Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

enzeen posted:

REM sucks

I think instead you suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

redshirt posted:

REM stole their sound, FYI, from The Byrds. And The Feelies.

More like the Soft Boys :science:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheReverend posted:

I live in the town they're from and where the B-52s were from so the town got this undeserved reputation of being a good town for music but everything has actually sucked poo poo since then.

The Elephant Six Collective relocated to Athens in the late 90s and every one of those bands is loving awesome though so ???

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

list of important pop music artists who were not fueled by drugs:
Queen
Frank Zappa

um

a bunch of boring canadians?

actually, yeah, Rush is a pretty good answer to that question. after shows, neil peart would go back to his hotel room and read books

probably lovely books, though, since he wrote a whole album based on an ayn rand novel

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Klyith posted:

I really like Up but that has a lot to do with what was going on with my life when it came out. It has personal nostalgia (and it's a good album for that since it's full of melancholy nostalgic songs). If I seperate myself from that I don't think it's that good.

Reveal is crap, Around the Sun is even worse. They're both completely boring. Somehow Reveal has acquired some sort of prestige as being underrated. "This album wasn't actually worse than cancer", ok then.

Accelerate and Collapse are ok, but in a lot of ways sound like a really good REM cover band. They're short and full of constant-sound type songs, very claustrophobic. REM is better with a less is more type sound, but whatever they're good to throw in the car while driving.
Basically they went off the rails when Bill Berry retired, which was something I never would have predicted back when they were making good albums; it's weird the way that the alchemy of a successful band works. Take away one piece and suddenly you go from getting Monster and New Adventures to churning out Up and Around the Sun.

I love their older stuff but I admit that, because I was in high school in 1991, Out of Time is probably my favorite album of all time. I should probably be embarrassed about that but whatever. I was a white kid from the suburbs; I'm allowed to like R.E.M.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Out of Time has some incredibly bad songs on it but side 2 is pretty much gold and "Country Feedback" is in their top 10 so it gets a pass

also yeah who would have thought that losing the drummer, the one guy who barely ever wrote any parts of their songs (apart from, uh, the drum parts, obviously) would be the thing that broke them

remember when peter buch got drunk and punched a guy on an airplane?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
REM has always been one of those artists that I play during Fall, but I guess I'll take your suggestion and try out those albums since I've always been partial to them. Don't let me down OP, I'm launching spotify now.

e: holy crap these albums go way back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
also while a lot of people like Monster and New Adventures now, at the time they were critically panned pretty hard and at one point Monster had the dubious honor of being "the CD most sold to used CD stores". places used to literally give it away.

Amazon posted:

164 new from $0.01 977 used from $0.01

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hah, that explains why our local used CD place had so many copies of that for $0.25.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah used cd stores used to carry two REM albums: monster and automatic for the people.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Avocados posted:

REM has always been one of those artists that I play during Fall, but I guess I'll take your suggestion and try out those albums since I've always been partial to them. Don't let me down OP, I'm launching spotify now.

e: holy crap these albums go way back.

Just listen to their first 8 studio albums and the Chronic Town EP, which is digitally available as the last 5 or 6 tracks of the Dead Letter Office comp. Everything else is kinda superfluous, tbh.

FYI, I saw the Replacements live yesterday so you haters can all choke on my thick veiny cred.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ah, Dead Letter Office. Fun album.

Stipe literally reading the phone book.

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010

redshirt posted:

I think instead you suck.

forum enemy spotted

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

redshirt posted:

Ah, Dead Letter Office. Fun album.

Stipe literally reading the phone book.

you mean the alternate "7 Chinese Brothers"? that was liner notes to some gospel album.

for the longest time, before the internet, i thought they were honest to god alternate lyrics about some preacher named Harold

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

precision posted:

also while a lot of people like Monster and New Adventures now, at the time they were critically panned pretty hard and at one point Monster had the dubious honor of being "the CD most sold to used CD stores". places used to literally give it away.
Lots of people, I think, were hooked into R.E.M. with "Everybody Hurts" (largely written, bizarrely enough, by Bill Berry) and, to a lesser extent, the whole Automatic album. That song was everywhere and if there had been youtube in 1993 you would have drowned in the anime music videos and Kurt Cobain tributes set to the song.

