Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
The elevator scene with Eli and Van Alden was the best, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Mickey getting uppity.
He better watch his poo poo because he's murdered in 1931.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
It bums me out because this season is loving great so far.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Lonely Commodore in a hotel ruling everything with his sheriff underling who has an incredibly sweet and normal home life with wife and normal children. That's not like something else.
Luckily, Nucky doesn't have a son that will stab him in the back.

(Oh gently caress, Teddy is going to set him on fire, isn't he?)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Jerusalem posted:

That meeting with Torrio did a good job of establishing this I think. Torrio speaks happily of his quiet retirement, of being out of the rat race and no longer having to constantly fear death or maintain his grip on his underlings, and he urges Nucky to do the same thing. But the idea of living a quiet life, feeding pigeons in the park and going to the movies then returning home and having dinner and going to sleep? Bliss for Torrio, death for Nucky - that makes him a nothing and a nobody, unimportant and unnoticed by those who are in power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja3Die31ihk

Different circumstances, but the self-loathing on account of being reduced to an average person is there!

Jerusalem posted:

I think the money is secondary to Nucky, it's the power (and more importantly the prestige) that matters. Remember this is a guy who once could walk into the Democratic National Convention and dictate strategies for who would be the next President... and people would listen. Now he can't even get a single Senator to briefly attend a meeting with the board of a company looking at getting into liquor when prohibition is repealed.
Nucky is a strict Republican :eng101:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
"I, for one, refuse to be ruled by fear."
"Husband!"
"Coming, dear."

Van Alden :allears:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
The actor playing the young Eli nailed Shea Whigham's "It's not like that."

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Doesn't he historically die in 1931, though?
Considering the real Mickey's last name was Duffy (although his original surname actually was Cusick), I'm guessing they gave him the Nucky Thompson/Johnson treatment and he's just based on the actual person. I think he was based in Philadelphia rather than AC, too. Or maybe he's dead regardless.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
He meets with her in the first season while she's getting a tarot reading.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Not Today Satan posted:

Did anyone else notice the heavy camera pans to that sandwich? I know itt there's speculation that the kid is Tommy, but if it isn't then who is he? I'm all out of ideas at this point. Given the amount of time since he left Atlantic City and now, it's completely possible.
Jimmy went to war in 1917 and Angela was already pregnant, yes? So that'd make maybe-Tommy 14 or 15 years old.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
Flashback Nucky's fake teeth are so drat ridiculous.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
Not so subtle with the whole "Salvatore Maranzano fancied himself the mob version of Julius Caesar and gets stabbed to death" thing, too.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Also Meyer saying he wanted Nucky to get on his knees was probably because of this from season 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2J2k88cdG0

I kind of liked how he didn't forget.
Of course not, because he was on his knees facing execution in season one along with the D'Alessio brothers, too.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

ChipNDip posted:

Both of those were based on the real life Sal Maranzano, actually.
I knew he had a boner for ancient Rome and was murdered, but I didn't know the details. The way it was shot seemed reminiscent of Julius Caesar's murder in HBO Rome (or maybe that's because I'm re-watching that right now.)

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

PostNouveau posted:

Nucky becomes a lumberjack
And he's okay.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.
Guys. Guys.

That was the last episode of Boardwalk Empire ever. :smith:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Dangerous Person posted:

He dressed pretty similar to Jimmy too.
He also pulled the "I'm in deep poo poo but I'll make it up to you by working for you" thing that Jimmy did in season one after he and Capone ripped off Rothstein's liquor supply.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

timp posted:

:ssh: That'll be the focus of the Boardwalk Empire movie!
I wish. On the bright side, at least Boardwalk Empire got a final season to wrap things up (although somewhat hastily done at points). The Borgias got cancelled outright and Showtime originally planned a movie to tie up loose ends, but then they axed that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

Shadow posted:

I'm pretty sure "movie to wrap things up" is the equivalent of telling your kid at a grocery store that you have candy at home that you'll give him.

Shuts him up.

The candy is a lie.
I want my goddamn Borgias candy :mad:

(Just don't poison it.)

• Locked thread