Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I always figured they were supposed to be annoying-but-kinda-sympathetic, then Telltale listened when their feedback said "no just annoying" and went from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I didn't expect so much hate on the voice acting. Initially I thought the voice actors reprised their roles, after fourteen years you'd expect some variances but I didn't notice anything too out of balance. Even before I was halfway into 'Hit The Road' I learnt that the voice actors didn't reprise their role. The main thing for me is that the original ('co'-)creator(?) is at the helm, I found hilarity a few times through the recording.

The voice acting sounds pretty faithful compared to the original game even though the actors have changed. I've yet to watch the animated series but I'm planning on it. The first recording of the TellTale series was amusing. My last memory of the TellTale series was everything getting messed up and flitting between reality and a virtual reality and after a while I threw my hands up and took myself out of it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I honestly have no problem with the voice acting in this game. It seems good enough to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Chalk me up as another person that thinks they sounded fine.

e: IF I have any complaints about it, it's that they do a poor job of hiding how stilted and disjoint games of this type can make dialogue. I seem to recall them getting better at making things flow fluidly as they added seasons though.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 4, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm really enjoying this, but I can see where people are coming from in regards to the voice acting. It's alright, it's often clear it's not the same guys but they do a pretty good job of portraying the voices from the first game. I think the only reason I really notice it is because I played the poo poo out of the first game as a kid. I'd say while it's not exactly the same voice, Max's voice is still pretty much spot on about 95% of the time, while Sam's voice is off slightly, but I can't quite put my finger on how. But it doesn't bother me. They're the same characters, and they're both pretty much as they should be.

And this looks like pointing and clicking is so much less annoying than trying to steer Guybrush in Escape From Monkey Island.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Didn't see any need to comment, voices seemed good enough to me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the only thing I noticed, and I mentioned this in the Monkey Island thread too, is that for some reason the actual recordings for most of the characters is just really poo poo when compared to other games. You can really hear it with Sam's lines and it is VERY obvious with the Poppers. You can hear a tinny, scratching sound accompanied whenever people open their mouths to talk in this game and it is very distracting. The only other games I can think of off the top of my head that had similar recording qualities were the original Resident Evil games and I think that was more due to technology of the time, whether it be what the studio had or whether it be limitations for cramming those voice files into the game data without compressing it to hell and back.

Maybe that's Telltale's problem, they just compress the poo poo out of their voice files and they end up sounding like they do. I don't know, I just know that it's annoying and gives off an un-polished feel for their games

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Aces High posted:

the only thing I noticed, and I mentioned this in the Monkey Island thread too, is that for some reason the actual recordings for most of the characters is just really poo poo when compared to other games. You can really hear it with Sam's lines and it is VERY obvious with the Poppers. You can hear a tinny, scratching sound accompanied whenever people open their mouths to talk in this game and it is very distracting. The only other games I can think of off the top of my head that had similar recording qualities were the original Resident Evil games and I think that was more due to technology of the time, whether it be what the studio had or whether it be limitations for cramming those voice files into the game data without compressing it to hell and back.

Maybe that's Telltale's problem, they just compress the poo poo out of their voice files and they end up sounding like they do. I don't know, I just know that it's annoying and gives off an un-polished feel for their games
I'm thinking it's the fact that they couldn't get proper audio equipment. Remember, back at LucasArts they had access to movie studio equipment, but the stuff they had in Season 1 was all funded by CSI games and GameTap.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, the first episode of the first season, so many letdowns, but just a glimmer of hope to keep you going.

The series did eventually get better as they hit their stride, but a lot of the great humor from the first really is missing, seeing this again. Some of it makes a comeback in the last season but that one also has some of the moments I dislike the most.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I recently finished Season 3 and watching the video I was surprised how different the voices were in Season 1! They change veeery gradually but improve over time in my opinion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose reality television is this generation's roadside kitsch stand.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Sam & Max Save The World - Culture Shock 02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHy6Aygx9A

In this episode the pair dig further into who this Brady Culture character, deal with the Soda Jerks and seek some therapy. I managed to get more done than I thought I would, the next episode should bring about some changes of scenery.

I noticed just how poor the audio recordings are, there's plenty of affordable mics out there which can provide high standards of recording. It just feels like they've overly compressed it to reduce the size of files for consoles. I used FRAPS for this recording, in hindsight I should of recorded the audio separately. I think I'll go back to Camtasia as there's more control and easier editing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Glazius posted:

Well, I suppose reality television is this generation's roadside kitsch stand.