Monster and New Adventures were both great albums but they were absolutely nothing like Automatic (and not much like Out of Time) and I think that the people who just wanted more of the same and bought them on release based on "Everybody Hurts" sold them back to the stores in giant batches. It was fun watching people try to make a single out of "E-bow the Letter" though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah alright, Dead Letter Office is only good for the Chronic Town tracks and utter garbage otherwise.

But Chronic Town's gold and only available on Spotify/iTunes as part of DLO- so he might as well just cut a playlist starting with 'Wolves, Lower' from it and leave it at that. It's Spotify so it's not like he's actually paying anything extra there or whatever.

NorgLyle posted:

Lots of people, I think, were hooked into R.E.M. with "Everybody Hurts" (largely written, bizarrely enough, by Bill Berry) and, to a lesser extent, the whole Automatic album. That song was everywhere and if there had been youtube in 1993 you would have drowned in the anime music videos and Kurt Cobain tributes set to the song.

Monster and New Adventures were both great albums but they were absolutely nothing like Automatic (and not much like Out of Time) and I think that the people who just wanted more of the same and bought them on release based on "Everybody Hurts" sold them back to the stores in giant batches. It was fun watching people try to make a single out of "E-bow the Letter" though.

LOLOLOLOL at people whose only frame of reference for REM is their output post-1990.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

precision posted:

you mean the alternate "7 Chinese Brothers"? that was liner notes to some gospel album.

for the longest time, before the internet, i thought they were honest to god alternate lyrics about some preacher named Harold

Yeah that's it. Fun!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NorgLyle posted:

ya, i saw 'em on the Monster tour and it was weird, because a lot of the audience was visibly confused. if i remember correctly they didn't even play "Losing My Religion" and definitely not "Everybody Hurts", they played a lot of new songs (that became NAIHF) and some random old ones. they did close out the night with "It's the End of the World" though, meh.

also wtf guys the covers on Dead Letter Office are awesome, Crazy, Pale Blue Eyes, Femme Fatale, motherfucking TOYS IN THE ATTIC, and oh yeah that BBQ jingle

i mean it IS a b-sides collection after all

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

precision posted:

ya, i saw 'em on the Monster tour and it was weird, because a lot of the audience was visibly confused. if i remember correctly they didn't even play "Losing My Religion" and definitely not "Everybody Hurts", they played a lot of new songs (that became NAIHF) and some random old ones. they did close out the night with "It's the End of the World" though, meh.

also wtf guys the covers on Dead Letter Office are awesome, Crazy, Pale Blue Eyes, Femme Fatale, motherfucking TOYS IN THE ATTIC, and oh yeah that BBQ jingle

i mean it IS a b-sides collection after all

Wasn't it an IRS records cash grab after REM signed with Warner Brothers?

REM sold out in 1988.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Imagine hitting Stipe with a golf club. Just imagine what that would be like. Go ahead, close your eyes and imagine hitting him. I don't care what club it is. Wood, iron, putter, even a hybrid would be fine. You can use steel or graphite shafts, either will work. You could even use an old timey club with a wooden shaft like they used in the 1700s. Just imagine taking a big old swing and hitting him with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

redshirt posted:

Wasn't it an IRS records cash grab after REM signed with Warner Brothers?

REM sold out in 1988.

no, you're thinking of Eponymous, which was the blatant cash grab that hardly had any new songs and was pretty poo poo

Green is a weird loving album to go back to, it's half utter garbage and half utterly awesome, i guess like Out of Time in that way

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

precision posted:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rem/1995/the-gorge-amphitheatre-george-wa-13d69105.html

They apparently played "Everybody Hurts" here as part of the encore but I don't remember that at all. I remember freaking out when they did Pop Song and Fall On Me, though. That was my first R.E.M. show and I was too into it to really pay any attention to the rest of the crowd.

Green is probably my least favorite "real" R.E.M. album. But that might just be because "The Wrong Child" feels like the song that somebody who hated Michael Stipe would write, attribute to him and perform as a parody of him at his worst.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Holy poo poo, somehow I didn't even know this website exists. Now I'm going to get lost looking up hundreds of concerts.

Apparently, I saw REM on 9/11, haha:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rem/1995/starwood-amphitheatre-antioch-tn-bd691ce.html

I don't remember "Everybody Hurts" in the encore at my show either. weird.

