Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Max posted:

I was trying to figure out the ear thing with this guy when I realized he looks old enough to have survived WWI. He probably picked up the habit during that time.

He's essentially Richard but without any physical scars or baggage, and likes getting really up close and personal with his victims.

I'm thinking more like Spanish-American war since he's Cuban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Snark posted:

I was waiting for Capone to complain about the high hat.
Thanks dude, now I can't stop picturing Van Alden asking Eli about the rumpus.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

DookieSandwich posted:

I'm thinking more like Spanish-American war since he's Cuban.

That is also likely, yes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Max posted:

I was trying to figure out the ear thing with this guy when I realized he looks old enough to have survived WWI. He probably picked up the habit during that time.

Or he's just a hardass gangster, those have always existed.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Or he's just a hardass gangster, those have always existed.

And always will exist. Even in utopian futures.

Such a shame this show is getting cut down in its youth, hundreds of years before some of the best gangster stuff even happens.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Max posted:

He's essentially Richard but without any physical scars or baggage, and likes getting really up close and personal with his victims.

Severed ears are a thing in Cuban santeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oba_(goddess)

quote:

Ọba's humiliation by a rival co-wife is one of the most well-known tales associated with this Orisha. While William Bascom's study identified several unusual variations of it, the most popular myth found in West Africa, Brazil, and Cuba has Ọba cutting off her ear to serve to her husband Shango as food, because one of her co-wives (most often Oshun) has convinced her this will secure Shango's attention. Once Shango sees the ear and realizes Ọba has mutilated herself, he chases her from his house and into permanent exile. Bascom notes that though this story is known in many parts of Yoruba country, it was not recognized by her priest in Ogbomosho.[5]

There are a few variations of the myth in Cuba where Oya rather than Oshun tricks Ọba. Another Cuban variation excludes the wifely rivalry entirely, explaining Ọba's self-mutilation of both ears as an effort to feed Shango after they run out of goat and he is in need of food for his struggle against Ogun.[6] By comparison, in the verses of West African Ifa, we find the story inverted somewhat. Ọba cuts off her ear at the advice of Ifa and the measure successfully ties Shango to Ọba, until Orunmila himself steals Ọba from Shango.[7]

Also Cubans didn't really fight in the first world war.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

EvanSchenck posted:

Ok, sorry for interpreting the episode based on what happened in it as opposed to what will apparently happen in episodes that haven't even aired yet. How stupid of me.

There's always one in every tviv thread, it's amazing.

I had no idea this started, very excited and I enjoy the flashbacks because they're very short and there's only a couple in each episode. Hopefully it builds to something because his sick sister was one of the main interesting points and now that's over.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I like the flashbacks too. It 's really weird to have a whole season structured like this but it is working so far.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Aye Doc posted:

Not sure if this counts as spoilers, but Terence Winter talks about the situation in this interview a bit:

http://hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/boardwalk-empire-creator-terence-winter-previews-final-season-jump-forward-in-time

Ahh, poo poo, I hadn't even realized they skipped the Atlantic City Conference. That's a big thing to miss. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_City_Conference

quote:

The Atlantic City Conference held between 13–16 May 1929[1] was a historic summit of leaders of organized crime in the United States. It is considered by most crime historians to be the earliest organized crime summit held in the US. The conference had a major impact on the future direction of the criminal underworld and it held more importance and significance than the Havana Conference of 1946 and the Apalachin meeting of 1957. It also represented the first concrete move toward a National Crime Syndicate.[2]

quote:

The Atlantic City Conference was said to be hosted by Meyer Lansky, Italian-American mobster Johnny Torrio, Charlie "Lucky" Luciano and Frank Costello. The old world leaders or "Mustache Petes" from New York, Giuseppe "Joe the Boss" Masseria and Salvatore Maranzano, were not invited, as well as future underworld power Joseph "Joe Bananas" Bonanno since he was Maranzano's top lieutenant at the time. The organizing host of the conference was Atlantic City and South Jersey crime boss, Enoch "Nucky" Johnson, who provided the hotel accommodations, food and entertainment for all, while making a guarantee of no police interference.

