

ElGroucho posted:

I played one where I defeated the Power Rangers, that was worth a short chuckle.

Tired of being a Hero? Was pretty alright.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kortel posted:

Unless it's a lot different on PC, being a hunter-ranger gets a lot less fun once you get up to 60+ and try to run dungeons.

I think my cleric is my favorite right now, except for the people who seem to think I can keep them alive no matter what dumb thing they attempt to do. My abilities have limitations!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there ever a time where we are going to be all online at the same time being best friends?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Unless it's a lot different on PC, being a hunter-ranger gets a lot less fun once you get up to 60+ and try to run dungeons.

I think my cleric is my favorite right now, except for the people who seem to think I can keep them alive no matter what dumb thing they attempt to do. My abilities have limitations!

PC HR is, in my opinion which is obviously incredibly biased because it's my main, incredibly viable for both solo and group content if you're specced correctly. Unfortunately, this means there is one spec which is dominant, but if you play that you are an absolute monster.

ElGroucho posted:

Is there ever a time where we are going to be all online at the same time being best friends?

My hope is that once a lot of the newer additions hit 70 we can start organizing weekend dungeon runs to just blast out content and get everyone into a T2 armor set/get all the seals they want to gear out alts. I'm happy to set times, but not sure if the majority of people still around are US or EU based TZs right now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

FelixReynolds posted:

PC HR is, in my opinion which is obviously incredibly biased because it's my main, incredibly viable for both solo and group content if you're specced correctly. Unfortunately, this means there is one spec which is dominant, but if you play that you are an absolute monster.

I'm not saying it isn't viable, I used to play one too. It's just I can't tell you how many times I would get either instantly vote kicked from groups when they saw me or vote kicked at the end of a dungeon once I passed level 60 with my HR. I've never had that happen with any other class. Not to mention a lot of players acting like they were generally useless. But it was the Xbone version and I heard they changed things with the vote kicking system in the newer mods so maybe it's better.

Also have they changed anything with HR? I haven't played one in a while and I've seen some higher level guys using some stuff I've never seen before. I have one that I've been neglecting to level.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not saying it isn't viable, I used to play one too. It's just I can't tell you how many times I would get either instantly vote kicked from groups when they saw me or vote kicked at the end of a dungeon once I passed level 60 with my HR. I've never had that happen with any other class. Not to mention a lot of players acting like they were generally useless. But it was the Xbone version and I heard they changed things with the vote kicking system in the newer mods so maybe it's better.

Also have they changed anything with HR? I haven't played one in a while and I've seen some higher level guys using some stuff I've never seen before. I have one that I've been neglecting to level.

Ah, yes - the whole kicking situation on Xbox was atrocious but from what I've heard HRs had it particularly rough. Lots of people playing the class (because of Aragorn or Drizzt or Legolas or whatever) combined with the class being relatively easy to screw up meant lots of bad HRs out there.

The updates HR's received with Mod 6 was hit or miss - there are some GREAT new abilities between 60-70 that theoretically would have been great on people wanting to play a specific stance exclusively (Archers or Combat HRs) but partly because of the insane damage and HP buffs mobs got Trapper ended up being the go-to build as you could spam out tons of encounters for damage while being incredibly survivable due to immune frames and Fox's Cunning being up almost constantly. I'm actually really interested in playing around with my old Archer spec now that they've made the rollbacks to the Mod 6 numbers but in the meantime if you have an HR on PC you can take to 70 it's fairly fun and rewarding to play through as a Trapper and murder your poor finger joints pushing buttons so fast.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

FelixReynolds posted:

Ah, yes - the whole kicking situation on Xbox was atrocious but from what I've heard HRs had it particularly rough. Lots of people playing the class (because of Aragorn or Drizzt or Legolas or whatever) combined with the class being relatively easy to screw up meant lots of bad HRs out there.

The updates HR's received with Mod 6 was hit or miss - there are some GREAT new abilities between 60-70 that theoretically would have been great on people wanting to play a specific stance exclusively (Archers or Combat HRs) but partly because of the insane damage and HP buffs mobs got Trapper ended up being the go-to build as you could spam out tons of encounters for damage while being incredibly survivable due to immune frames and Fox's Cunning being up almost constantly. I'm actually really interested in playing around with my old Archer spec now that they've made the rollbacks to the Mod 6 numbers but in the meantime if you have an HR on PC you can take to 70 it's fairly fun and rewarding to play through as a Trapper and murder your poor finger joints pushing buttons so fast.

