Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Thunderdrome was dumb, Scout Ship and spending like 4 hours in the early AM was even worse. Fast Luck - too goddamn dense to be scum.

what i hated most about that game is it was non-byobers that ruined it. rarity sunk the end game, and then blamed fast luck the purest of pure newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
oh, and tt got my lynched. of course.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Battleship was a really frustrating game but the last day play is good reading for new folks because the scum play was very strong and I was just blown loving open by better play.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Battleship was a really frustrating game but the last day play is good reading for new folks because the scum play was very strong and I was just blown loving open by better play.

i should do that, i guess. i was just really frustrated by the early game, obviously. i read the last page or two but it hurt my soul.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, the multi-page discussion where Fast Luck doesn't understand why we can't argue flavor when they literally say "don't argue flavour" in the OP is possibly the worst thing to experience even as a casual observer. Rarity blaming FL for the end of the game makes sense if and only if you went through that in real time because it was just enervating.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
so, after survivor and aligning with fast luck at a point or two and watching him crush the late game and chatting throughout and thinking he should have won, his was the personal case i got and i've been pointed to rarity's hilarious win record.

[mmm edit approved]

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 10, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
oh, crap, that's ongoing. somehow.

sorry, y'all. but we've both been killed anyway.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, the multi-page discussion where Fast Luck doesn't understand why we can't argue flavor when they literally say "don't argue flavour" in the OP is possibly the worst thing to experience even as a casual observer. Rarity blaming FL for the end of the game makes sense if and only if you went through that in real time because it was just enervating.

also i don't think you can really truly blame a newbie for being bad. that crew had a melange of varied experience. like i said, i was just sore about non-byobers taking over. if it had been me (lol), i would have just adjusted the setup to accommodate the byobers willing to participate, because that was supposedly the point of the whole game.

you didn't play 3 hour battleship? you weren't there, man.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

oh, crap, that's ongoing.

I'll let you edit it out if you would like.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
quote =/= edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Sorry guys - my boyfriend called out of work last night and we had impromptu date night; I didn't want to kill the vibe by ignoring him to argue with strangers on the internet. Plus I sit behind a computer eight hours a day when I'm at work, so most of my contributions will end up being during the day.

Effortpost coming later this morning!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm just replying to things as I see them in no particular order.

Murmur Twin posted:

Adus/anyone else, any leads and/or stories about their favorite type of bread?

Adus posted:

my suspicion leans more toward murmur for really getting the ball rolling with not much to go on, but this is also my first game so who knows maybe this is just how this poo poo starts. it just feels super lame to start accusing people over almost nothing.

In my experience, that pretty much is how this poo poo just starts!

I knew the capatalization/punctuation case was flimsy when I made it - day one cases usually are. My mindset at that point was that we had all talked about our favorite breads and the conversation was getting a bit stale :rimshot:. I didn't want a silence to fall upon the game (both for the sake of scumhunting and for the sake of keeping things fun) so I threw out the one thing that seemed even slightly possibly off to me as a discussion point.

Asking for more bread stories was partly tongue-in-cheek, and partly me acknowledging that even if people don't have legit cases yet, they should post more. I've always found it tough to know how to approach day 1 so part of this was a conscious choice to be more active.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Onwards to cases! Starting with the Carpet Shark:

The Carpet Shark posted:

I get the vibe they're town, if only because their posts seem lighthearted but not forced. Not to mention there wasn't much going on before PM went full bread.

The Carpet Shark posted:

I don't see calling out the lurkers as particularly scummy, especially if the intent was to get them to post more which is what it looked like to me. Am I completely off-base here?

The Carpet Shark posted:

Not terrible logic. They also asked for leads, but I guess that would be a pretty good way of keeping things ambiguous.
They went out of thread to find PMs posting patterns which seems like something you might do if you needed a case and wanted to appear to be making a good town effort. That combined with the return to bread could indicate something?

Just so it's easier to pronoun me, I'm female :j:

Props asked me about some of my earlier games. I have about six or seven completed games under my belt, and have only been scum once. I didn't realize it at the time, but what I ended up doing was:

a - asking a lot of questions to keep the conversation moving without needing to worry about lying
b - defending people who I "thought were town" - since I wasn't wrong there was less pressure than accusing someone of being scum who I knew wasn't
c - not making specific cases on people under the guise of "but I'm not sure yet!"

I feel like I'm seeing that with Carpet Shark right now and have him down as "likely scum".

