Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Twisted Eye posted:

Is it just more intense the first time you find him and don't yet realize that you're not supposed to try to outgun him and then discover the escape?
It doesn't die, doesn't get a health bar, so after dying a few times you start thinking what the trick is.

The limited space and repetitive nature of trains make the setting a test of level design skills. Is Action Forms up for the challenge or up poo poo creek without a panther?

10A
10B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Timesplitters Future Perfect train level is magical, like everything in Time Splitters Future Perfect.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

New guns, new enemies, deadly bullshit, tactical barrel combat!
Also, find where in the video you hear the game using a file called darthvaider_breathe.wav.

11A
11B

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What the hell were the developers thinking with the flying enemies that are hard to hit and keep at a distance where inherent weapon inaccuracy make them even harder to hit? I mean, it's not like they don't give you enough ammo to wear them down with automatic fire, but when most shots miss that just seems frustrating.

Too bad you can't throw the barrel at enemies to damage them.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Those are really bad enemies, on so many levels. This LP, on the other hand, is fantastic, and more people should be watching it.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
I saw the design and heard the name 'Helex' and thought to myself, are these based on flying dinosaurs, like Archeopteryx or some such? Then you explained that Lion called them 'Dragons' and thought eh same thing
Good name bad enemy

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Lol at your tactical barrel action. That was a sweet idea!

Well, the flying enemies may be dickish, but I think they aren't as bad as people seem to think in this thread. Like, from what I can tell, they're not that hard to waste with the Gauss in scope mode. Not fun to fight though, that's for sure.

Also I chuckled as you named goodbad FPS games of which I have already played two. Never heard of Hellforces, but I'll look for it later :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Never heard of Hellforces, but I'll look for it later :v:
It's, like, Russian Half-Life. There's whacking urban zombies with a pipe, firefights in Aztec ruins, solving a stupid puzzle in an alien mothership, a trip through literal Hell and other poo poo my brain chose to forget. There are tons of weapons but their balancing is atrocious. Some tiny SMG is almost the ultimate gun.
That developer also made this. Haven't played it, because I don't believe they can pull off a Running Man/Manhunt without loving it up.

For total immersion check out the screenshot galleries for Hellforces and The Hunt. Especially Hellforces.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

SelenicMartian posted:

For total immersion check out the screenshot galleries for Hellforces and The Hunt. Especially Hellforces.

Like this?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I need to get this. I wish I could resist, but I have a problem with goodbad games :qq:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Tin Tim posted:

I need to get this. I wish I could resist, but I have a problem with goodbad games :qq:

If anything I'd say you two would make an excellent commentator duo for goodbad games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, you have a point about weapon experience. Getting a lot of ammo for your "good" weapons later in the game just means they're still behind the kind of crap weapons you upgraded through use.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Cooked Auto posted:

If anything I'd say you two would make an excellent commentator duo for goodbad games.

Seconded.

The only goodbad FPS I ever played was Pariah, and I can't recommend that one to anyone. Though I played the pc version, it was meant for consoles, and had checkpoint saves. Once I muffed a grenade launch that bounced off the railing just as I hit the checkpoint. I blew up, reloaded the game, and caught the grenade in my face again. And again. And again. Had to restart the level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, how do you make the player spend 15 minutes in rooms they'd normally cross in 1?

Padding, more padding, glitches, odd corpses, the gun you won't stick out in public, and the best character ever :catdrugs:

12A
12B

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And here I was thinking that a TransPanther variant of the Humanimals or OverBrutes would make a good enemy type.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My first thought upon seeing the enemy stuck in the ceiling was that Batman was here but given the game's material, that's some dangerous imagery.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AltaBrown posted:

The only goodbad FPS I ever played was Pariah, and I can't recommend that one to anyone. Though I played the pc version, it was meant for consoles, and had checkpoint saves. Once I muffed a grenade launch that bounced off the railing just as I hit the checkpoint. I blew up, reloaded the game, and caught the grenade in my face again. And again. And again. Had to restart the level.

