Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
hi I'm an upper middle class white lady and I believe the traditional school system has failed my children so I'm going to let them only study what/when they want to learn

*kid doesn't want to learn math*

*kid never learns math*

i am such a good parent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

yuall now wats shi t o learn? englsh., fukin workless.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't understand how it can be legal to homeschool without a teaching permit and a degree.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't understand how it can be legal to homeschool without a teaching permit and a degree.

The 'real' teachers are so bad that parents can't do any worse.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
after pulling him out of the suppressive public school system johnathan has made the informed decision as an enlightened being on this planet to spend the remainder of his 4th grade year playing xbox
hes being himself :)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

agree OP.

My GF doesn't see the big deal with this garbage since math classes apparently traumatized her for life and she get into a tizzy on the subject.

My mom used to fire back at me "well when you're an adult you're going to have to do things you don't want to get used to it." And she was right thanks mom for telling me to suck it up :unsmith:

Future Mrs Booger
Jan 18, 2012
I only school my kids on the b-ball court.

But considering that less that 1% of people actually make it into the NBA, I make sure they are well educated in hope that they achieve whatever other dreams may come to them.

Send your kids to school. Just because they took Christ out of the classroom doesn't mean your kid will be a complete retard when they graduate.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

they won't learn math in a public school anyway so what's the point?

seriously most public schools
in the US are so loving terrible you can't really do much worse.

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.
My middle class white bread public school was so terrible I dropped out at the beginning of junior year to go to community college and despite that all of my former classmates ended up going to the same place after graduating. Except that they didn't place into credited math classes and many had to take 3-4 remedial math classes. I would never have children if I didn't think I could afford private school.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Haters Goin Bake posted:

I only school my kids on the b-ball court.

i unschool my kids on the bball court. they get sick layups on me and dunk on my bitch rear end and i cant even dribble the ball right

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

FreudianSlippers posted:

you don't understand the foundational principles of america mister

(ie fill your kid's head with whatever god given poo poo you drat well deign)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Gin posted:

they won't learn math in a public school anyway so what's the point?

seriously most public schools
in the US are so loving terrible you can't really do much worse.

You have no clue how absolutely stupid American parents are. They can, and will, do a lot worse.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

LethalGeek posted:

agree OP.

My GF doesn't see the big deal with this garbage since math classes apparently traumatized her for life and she get into a tizzy on the subject.

My mom used to fire back at me "well when you're an adult you're going to have to do things you don't want to get used to it." And she was right thanks mom for telling me to suck it up :unsmith:

your mom sucks and traumatized your rear end, it's ok tho with enough therapy you can conquer your abuse and fly free

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sending your kids to public school should be considered child abuse. Those morons graduate thousands of kids every year who can't read, spell, or handle basic arithmetic, and my 2.5 year old can do that already.

They also hold back bright kids and waste a metric poo poo ton of potential.

And the results get worse every year. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/12/03/248329823/u-s-high-school-students-slide-in-math-reading-science

This despite their bloated budgets, over $12,500 per student in 2012-2013, http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66 , with the US also still #1 in spending, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-education-spending-tops-global-list-study-shows/

If you actually give a poo poo about your kids and invest your time and make personal sacrifices to educate them, you'll blow government schools out of the water.

Unschool your kids and see to your responsibilities as a parent. If you can't be bothered to educate your kids don't have any. We don't need any more burger flippers clamoring to be paid $15 an hour to screw up people's orders, robots are going to replace them. We don't need any more special snowflakes dumbed down by public school going on to get "women's studies" MAs and crying about not being able to find a job, we need young people taught by their parents how to make smart decisions in life and be a self-supporting and productive member of society.

This post brought to you by Southern WASP Republican Dad.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Who What Now posted:

You have no clue how absolutely stupid American parents are. They can, and will, do a lot worse.

i'm American so i do know.

there is functionally almost no difference between a stupid American parent and a stupid American teacher, except the teacher probably has more debt from getting their teaching credential

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

there is functionally almost no difference between a stupid American parent and a stupid American teacher, except the teacher probably has more debt from getting their teaching credential

Your parents usually won't try to gently caress you

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

hi I'm an upper middle class white lady and I believe the traditional school system has failed my children so I'm going to let them only study what/when they want to learn

*kid doesn't want to learn math*

*kid never learns math*

i am such a good parent

Vaccines? VACCINES? THEY CAUSE THE AUTISM. JENNY MCCRATNY SAID SO, ALSO REPUBLICANS ARE BETTER. Ok, I'm spent, time to get my hubby to call that nice black guy down the road to get our usual cuck seesion on.