The Carpet Shark posted:

To be honest, Met, I think you're posting about as much as the other newbies.

May I ask specifically who, if anyone, you think is scummiest right now?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think the thing that stands out most about Murmur Twin is the idea of going out of game to get posting information. Meta is, as far as I'm aware, a really bad way of reading compared to actual in thread information. Going out of your way to gather meta-info is even weirder. Is it scum weird or newbie weird? That's the key point here.

All I did was click "Post History" next to Prop's name, because I saw something that struck me as off and wanted to confirm it. And I used meta-information because, while weak, it felt stronger to me than picking breadchat apart.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TwelveBaud posted:

Confirming :420:

:350::respek::350:

TwelveBaud posted:

I'm thinking Prop is the most likely scum. She's making easy-to-make calls like uncritically calling out lurkers. And her bread chat was about expanding the classification of bread and being light-hearted about butter (when only one other person has mentioned spreadable substances); even though it wasn't directly about town versus scum, it was using the metaphor this game is based around in a calculating attempt to try to dilute "towndom" and de-fang "scumdom".

I can't tell if this is serious or not!

If Props was scum, why would that make her more likely to steer breadchat towards the town/scum metaphor? Is there anything non-bread related that makes you think she's scum?

quote:

The capitalization case is dumb, btw.

I'd argue that dumb cases are better than no cases. :)

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I would like to hear more from Met. I know he said he won't be around in the standard hours, but so far he hasn't really talked about anything. This post:

Met posted:

The lurkers are probably scum because they're not posting. Unless they're newbies in which case they're probably afraid to jump in. Unless they want us to think that and are actually money... unless they knew we'd think that.

...the wine in front of me.

Australia.

is the only thing he said which has anything to do with finding scum.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

soscannonballs posted:

I would like to hear more from Met. I know he said he won't be around in the standard hours, but so far he hasn't really talked about anything. This post:

is the only thing he said which has anything to do with finding scum.

On day one with a bunch of newbies. Yeah, I'll go pick scum out of breadchat.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Murmur Twin (1): Propaganda Machine

Not Voting (8): Adus, Met, Mr. Maltose, Murmur Twin, soscannonballs, Strong Mouse, The Carpet Shark, TwelveBaud

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lunch. The current deadline is September 11th, 2014 at midnight EDT -- that's in about 9 hours, 46 minutes.

Today's discussion topic is:

:justpost:

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Met posted:

Breadchat isn't the only thing people have been talking about. A bunch of newbies have managed to at least make a few cases, what do you think of those cases?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Met posted:

Do you have any observations at all that might be game-relevant from these first four pages?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
My thoughts (even though you were asking Met) are that TwelveBaud looks the most off. He hasn't said much, but as I said earlier, he seems to be pushing for PM even though she doesn't really seem scummy at this point.

Met is also bothering me a little bit, since his posts don't have any real content to them, which seems a little odd since he has been in some games before.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I also don't know about Adus, since he (she?) has barely posted at all, though it seems to be his first game.

It's alright to make accusations. Day 1 is fun like that!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
regarding strong mouse

soscannonballs posted:

You are acting like MT and PM are the only two choices in that you have to "pick" one of them. It also sounds like you are going to rely on other people to make cases and then just vote on the one that sounds best, which is pretty scummy.

this....is a good point.

not regarding strong mouse:

Murmur Twin posted:

I knew the capatalization/punctuation case was flimsy when I made it - day one cases usually are. My mindset at that point was that we had all talked about our favorite breads and the conversation was getting a bit stale :rimshot:. I didn't want a silence to fall upon the game (both for the sake of scumhunting and for the sake of keeping things fun) so I threw out the one thing that seemed even slightly possibly off to me as a discussion point.

and you didn't care about how such a flimsy case might come back to get you later on?

i'll go read boogaloo. just for fun.

Murmur Twin posted:

Asking for more bread stories was partly tongue-in-cheek, and partly me acknowledging that even if people don't have legit cases yet, they should post more. I've always found it tough to know how to approach day 1 so part of this was a conscious choice to be more active.

this just doesn't read well and seems hypocritical. you don't have to make a lovely case to get people to post more. calling them out by name seemed to work pretty well.

that said, twelvebaud hasn't done anything but say he's super busy (hi yuming) and hop on the pm-is-scummy gravytrain.