The largest delegation in the conference came from the New York/New Jersey area and included mobsters John "The Fox" Torrio, formerly of Chicago, Charlie "Lucky" Luciano, Frank Costello, Giuseppe "Joe Adonis" Doto and Vito Genovese, all top members of Manhattan's powerful Masseria Family, Albert "The Mad Hatter" Anastasia, Frank "Cheech" Scalise and Vincent Mangano, from the D'Aquila/Mineo Family of Manhattan, Gaetano "Tommy Brown" Lucchese, represented the Reina Family out of the Bronx, Quarico "Willie Moore" Moretti, represented the Masseria Family's Newark, New Jersey interests, Meyer "The Brain" Lansky and Benny "Bugsy" Siegel, bosses of the Bugs and Meyer Mob, who protected liquor shipments in the New York/New Jersey areas, Louis "Lepke" Buchalter and Jacob "Gurrah" Shapiro, considered the underworld's "Rockefellers" and also known as the "Gorilla Boys", Abner "Longy" Zwillman, also representing Newark, New Jersey, Dutch Schultz, Bronx beer baron and Harlem numbers king, Owen "Owney the Killer" Madden, boss of Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen and the Irish Combine, Frank Erickson, former Rothstein Lt., Costello associate and future bookmaking kingpin.

Chicago was represented by Alphonse "Scarface" Capone, Frank "The Enforcer" Nitti, Jake "Greasy Thumb" Guzik, Frank "Frank Cline" Rio, top members of the South Side Capone Gang and representing Mid West interests, Capone body guard and only one of two Irish gangsters present Frank McErlane of the South Side Saltis/McErlane Gang. From Philadelphia came the top Jewish-American bosses, Irving "Waxey Gordon" Wexler, Harry "Nig Rosen" Stromberg, Max "Boo Boo" Hoff, Irving "Bitzy" Bitz and Charles Schwartz. From Cleveland came the "Little Jewish Navy" of Morris "Moe" Dalitz and Louis "Lou Roddy" Rothkopf, along with adopted Polizzi Family member, Leo "Charles Polizzi" Berkowitz who represented "Little Italy's", "Mayfield Road Mob". The feared Purple Gang of Detroit was represented by brothers Abe and William Joseph "Bugs Bill" Bernstein. Boston's most prominent bootlegger, Charles "King" Solomon was present, while Kansas City's "Balestrere Gang" and the "Pendergast Machine" were represented by boss John Lazia. Delegations from Florida and Louisiana were also present at the time, which would most likely be, Luciano and Costello allies, Santo Trafficante, Sr. of Tampa and Sylvestro "Silver Dollar Sam" Carolla of New Orleans.

quote:

The conference started off with an apparent embarrassing incident for some of those invited who tried to check into the first hotel Nucky Johnson had them registered, namely at the exclusive Atlantic City Breakers Hotel along the Boardwalk, which then was restricted to white Anglo-Saxon Protestant clients (in later years, the Breakers Hotel catered to a mainly Jewish clientele, becoming known as "The Aristocrat of Kosher Hotels"). Once the hotel's management found out multiple guests were trying to check in with Anglo Saxon aliases, some delegates were refused admittance. Subsequently Johnson heard about the problem and rushed over to the hotel to mitigate the situation. Al Capone being himself screamed at Nucky Johnson for not making the proper arrangements and a loud argument ensued between the two gangsters while the others watched and hoped they would not come to blows. Suddenly Johnson who was taller and heavier than Capone pushed him into a limousine and ordered every one to follow him. They headed for the Ritz-Carlton and Ambassador Hotels and when Capone reached the hotel he ripped several framed paintings and photos off the walls of the hotel and started to throw them at Nucky Johnson. The others concentrated on keeping Al Capone calm and quiet for the time being.

WHY DID WE NOT GET TO SEE THIS?! :mad:

One neat thing from that interview is where he revealed that there will be flashbacks to 20 year old Nucky, played by Marc Pickering. If you GIS him, he's a pretty good ringer for a young Nucky. There's even some shots of him in costume, as a cop or maybe even the County Sheriff.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 20, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
First two episodes were great. Young Nucky is a great actor. It began with - "You think you would get rewarded for being honest?" (or something like that).

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Mickey getting uppity.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Mickey getting uppity.
He better watch his poo poo because he's murdered in 1931.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Really poor trigger discipline from Chalky's fellow escapee.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"You can't stop every bad thing. It's just how it is."

There's very little I would say could improve The Sopranos, but a final season where its 50% young Tony learning the ropes is at the top.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
So did that guy (Kennedy?) bail out of the deal because he didn't like Nucky's answer?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I think so, he poured him a drink which was like a deadly insult as far as he was concerned, like I can't take you seriously unless you have obvious motivations and definable goals and non serious people drink and he obviously noticed Nucky not drinking to be polite. Nucky's answer was a really transparent half hearted lie because it hadn't been true for a very long time. Back In season 2 he might have wanted to "build something" but somewhere a long the way yadda yadda yadda. Anyway I thought that was his gently caress you too back.