^ Every Southern Women I have ever met.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
my cousin's wife does this. too bad because he's pretty awesome and now his kids are going to be weird

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tuxedo Gin posted:

2 things on that

the advantage of socialization and having kids spend all day with other kids is a value all other things being equal. homeschooled kids are hosed up

most ppl who are homeschooled are homeschooled for religious reasons and are middle to middle-upper class and live in areas that dont have whatever shitass strawman public school you are imagining

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Why is not obligatory to go to school in the US? Even worse, why is home schooling seen as legally valid? :psyduck: You are worse than a third world country.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SevenSixTwoX39 posted:

My middle class white bread public school was so terrible I dropped out at the beginning of junior year to go to community college and despite that all of my former classmates ended up going to the same place after graduating. Except that they didn't place into credited math classes and many had to take 3-4 remedial math classes. I would never have children if I didn't think I could afford private school.

same, american hs is basically keeping you busy until you're old enough to go to college

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Why is not obligatory to go to school in the US? Even worse, why is home schooling seen as legally valid? :psyduck: You are worse than a third world country.

https://www.hslda.org/laws/

In some states you can just say, my kids staying home, give them a diploma when they are 17~18ish. It is kind of funny.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

same.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ColdReaches posted:

https://www.hslda.org/laws/

In some states you can just say, my kids staying home, give them a diploma when they are 17~18ish. It is kind of funny.

so like in new jersey (America's armpit) or texas (America's butthole), kids seriously don't need to attend school? A parent could just let the kid sit around and give their illiterate child a diploma at age 18? gat dayum, son

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

so like in new jersey (America's armpit) or texas (America's butthole), kids seriously don't need to attend school? A parent could just let the kid sit around and give their illiterate child a diploma at age 18? gat dayum, son

Land of the free and that, goes back to local farming laws, still on the books. Long as your kid weeds your lawn they be a farmer.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what don't these euros understand about "america is for freedom"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

the face of unschooling

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

nomadologique posted:

what don't these euros understand about "america is for freedom"

Hey man america isn't

https://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/category/education/page/2/

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

wat the gently caress is human development and wht does it have to do with me?

e: 10th in bullied girls? come on we can do better yall

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

the face of unschooling

Wasn't this the guy that shot up a school or something?

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

dumbass forgot the "N"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Christie posted:

we need young people taught by their parents how to make smart decisions in life and be a self-supporting and productive member of society.

This post brought to you by Southern WASP Republican Dad.

A very cute assumption that Enlightenment free will and progress is an absolute truth

Your crotchspawn are brought into a complex network of conglomerates with a lot of inertia heading toward a very bad end. No man is an island and no amount of education can save you from the impending disaster.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/02/limits-to-growth-was-right-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

"We are on the brink of a disaster and this is the government of political suiciders. So welcome to hell" Arseniy Yatsenyuk

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Desperado Bones posted:

Why exactly do you think it should not be allowed if it will provide a better education??? I can certainly understand forcing someone to send their kid to school if the child tests BELOW their public school peers and is not receiving adequate education. But what about the opposite instances, where forcing a child to spend 8 hours a day in public school would lower the quality of education they are receiving???

I'd hate to live in a country where I was forced at gunpoint to provide inferior education to my child. That sounds more "3rd world" to me.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McDowell posted:

A very cute assumption that Enlightenment free will and progress is an absolute truth

Your crotchspawn are brought into a complex network of conglomerates with a lot of inertia heading toward a very bad end. No man is an island and no amount of education can save you from the impending disaster.

"We are on the brink of a disaster and this is the government of political suiciders. So welcome to hell" Arseniy Yatsenyuk

\

See, this right here folks is what happens when you send your kid to Commie Camp errrr, "Public School"

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Chris Christie posted:

Why exactly do you think it should not be allowed if it will provide a better education??? I can certainly understand forcing someone to send their kid to school if the child tests BELOW their public school peers and is not receiving adequate education. But what about the opposite instances, where forcing a child to spend 8 hours a day in public school would lower the quality of education they are receiving???

I'd hate to live in a country where I was forced at gunpoint to provide inferior education to my child. That sounds more "3rd world" to me.

In new york, kids study to pass a test at the end of the year, in between you watch movies and get homework, sometimes. If the kid doesn't pass the test the school gets a negative rating, when the rating reaches a threshold, they get more money next year. It's like the NFL draft but with schools.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Get rid of truancy and child labor laws, those youngins do a good job digging through the trash heaps for scrap

A young Syrian boy gaining valuable life skills, free from the indoctrination factories of the state:

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 7, 2014

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McDowell posted:

those youngins do a good job digging through the trash heaps for scrap

Literally the only jobs that many victims of government schools are qualified for after 12 years of public "education"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/02/limits-to-growth-was-right-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

throughout the history of the world we have been on the brink of disaster, it is the productive space we live in

• Locked thread