Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Samsun Deer Veggie Mandoo. Defrost, pan-fry. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Did anyone say ground endangered tiger yet?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

redshirt posted:

Did anyone say ground endangered tiger yet?

not yet you won, goongrats

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Buy a 6 pack of Ramune and a box of those chocolate filled panda bears. They're good as gently caress imho

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

thegalagakid posted:

Buy a 6 pack of Ramune

Oh hell yes.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Is that the asian supermarket on Lamar?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

drink_bleach posted:

MT Supermarket owns and I really need to go back soonish to get some more fermented black beans, ya cai, and shrooms.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Love going to the chinatown area early in the morning. First I go running at the adjacent park where old chinese people smoke and play card games and majong. Then I get a bahn mi and coffee to chow down on in the parking lot while watching even more old asian guys smoke entire packs of cigarettes over games of mahjong. When you go through the front doors there are a bunch of old arcade machines that little kids are fooling around with and stacks of chinese newspapers that other old chinese people are reading while smoking or taking sips from mysterious canteens. Step inside and the aquarium smells hits. First up I hate the rice/noodle section and grab some rice sticks and a five pound bag of jasmine rice. Then comes the vegetable section which is always full of surprises. Usually I'll grab some kai lan to saute with oyster sauce, some fresh shitake mushrooms, eggplants, and bok choy for steaming. The packages of deep fried tofu are a killer bargain and I'll grab some of the ones that come pre-seasoned with a spice mixture and just stir fry them with the bok choy over rice for dinner some nights.

Then comes the fermented food section. Pixian chili paste is killer stuff and makes good mapo tofu become great mapo tofu so I'll usually get a fresh jar of that along with some standard garlic black bean paste. Some people tell me I should get the whole black beans (which are just fermented soybeans that have taken on a dark color) but I don't think its worth the effort of adding the additional seasonings yourself. Sometimes I'll grab a few packets of the good instant noodles because they make a solid meal if you toss a beaten egg or two into them.

Then frozen dumplings. Kimchi dumplings. Pork and chive dumplings. Shrimp dumplings. Just give me all the loving dumplings.

Finally a packages of oolong tea and a bottle of plum wine then its time to hit the homemade poo poo at the cashiers. They always have freshly made dessert items piled up on plastic tables and its all amazing. Purple rice pudding, sesame dumplings, red bean soup, all kinds of stuff. My favorite is gelatinous disk made of coconut milk, sugar cane juice, and starch. Usually eat it on the ride home.

When I get home its time to watch the Friday animes and drink the entire bottle of plum wine with a plate full of pan fried dumplings.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

how much anime do they have?

also yeah some ground up endangered animal penis or horse sweat or something. buy that

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Do a live blog with photos.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

drink_bleach posted:

yes

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ahh. this thread is reminding me of the unmistakable smell of an asian supermarket

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Kumo go get a sandwich at Baguette House they are the best in town

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Love going to the chinatown area early in the morning. First I go running at the adjacent park where old chinese people smoke and play card games and majong. Then I get a bahn mi and coffee to chow down on in the parking lot while watching even more old asian guys smoke entire packs of cigarettes over games of mahjong. When you go through the front doors there are a bunch of old arcade machines that little kids are fooling around with and stacks of chinese newspapers that other old chinese people are reading while smoking or taking sips from mysterious canteens. Step inside and the aquarium smells hits. First up I hate the rice/noodle section and grab some rice sticks and a five pound bag of jasmine rice. Then comes the vegetable section which is always full of surprises. Usually I'll grab some kai lan to saute with oyster sauce, some fresh shitake mushrooms, eggplants, and bok choy for steaming. The packages of deep fried tofu are a killer bargain and I'll grab some of the ones that come pre-seasoned with a spice mixture and just stir fry them with the bok choy over rice for dinner some nights.

Then comes the fermented food section. Pixian chili paste is killer stuff and makes good mapo tofu become great mapo tofu so I'll usually get a fresh jar of that along with some standard garlic black bean paste. Some people tell me I should get the whole black beans (which are just fermented soybeans that have taken on a dark color) but I don't think its worth the effort of adding the additional seasonings yourself. Sometimes I'll grab a few packets of the good instant noodles because they make a solid meal if you toss a beaten egg or two into them.

Then frozen dumplings. Kimchi dumplings. Pork and chive dumplings. Shrimp dumplings. Just give me all the loving dumplings.

