Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Pron on VHS posted:

Forgive me but I tend to forget everything that happens in TV shows season to season but...we don't know why Chalky was in prison, right? I thought last season ended with him sitting in his club watching his daughter die.

Last time we saw him, he was at his friend Oscar's place, sitting in a rocking chair and staring off into space as basically a broken man after his daughter had been killed. Don't get me wrong, I like Michael K. Williams and he's continuously great in this show, but I feel like that would have been a pretty good place to end his character's story. The Chalky in jail and on the run thing isn't really interesting yet. I feel the same way about Gillian Darmody, her character's story felt like it reached its end last season, and keeping her in for this one seems weird.

Also, I feel like if they're going to do flashbacks for the final season, we should get at least one episode that features Rothstein's demise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I was interested in seeing the hosed up state of the mental health system in 1920s America via Gillian, but the timeskip makes it seem like there's little chance of that happening.

It's not quite the '20s, but there's an episode of Carnivale where Brother Justin gets thrown into an asylum.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure I was right about not needing more Gillian for this season, but I suppose we'll see where they take that.

It is my hope that we get at least one scene between Nucky and Van Alden before the season is done.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Van Alden can definitely act like a simpering wimp sometimes, but when he loses his poo poo and just doesn't care anymore, he can be scary as hell. Just look at the scene where he finally stands up to O'Bannion last season, or when he almost shot Capone during the brawl with the strikers. I'm waiting for him to totally snap like that again.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Mickey Doyle still standing.

Doesn't he historically die in 1931, though?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Was the flashback under the boardwalk the first time that there's ever actually been a scene between Nucky and Gillian? Aside from the moment at the beginning of the third season, when they see each other from a distance and look away, I can't think of a single scene between Steve Buscemi and Gretchen Mol.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

mustard_tiger posted:

Didn't the Cuban body guard eat one of the sandwiches? I doubt he would only poison one.

I think the kid handed him a specific sandwich and was gonna carry the other one in for Nucky. That doesn't necessarily mean it was poisoned though.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

MrSlam posted:

While I think Van Alden's death held some meaning, and Chalky's ending said what kind of man he was, I think Mickey's death was as cheap as Sally's. It was cartoonish.

Mickey is pretty cartoonish, though. And he's never been as smart as he pretends to be. He gets by on luck more than anything. He's almost been killed several times over by Nucky, Jimmy, Harrow, etc. I'm surprised he survived as long as he did, but that's basically because the historical figure he's based on survived that long.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I thought that was a fantastic finale. I feel like Gillian messed up Tommy Darmody enough that he wanted her to be wrong about Nucky, but after the way Nucky treated him all season, he decided that she was right and that he should shoot him. Just a thought for everyone saying his motivation made no sense because he was afraid of her. He gave Nucky every chance but in the end Nucky was exactly the man that Gillian had painted him as, the realization of which was a moment that was well complemented by the final flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Also Twin Peaks, sort of.

• Locked thread