I think the worst FPS that I recall playing is Exhumed, but that was mostly because how utterly generic it was rather than anything else as it was pretty much a Doom clone set in an Egyptian temple. Never got that far into it though to see where it went after that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I think the worst FPS that I recall playing is Exhumed, but that was mostly because how utterly generic it was rather than anything else as it was pretty much a Doom clone set in an Egyptian temple. Never got that far into it though to see where it went after that.
PS1 or PC version? They used a different engine, and the PS1 release was sort of non-linear with artefacts and levels you had to revisit to find other exits. PC got a bog standard FPS running on a pre-Duke 3D Build.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

PS1 or PC version? They used a different engine, and the PS1 release was sort of non-linear with artefacts and levels you had to revisit to find other exits. PC got a bog standard FPS running on a pre-Duke 3D Build.

PC in this case yes. Love to almost retry it but I think the game is so old that it will just go "I have no clue what this OS is :shrug:" whenever I try to play it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm glad that we're out of the whole industrial themed zone. Since we got on the train, the game kinda became a slog. It's still wacky and stuff, but man, chewing through that isn't exactly fun.

Also, is the ninja panther straight up immortal? It looked like you killed it before you died to it the first time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

It looked like you killed it before you died to it the first time.
It was a victory roar. That's what it does standing right next to a guy it planed a mine on :black101:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The plot was slow in the beginning but it's all going to snowball now. :smugdog:

13A
13B

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's nice that we get a few explanations. I previously wondered if there were just giant animal cages on the island that had their contents dumped into the Mutator 2000. I mean, the amount of animals at their disposal possibly dwarfs the native animal populations of several small countries, so they had to come from somewhere.

Also, lol at various other things. At least the game doesn't stop being wacky, if probably unintentional. Poor lion bro though. He was our only friend. Well, Liam was too I guess but he was too dumb to live.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Wow, well THIS was a find and a half. I vaguely recall seeing this game at some point, maybe a friend was playing it or maybe I somehow had it at some point. Looking at the gameplay, I'm not sure if I forgot cause I forgetful as hell or because I wanted to erase this game from my mind.

...Wait a minute. That noise is really loving famila- is that the original UT medikit sound? Probably just a prepackaged medikit sound you hear when picking one up, but it IS the only time I remember hearing that particular sound. Anyway, great LP so far, keep it up please :)

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
So how many FPS game styles have we seen frankensteined together so far? (like so many animal robot soldiers) I'm counting at least 3.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

In an exciting turn of events the plot stops developing and leaves for a tea break until the very end of the 4th chapter.
So, we're stuck with 30 minutes of waiting, walking and being shot in the face. I try to break the game, it tries to break me.

14A
14B
14C

Final boss guesses! Who has them?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My money's on Liam spliced with a hummingbird.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

anilEhilated posted:

Nah, yer thinkin' too small. Mine's on General Dougstone being General Dogstone. That's right, the general is actually a gigantic rocky Daschund with plasma weapons, and we have to murder his rear end.

EDIT: Just kidding, it'll be something really underwhelming, won't it?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

anilEhilated posted:

Liam spliced with a hummingbird sized t-rex.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It looked kind of foggy at the end of that hallway. I'm thinking a fog monster in a fog room that shoots fog projectiles.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dogstone. As a giant robot dog.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to say this is going to take a page from RAGE and make the final boss be a large button.

What was the plot to this game again? As I recall:

Kurt is ordered to island by his ex-girlfriend, who apparently wears the army standard female uniform of a catsuit. On the island Kurt's entire team is killed while Kurt is locked in a shack. He then tries to radio to be picked up, and rather than trying to find a suitable landing spot, the airplane crashes. (No, seriously, what was the plan, to have Kurt jump onto the plane? Maybe borrow the grappling hook from Just Cause?) So Kurt angrily tosses away his radio.

