Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Raku posted:

Well you look at Beamer today and you gotta figure Foster is probably just going to take over the Hokies when he's gone. I get legit sad looking at Frank now. :(

Nah, that's why Shane came back from USCar, to continue the beamdaddy lineage (DTF Foster getting that job IRL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like how all the Husker news sites were trying so hard to lower expectations by playing up McNeese State in the runup to the game, especially after the win against notable dumpster fire program The FAU Owls.

People were like "no, they looked really good out there against FAU." Never mind that this was such a shithouse that their OC was caught snorting coke or anything, they totes looked really good while writing that check to FAU for letting themselves get rolled for the Husker season opener. Openers are always confidence builder games, what kind of weirdo doesn't get that?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Dead Pressed posted:

Nah, that's why Shane came back from USCar, to continue the beamdaddy lineage (DTF Foster getting that job IRL).

Foster gets it for a few years, retires, hands off to Shane.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So who does Michigan hire after Hoke's obligatory firing? I mean besides Harbaugh because he ain't leaving SF.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The best part about this was all the old LSU fans decrying this as classless.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

The best part about this was all the old LSU fans decrying this as classless.

LSU has old white wet-blanket fans? I thought they were all drunken bog people.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

Mahoning posted:

So who does Michigan hire after Hoke's obligatory firing? I mean besides Harbaugh because he ain't leaving SF.

Les Miles, of course!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PostNouveau posted:

LSU has old white wet-blanket fans? I thought they were all drunken bog people.

It started with the announcers; even Pod Katt asked on Twitter if it was more embarrassing than USC's AD yelling at referees or the collective failure of the Big 10.

EDIT: He later relented, but still.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 7, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Ugh, I wanted Ifo to come out last year so bad. I don't think there's any way we're gonna be able to draft him now.

It was only Sac State, but Cal kicked somebody's poo poo in and it's been a while since I've had that feeling. Since that hilarious UCLA game in 2012, actually. Considering how Washington and Wazzu look this year we might even win a conference game (besides Colorado) this season!

HooverDam
Aug 16, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ugh, I wanted Ifo to come out last year so bad. I don't think there's any way we're gonna be able to draft him now.

It was only Sac State, but Cal kicked somebody's poo poo in and it's been a while since I've had that feeling. Since that hilarious UCLA game in 2012, actually. Considering how Washington and Wazzu look this year we might even win a conference game (besides Colorado) this season!

you guys might go to a bowl game. Got to win Colorado and Wazzu for sure, and Washington, Arizona and BYU could all go either way, you could magically end up 6-6!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

woo fsu won

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

HooverDam posted:

you guys might go to a bowl game. Got to win Colorado and Wazzu for sure, and Washington, Arizona and BYU could all go either way, you could magically end up 6-6!

the cougs are going to lose every game this season because our team is poo poo and piss. we're going to lose to portland state by a field goal

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
I wasn't joking about the o-line

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PSU won but looked like absolute garbage but considering the rest of the big ten I'll gladly take that

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

HooverDam posted:

I admit I've considered the possibility in my weaker moments, but I'm really trying to keep expectations manageable for now.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If you took the preseason media rankings of the Big 10 and SEC and matched them up (#1 vs #1, #2 vs #2, all the way down the line) on neutral fields, how many games would the Big 10 win? I couldn't find media polls that didn't break them down by division, so here's a possible slate:

Ohio St vs Alabama
Wisconsin vs South Carolina
Michigan St vs Auburn
Michigan vs Georgia
Iowa vs LSU
Nebraska vs Florida
Penn St vs Missouri
Northwestern vs Ole Miss
Maryland vs Tennessee
Minnesota vs Mississippi St
Indiana vs Texas A&M
Illinois vs Vanderbilt
Rutgers vs Arkansas
Purdue vs Kentucky

Just look at those games. Make adjustments (within reason) if you want to boost the chances for your preferred conference. With this list, I could see the Big 10 being lucky to win three out of fourteen.

Today, Big 10 teams lost to Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Oregon (okay, fine), and Virgina Tech. Nebraska just barely beat McNeese St. USF is arguably the biggest scalp any Big 10 team claimed today, unless you think Akron is better.

What the gently caress happened to this conference?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's been bad for a long rear end time

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
BYU running a train on Texas 2 years in a row is probably one of the weirder stories in recent years.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Can we get credit for time served on our 10 years in the wilderness?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When is the Big Ten pulling a Big East and going basketball-only?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Somehow Texas Tech won again. This not going to be a fun season.

I'm wondering how much Demon cock I got to suck to make sure Tech beats Arkansas...

Edit:

I just glanced through the gameday thread and I want all of you to die while tech violates every football rule ever written, gets several created to cover violations we invent all while still going 8-5.

Edit 2:

That won't include a win vs UT because the 345 yards of penalties we give up will mean that UT only needs to muster up about 50 yards rushing to beat us. I'm sure even they can manage that.

Edit 3:

PS: gently caress THIS GAY EARTH

Numlock fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 7, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Not feeling confident about this season. Struggling to find 4 more wins...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Michigan managed to avenge the most embarrassing loss in program history and then exactly one week later replace it with a new one.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Before the season started Beamer was dead man walking in TFF and now he can't stop getting his dick wet. Roll drat Hokies I guess.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
For serious though I am not actually that depressed about what I saw. I didn't really think this was going to be a big year for us anyway, and it feels like we have an identity now, something we haven't had for ages. Charlie Strong knows who he is and what he does and it's not going to happen overnight but given time he will remake this team in that image. It will be uglier than I'd hoped in the meantime, but if we don't panic and run him off too soon I think this can work long-term.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas got destroyed by BYU tonight. Again.

