Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Going off how similar the dumb ranting is, the final boss will be a random floating transparent man in a sealed cask. After his defeat, Dogstone will commit a slow unintentionally hilarious suicide and then Dr.NotMoreau will set us up for a sequel that is never going to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE&t=42s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm gonna guess the boss will be a Humanimal clone/hybrid of Kurt. My guess is the good Doctor used his DNA/Genetics/baby-blood or whatever to create his Humanimals (and other variants) in the first place.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

SelenicMartian posted:

Final boss guesses! Who has them?

Completely disappointing.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
100% rip off of Half Life 2's final boss, but with Dogstone feebly insulting us the whole time.

edit: It ends with the RC chopper being shot down and crashing in the boss arena, which stops time and the woman from the beginning shows up to whisk you away on a train.

PRL412 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 4, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tin Tim posted:

Which they hosed up, for reasons that now escape me.
Before they hosed up, Mist Land South (the devs of Paradise Cracked and that awful Alfa: Antiterror thing) lost the license to JA3 and JA3D. Even renaming to GFI Russia didn't help them.

Akella also made Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales, a game about pirates, which went gold in Russia at build 0.99 and remained barely playable for a few patches after that.
Their studio is also responsible for Disciples 3.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Half-life 2 had a final boss? Or any other bosses, for that matter?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

anilEhilated posted:

Half-life 2 had a final boss? Or any other bosses, for that matter?

You played a really easy first-person game of breakout. That was the boss.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

SelenicMartian posted:

So much rage... :argh: :bang:

No, seriously, people talk about Bethesda missing the point, or such and such developer ruining their favourite series, but Disciples 3... My first reaction, on loading the game, was "Who the HELL put more HoMM in my Disciples game?!?" Fellow Disciples fan The Mighty Biscuit was highly amused, as he'd already told me it was bad. And lo, it was pretty god-damned bad. Not absolutely, utterly terrible, but definitely bad compared to the previous, much older incarnations in the series. The writing was even more stereotypical, a lot of plot threads suddenly went nowhere, and the simple tactical stuff that had served the previous games pretty well, thank you very much, was dropped in favour of what was HoMM with less charm.

Screw Disciples 3.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Akella also made Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales, a game about pirates, which went gold in Russia at build 0.99 and remained barely playable for a few patches after that.
On the other hand they did a few other pirate-themed games that, while still had issues, had their charm. :shobon:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

David D. Davidson posted:

Completely disappointing.

Well, of course, he wouldn't be asking otherwise.

Internet Janitor posted:

You played a really easy first-person game of breakout. That was the boss.

You know, I know I beat Half-Life 2, and I remember there was an upgraded gravity gun or something, but other than being forced to get yourself captured, I honestly can't remember a single thing about the end of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xenoveritas posted:

You know, I know I beat Half-Life 2, and I remember there was an upgraded gravity gun or something, but other than being forced to get yourself captured, I honestly can't remember a single thing about the end of the game.
I feel the same about most of that game, honestly. HL2 for me was boredom->Ravenholm->boredom. Always thought it overrated.
And I'm saying that as someone who beat HL1 multiple times years after it came out.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
HL2 has aged extremely poorly. It's even more obvious on a modern replay how gimmicky, repetitive and dull the majority of the gameplay are. I'm not surprised that people forget the ending because it's a complete anticlimax; the final level takes away all your weapons, gives you a gun that kills anything in one hit, then you do some first-person platforming play breakout and wait for the deus ex machina. Ravenholm is the high point and I don't think it's even halfway through.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know about that. I've always enjoyed the majority of HL2 and Episodes gameplay (and yes, I have played it within the last few years) for the simple fact that it doesn't have regenerating health and the dynamics that can bring to the gunfights. The only things I don't really like about it are 1) the extremely low ammo limit on some of the more common use guns, like SMG and Pulse Rifle and 2) Yes, those sections at the end of HL2 and the first part of Episode 1 where its "All gravity gun, All the time." But the levels where its just using regular guns I've always enjoyed.

Then again I like the fanboat section and everyone else seems to hate that so I'm probably just weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Half-Life 2 isn't as slick and filled with particle effects and dynamic lighting as most modern games, but I don't think it's aged badly at all. It's still a fun game that did some stuff differently from its contemporaries and I don't feel bad about replaying it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've never finished HL2, and the more attempts I make to beat it the more flaws I find all over the place like the weak shot and explosion sounds.

