Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah my favorite of the bunch. The new games, while managing some aspects of bringing the comic to the PC, was severely lacking in the writing and jokes department. It wasn't bad, but it honestly felt more like fanfiction of the original works rather than an extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The TellTale series are a major change, after thirteen years away, a vastly different team at the helm and a standardised engine they were never going to pull it off completely. But they're still humorous and fun to play, Steve Purcell was at the helm and the original voice actors reprised their roles which added extra charm.

It's been a fair few years since I played the first two seasons but I have fond memories of them, I haven't even touched the third season so that's going to be an interesting experience.

Well, some of the voice actors. Didn't one of them die, as I recall?

The third season, while it holds a lot of plot I wouldn't agree with, had some of the better humor. Some of it even manages to get up towards the level this game did, though this is still my favorite of the bunch by a wide margin. Whereas I might get a good laugh out of a few scenes in the new games, practically every scene in this one has me laughing (watching your LP, I'm surprised at how many old jokes I had forgotten and how many have me laughing out loud).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

They're both still alive and their imdb entries are pretty lengthy.

Sam: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0267724

Max: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0417068

Weird, I thought for sure one of them had either passed away or passed on the role, at least.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Glazius posted:

I love how this game is unlocked with travel brochures to cheesy roadside attractions.

Some of the best bits of Sam & Max's setting, in the comics, the tv series and in this game, are the tacky bits of Americana. Another thing I don't think the Telltale games got exactly right.

Edit: vvv Pretty much how I felt when I watched it. Too bad about the executive meddling, I'd have loved a second season.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 5, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, the first episode of the first season, so many letdowns, but just a glimmer of hope to keep you going.

The series did eventually get better as they hit their stride, but a lot of the great humor from the first really is missing, seeing this again. Some of it makes a comeback in the last season but that one also has some of the moments I dislike the most.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

And so we come to the ending. I didn't exactly hate it when I played it the first time, and it was quite lovely to finally beat it, but this was not my favorite season, or game in the series. The first one will always be my favorite, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just watched a few episodes of the tv show, and it was tons of fun, even with the weird tacked on science gal and the bad "best friend" episodes. In comparison to the games, I certainly chuckled a lot more, though these episodes are starting to get a lot better.

• Locked thread