Honestly? I don't know which is worse.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
In a true homage to Lucasarts (particularly the Monkey Island games), Whizzer WILL sing the song if you ask him enough times. You just have to keep asking him beyond the point where any rational person would give up.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

In a true homage to Lucasarts (particularly the Monkey Island games), Whizzer WILL sing the song if you ask him enough times. You just have to keep asking him beyond the point where any rational person would give up.

I thought about pushing him further, I wonder if that option is still available. I'll give it a try in the next update. If not I'll load up an old save game and include it in another update.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sam & Max Save The World - Culture Shock 03

http://youtu.be/ZlgkXPTQED0

In this episode the duo finally catch up with Brady Culture after receiving psychotherapy, pursuing a fleeing suspect and pleasing a monkey. Apologies for the lapse in updates, my work schedule has been busy lately, I'll have another update this weekend.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I rather like how Sam and Max have completely different reactions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How will our heroes get out of this predicament?! Tune in next time for the thrilling conclusion!

Actually, I remember doing an LP of this back in the day, but I can't recall what happens next. So this is all quite pleasing to go through again.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Is the psychotherapy thing really random each time? I dont think i've ever gotten a different set.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Aishlinn posted:

Is the psychotherapy thing really random each time? I dont think i've ever gotten a different set.

I think when I played it I had an unconscious desire to never grow up or something like that - the solution was Max and the birthday cake, but that's all I remember.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Aishlinn posted:

It is indeed. With ink blots it could be about fame or money, I got a little mixed up the first time I tried it. With word association it can either be about dentistry or hair dressers. With dreams it's either about marrying your mother or seeing your peer's age.

So with money you have to answer anything to do with pennies, mansions, wallets, the stock exchange and debit cards. With fame it's all about emmys marquee's, autograpghs, cheering crowds and flashing bulbs.

Words for the very short word association with dentistry include drill, crown, fluoride and polish. For hair it's comb, dryer, teasing, shampoo and tint.

In the dream as you saw you had to link Sybil with a wedding cake. With a peer it's Max and a birthday cake.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 12, 2014

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think you mean wedding cake with Sybil.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think you mean wedding cake with Sybil.

I did indeed. I'll change that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sam & Max Save The World - Culture Shock 04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6en4eqKTkw

The final part of Culture Shock. Sam manages to get out of his hypnotic state and deal with Brady Culture once and for all. It's been a couple of hectic work weeks, I'll blame my commentary on tiredness. I'll be starting "Situation: Comedy" this weekend, updates will start becoming more regular for the next few weeks up until the usually busy run-up to Christmas. Seven days straight to look forward to Christmas, woo! I think I might record some extra videos before then to fill the void.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This episode adds one of my favourite lines in any game: "Worship...THE VIDEOTAPES!"

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm just sad you couldn't tell them to worship Max. Everything else was great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pretty good way for the episode to wrap up, but how many were made overall?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The Soda Poppers' theme is really great. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Soda Popper theme is pretty great.

Man, Bosco doesn't seem to recognize that blueprint. So there's someone else as paranoid and tech-mad as him.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

Samovar posted:

There are six episodes in Sam & Max Save the World. All of them hilarious! Though, the fourth and fifth are my personal favorites.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Glazius posted:

The Soda Popper theme is pretty great.

Man, Bosco doesn't seem to recognize that blueprint. So there's someone else as paranoid and tech-mad as him.

Well, I wouldn't say as paranoid. After all, the other guy did submit himself to the ministrations of a Licensed PsychotherapistTM, or as they're known in Bosco-land, maleficient agents out to plumb the secrets of his brain.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Six in the first season, six in the second and five in the third. Seventeen in total, I don't think that I ever finished the second season and I'm pretty sure I've never even touched season three.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there something that connects the episodes in a season together or are they all stand alone?

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Oh there is, there is theme to each one. But what the theme is, your going to have to wait and see.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Six in the first season, six in the second and five in the third. Seventeen in total, I don't think that I ever finished the second season and I'm pretty sure I've never even touched season three.

I could've sworn there were only 5 in the second season.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

My memory is that only Season 1 had 6 episodes while 2 and 3 were both 5 as well.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Yeah, seasons 2 and 3 were shorter, and the overall theme of the season was better integrated into the plots of the individual episodes and in tying the episodes together. I remember Telltale specifically making a point of those two exact things when they were making season 2.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I rather liked the looseness of the overall theme in the first season. It keeps you guessing as to what is really going on.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

It's a bit of a double-edged sword really. More continuity within a season lets you set up for bigger punchlines at the end, but also means that if a joke falls flat it does a lot of collateral damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Well this is the second time I've looked like a wanker in my own LP, season two is indeed only five episodes long. Episode two of season one will start tomorrow, Max's voice actor was pretty noticeably off throughout. The next video will definitely bring back some memories and a change in gear.

• Locked thread