Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can you use a baby Yoshi under water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, doin' a water level on 100 ticks can't have been easy on you. Well done getting through just bumping into things a shitload of times.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Digging the chill LP, good work so far.

I Imagine the 4-player on the Luigi levels are pure chaos, tight time limit with 4 people and luigi physics.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Wow, keyboard--accidentally posted too early. Anyway this LP is really relaxing, excited to see more! I haven't played a console Mario platformer since the Wii game, and I've been thinking of picking this one up because I also generally just enjoy Mario games. It's a formula that doesn't really get old for me.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, I love that Yoshi can eat a fireball. He did that in the cartoon, but I never could in Super Mario World! Nintendo delivered.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

More water levels! With Luigi we had to speed through, now we can see some of the ideas fleshed out. The geysers are more fun, the dragoneel is more challenging, everything about this world is better.

Part 4 (Sparkling Waters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPd84YQE98

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
You sound completely different from how I imagine you sounding on the Pagoda.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

You sound completely different from how I imagine you sounding on the Pagoda.

I sound completely different than I imagine I sound. My voice is a bit lower in real life than it is in any recording and when I record these laying in bed at 3 AM it seems like my voice changes even more. I appreciate all of the remarks about how chill this is because I guess that explains what happens to my voice.

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!
Now that I've seen both the ice and water stages for Mario, I have to take back what I said about water-themed worlds being uninteresting; overall the water stages seem to be more imaginative than the ice stages!

In short don't allow me to vote again. I know not what I want.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi's Frosted Glacier is great. Some of the ideas are silly, a couple are simple, but mostly it is fast paced and fun. Really, really fun.

Part 4 (Frosted Glacier): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiyhjrtbAmo

Yagyumi posted:

Now that I've seen both the ice and water stages for Mario, I have to take back what I said about water-themed worlds being uninteresting; overall the water stages seem to be more imaginative than the ice stages!

In short don't allow me to vote again. I know not what I want.

You may want to re-think this once again!

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Was amused you didn't comment on how time trouble almost killed you in the water Ghost House level as Luigi - you were two seconds away from death when you slipped and fell in!

Overall, I think that this order wound up working out - we got the two weaker sections for each brother done first before moving on to the stronger showings.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Torokasi posted:

Was amused you didn't comment on how time trouble almost killed you in the water Ghost House level as Luigi - you were two seconds away from death when you slipped and fell in!

Overall, I think that this order wound up working out - we got the two weaker sections for each brother done first before moving on to the stronger showings.

I didn't even notice that. I guess screwing up that star coin has consequences.

Lord Quackington
Aug 24, 2014
Yes! Someone who shares the same opinion of this game as I do! I have tried to make cases with everyone I know on how good this game is and how fun it can be, they they won't listen. Now I can prove them wrong and send them to the fiery abyss of people with incorrect opinions.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love Luigi's frosted glacier! Wendy's ship's bracelets to match her own is a neat touch too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Soda Lake is a really cool world full of secret exits and cool gimmicks. We won't get to all of the cool gimmicks in this video because this world takes awhile! So this is part 1, tomorrow we'll get to part 2.

Part 5 (Soda Lake): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzthSvhhpg

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

MassRafTer posted:

Soda Lake is a really cool world full of secret exits and cool gimmicks. We won't get to all of the cool gimmicks in this video because this world takes awhile! So this is part 1, tomorrow we'll get to part 2.

Part 5 (Soda Lake): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzthSvhhpg

Lake, or jungle?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Did you change something about your microphone or audio editing recently? It sounds a bit off to me, I can't quite describe it. I think you might be compressing too harshly?
e: You can hear it well around here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzthSvhhpg&t=770

The off-screen shell thing is probably more of a design thing than a tradition or memory thing at this point. If you kept track and calculated off-screen objects, you would never be sure how a set of sprites looks when the player first encounters it, since you don't know how fast the player is going, which makes it much harder to place them in a way that's fair and well-designed.

Plus, you'd probably get into situations where you inadvertently break challenges farther ahead by shooting a shell off-screen, which would be pretty bullshit.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 3, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Here's part two of what is either the Soda Lake or Soda Jungle depending on how awake I am when I post things! This video is home to probably the coolest looking level of the game.

Part 6 Soda Lake/Jungle/Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbzHN8zPsI

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Did you change something about your microphone or audio editing recently? It sounds a bit off to me, I can't quite describe it. I think you might be compressing too harshly?
e: You can hear it well around here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzthSvhhpg&t=770

The off-screen shell thing is probably more of a design thing than a tradition or memory thing at this point. If you kept track and calculated off-screen objects, you would never be sure how a set of sprites looks when the player first encounters it, since you don't know how fast the player is going, which makes it much harder to place them in a way that's fair and well-designed.

Plus, you'd probably get into situations where you inadvertently break challenges farther ahead by shooting a shell off-screen, which would be pretty bullshit.