And then Margaret shows up so that might be the new project he latches onto.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 22, 2014

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've just gotten caught up on eps 1-3. Great show. As awesome as ever.

One thing though, I'm kinda hazy on how Season 4 ended. I watched the last 2 eps of that with my old man and we were both drunk as poo poo. Did Nucky quit Atlantic City entirely? Who's running things there now? It seems like Doyle is the de facto manager but he is a moron and Nucky never liked him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

One thing though, I'm kinda hazy on how Season 4 ended. I watched the last 2 eps of that with my old man and we were both drunk as poo poo. Did Nucky quit Atlantic City entirely? Who's running things there now? It seems like Doyle is the de facto manager but he is a moron and Nucky never liked him.

I think it's Mickey by default because Nucky has run out of competent partners, outside of Patricia Arquette.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BeigeJacket posted:

Nucky is still living there and very much in charge. Mickey is his number 2 because he's the last man standing. He visits Cuba a lot, but is still based in AC. If the show followed real life, the past few years have been eventful, with the Atlantic City Commision meeting and the building of the Boardwalk Convention Hall.

One question I have is what's the significance of that letter he got with the weird return address? Who was that from?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
For the sake of people curious about the odd pacing and lack of explanation (with the "What's your deal?" talk by Joe Kennedy being one of the stand out moments where they made it work artistically), the creators themselves have gone on record as being pressed for time and content. Whether it's from burnout or mutually agreed cancellation doesn't really matter because the audience deserves better for sticking around after all there meanderings and red-herrings.

It should be expected that a show banking on grand aesthetics and historical intersections should have trouble being concise and poetic, but the Joe Kennedy is Awesome and Al Capone is Awesomely Awful bits strike me as the show actually starting to show real artistic identity after the stagnation that came with losing Jimmy. Again, this is something the creators themselves have noted in interviews.

I'm hoping the ability to give dramatically framed but subtly informed scenes is something the show sticks with, and ditches this whole pretension that their characters exist for any reason besides their historical/plot relevance. Personally, I get mad that this isn't the Sopranos and that's my fault for being conditioned to expect that. But the show should know better than that, they know who they are and who they aren't.

P.S. I wish Mr. Doyle all the luck in the world. He gonna need it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

What was the significance of having the flowers guy show up in the grass after that girl was over there? I at first thought she was peeing back there, but then the guy walked out of the same area a minute later, which almost made it seem like they wanted to imply they were loving. I get that he needed Nucky to see him at some point in order to vouch for him later on, but it was really odd placing to me.

Also I assumed that the girl was Gillian but that wasn't the name on the postcard.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

What was the significance of having the flowers guy show up in the grass after that girl was over there? I at first thought she was peeing back there, but then the guy walked out of the same area a minute later, which almost made it seem like they wanted to imply they were loving. I get that he needed Nucky to see him at some point in order to vouch for him later on, but it was really odd placing to me.

Also I assumed that the girl was Gillian but that wasn't the name on the postcard.

He was wandering around the beach in a daze after killing the lady which is why he seemed so flighty and out of it. The sheriff said they found him on the beach and supposedly killed him for what he had done, so that introduced Nucky to the idea of murder being an end to justify the means.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Vanderdeath posted:

He was wandering around the beach in a daze after killing the lady which is why he seemed so flighty and out of it. The sheriff said they found him on the beach and supposedly killed him for what he had done, so that introduced Nucky to the idea of murder being an end to justify the means.

Ah, I didn't realize that he had presumably already killed that woman at that point. The timing of his appearance there just threw me off, coming from right where the girl did. Maybe I'm the only one who thought that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, that was a key moment for the Education of Young Nucky. Powerful Men who are in Control will do what needs to be done, irrespective of any laws. It's Nucky's justification for a lot of what he's done his whole life.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

KORNOLOGY posted:

For the sake of people curious about the odd pacing and lack of explanation (with the "What's your deal?" talk by Joe Kennedy being one of the stand out moments where they made it work artistically), the creators themselves have gone on record as being pressed for time and content. Whether it's from burnout or mutually agreed cancellation doesn't really matter because the audience deserves better for sticking around after all there meanderings and red-herrings.

It should be expected that a show banking on grand aesthetics and historical intersections should have trouble being concise and poetic, but the Joe Kennedy is Awesome and Al Capone is Awesomely Awful bits strike me as the show actually starting to show real artistic identity after the stagnation that came with losing Jimmy. Again, this is something the creators themselves have noted in interviews.