Murmur Twin posted:

Props asked me about some of my earlier games. I have about six or seven completed games under my belt, and have only been scum once. I didn't realize it at the time, but what I ended up doing was:

a - asking a lot of questions to keep the conversation moving without needing to worry about lying
b - defending people who I "thought were town" - since I wasn't wrong there was less pressure than accusing someone of being scum who I knew wasn't
c - not making specific cases on people under the guise of "but I'm not sure yet!"

man, what a masterstroke it would be to outline your previous scum game and do something completely different the next time you're scum.

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel like I'm seeing that with Carpet Shark right now and have him down as "likely scum".

all i'm seeing from carpet shark is him substantiating the case against you. huh.

Murmur Twin posted:

may i ask, specifically, what makes this different than plays a and c out of your own scumbook?

Strong Mouse posted:

My thoughts (even though you were asking Met) are that TwelveBaud looks the most off. He hasn't said much, but as I said earlier, he seems to be pushing for PM even though she doesn't really seem scummy at this point.

Met is also bothering me a little bit, since his posts don't have any real content to them, which seems a little odd since he has been in some games before.

Strong Mouse posted:

I also don't know about Adus, since he (she?) has barely posted at all, though it seems to be his first game.

It's alright to make accusations. Day 1 is fun like that!

my scumpicks are murmur > twelve. i'd be willing to vote either way, there.

for d1 of a newbie game i'd rather not just go for a lurker. twelve is just the lurker who took a strong, effortless stance.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

Murmur Twin posted:

Keep in mind, I have absolutely nothing to go off of except my own intuition when it comes to scummy behavior. I can't use scum modus operandi to make my cases since I have no idea what it looks like, which leaves me with 'what doesn't make sense right now for someone to be doing?' The problem is that I've been afraid I'd mistake town behaviour for scum behaviour. I've been asking questions so that I know I am not barking up the wrong tree. Essentially I am trying to use questions like 'am I completely off base?' to say 'is this opinion really stupid guys?'

As for defending people, I have mostly been discussing PM and that's because I was getting a pretty solid town read off of her. It makes things a bit easier if we can figure out who to rule out for now.

And I wasn't sure yet! But things are starting to get more intense now, and I think I've got a few ideas.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Murmur Twin posted:

Met looked suspicious to me earlier. Originally when I called them out, as seen above, I was just pointing out that they also were on par with us newbies at that point. But after I posted it I realized that most of the newbies had at least been posting about game related stuff and seemed engaged. That set off alarm bells. I was waiting for Met to post more and they did last night at which point they explained that they live in a different time zone. But then after they got online they were still posting a bunch of nothing which confirmed stuff for me. At that point I was away from my computer and tired, so I figured I'd post in the morning. Then I slept in until 3 by accident.

TwelveBaud's whole butter thing against PM was so weird that I really have no idea. I would vote vote Met before them.

I don't know if I'd vote Murmur Twin out this round. I know it would benefit me to say they've been acting super scummy but there isn't enough there for me to feel it's conclusive. There were a couple things that seemed off, but they've been making their own cases and they haven't been fixated on any one person as far as I can tell.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Mr. Maltose who do you think is scum?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
My lack of posting is based on two factors. One: I didn't even know how this game worked at all until like three days ago. Two: at work and can't reallydo much besides phone post. I'm only able to be fully active between 5-11 PST.

Also gently caress phones. Held backspace for two seconds to get rid of a couple words and it deleted half the post.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Carpet Shark posted:

Met looked suspicious to me earlier. Originally when I called them out, as seen above, I was just pointing out that they also were on par with us newbies at that point. But after I posted it I realized that most of the newbies had at least been posting about game related stuff and seemed engaged. That set off alarm bells. I was waiting for Met to post more and they did last night at which point they explained that they live in a different time zone. But then after they got online they were still posting a bunch of nothing which confirmed stuff for me. At that point I was away from my computer and tired, so I figured I'd post in the morning. Then I slept in until 3 by accident.

TwelveBaud's whole butter thing against PM was so weird that I really have no idea. I would vote vote Met before them.

