Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yfr_Zj1iU4

*yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Big Trouble in Little China was a great western too.

http://youtu.be/JM6Z3wgMNlY

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nick Rivers posted:

Red Baron is a better grocery store frozen pizza.

This is true. I like to bake 2 of them and make a divorced dad calzone

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Although every single loving youtube clip has got the same huckleberry/hucklebearer (IT'S A HANDLE ON A COFFIN) argument, this is indeed one of the bossest of films (it's "huckleberry", fyi)

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Guancho posted:

I'm you're boysenberry

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
WHY IKE, WHATEVER DO YOU MEAN?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

titty fat pizza posted:

WHY IKE, WHATEVER DO YOU MEAN?

WHY JOHNNY TYLER! YOU MADCAP!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
holliday was such a goon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRVhtVCfzo8

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Artsygrrl posted:

Would '3:10 to Yuma' count as a western? :)

i fuckin love this movie

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah 3:10 To Yuma rules. Also Quigley would've been a whole lot loving better without that crazy woman existing and it was just Tom Selleck shooting people with a Sharps and flaunting his amazing mustache.

In bad western news, gently caress Appaloosa. You'd think the combo of Ed Harris pistol whipping people and Viggo Mortensen packing a massive shotgun around would be cool but god drat you'd be loving woefully incorrect.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Was Curly Bill supposed to be gay in this movie? I know his little bud was.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
the good the bad and the weird is a REALLY good korean western if u can catch it on netflix iys a really fun movie nice popcorn flick annd DOPE setpieces

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
does no country for old men count as a western also no cuntry for old men is a good gay grampa gently caress flick although it deviated from the book a bit much for my tastes

naem
May 29, 2011

A "huckleberry" was a small unit of measure, like saying "a tad." Calling yourself a huckleberry meant being humble like saying "awe shucks I'm not so great."

Another phrase was "I'm a huckberry to your persimmon" which meant "I'm not much but I'm just a little better than you."

A third use of the word was "I'm just the man you're looking for."

So doc was acting humble, saying you weren't much either, saying he was better than you, and that he was just the man to prove it- all at once. A multilevel insult, fyad quality

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.
Tombstone is a great movie, but I think the greatest western of all time would be The Outlaw Josey Wales. Clint Eastwood at his best.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Fetus Tree posted:

I feel like ned kelly is kind of a western too

Ned Kelly was a pretty good movie too, Heath Ledger just acted the hell out of that role

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Criminal Minded posted:

Dead Man, The Proposition

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

naem posted:

A "huckleberry" was a small unit of measure, like saying "a tad." Calling yourself a huckleberry meant being humble like saying "awe shucks I'm not so great."

Another phrase was "I'm a huckberry to your persimmon" which meant "I'm not much but I'm just a little better than you."

A third use of the word was "I'm just the man you're looking for."

So doc was acting humble, saying you weren't much either, saying he was better than you, and that he was just the man to prove it- all at once. A multilevel insult, fyad quality

Fake humble, as he was really trying to goad his opponent into shooting first.

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Fake humble, as he was really trying to goad his opponent into shooting first.

It was some high level trolling

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

im confused

why wasn't this in the OP?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Tao Jones posted:

Although every single loving youtube clip has got the same huckleberry/hucklebearer (IT'S A HANDLE ON A COFFIN) argument, this is indeed one of the bossest of films (it's "huckleberry", fyi)

ooh i tho0ught it meant that he was his huckleberry finn to his tom sawyer

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
never watched the movie but in bits and pieces. seems competently made at the very least

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Frostwerks posted:

ooh i tho0ught it meant that he was his huckleberry finn to his tom sawyer

don't remember huck finn killing tom sawyer tbh

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

420DD Butts posted:

don't remember huck finn killing tom sawyer tbh

ive never seen the movie so :shrug:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I watched this movie a TON while I was a kid, because it was one of the better ones grandpa had on VHS.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Christmas Miracle posted:

i watched tombstone again recently and realized that this guy

and the bad guy in avatar

are the same actor. stephen lang

Don't forget that Billy Bob Thornton was in Tombstone...

...a few years before he moved to Fargo.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
fattie bob thornton was cooler

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Capn Beeb posted:

In bad western news, gently caress Appaloosa. You'd think the combo of Ed Harris pistol whipping people and Viggo Mortensen packing a massive shotgun around would be cool but god drat you'd be loving woefully incorrect.

You are wrong, sir.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Torka posted:

kurt russell shows a goon what's what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2YVyLLKRHw

I'll always remember it took me years to realize the "goon" in question is just a very young and chubby Billy Bob Thornton.

Honest to God, I cannot think of a more incredible cast that has ever been assembled for a film. This of course doesn't include movie's like Ocean's 11 or "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" where they cast every famous person ever.

Kurt Russell
Val Kilmer
Bill Paxton
Sam Elliott
Michael Biehn
Powers Boothe
Billy Zane
Michael Rooker
Billy Bob Thornton
Thomas Haden Church
Stephen Lang
Charlton Heston

and as Ed "Are We Cross?" Bailey - you guessed it:

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 9, 2014

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

ZombieParts posted:

fattie bob thornton was cooler

I love the scene when Doc and the Earps are talking in the street and BBT walks up sheepishly with a shotgun. He just stands there afraid to call attention to himself when Doc turns to him and dismissively says, "Oh. Johnny, I apologize. I forgot you were there. You may go now. Leave the shotgun."

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't the real life Earp just straight up go around murdering the Clantons and McLaurys?
In the film it depicts him joining the US marshals.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

MaoistBanker posted:

I'll always remember it took me years to realize the "goon" in question is just a very young and chubby Billy Bob Thornton.

Honest to God, I cannot think of a more incredible cast that has ever been assembled for a film. This of course doesn't include movie's like Ocean's 11 or "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" where they cast every famous person ever.

Just realized watching that video that Michael Rooker was in this too, didn't recognize him at first with all the hair.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Rob Roy was a decent spaghetti-Western set in Scotland. I think it suffered from some bad acting (soldiers throwing up their hands and falling over when shot, for instance) but it's still one I like to watch every now and again. It even has the best sword duel I can think of in any movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Verisimilidude posted:

I highly suggest the card game BANG!, especially for a party with friends who are into games.

this is true

also good bad and weird sucks rear end

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
clearly the best western is the quick and the dead, the only movie that realized people just want gun fights, and a lot of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ApVF8OVxI

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Punc posted:

clearly the best western is the quick and the dead, the only movie that realized people just want gun fights, and a lot of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ApVF8OVxI

I'm sorry man I want this to be true also but Sharon Stone ruins that movie. She ruins it four times at least. She can ruin better movies than that.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPVH7rxl6So

:siren: SO MUCH TENSION :siren:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Was Curly Bill supposed to be gay in this movie? I know his little bud was.

The thespian guy played by Billy Zane seemed like quite the manlover and the deputy played by Jason Priestly was mocked as such. I never got that vibe from Curly Bill though :psyduck:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

cat doter posted:

Tombstone is really good but Wyatt Earp is really, really bad

gently caress kevin costner

2 out of three isn't bad since he made "Dances with Wolves" and "Open Range", both of which are awesome westerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MaoistBanker posted:

Honest to God, I cannot think of a more incredible cast that has ever been assembled for a film.

A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day would like a word with you.

• Locked thread