I'm hoping the ability to give dramatically framed but subtly informed scenes is something the show sticks with, and ditches this whole pretension that their characters exist for any reason besides their historical/plot relevance. Personally, I get mad that this isn't the Sopranos and that's my fault for being conditioned to expect that. But the show should know better than that, they know who they are and who they aren't.

P.S. I wish Mr. Doyle all the luck in the world. He gonna need it.

Gillian wrote a letter last episode and now he received one from a Maybel someone with very similar handwriting to Mabel. That was the name of the girl in the flashback that both Nucky and Chalky accidentally spoke outloud this episode, which means Chalky also had a part to play in whatever it was that happened the Gillian.

Actually, this is pretty much wrong, so you can safely ignore what I just said. I forgot that Chalky's dead daughter was named Maybell. Not the same as Mabel.

Max fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 23, 2014

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Max posted:

Gillian wrote a letter last episode and now he received one from a Maybel. That was the name of the girl in the flashback that both Nucky and Chalky accidentally spoke outloud this episode, which means Chalky also had a part to play in whatever it was that happened the Gillian.

Chalky was talking about his dead daughter Maybelle who was shot by Harrow. Mabel is the girl who became Nucky's first wife. But you might be onto something about that letter being the one from Gillian. Did it really say it was from Mabel? If so that would be a perfect alias for Gillian to use if she was writing to Nucky--she is one of the few people who knows his history and knows it would be a dagger to his heart. I imagine she's looking for his help to get out, but also a measure of revenge for his part in making her.

Alternately, maybe the letter is actually from Nucky's dead wife, and the show will reveal it's really a supernatural drama in it's last few episodes. :ghost:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Astroman posted:

Chalky was talking about his dead daughter Maybelle who was shot by Harrow. Mabel is the girl who became Nucky's first wife. But you might be onto something about that letter being the one from Gillian. Did it really say it was from Mabel? If so that would be a perfect alias for Gillian to use if she was writing to Nucky--she is one of the few people who knows his history and knows it would be a dagger to his heart. I imagine she's looking for his help to get out, but also a measure of revenge for his part in making her.

Alternately, maybe the letter is actually from Nucky's dead wife, and the show will reveal it's really a supernatural drama in it's last few episodes. :ghost:

I totally forgot about his daughters name.

Edit: I'm a moron and can't read or watch tv properly tonight.

Max fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 23, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm such a loving idiot, Mabel is his dead wife.

I still think that letter was from Gillian.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Ah, I didn't realize that he had presumably already killed that woman at that point. The timing of his appearance there just threw me off, coming from right where the girl did. Maybe I'm the only one who thought that.

He may have killed the woman on the first night and was using the flowers to cover the smell.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
That kid Mickey picked up has to be Tommy Darmody

I liked everything about this episode except the Chalky storyline. What an awful subplot for a short final season.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

James Woods Fan posted:

That kid Mickey picked up has to be Tommy Darmody

I liked everything about this episode except the Chalky storyline. What an awful subplot for a short final season.

The Chalky plot so far reminds me a lot of Native Son. That took place in the 1930s too. Particularly the juxtaposition of demeanor between Chalky and Buck.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Astroman posted:

Did it really say it was from Mabel?

I'm assuming this is from Gillian because, as Drunk History taught me this season, Nellie Bly was a famous journalist who did this:

quote:

Burdened again with theater and arts reporting, Bly left the Pittsburgh Dispatch in 1887 for New York City. Penniless after four months, she talked her way into the offices of Joseph Pulitzer's newspaper, the New York World, and took an undercover assignment for which she agreed to feign insanity to investigate reports of brutality and neglect at the Women's Lunatic Asylum on Blackwell's Island.

After a night of practicing deranged expressions in front of a mirror, she checked into a working-class boardinghouse. She refused to go to bed, telling the boarders that she was afraid of them and that they looked crazy. They soon decided that she was crazy, and the next morning summoned the police. Taken to a courtroom, she pretended to have amnesia. The judge concluded she had been drugged.

She was then examined by several doctors, who all declared her to be insane. "Positively demented," said one, "I consider it a hopeless case. She needs to be put where someone will take care of her."[11] The head of the insane pavilion at Bellevue Hospital pronounced her "undoubtedly insane". The case of the "pretty crazy girl" attracted media attention: "Who Is This Insane Girl?" asked the New York Sun. The New York Times wrote of the "mysterious waif" with the "wild, hunted look in her eyes", and her desperate cry: "I can't remember I can't remember."