I don't know if I'd vote Murmur Twin out this round. I know it would benefit me to say they've been acting super scummy but there isn't enough there for me to feel it's conclusive. There were a couple things that seemed off, but they've been making their own cases and they haven't been fixated on any one person as far as I can tell.

valid point about met. i don't really want to go after him at this point though just because, well, yes, his posts read like a whole bunch of nothing. the time zone thing is relevant because it's harder to interact with people when you're the only one awake/online. i'm sympathetic to that, but i agree he should try to post more substantially (which hopefully he will have a chance to do before deadline.

twelvebaud's whole bread/butter meta thing is suspect for sure. why, he is also second on my own list.

and no, murmur twin isn't fixated on one person. she's got two, myself and yourself. in fact, she is the only one really pushing for either of us. she's making cases and all. if she's scum, that's really dangerous. if she's town, that's really useful. but, her case on me was really weak and her read is dead wrong, and i suspect that she is barking up the wrong tree with you as well. note also that that began after people started voicing town reads on my behalf.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I disagree re: Met. The timezone thing can explain not posting as much when other are around, but it doesn't excuse not scumhunting when you are around.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
like i said, it's valid. it's also 7:30am for him right now. i'd like to give him a chance to defend himself at the very least.

see also: twelve. if we get literally nothing more out of him by deadline-ish he's looking more actively bad.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
wait

strokes beard

i mean, i don't want to be petty since twelve really only came after me. but that whole reading deep into bread thing was just so bizarre.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Met did have an opportunity though. After I said I wanted to hear from him this was his response:

Met posted:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

soscannonballs posted:

Met did have an opportunity though. After I said I wanted to hear from him this was his response:

okay, fair. but if he was scum (and at all active with the scumbro i guess) i'd think he'd be more eager to throw a jab at someone.

or he could be saying a bunch of nothing to avoid saying anything bad.

there's definitely a case there.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

soscannonballs posted:

Met did have an opportunity though.

I think the rest of us are making a pretty solid effort at looking for scum, and there was information circling that he could have made an argument from when he posted. I'm unimpressed so far, and of course I am willing to change my mind if he posts some meaningful stuff tonight, but he's firmly topping my list at the moment.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
To get some things rolling:

Right now it seems that my top three choices are murmur, twelve, and met.

None of them have been able to post today to defend themselves, but we are slowly moving toward the deadline.

the one who has seemed most awkward and scummy to me has been Twelvebaud, so I am going to start out my voting with

##vote TwelveBaud

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm at work right now and should be back right around the deadline. If you guys kill somebody before I'm home, don't post after they're hammered (receive the majority of the votes) I'll post the flip as soon as I'm available.

Also please get your night actions in quickly tonight. Shoot them to me before the day actually ends if you'd like. You can even give me conditionals like "if x is scum I use my action on y, if not I use it on z" if you're really inclined.

If I can get night phase to be like 30 minutes I'll be super happy.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Ok so here is what I think about the game so far. Based on my past (albeit limited) mafia experience, a lot of the time on D1 you have 2-3 town players go after each other while the scum team kind of sits back. Now the scum don't lurk as in not posting, they are usually around but just don't post anything of substance, and if you look at the post count list they often fall around the middle. I feel like we have a pretty good chance of hitting scum if we disregard the top and bottom two posters and examine those who remaining. Here is the list as of right now:

The Carpet Shark
Mr. Maltose
Soscannonballs
Murmur Twin
Met

Now I know that I am town, so the other 4 are the people I am the most interested in right now. Of those four, I am not really getting scummy vibes from Murmur Twin. I am a little uneasy about The Carpet Shark, but Mr Maltose and Met are at the top of my scum list right now. Hopefully they will be around to post before the deadline. It would also be great if Twelvebaud and Adus could post more.

##vote Met

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MildManeredManikin posted:

I'm at work right now and should be back right around the deadline. If you guys kill somebody before I'm home, don't post after they're hammered (receive the majority of the votes) I'll post the flip as soon as I'm available.

Also please get your night actions in quickly tonight. Shoot them to me before the day actually ends if you'd like. You can even give me conditionals like "if x is scum I use my action on y, if not I use it on z" if you're really inclined.

If I can get night phase to be like 30 minutes I'll be super happy.

awesome

anyway i did actually just read murmur's scum game. her lynch was hilarious and her playstyle is indeed different from what we're seeing here. but i got my eye on her.

twelvebaud or met? decisions decisions. i think the cleanest read is on twelve, which sucks because it was literally one post. i'd really like to see some actual content from met though.

##vote twelvebaud

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

It looks to me like you only think TwelveBaud is scum because he called you scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

(oh god, can someone help me, i don't know how to cast a vote, do i just do two pound signs and bold it? does it automatically bold?)

• Locked thread