Anyway, I've got the grand finale footage, but won't be able to record the commentary until Monday.
Take a guess how long the mysterious final boss took to defeat. It's not a one-shot kill, that's for sure.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

SelenicMartian posted:

I've never finished HL2, and the more attempts I make to beat it the more flaws I find all over the place like the weak shot and explosion sounds.

Anyway, I've got the grand finale footage, but won't be able to record the commentary until Monday.
Take a guess how long the mysterious final boss took to defeat. It's not a one-shot kill, that's for sure.

Two shots, then!
But you have to wait for the second shot to be produced first (mining, smelting and cooling and all)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

SelenicMartian posted:

Before they hosed up, Mist Land South (the devs of Paradise Cracked and that awful Alfa: Antiterror thing) lost the license to JA3 and JA3D. Even renaming to GFI Russia didn't help them.

Oh man Paradise Cracked.

I got it on release and I liked it a lot, but the always-on turn based mode beat me in the end. Getting anywhere took ages.

The Power of Law was really good tho'.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Dogstone. As a giant robot dog.

AltaBrown posted:

Lion-bro (complete with proximity charge still in abdomen) jumps out and blows up Dogstone.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My guess is the good Doctor used his DNA/Genetics/baby-blood

There were a few close guesses, but not spliced in the order you imagined. Moreover none of you expected the game to pull out a thick long...

15A
15B

And that's all from Soreo.
Now, where is my sequel, Action Forms?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
And a seamless transition to rendered video at the end...

As you said, it's a pretty impressive game for what it is - it has a lot going on, even if it doesn't succeed flawlessly. Even recent games struggle to do half of the things this game tries (looking at you, Colonial Marines).

That said, great commentary - especially when you're obviously surprised by something you've never seen before.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So... is Metal Gear DOGSTONE foreshadowed in any way prior to this level? Because I didn't even know giant robots were a thing in this universe.
e: Oh come on, the baby doesn't even have cat eyes.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I can only say two things about the ending without spoiling it for the other viewers, and those things are "wat" and "lol"

Though I'm sad that the boss didn't have rhino skates as feet.

Overall, Vivisector was an interesting game. Flawed yes, but also with a good portion of ideas and creativity. And I can respect that. Thanks for the lp dude. It was a fun ride all around!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

anilEhilated posted:

So... is Metal Gear DOGSTONE foreshadowed in any way prior to this level? Because I didn't even know giant robots were a thing in this universe.

Well, you could argue that all the enemies were part-cyborg, but that was a robot suit, so ... eh.

It's nice to see that Chekhov's Girlfriend returns at the end, I thought they'd just entirely forgotten she existed. And they tied in the fact that Kurt had visited the island before. Poorly, but - they did.

Best guess on the blue line is that it was some messed up fog effect that was supposed to only be visible when you were looking out into the water. It seemed to at least partially be based on the Z-buffer, since it seemed to fade based on depth occasionally, and it would explain why it was blue.

I'd almost argue my guess was correct since you did end up just Push Button for Ending but RAGE's ending was literally "push buttons while waves of enemy spawns, credits," so I guess not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well that was certainly something. Which is about all I can say. v:v:v

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Honestly, I was expecting the final boss to be the Panther, who Kurt finds out that she is actually his heavily-modified girlfriend, and Dogstone gets killed in a way or the other.
As for the ending itself, I've seen worse. :v:

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

radintorov posted:

Honestly, I was expecting the final boss to be the Panther, who Kurt finds out that she is actually his heavily-modified girlfriend, and Dogstone gets killed in a way or the other.
As for the ending itself, I've seen worse. :v:

I was thinking the same thing. She was given a lot of build up for a foe that was hastily dealt with at the end of the level and given no further mention. I was sure there would be more to it.

Anyway. An interesting but heavily flawed game. Thanks for showing it off, SelenicMartian.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

And then they both died from the bends.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It's funny how different this looked from Cryostasis. The former is some sort of lovable gonzo stew of a game, while Cryostasis (at least from what I remember of Blister's LP) was more coherent and focused.

