Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

threeagainstfour posted:

I thought that was actually the saddest scene of the episode. Eli and Van Alden murdered two dudes for no reason.

Equally hilarious was that pile of money ($20k) that they stole to replace the money lost was going into that pile anyway. They stole from Capone to pay Capone back.

Very cool episode and gently caress the naysayers, I love the flashback scenes. I love them in Boardwalk Empire, I loved them in Sopranos, and I love them in Mad Men. Seeing how these people became what they are is something I at least find very interesting.

Although I definitely feel like we could have probably had another season to space it out a bit as well as fill in some of the gaps. However, I'll take one season too little (as long as they can wrap up the story) than one season too much. HBO is good at this way more than they aren't (looking at you True Blood....) so I'm not too worried.

Someone earlier in the thread had said that there's something about this show that makes them nearly forget all about it until back to watching it. When I'm watching it, I love nearly every moment of it and tell people I know that they'd love it and to check it out. Then until literally a week or two before the season premier, I won't have given it a second's thought. Not sure why that is because I really do love the show. With Mad Men or Breaking Bad, however, even Dexter (sigh), I was counting down the days and timing a rewatch of the whole series (or at least previous season) before starting up the new season. I didn't even bother rewatching the last season Boardwalk before watching last week's premiere. No idea why that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
That's a good point. The show's been good about wrapping up each season tightly.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

comes along bort posted:

What's funny is Ivo Nandi who played Masseria is now a Mexican biker on Sons of Anarchy, and pretty much using the same accent.

i haven't seen the new season yet. any good?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

timp posted:

Is anybody else having trouble with HBOGo? The Adobe plugin keeps crashing even though FireFox says it's up to date. I've even tried redownloading the newest version but still nothing. Even trying with Safari doesn't work. gently caress

Alternately, anybody know of a way I can watch it through HBOGo but without needing Flash?

I pretty much gave up on Firefox about 2 years ago. The constant memory leaks pissed me off. I've been on Chrome ever since and never looked back.

HBOGO working fine for me, but it probably spiked around 9pm when you tried.

Edit:

Ah, a Flash issue. Can't help you there, sorry. :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Considering Lucciano is historically one of the founding members of the national mafia (organized crime, various families, a code of conduct, etc.) I'd say the approach will be very different.

We also know Capone's not far off from getting convicted of tax evasion, so there's that. Then again, he also managed to rule from prison until they moved him to Alcatraz some time later, so... I'd say it'll be fun to watch!

This episode like the first 3 was awesome. And I simply cannot get enough of those flashbacks. The aftermath of Sally's death could be a major distraction for Nucky.

Also loved that not so subtle photo array of young girls on the Commodore's desk before showing Nucky the plans for the future of Atlantic City. I was actually surprise the Commodore didn't retain his services since there's an aggressive amount of work to be done that could use a gopher helping out. Though we know Nucky was Sheriff before his brother, so now we see how.

What a great loving show.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I don't know, that kid was being sort of a dick whereas Nucky is polite to a fault, especially in front of strangers.

Oh my stars, that gif though.
Where do you pick that up?? The kid was lightening the mood because he saw that Nucky was upset. He told a joke and it got Nucky to laugh. Nucky was obviously embarrassed for spontaneously crying at the sight of a loving family who didn't yell/scream/hit each other (I guess mainly a loving father figure to his children in the case of the Sheriff).

Also,

nooneofconsequence posted:

[in response to SoA being any good so far]Hahahahaha.

Yeah, I caught the premier... if the season is basically going to be Jax, the sociopath, whatever. At least it'll go out in a bang and we can place bets on how and who offs him by the series finale and whether Gemma eats it. My guess is the person who offs Jax will be someone "on the inside."

e: spoilered since we aren't in the soa thread

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

I knew exyctly where that scene after Luciano left was going but it was still fantastic. Stephen Graham is so great with the relatively small amount of time he gets on the show. His crew seemed slightly less slapsticky this week but I loved how it took four guys handing that Empire State Building statue off to eachother to get it on Al's desk in the next room.