I tried boosting the quiet and reducing the peaks after a couple people said it was hard to hear some parts over the game audio, but yeah I thought it sounded a bit funny too. So I am just going back to what I was doing before because I thought that sounded A-OK. It's a good thing I didn't use the aggressive option!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assumed you were saving all the extra stages for later. Do you want to know the ones you missed or do you already know them and are just running this in a come-what-may casual manner?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Painted swamp reminded me of Worms Armageddon with the why the foreground pipes were colored.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bruceski posted:

I assumed you were saving all the extra stages for later. Do you want to know the ones you missed or do you already know them and are just running this in a come-what-may casual manner?

I was saving them for later but kind of forgot which exit led where and unlocked it. Seemed like a good idea to just do it now. I know where the rest are luckily.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I was saving them for later but kind of forgot which exit led where and unlocked it. Seemed like a good idea to just do it now. I know where the rest are luckily.

Okay. I figured you would have done the "make sure you can 100% a game before you do a 100% LP" preparation, but just thought I'd check.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bruceski posted:

Okay. I figured you would have done the "make sure you can 100% a game before you do a 100% LP" preparation, but just thought I'd check.

I came within a few exits and coins of 100%ing it last year, part of the reason I'm doing this is I want to give me a reason to do that. If I end up not being able to 100% it that will be pretty embarrassing because I can't imagine not being able to beat the one level I never bothered unlocking. Perhaps my hubris will lead to further edutainment.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

MassRafTer posted:

I came within a few exits and coins of 100%ing it last year, part of the reason I'm doing this is I want to give me a reason to do that. If I end up not being able to 100% it that will be pretty embarrassing because I can't imagine not being able to beat the one level I never bothered unlocking. Perhaps my hubris will lead to further edutainment.

This means you should post the entirety of the raw footage of that level as you play it and try to beat it as the final part of the LP.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

So you were wondering about the "Idle No More" slogan. I think it might have to do with the protests from the native people in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_No_More

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

We won't need two parts to get through this world with Luigi, but it still is a bit longer than normal. It's also rather difficult as having a deadly carbonated beverage under your feet makes things tougher when you have all this inertia.

Part 5 (Sparkling Waters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMl151Hh9Ao

SteelWav posted:

So you were wondering about the "Idle No More" slogan. I think it might have to do with the protests from the native people in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_No_More

I saw someone mention that in the youtube comments too. Didn't expect to see political messages on Miiverse of all places.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Actually, Sumo Bros are the ones from Mario World that stomp the ground and drop lightning/fire on you. Those guys on the ship were Sledge Bros.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Two fortresses. Two of em. How can anyone survive this? Hopefully I do not misidentify any enemies in this video!

Part 7 (Rock Candy Mines): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97xGlFVzKs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, did that hidden exit lead to a train level you haven't shown yet?

Is it as good as the RADICAL TRAIN?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, did that hidden exit lead to a train level you haven't shown yet?

Is it as good as the RADICAL TRAIN?

It prefers to be called a spine coaster. Due to that fact they cannot be compared but nothing is as tubular as a Radical Train.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I've always called them Bonesnake.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT4TAfnnGfw

:mrgw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I finally got the star coins in World 1 and 2! Check those out, plus the secret levels for these worlds.

World 1 and 2 Bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlQDOyUJ2WA

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I never knew I wanted to watch an LP narrated by a Bob Ross impersonator. Thank you for enlightening me on this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi's Rock Candy Mines are awesome, great, fun, super. You should play this world. If you would prefer I do, watch this video:

Part 6 (Rock Candy Mines): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCRkLPEHbbA

A Sometimes Food posted:

I never knew I wanted to watch an LP narrated by a Bob Ross impersonator. Thank you for enlightening me on this.

My AP Studio Art teacher would be horrified.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, no matter how many times you get shocked I always see the shock animation playing out and go, oh he's just getting stunned, not hit. And then you take damage.

Nintendo, this is just cruel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

One world remains before we save the Princess, the Meringue Clouds! Once again the game is increasing the difficulty, especially in the castles and fortresses, and giving us a lot of variety too.

Part 8 (Rock Candy Mines): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHVgqMx_1A

Glazius posted:

Man, no matter how many times you get shocked I always see the shock animation playing out and go, oh he's just getting stunned, not hit. And then you take damage.

Nintendo, this is just cruel.

You'll love this update then!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

you accidentally called it the Rock Candy Mines again

gnarledfingers
Nov 9, 2007

Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone
I really love this LP, but I really have to ask, do you mean it when you say, "It's okay"? Are you trying to dress for the job you want, as it were, or are you really a Polly Anna with video games? Please tell me, I must know.

Amazing LP. Hope you don't lose steam on making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

gnarledfingers posted:

I really love this LP, but I really have to ask, do you mean it when you say, "It's okay"? Are you trying to dress for the job you want, as it were, or are you really a Polly Anna with video games? Please tell me, I must know.

Amazing LP. Hope you don't lose steam on making them.

Deep down inside I'm an optimist. An optimist that doesn't remember enemy or world names.

• Locked thread