The defense started off decent, but over the course of the game they just got overworked as the offense kept failing to get critical first downs, and that eventually took it's toll on them.

I thought Swoopes looked alright for his first game, but he does need some work, and if Texas plans to use him a lot this season then they better get started adjusting the rest of the offense for it now. He had some success on short passing, but pretty much any time the run game entered the picture, he and everyone else just seemed to fall apart. I don't know how much of that was due to undeveloped talent on offense versus how much of it was due to just... unfortunate playcalling, but whatever the case, I really hope we get these offensive kinks worked out fast or it's gonna be a nerve-wracking season.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Before the season started Beamer was dead man walking in TFF and now he can't stop getting his dick wet. Roll drat Hokies I guess.

That's more the national media. I'm mostly the only fan here slamming him and I said he deserves credit for finally getting a big win and nobody else was really talking him up from what I saw.

I'm not going to hop on the Beamer bandwagon and think everything's A-OK for the next however many years but whatever, I'll be more than happy to eat crow about him and his attitude when he gets these kinds of wins that the program has been clawing at forever.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I think this year might be like 2007 again with no undefeated teams at the end of the year. FSU looks...off and the schedule looks fairly challenging. They're going to choke away one somewhere in there and I could see maybe two.

None of the SEC teams are good enough to run the table this year. Bama is too young and shaky. Auburn has no secondary. UGA looks legit but I wouldn't bet on them making it through the season without imploding once.

Big Ten is already done.

Pac-12 Oregon is the only one with a chance.

Baylor same thing for the Big-12.

I'd really love a complete clusterfuck at the end of the year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Bud Foster, mad scientist/coach, admits it's been 20 years since he last used the double eagle you saw all over the field tonight.

Foster is known for every 3-4 years busting out some either very new or very old look(in VT's history) for those games he deems require them and they pretty much always work gangbusters because not even the most anal OC is watching decades old tape. I imagine he planned this out with Miller in mind and the big difference you saw with Barrett was the absurd amount of pressure he sent. Also showed a crazy amount of confidence in VT's 3 sophomore CBs because they were in man all loving night to allow him to run what he wanted.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Fluffdaddy posted:

neither of these things are true

lots of people in tff say lots of different things

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

None of the SEC teams are good enough to run the table this year. Bama is too young and shaky. Auburn has no secondary. UGA looks legit but I wouldn't bet on them making it through the season without imploding once.

As much as I hate to say it, don't sleep on those Aggies just yet. Them, auburn or Georgia could come out undefeated. Only one of course.

Big Ten will find a way into missing a playoff spot and it will be hilarious.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

MourningView posted:

neither of these things are true

lots of people in tff say lots of different things

I guess I should have said media more than TFF. I remember seeing a lot of old man game passed him by stories like Mack brown got a few years ago and what Spurrier will be receiving if he doesn't win the east.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I mean if we're going with hypotheticals then USC could totally win the South division and then beat Oregon or Stanford. They were some people's dark horse to win the south before the year started, and they've looked better than most expected I think. Turns out it might not matter if you only have 60 guys when all of those guys are former 4/5* recruits and are allowed to go out and make plays. I think the biggest question with them is and always was health/freshness. If they can stay healthy and if Sark's offense doesn't kill them by the end of the year, I can see them running the table with some luck. They dodge Oregon in the conference schedule, and get ASU and ND at home so their only other tough games are @Arizona and us at the Rose Bowl.

Not unthinkable, although it would obviously be the literal worst thing that could happen.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Fluffdaddy posted:

Big Ten will find a way into missing a playoff spot and it will be hilarious.
Well, there are only 4 of them. That will happen to at least one major conference every year.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You guys Georgia Tech is for real

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Huskies are going to get slaughtered when they start playing better teams. They put up almost 4x as many points as they did last week, but they also allowed 4x as much to a FCS team. Eastern Washington is a pretty scary FCS team: they beat Oregon State last year and they kept on the Huskies fairly easily. I'm pretty sure they could hold their own against Wazou right now.

I have no idea what to feel about Michigan right now.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

I think this year might be like 2007 again with no undefeated teams at the end of the year. FSU looks...off and the schedule looks fairly challenging. They're going to choke away one somewhere in there and I could see maybe two.

Big Ten is already done.

I honestly would not be shocked to see Stanford right the ship a little and beat Oregon again.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Whatever it takes, outside of losing to Michigan, to get Luke Fickell out forever.

Since your defense being inexcusable poo poo is fine because of the offense putting up 80 billion points, this game is entirely on you for not preventing enough points, isn't it?

The program deserved Braxton's injury for not getting rid of Fickell long before he had the chance to make that moronic comment.

Please get well, Brax. :smith:

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Big Ten is already done.

Aggies look legit and don't sleep on Oklahoma just yet (wait till we inexplicably lose to Texas)

But definitely go team clusterfuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Tennessee is going to get the poo poo beat out of them by Oklahoma but at least it has been a fun two weeks.

• Locked thread