Still, thanks for the LP and all the effort that went into it, SelenicMartian!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that sure was something. I was expecting more having played Cryostasis and seen its absolute mindfuck of a final boss. You fight the god of time for an opportunity to save the ship from its past.

Certainly a flawed game, perhaps because it's western release was cancelled, but still managed to seem to make most of its core gameplay fun enough. I always love seeing these kinds of game LP'd, so thanks for that. Hell, seeing an LP of Cryostasis years ago got me to buy it which got me to look into another Ukranian game called Metro 2033 which turned into Metro Last Light which is easily one of the best FPS's I've ever played. I'd love to keep pushing people to play Cryostasis but unfortunately it was basically removed from sale on the internet a few years ago due to who knows what.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Certainly a flawed game, perhaps because it's western release was cancelled, but still managed to seem to make most of its core gameplay fun enough.
It wasn't cancelled, there's a version with an English dub and everything. It used to be available at GamersGate, but isn't there now, just like Hellforces.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Great LP, thanks for showing off a game a lot of people, as you said, wouldn't manage to push through even past the first level. Also loved the stories of the crazy Russian game market. I am curious, what's particularly Communist about the PPSH? And what was the accent you used while holding it? Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm missing and if so, sorry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skrewtape posted:

Great LP, thanks for showing off a game a lot of people, as you said, wouldn't manage to push through even past the first level. Also loved the stories of the crazy Russian game market. I am curious, what's particularly Communist about the PPSH? And what was the accent you used while holding it? Maybe it's a cultural thing I'm missing and if so, sorry.

It was a major, iconic weapon of the Red Army in WWII, I think that was the deal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So does anyone want to try to make sense of that whole mess of a "story".

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
That was certainly a thing.

The only actual expectations I had for the final boss:
1. Underwhelming in some way or other.
2. T-Rex will not come up again.
3. RC Helicopter will not come up again.

These all turned out correct but put me no closer to having any idea what would actually happen at all.

What does the mech do in the fight, even? I think I saw one of the broken-off arms act like a flamethrower. Anything else?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shh, you can't apply mortal measures to a beauty such as this.

Thanks for the LP. I got my gf hooked on it, and we watched through the whole thing together. The game provides many delightful absurd moments.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, I tried a page ago, but I didn't see the thing where Dead Girlfriend was going to come back and have the world's most developed day old fetus coming, so I kind of skipped over the part where Kurt was shipped-wrecked as an infant. (OK, seriously, who brings their infant along on a boat ride and then abandons him on a raft? How does this make the slightest bit of sense?)

Like I guess the story is that Dr. Whoever (no, seriously, what was his name again?) wanted to create a perfect lifeform so he decided the create super-soldiers until he eventually created Kurt, and then made no progress for 30 years or whatever since Kurt was still his best creation.

I don't think we ever found out what the "perfect lifeform" was supposed to accomplish or why he wanted to create one in the first place (:science:?), or what exactly Dogstone was doing (the exact same thing, but with a mech suit?), but whatever.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Early morning realization, and a late night post about it: the sunken ship we saw as Kurt descended into NotRapture is the one that sank and left Kurt as an orphan.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

What does the mech do in the fight, even? I think I saw one of the broken-off arms act like a flamethrower. Anything else?
I vaguely remember it shooting fire all around itself once in an earlier playthrough. That was the only time I got hit.
In any case the flamer hasn't been used by any enemies since the end of first chapter. He probably has a few flameuars squatting inside those shoulders.

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.
This was a another terrific playthrough, SelenicMartian!
At first I was kind of unimpressed with the game and it seemed like it would be like boring, broken (borken?)and an altogether unplayable experience.
However it actually looked a lot of fun, and I found the story really entertaining in a bad sci-fi sense (which I adore.)
Also Lion-bro is the true hero.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I have so much trouble believing that this was created by the same Devs as Cryostasis, and yet, it almost makes sense...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I would not call this a good game, and I doubt I would have had the patience to play through any of the chapters, much less all of them. That said, it is sort of adorably batshit, between the clearly hodge-podge and janky development and the utterly inane attempt at a 'plot', so I'm delighted you showed it off and did such a good job of it.

I'll concede that being playable and even potentially fun does put it head and shoulders above dozens or hundreds of other games, but that is, as the phrase goes, damning with faint praise.

• Locked thread