Committed to the asylum, Bly experienced its conditions firsthand. The food consisted of gruel broth, spoiled beef, bread that was little more than dried dough, and dirty undrinkable water. The dangerous patients were tied together with ropes. The patients were made to sit for much of each day on hard benches with scant protection from the cold. Waste was all around the eating places. Rats crawled all around the hospital. The bathwater was frigid, and buckets of it were poured over their heads. The nurses were obnoxious and abusive, telling the patients to shut up, and beating them if they did not. Speaking with her fellow patients, Bly was convinced that some were as sane as she was. On the effect of her experiences, she wrote:

What, excepting torture, would produce insanity quicker than this treatment? Here is a class of women sent to be cured. I would like the expert physicians who are condemning me for my action, which has proven their ability, to take a perfectly sane and healthy woman, shut her up and make her sit from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. on straight-back benches, do not allow her to talk or move during these hours, give her no reading and let her know nothing of the world or its doings, give her bad food and harsh treatment, and see how long it will take to make her insane. Two months would make her a mental and physical wreck.

…My teeth chattered and my limbs were …numb with cold. Suddenly, I got three buckets of ice-cold water…one in my eyes, nose and mouth.

After ten days, Bly was released from the asylum at The World's behest. Her report, later published in book form as Ten Days in a Mad-House, caused a sensation and brought her lasting fame. While embarrassed physicians and staff fumbled to explain how so many professionals had been fooled, a grand jury launched its own investigation into conditions at the asylum, inviting Bly to assist. The jury's report recommended the changes she had proposed, and its call for increased funds for care of the insane prompted an $850,000 increase in the budget of the Department of Public Charities and Corrections. They also made sure that future examinations were more thorough so that only the seriously ill actually went to the asylum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNQUEa7xQcA

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 23, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm assuming Nellie Bly is an alias but goddamn it's a cool reference.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

pentyne posted:

"You can't stop every bad thing. It's just how it is."

There's very little I would say could improve The Sopranos, but a final season where its 50% young Tony learning the ropes is at the top.

Finding a young actor who could get close to Gandolfini's Tony would have been pretty miraculous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It may have been pretty obviously manipulated, but I admit feeling a real sense of dread and tension through every scene with Chalky's fellow fugitive in that house. Something about the utter quiet of much of them, with just that kind of low buzz of insects omnipresent in the background which I guess reflected the guy's obvious mental impairment (from that dent in his head?) and the sense he was ready to just explode into crazy action at any moment.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Cathay was an old name for parts of China so I am hoping against hope that "en route to Cathay" means Gillian is digging to freedom.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Cathay was an old name for parts of China so I am hoping against hope that "en route to Cathay" means Gillian is digging to freedom.
After Ten Days in a Mad-House Bly also wrote a book about trying to recreate Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days for the first time in real life.

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/world/world.html

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

David Chase has actually talked about how The Sopranos' writing team often wrote out long bits of flashbacks - but usually scrapped them because of how hard it was to find someone who could credibly be a young Tony Soprano. I largely defend Buscemi's portrayal of Nucky, and I think this year's flashbacks have had some impeccable acting. But trying to recapture the sheer intensity of Gandolfini was a fool's errand.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Narcissus1916 posted:

David Chase has actually talked about how The Sopranos' writing team often wrote out long bits of flashbacks - but usually scrapped them because of how hard it was to find someone who could credibly be a young Tony Soprano. I largely defend Buscemi's portrayal of Nucky, and I think this year's flashbacks have had some impeccable acting. But trying to recapture the sheer intensity of Gandolfini was a fool's errand.

It still would have been great to see more of Johnny Boy in action, and how he helped make Tony into the man he became. They spent so much time on Tony's parenting, and Livia, but not enough time on Johnny Boy. Also seeing him interact with younger versions of Junior, Paulie, etc would have been eye-opening.

They've done a great job with young Nucky and The Commodore; I can't wait to see some of the other 'lil Boardwalkers.

Jerusalem posted:

It may have been pretty obviously manipulated, but I admit feeling a real sense of dread and tension through every scene with Chalky's fellow fugitive in that house. Something about the utter quiet of much of them, with just that kind of low buzz of insects omnipresent in the background which I guess reflected the guy's obvious mental impairment (from that dent in his head?) and the sense he was ready to just explode into crazy action at any moment.

I was frankly surprised it took Chalky that long to take him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

I was frankly surprised it took Chalky that long to take him out.

He was about to make his move earlier when the guy was getting creepy with the daughter but the mother interrupted by revealing the safe was upstairs. It was pretty clear he didn't like the guy at all but I think he was just hoping to make a quick score with him and then either slip away later or just straight up tell the guy it was time to go their separate ways.

• Locked thread