Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
Let me know when an automatic transmission can read your mind and downshift in preparation for overtaking someone.

Back on topic, GA aircraft are very stingy with payload. A 4-seater aircraft is really only suitable for 2 adults, fuel, and some camping gear. Adding a chute takes away some very precious weight. Additionally some aircraft manufacturers 'cheat' and rely on the chute instead of fixing problems with their airframe. In the case of Cirrus aircraft, if you get into a spin, you are supposed to pop the chute (which results in an uncontrolled landing, possibly hard enough to give spinal damage, possibly writing-off the airframe) instead of doing a fairly trivial spin-recovery with the normal controls.

If you want to improve safety we'd be better off making it easier for manufacturers to legally upgrade designs (automatic mixture control, fuel injection etc) rather then stick with obsolete designs due to legal barriers. Sure engines designed circa WWII have a proven track record, but we'll never move forward if it's too difficult to bring new ones into service. Sure Light Sport Aircraft exist which have less red tape, but the airframe strength has to be compromised to meet an arbitrary weight restriction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Sylink posted:

Is there a reason small plane engines still have carbs vs being fuel injected? I'm guessing it has to do with power.
A portion of them do, but many, many don't. I'm not sure what the US situation is like but in Australia the average small plane is 27 years old. Our regulatory system is a nightmare, and changing anything to make it safer is very difficult.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Job Truniht posted:

In general, commercial aviation is a better alternative to chutes and GA should just be banned outright.
I was wondering how long until some Nanny State moron insisted on banning something they know gently caress-all about. We got to 2 pages. Good job D&D.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
Reminder: (most) Gliders don't have engines yet can fly for 8 hours straight - whatever radio wizardry must not drain their batteries. Gliders themselves can cost under 10k so are hardly a "rich mans toy". There are also planes flying without electrical systems.

See and Avoid does generally work given such a tiny percent of fatalities are due to mid-airs.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
Luckily no-one is saying that then!

e: Actually it can be faster for some short trips, given the lack of security processing on takeoff.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Trabisnikof posted:

You seriously think a multiple thousand dollar toy that requires a lot of other expenses to get to use isn't a "rich mans toy"?
Awesome, I'm rich and I didn't even know it.

Seriously not everyone is on minimum wage, and the world isn't divided into "minimum wage" and "dirty richos".

e: To be at least mildly constructive, a winch-launched glider flight in Australia is about $15 per launch + 70c/minute aircraft hire. Instruction is free, but you have to pay an annual club membership. Even on our minimum wage of $17/hour, if you want it badly enough, you can afford a flight every few weeks.

e: VVVV I don't own an aircraft. Most people are members of clubs or syndicates to make it affordable.

My Lil Parachute fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 8, 2014

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Job Truniht posted:

Now which one of those planes on that "list" aren't:

1) 30 years old
2) Never had an engine/airframe overhaul
3) Need repairs

Incredibly, people who are not rich (but not dirt poor) can sometimes still achieve their goals by compromising on things like that.

We need a "D&D: No Poors or College Students" subforum.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

My Q-Face posted:

Actually, the increased weight of the parachute is going to affect the plane's ability to glide. The Increased wing-load is going to increase the descent rate, reducing the distance over the ground that the plane can travel and reducing the pilot's options for finding a safe landing spot.

Hi! Glider pilot here. The descent rate goes up, but so does your best glide speed. It all works out in the wash. FYI gliders are known to deliberately increase weight (with water ballast) on days with good lift because it lets them travel faster. If it reduced glide ratio you can bet they wouldn't do it.

e: To me the main argument against mandatory parachutes is - there are a huge number of aircraft already out there and their design simply never allowed for such a modification. In many cases the retrofit would be prohibitively expensive - how would you add a chute to a Piper Cub?

Making them mandatory in new aircraft will not save that many lives, given the existing fleet would be grandfathered in. Instead of hiding behind BS laws introduced for our own safety, I wish the wowsers would just come out and say they hate all fun (planes, jet skis, muscle cars etc) that doesn't involve hugging trees or other pissant activities.

My Lil Parachute fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 12, 2014

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
Because it's impossible to save up 60 grand or so for an aircraft (that you can later resell) unless you are rich, right? No way could you buy a shitter house & save (possibly pooling your cash with a few friends) for something that you're passionate about.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
Not to mention, height is safety - it gives you more time to think and more places to land. Compared to a motorbike there are less things to hit in the air.

e: do we have anyone with actual PIC time who is for compulsory chutes?

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

ErIog posted:

In terms of real content, you guys have still not managed to demonstrate your claims:

1) That it's cost prohibitive in comparison to the other costs associated with planes.
2) That it increases the weight of the plane beyond what is reasonable.
3) That it makes pilots worse through some, as yet unexplained, mechanism.

1) In Australia, the average age of the single piston-engine fleet is 30+ years. To fit a $50 camera to a wing (maybe 15 minutes work) requires engineering orders costing thousands. How, pray tell, do you think it would be affordable to retrofit hundreds of different aircraft types, many which are no longer supported by their manufacturers, with a ballistic chute which the airframe was never designed for?

2) Diamond Aircraft click have a bit of a blurb about chuts

quote:

some customers like the idea of having that “lifeline” whereas others would rather have the extra 130 lbs of fuel that the BRS is expected to weigh.

Depending on the engine, that can work out to several hours of fuel - useful in case of a long diversion due to weather - or room to carry a life raft if traveling over-water. It could also carry survival supplies if flying in a remote area.

You are the one, seemingly with no loving idea about aviation, who is nevertheless insisting on a complicated modification, economics, physics and seemingly reality be damned. You justify how the benefits outweigh the expense..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Trent posted:

Also, I keep seeing posts about how planes are all 35 years old and can't be retrofitted. SO WHAT? We don't require old cars to have airbags and ABS installed. They can get 1 mpg or less and it's fine. Really old cars don't even have all the mirrors and break lights required today! They're grandfathered in!
So, this proposal results in the vast, vast majority of people continuing to fly in planes without chutes - exactly how many lives a year do you think it will save?

It will also force aircraft manufacturers to do a heap of design work on models that have been basically untouched in decades. This will raise prices for new aircraft further, meaning more people will stick with aging aircraft.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this policy cost a few lives.

• Locked thread