Finally a packages of oolong tea and a bottle of plum wine then its time to hit the homemade poo poo at the cashiers. They always have freshly made dessert items piled up on plastic tables and its all amazing. Purple rice pudding, sesame dumplings, red bean soup, all kinds of stuff. My favorite is gelatinous disk made of coconut milk, sugar cane juice, and starch. Usually eat it on the ride home.

When I get home its time to watch the Friday animes and drink the entire bottle of plum wine with a plate full of pan fried dumplings.

sounds awesome

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

anime is NOT chinese

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
is it like 99 ranch were you can buy a live lobster and they steam it there for you for cheap as gently caress? if so buy that

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

you must be pretty sheltered if the contents of an average Asian supermarket surprise you

i would be surprised if i wasn't surprised at something but maybe i have not devoted enough of my life to the study of international snack foods

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

There used to be the most amazing dim-sum place in that shopping center but then it went out of business. RIP.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Ekster posted:

anime is NOT chinese

repressed offshoots of hegemonic mainland make good soup.

i would offer up a stray cat for some good dim sum.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I was walking by this korean grocery a few weeks ago and was trying to read the sign (korean is a phoenetic alphabet) and I start sounding it out, got halfway through and realize the loving sign said "ASIA MARKET"

I think the owners are trolling.

edit: sign was in korean letters spelling out english words if that wasn't clear

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I was walking by this korean grocery a few weeks ago and was trying to read the sign (korean is a phoenetic alphabet) and I start sounding it out, got halfway through and realize the loving sign said "ASIA MARKET"

I think the owners are trolling.

edit: sign was in korean letters spelling out english words if that wasn't clear

アーウイッナーイッズユゥーです。

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ekster posted:

anime is NOT chinese

it says asian supermarket, not chinese

also
http://gigazine.net/news/20090902_china_5cm/

also manhua is obviously a copy of manga. weird thing though every single manhua i've ever seen from the mainland is romance of the three kingdoms fanfiction. well, maybe not weird at all because asians are loving obsessed with that goddamn book

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

There is a giant world supermarket in Vegas for the locals since there's a huge Asian populace, and they humor the rest of the residents with having weird estonian crackers and Irn-Bru

good supermarket, seventy acres of asian groceries with the giant tanks and everything

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

icantfindaname posted:

it says asian supermarket, not chinese

also
http://gigazine.net/news/20090902_china_5cm/

also manhua is obviously a copy of manga. weird thing though every single manhua i've ever seen from the mainland is romance of the three kingdoms fanfiction. well, maybe not weird at all because asians are loving obsessed with that goddamn book

the "ga" in japanese is preceded by an "n" sound. manga is short for mangazine, animu is short for animus.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
get some amla, op. extreme amounts of antioxidants and c-vitamins await

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
ichigoku is scratching himself uncomfortably. sangoku is confident in his style.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

butplug accident posted:

get some amla, op. extreme amounts of antioxidants and c-vitamins await

antioxidants need good fresh water. dont drink the tap in china.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

drink_bleach posted:

There used to be the most amazing dim-sum place in that shopping center but then it went out of business. RIP.

oh yes i ate there once with friends years ago, it was delicious

apparently chinatown is good and there's one off of greystone near far west and mopac, they have dim sum sat & sun

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Kumo go get a sandwich at Baguette House they are the best in town

i will, and if it is better than tam's i will cry beautiful, terrible tears of rage and sorrow at you

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
btw if you like Korean food there is a place called Mom's Taste on Airport Blvd that sells premade korean dishes in takeout boxes. It has the best dumplings around and they got the really bizarre poo poo like candied squid threads and pickled sea cucumber in chili sauce. I like getting a big box of the beef bulgogi, fish cakes, and a bucket of kimchi. Saute the bulgogi and fish cakes then drop them over steamed rice with some kimchi on the side. Bomb rear end dinner.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Kumo posted:

oh yes i ate there once with friends years ago, it was delicious

apparently chinatown is good and there's one off of greystone near far west and mopac, they have dim sum sat & sun

i will, and if it is better than tam's i will cry beautiful, terrible tears of rage and sorrow at you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5lpNJcgg0

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012
i went to the asian supermarket today inspired by this thread and got some tasty cookies, some tasty plum wine, some tasty as heck chili sauce, and a whole bunch of whole chicken legs at like 99 cents a pound. There was hella fish and lobsters and squid and poo poo and I'm pretty sure they had pig uteruses. asian store is alright by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Plum wine is fuckin' delicious

• Locked thread