Radiohead was the opening band and due to traffic we got there in time to only hear the very end of "Creep". in retrospect, i kinda really wish i had seen their set, since i didn't listen to them at all until OK Computer

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

I used to like them, the nosedive they took when Bill left p. much proves that he was their best songwriter, they might as well have called it quits by then

also was anyone else weirded out when Mike ditched his "I'm the nerdiest person in the universe" look when they released Monster

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
according to REM bios, mike mills was the worst alcoholic in the band. yes. worse than PETER BUCK. who once destroyed an airplane. POST-9/11.

quote:

When captain Tom Payne arrived on the scene, Buck was said to have accused the cabin crew of drinking and assaulting him.

Buck taunted Mr Payne by saying "you're just a f*****g captain and I'm REM" when he was given a warning about his behaviour, the court heard.

Steward Ravinder Singh told the court that the musician hurled abuse at the captain as he warned him that he could be arrested by police when the plane landed in London.

Spoon danger

Mr Singh said he had initially grabbed the guitarist from behind when he was brandishing a spoon and struggling with Mr Agius and Ms Ward in the aisle.

"I thought there might be a danger that he might hit somebody with the spoon.

"He was moving it backward and forward in the direction of Mr Agius."

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
They were pretty good, yeah. idk about really good though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

No joke: A chick I liked was into REM and hating on Reagan so I stopped being a member of the Reagan Youth and started listening to REM and getting angry at US interventions in Central America.

Not sure if it was the right choice in retrospect.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Back in the mid 1990s or something when that video for "Everybody Hurts" was floating around, I thought in earnest that Michael Stipe was recovering from cancer or something and told my know-it-all cousin this and he was all "yeah, well, duh" matter-of-factly.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheReverend posted:

I live in the town they're from and where the B-52s were from so the town got this undeserved reputation of being a good town for music but everything has actually sucked poo poo since then.

Harvey Milk. Checkmate.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Aren't Of Montreal from Athens? Wait. gently caress- I guess that proves your point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aren't Of Montreal from Athens? Wait. gently caress- I guess that proves your point.

No, but they were part of the Elephant 6 Collective, which was (still is) located in Athens, and included/includes Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Elf Power, Beulah, The Essex Green, Circulatory Systems, and probably some others

e: actually no, Of Montreal WERE from Athens, it's The Apples In Stereo i was thinking of as being "the elephant six band that wasn't from athens"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the only good song rem made was stand

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoc8_aJLpes

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
i never got the hate for shiny happy people, especially from the band itself. it's got a nice little tune that borders on being irritating without actually crossing the line, and the lyrics are obviously supposed to be ironic. i think it's a funny song.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

fixelbrumpf posted:

also was anyone else weirded out when Mike ditched his "I'm the nerdiest person in the universe" look when they released Monster

I knew a guy who had this theory that Mills and Stipe secretly agreed to switch places in terms of who was the fuckin' dorkiest looking member of REM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Benedick Cuckold posted:

i never got the hate for shiny happy people, especially from the band itself. it's got a nice little tune that borders on being irritating without actually crossing the line, and the lyrics are obviously supposed to be ironic. i think it's a funny song.

where did you hear the band hates that song? i can't recall them every saying that, though i know they talked about hating "get up".

it's not really a bad song or anything, it's just kind of... well let's just say it was a weird song to put on what is one of their most downtempo and depressing albums outside of that track and "Near Wild Heaven"

"Radio Song" is the real :catstare: of the REM backcatalogue

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

"Radio Song" isn't even the most :catstare: thing on Out of Time. Not when this exists.

I always liked "Shiny Happy People" and "Me In Honey" just for the Kate Pierson guest appearances. I always liked the way that a woman's voice complimented some of the usual R.E.M. stylings. "Photograph" with Natalie Merchant was also really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i actually really like "Belong". :shobon:

e: and speaking of non-Stipe vocals, it's a drat crime that they didn't let Mills sing lead more often.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
"Tongue" remains my favorite REM song since being released for being so weird and out of place at the time and the video is pretty good, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd5M17e7Wek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.
Egypt was troubled by a horrible asp.

gently caress.

• Locked thread