To feed that psychopath's planet-sized ego, I'm surprised there weren't another 2 to decide exactly which SIDE of the horses or whatever the statue would go on his desk.

It would be interesting to compare fact from fiction from the Boardwalk Empire portrayal of Capone. Didn't see that section on Al's page on the Boardwalk wiki site.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Well yeah, before he was crying. Quoting a poem in a mocking tone while his sister told him to stop doesn't seem like anything Nucky would ever do. I just didn't see any similarities.

So.... I grew up an only child and all, but I think a childhood with playful banter between siblings is quite normal.

Isn't it?

Edit:

Not to mention, Nucky TOTALLY was kinda teasing Margaret when he was courting her and making her blush or uncomfortable. He was also a gentleman. I don't know. I'm not saying he took cues from the Sheriff's son or anything, I just didn't agree with the reason you disagreed. :shrug:

Shadow fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I was really surprised she grabbed at the gun. Is she based on someone that went out that way? It just seemed like the dumbest possible thing she could have done, and she wasn't dumb. My guess is they'd have arrested her, worst case. Unless I read that scene wrong? I mean, the Captain was very upset that they killed an American due to the blowback. They weren't taking bribes nor letting her go on her own, so I just assumed the Army would have gotten a lashing from Nucky's contacts to let her go.

Another thing, I was surprised to see some people saying they didn't like her character. You should try to look at it from the standpoint of Nucky. Was she good for Nucky? Yes. Did he love her? Yes. Was she intellectually his equal with business-sense? Perhaps even more so.

Losing Sally was a big blow. Her character was cool enough, but for Nucky, he lost something huge.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Lugaloco posted:

I don't know jack about Cuba in this time period. With that said, it seemed like she was a dead woman from the moment she started talking, at least to me. I believe the captain said something akin to "Not on the road, you fool!" to the guy that killed her, so she was dead anyway. It may have been due to her resisting and grabbing the gun but something was very off from the start.

"Right out in the open? What kind of idiot are you? She's American."

Just looked it up. Maybe you're right. Tough to say. During this time the Barista was still in power, but the revolutionaries were starting to take rise, of course claiming victory under Fidel Castro in the late 1950s.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

In the time period of the show Cuba is ran by President Gerardo Machado as a dictator, who was fighting against a variety of insurgent groups ranging from radical left groups to conservative veterans. He would be overthrown in a 1933 revolution and Cuba would become temporarily run by a junta of reformers, who were themselves overthrown in the next year by Batista (not Barista lol).

I'm not sure if the murder was based off someone specifically, but anti-American sentiment has always been high in Cuba since the Spanish-American war.

haha... yes, yes, Batista. Was a typo :)

Also, thanks for clarifying. I had completely forgotten about the 33 revolution.

Lord Tywin posted:

I think it seems like one of the Bacardi guys arranged her murder so they could just take Nuckys money and run.
I hadn't thought of this but seems possible. However, the Captain spoke very ill of the Bacardi guy. Something about her hanging out with assholes who pay people slave wages working full days.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
That would be interesting but really depressing. Van Alden is like the personification of tragedy.

VV I loving lol'd so hard at that. Good thing Al did too!

Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 2, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Oh, yeah. Welp no point in watching the rest of the season

That's what you inferred from his post? He's saying that this may be the end of the road for Nucky's ambition and plans. He'll either peace out in a blaze of glory if he tries to reclaim his mobster status, or he'll fade into history as a semi-rich retiree, feeding pigeons and watchin' the pictures.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

raindrop posted:

The problem I am having with this season isn't so much with the pace as it is with the fact that they seem to be trying to wrap up every single thread in the series in a reduced number of episodes. Leaving a few loose ends would not be the end of the world.

While I don't disagree, can you just imagine how many of the whiny loving children out there (and in here) who would lose their shits if anything was left open?

"WORST. FINALE. EVER."

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
The last three posts confused me to death. Is he mistaking Richard Harrow with Eli Thompson?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Corte posted:

That reminded me of AR's insurance policy on Mickey, does Nucky still have that? That season one finale clip made me a bit sad about some of the great characters we've lost throughout. Looking forward to the final two episodes, this show has been too good at surprising me for me to accurately predict what's going to happen.

