Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So any word about whether Dr. Narcisse will pop up this season? I really enjoyed his feud with Chalky last year, and it seemed like they were building up to something with him...

EDIT: Cool. I didn't get a chance to see that special or whatever, unfortunately.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

overtone posted:

Does the ear thing belong to a certain culture at the time? It wasn't clear where the bodyguard was from.

Maybe it's a reference to Reservoir Dogs?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dissing Little Caesar AND The Public Enemy? Those are some uncool movie opinions, Capone. :colbert:

Great episode this week. I'm looking forward to more misadventures with Eli and Van Alden.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Great episode this week, but it boggles my mind to think that we're already halfway through the final season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I know, right? I wish we had four or five more of the show being this good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So what was the deal with the two women from the bar, exactly? Were they just looking to rob Nucky?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 13, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I suspect the episode will end with Nucky alone in a room, sad. "What good is a Boardwalk Empire if I have no one to pass it on to?" :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

After Capone has been arrested: "I guess I'm all through with Breaking Bad".

You see it works as a reference because in that one episode Walt watched the remake of Scarface, and the original Scarface that Howard Hawks made was based on Capone and

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 26, 2014

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zombie Raptor posted:

I spent this week watching the pre-Code gangster films from the era this season is set in (Little Caesar, Scarface, The Public Enemy).

Those are all great, but watch Picture Snatcher at some point if only because it has the most hilarious premise ever. It stars James Cagney, and he plays a gangster who after getting out of prison decides to make an honest living...as essentially a paparazzi for a third rate newspaper. It is the best thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It was a predictable but fitting ending. Still gonna have to digest how I feel about the finale, but overall I did enjoy the final season.

How did everyone feel about the Final Fantasy X shot of Nucky in the ocean at the end?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lister posted:

With Narcisse, I can't help but feel like it was just fan service. He was one of the meanest antagonists the show ever had, so I'd guess they thought "getting rid of him with make people happy."

I guess, but I thought they already gave him the perfect sendoff with S5E6. The last look he gave Chalky was all the show really needed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheRationalRedditor posted:

lmao there was no steady decline after S2, S3 is many people's favorite.

Hell I think S4 is pretty good as well. A lot of people knock the Daughter scenes but I liked those.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

Definitely agree here. They really should have filmed that scene.

Where would it have worked in Season 5 as it is though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Any 'closure'/'gap years coverage' providing movie for Boardwalk Empire should follow the pacing of the series arc over all seasons: A rich well-written period drama that shows different facets of the era's social issues as part of the fabric of Nucky's criminal doings, instant grat/short attention span peasants will pan this portion of the film calling it boring, it will carry on for like an hour and a half before descending into a frenzied final 20mins that are rapid fire flashbacks and 2d4 Beloved Characters getting shot every 5-minutes leading up to the abrupt arrival of the credits.

Afterthought post-credits scene of AR being shot.

Minimal context provided.

:greenangel:

Or instead of getting shot, we see a tornado coming suspiciously close to AR one day. Will it suck him up, punishing him for all his sins as a gangster and gambler? The audience waits in anticipation for the character's fate.

The film then immediately ends.

• Locked thread