Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw, I was hoping for a Bosco cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
A worthy end to a fun fun game series. Thanks for taking us through it, Rocket Baby Dolls!

There is only one slight fly in the ointment of this ending. We never get to see Sybil and Lincoln's baby. For shame, Telltale. :colbert:

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for playing all these games; it's been a blast. One last thing, what was Girl Stinky's deal?

She was never a cake so evil that it transformed into a woman. Flint explains the how of it in the last episode as Rocket clicks on the various props that made the trick possible. The point was to make Grandpa Stinky think Girl Stinky and he were related so that he would put her in his will.

As far as I can see she just really wanted a diner of her own and attempted to legally acquire Stinky's through a number of increasingly elaborate murder attempts to get 'her inheritance' as Grandpa Stinky's 'daughter', but found out the hard way that Grandpa Stinky is one tough old codger. She seized upon the chance to manipulate Skun'kape into helping her achieve her goals (much as she did with Sal), but when her final plot failed, she fled with him in his space ship only to (presumably) get blown up by a cosmic elder god explosion.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Wait wasnt there supposed to be a traitor?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Iretep posted:

Wait wasnt there supposed to be a traitor?

We were told one of the characters before us in the opening bit would betray Sam and Max, yes. And the Narrator was the only actual character present, everyone else was just a painting :v: Although even if you don't take such a literal view he was always at least a possibility.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Congratulations on finishing your 17-game mega-LP, Rocket Baby Dolls. I'm glad that someone has finally made a wonderful LP of these games.

I remember really disliking the ending, feeling that it's not our Max and that all the preceding stories had been ret-conned. It does seem strange to end three seasons of wacky adventures on such a down note. And I sadly doubt Season 4 will be making an appearance anytime soon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never put two and two together for that final scene. I always thought it was just some random alternate-dimension Max who lost his Sam, but I guess it's the time-duplicate Max from the Sam & Max who Sam & Max prime snagged using the Mariachi time traveling elevator, and the time duplicates were having their own wacky adventures...somewhere. It's a bit of a contrived way of bringing Max back, but it was already a little contrived how circumstances kept aligning to neutralize Sam's efforts to cure Max. Who knew that Max cared so much about Sybil's baby?

Of course, from a practical perspective, they both might as well be dead. Telltale's all about their new Walking Dead style choose-a-thons now, no time for goofy Sam and Max.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cloud Potato posted:

Congratulations on finishing your 17-game mega-LP, Rocket Baby Dolls. I'm glad that someone has finally made a wonderful LP of these games.

I remember really disliking the ending, feeling that it's not our Max and that all the preceding stories had been ret-conned. It does seem strange to end three seasons of wacky adventures on such a down note. And I sadly doubt Season 4 will be making an appearance anytime soon.

I dunno I thought the downbeat ending with dark grizzly life in the city going on worked really well with all the noir jokes the game made.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Thanks for the ride. It's been a pleasure.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I think that playing those records actually changes some of the stuff going on in Max's brain.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Sam & Max in The Devil's Playhouse (Bonus Video: Nutri-Specs and some missing scenes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-HjFHGGjPA

I could only get the Nutri-Specs working in the first episode unfortunately, I don't know whether they left code in by error or what. No matter what I tried in the rest of the series I couldn't get them to work. I've included a few scenarios that I missed out that have been mentioned previously in the thread. I did plan for the weekend but I woke up four hours before my alarm this morning. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten too include, but hopefully I haven't missed anything major.

fractalairduct posted:

I think that playing those records actually changes some of the stuff going on in Max's brain.

I did try but every location I went too just seemed the same.

This LP is officially over, thank you everyone for your kind words and for being here at the end of this wonderful ride.

Take care and bye bye.

RBD, signing out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

drat fine games and a drat fine LP host.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:toot: Thanks for sharing the series with us. I've greatly enjoyed the entire run. Great to have it all start-to-finish like this.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was looking around and saw somewhere that in the last episode choosing either adventure or crime fighting changes the ending. Probably not a big change though.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
It just determines what happens at the very very end of the last scene. In the crime-fighting ending they walk off into the city instead of the elevator.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Thank you, RBD. It's been a fun ride!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thank you for your hard work, it's been great.

Looking forward to your future projects.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who knew that Max cared so much about Sybil's baby?

Max has little regard for social propriety, none for the consequences of his actions, and considers slapstick violence to be the height of entertainment regardless of the victim, but does, deep down in the corroded knuckle of his heart, have the capacity for genuine friendship.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for a year and a half of excellent LPing, RBD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Cloud Potato posted:

Yeah, I felt like that the first time I played it too.

But when I played through a second time, I didn't mind so much. All of season 3 has taken place over the course of a day or two, and Max's latent psychic abilities were only awakened because of the proximity of one of the toy's of power. It makes sense that only a Max from before that point could return and be safe now that the toys are all gone - and if we take the view that Sam and Max's "adventures" are mostly just playing darts and making crank calls in between the actual episodes, the only thing the "replacement" Max has missed out on is the trip to hell.

It was still very much a downer ending though, on a series that really didn't need one. The three series are so much fun, and the whole premise is built on the idea that these two characters know they're the invincible protagonists and can do whatever the like without worrying about what will happen, so it's a pity to end on such a serious note with nothing to follow it. Doesn't detract from a brilliant series though.

I very much prefer the crimefighting ending to the other one though, it seems like Max slips straight back into Max. I am also heartened by remembering that Max and Sam do apparently grow old hanging out together in the future if we can believe the T.H.E.M. episode from season 2 :3:

Edit: If anyone wants to see the alternative "crimefighting" ending, there's a Youtube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hAiE-uGf5Uw#t=75 - if you prefer RBD I can take it down if you want to do it instead.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 27, 2016

• Locked thread