Sometimes I think about rewatching the entire series before watching the next 2 episodes. How I wish I had the time to do that. It's that or rewatching the series after it ends.

You can't often say this, but this show's final season has been its absolute greatest. I think only Breaking Bad came as close to this as Boardwalk Empire.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
That'd be great if it was Nucky who backed out of the deal instead of Joe Kennedy doing it while flirting with his (estranged) wife in front of him.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Air the what?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

"The Final Shot: A Farewell to Boardwalk Empire" 30 minute making-of that aired last Monday. News to me as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NqtIq3U64

Why can't I be home instead of on-site with clients!?! :negative:

They really need to do a better job marketing this crap. :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I so wish they did even 1 season of Time Jumps to fill in the major gaps from where we left off in season 4. Just 1 :(

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Commissar Of Doom posted:

I just wanna see an episode covering the crime conference in Atlantic City, that's it. Everyone's together and fumbling all over each other.

Yeah, seriously. Even one episode as the season premier where they hit every major plot point that would have bridged the seasons together would have been enough.

Missed opportunities!!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

timp posted:

:ssh: That'll be the focus of the Boardwalk Empire movie!

DONT YOU LIE TO ME

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I'm pretty sure "movie to wrap things up" is the equivalent of telling your kid at a grocery store that you have candy at home that you'll give him.

Shuts him up.

The candy is a lie.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

xcore posted:

Did the Entourage movie ever come out? That was the closest a "movie to wrap things up" ever came to happening (not that anyone actually wanted any more Entourage"

I frankly don't even know why this movie is being made. The show was just a repeated merry-go-around of "Everything Works Out."

Vince has an opportunity.
Vince flounders the opportunity.
Conflicts!
FIRE HIM!
Director left!
WE NEED THAT SCRIPT DANA
Oh look in the 11th hour some better director/script/star has joined.
Vince wins.

Do we REALLY need another 2 hours that depict this? The show was fun, but the last couple of seasons just felt like the same exact poo poo formula like 5 times.

An if it's a self-indulgent "look where they are now," it'll be even worse.

Turtle's married with a kid.
Drama's married or in a serious relationship but it'll be going through some rocky times (oh Drama!)
Eric will be Ari 2.0 and Ari's rival.
Ari will be trying to reclaim some lost glory (don't worry, he and Eric will end up starting a new Agency. It'll be called "Murphy Gold" because Ari's gotten humbler in his older age!)
Vince will be a mess and clean up with some normal non-famous chick and live happily ever after.

I wish they'd just make with the mother loving Deadwood movie. That's at least something that would really make a lot of people happy and be very interesting. Especially after they loving lied about it to shut the fans up.

Edit:

Wait, I know why the movie's being made. It's to give Adrian Grenier something to do. I don't think the guy's done poo poo since Entourage.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 13, 2014

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Is that the hispanic chick he ends up with? Holy poo poo that girl was horrible and treated him like poo poo. It makes sense for the character though. Turtle pretty much gives off the aura of "pushover bitch boy" for a girl looking to take advantage.

And yeah, he is a pretty bad actor. I think Entourage worked because it seems cheap to make and Vince being the worst actor was fine since he's depicted as a self-important drama queen. So his direction was simply, "Adrian... act disinterested and tired."

Adrian: "huh?"
Director: "PERFECT!"

Edit: You gotta wonder if Grenier's main issue with not getting work is due in part to the fact that as "Vincent Chase" he achieved levels of stardom that Adrian Grenier never hoped to achieve and as a result he fooled himself into thinking that he should be the next Iron Man or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Ah, right, when an entire fleet of women treated Turtle like the Bitch Boy he is.

God, and his obsession with "kicks." OMG VINCE THIS GUY IS AN ARTIST SO I NEED HIS $10,000 SNEAKERS OTHERWISE MY LIFE IS RUINED.

They should have killed Turtle.

• Locked thread