He then finds another human, picks up a new radio, and discovers that there are still allies on the island. Allies that will try and kill him for whatever reason, since I guess he shows up as a red dot on their map and that's good enough for them. (I really love the lame way they try and explain why the humans - and, then, later, Lion's army - are hostile.)

Kurt stops a teleporter station, thereby ensuring that all future ammo and health pickups must now be in crates since they can't be teleported out into the middle of nowhere. He then discovers that the true reason he was brought to the island was to appease a mad man called Dr. Moreau. Or whatever he's actually called, I'm too lazy to go look it up, and it hardly matters since he's already got Kurt to the island for no apparent reason and other than being the mad scientist who creates this army of animal thingies, he has no further relation to the plot.

Kurt encounters Lion, who is trying to free the animals or something. Or at the least is leading an animal army. General Dogstone kills Liam, who I didn't bother to mention because he barely did anything other than open gates when scripted to, and now Kurt is friends with Lion, who is really trying to kill Dogstone, or something. Despite this new alliance, the animal army still tries to kill Kurt to keep up appearances, I guess. General Dogstone explains that Dr. Moreau isn't really the crazy one, he is, and that his animal army is going to bring the world lasting peace. Or something.

And now we're in a giant ice cave about to confront whatever it is that's the end of the game. I think that's the gist of it?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You missed the point, that baby Kurt has been on the island before.

The ammo still gets teleported somehow in the second chapter, but not in the third.

Some other, possibly highly misleading, avenues of thought:
1) a very recognizable body was missing from the fresh pile topped by Liam;
a) Dogstone had an RC chopper.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I hope we get to see that big guy again. With Dogstone's head and Rhinos instead of feet :allears:

But I guess it's more likely that it's going to be the doctor who kinda vanished from the story if I'm not sorely mistaken?

Also thanks for the stories! Real good stuff. And it also made me remember Starforce. It was the worst DRM ever. I still remember the huge forum threads all over the net where people bitched about Starforce, and eventually flat out stopped buying anything that had it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SelenicMartian posted:

Some other, possibly highly misleading, avenues of thought:
1) a very recognizable body was missing from the fresh pile topped by Liam;
a) Dogstone had an RC chopper.
Whatsherface spliced with a gunship.

In a catsuit.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

SelenicMartian posted:

You missed the point, that baby Kurt has been on the island before.

Nah, I just glossed over that part, since it seemed to have nothing to do with anything at the time. Other than being (another) the Island of Doctor Moreau reference, since being shipwrecked is how the protagonist of that story ends up meeting Dr. Moreau. Other than wanting to see a grown up Kurt, I still have no clue why Dr. Moreau wanted Kurt to be there. Just to monologue at him before vanishing from the game, I guess.

And if I'm not mistaken, hasn't Dogstone's recent commentary basically started duplicated Dr. Moreau's from that one cutscene? Do they have the same goal or something?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Xenoveritas posted:

Do they have the same goal or something?

We're not so different, you and I…

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
RC chopper boss fight, followed by Lion-bro (complete with proximity charge still in abdomen) jumps out and blows up Dogstone.

We never do find out why Kurt was so important.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

My money is for Humanimal Voltron.

Also I've heard of akella before. They did a bunch of previews for an interesting looking game that was basically reverse XCOM Twith spider robots or something. Then it just vanished from the company's site. Another game with spider tanks appeared on their site later and I think it vanished also. Stompy robot games were already the saddest kind of game to be a fan of even without russian devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

Also I've heard of akella before. They did a bunch of previews for an interesting looking game that was basically reverse XCOM Twith spider robots or something. Then it just vanished from the company's site. Another game with spider tanks appeared on their site later and I think it vanished also. Stompy robot games were already the saddest kind of game to be a fan of even without russian devs.
Oh poo poo son, now I remember where I know the name from! They were actually one of the dev companies that got a chance to make Jagged Allaince 3. Which they hosed up, for reasons that now escape me.

They also made Metalheart: Replicants Rampage, which is one of those not so good turnbased RPG games. It's really flawed, but falloutish enough that I played it. Goodbad times.

• Locked thread