That's good to hear. Most of what Ive read has been kind of negative about HR but I liked the idea of the class so much i rolled one anyway.

Also If you guys have room i'd like an invite at Jimlit@Gavek.

cixorez
Aug 19, 2015

Action-Hank's #1 Rule:

"It's wrong to be a Brony !!"
well now its official - cix got perma hammered
all the best to whoever keeps up the fight
was fun those 2 years we had
may the pugs bless...

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Rip in peace cix. :(

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Semisponge posted:

Rip in peace cix. :(

Agreed. :(

In SH news, we now have enough resources to start upgrading the Guild Hall itself except for Influence, which is supposed to be the big bottleneck. You can get Influence by running the various HE's scattered around the Stronghold map and completing them. The smaller HE's are fairly easily solo'd by nearly any level 70, the mediums are also fairly easy if you're decently geared and specced, and the large ones can be done with as few as two people (Alucard and I did the Beholder one a few days ago).

You get the biggest influence reward for your first completed HE, regardless of size, and then diminishing amounts for each successive one until you hit your daily cap (400) which resets at 3:00 AM PST. So, the best way to get Influence is to blitz smaller HE's, and if you aren't at level 70 yet or don't think you can solo them, then tag along with anyone that is if people are on - you'll still get your influence just for helping out.

On top of that, once we hit the next level marketplace you can start buying the various Guild Armor sets for guild marks (no other currencies needed). This means anyone that hits 70 or is at 70 but not in T2 yet and has a decent pile of marks will be able to get into a really nice armor set without needing to grind out dungeons for seals.

Falented, could we change the big bold message at the top of the OP from 'basically dead' to 'much less active'? I'm totally for people knowing the old guard is moving on, but if people are trying out the game they can join SL while they level, take anything they need/want from the Gbank (which is going to be amazingly flush as many of the leaving folks have donated all their stuff) and then if they still think the guild isn't active enough finding greener pastures once they've hit 70.

Additionally, getting a link to the fantastic SH post by Glazius would be very helpful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just to add real quick: the only reasons to do any of the larger-scale HEs are a) they look fun or b) you want a chance at a refining stone drop or a piece of guild companion equipment (with an overload slot for the new slayer marks) in addition to the random rank 5 enchantment that baby HEs give you.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

If nobody objects, I'm going to start drafting an updated OP to start a new thread in for Mod 7 since those of us still playing are going to have to rebuild, maybe not from *quite* the ground up but definitely something close.

In other news, if you've been having terrible connection/lag issues lately, it's due to a major ISP issue affecting Boston where the servers are located. So it's not your problem, it's Cryptics.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

FelixReynolds posted:

If nobody objects, I'm going to start drafting an updated OP to start a new thread in for Mod 7 since those of us still playing are going to have to rebuild, maybe not from *quite* the ground up but definitely something close.

In other news, if you've been having terrible connection/lag issues lately, it's due to a major ISP issue affecting Boston where the servers are located. So it's not your problem, it's Cryptics.

In additional news, to get around this (and it'll be really obvious, 30 second lag spikes all over the place) use the launcher it drops in the Program Files directory, not the Arc launcher. Click "options" at the top and you'll have the option to proxy updates and gameplay through an EU server, which gets around the problematic network segment.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Glazius posted:

In additional news, to get around this (and it'll be really obvious, 30 second lag spikes all over the place) use the launcher it drops in the Program Files directory, not the Arc launcher. Click "options" at the top and you'll have the option to proxy updates and gameplay through an EU server, which gets around the problematic network segment.

Another thing worth noting in the current build-- because I just ran into this-- is there is some kind of awful code in the mission tracker right now. My GTX970 hits the 60fps limit easy when I hit escape (the UI turns off) and drops into the sub-20 range when the UI is up. Disabling the mission tracker fixes this issue, though it is super-annoying to play this way. Supposedly they're aware of this and fixing it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just realized I can sell all this garbage crafting stuff I don't use at the auction house

• Locked thread