Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Dexo posted:

Hahaha, That guy just loving called in to the mid morning show again.

Any highlights? His call last night was pretty gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Does anyone know what happened to Patrick Mannelly on the Score?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sataere posted:

IIRC he quit hosting that show because he just wants to talk about football and doesn't really care about other sports. I think he's just going to do pregame and other NFL stuff

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

GNU Order posted:

IIRC he quit hosting that show because he just wants to talk about football and doesn't really care about other sports. I think he's just going to do pregame and other NFL stuff

I thought Speags said that he just didn't want to dedicate the amount of time it takes to prep for every show and watch all the games so he can adequately speak to them every day.

Which, good for him, it's not like he needs the job and it also brought Goff back so I love it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sataere posted:

Shath Hole posted:

I thought Speags said that he just didn't want to dedicate the amount of time it takes to prep for every show and watch all the games so he can adequately speak to them every day.

Which, good for him, it's not like he needs the job and it also brought Goff back so I love it.

Yeah, He said he didn't feel like he was bringing anything useful to the non-football conversations.

He's still with the Score, just only going to do football stuff. And he is still doing promotional stuff with the Bears. Like I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in and had him do a Show with Spiegs and Goff on the monday(tuesday/friday) after a game.

Goff is the goods though, I love that mans thoughts on sports. I actually listened to a bunch of his stuff in Atlanta when Laurence would as per usual gets pre-empted for lovely White Sox Baseball.

I can't wait til Terry retires and Laurence or Abbatacola are in that Afternoon show with Dan.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I was just curious, because he didn't seem like he was doing a terrible job. I enjoyed listening to him. Granted, I only really listened to him during football season.

Agreed of Goff. I'm still holding out hope for one day there being a Holmes/Goff show, because that would be incredible.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Sataere posted:

I was just curious, because he didn't seem like he was doing a terrible job. I enjoyed listening to him. Granted, I only really listened to him during football season.

Agreed of Goff. I'm still holding out hope for one day there being a Holmes/Goff show, because that would be incredible.

Maybe we will get lucky and Bernstein will be fired for being an creepy old pervert, Boers will retire and we can get a Goff/Holmes show...or Goff/Abatacolla (sp?).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-former-bear-doug-buffone-found-dead-at-home-20150420-story.html

:smith:

Today loving sucks.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

My mighty heart is broken.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The last bears he has ever seen was the '14 bears :smith:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Agreed :smith:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Not Big Doug, that is horrible :(

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I stepped away from my computer, took me a few to realize that Dan was being somber.

All my favorites keep dying this year :smith:.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bears losses will never be the same. :smith:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

To hell with the sun :(

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That crazy old bastard made losses so much more bearable. He will be missed. :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He's singing kumbaya in heaven now. :(

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

This season was so bad it wasn't even worth getting angry over. This sucks and Bears postgame will probably never be as fun as it was during the end of the Lovie years

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ugh, such a bummer to see this news on an already lovely Monday.

Really hope this wasn't a "self-inflicted gunshot wound" found that the NFL has dealt with lately. Doug and OB helped me wring some amusement from even the most depressing Bears losses.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Electromax posted:

Ugh, such a bummer to see this news on an already lovely Monday.

Really hope this wasn't a "self-inflicted gunshot wound" found that the NFL has dealt with lately. Doug and OB helped me wring some amusement from even the most depressing Bears losses.

Dude was 70, people die at that age without needing guns.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Dude was 70, people die at that age without needing guns.

I know, but he seemed pretty virile at a public appearance recently and the original Trib article had no details beyond "he was found".

CBS is saying unresponsive in bed though, so hopefully he passed dreaming about the golden years.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Electromax posted:

I know, but he seemed pretty virile at a public appearance recently and the original Trib article had no details beyond "he was found".

CBS is saying unresponsive in bed though, so hopefully he passed dreaming about the golden years.

Maybe he got an early glimpse at the new season schedule and figured he'd save himself the headache.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
This is the worst news of the offseason, by far. I will miss their show so much.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Just saw this on Twitter. My first thought was to come here.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

To hell with the sun indeed. The world of charming lunatic sports ranting has lost a legend.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Wasn't Buffone paired with Mike North several years ago?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Retail Slave posted:

Wasn't Buffone paired with Mike North several years ago?

Yes, and like all things North, MacNeil, or Mancow in this city, it was awful.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

RIP Doug, terrible radio show, and the obsession with it.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

beejay posted:

RIP Doug, terrible radio show, and the obsession with it.

omfg..... mods?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

This just in: Cause of death was listed as "Bears."
The Cutler family sends their heartfelt indifference

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 21, 2015

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I have no words. Bears post-games will never be the same. It was crazy listening to Lawrence Holmes last night. Dude was struggling to keep it together.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sataere posted:

I have no words. Bears post-games will never be the same. It was crazy listening to Lawrence Holmes last night. Dude was struggling to keep it together.

Yeah, Laurence, Goff, and Speigs all pretty much started at the Score producing one of his shows.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The last bears he has ever seen was the '14 bears :smith:

No worse hell could await him.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think they were the last 2 Bears fans to support Cutler. It was late into the year and and they were still saying "The defense is terrible! It's not his fault!" The longer it went though, the season destroyed them and they decided the entire team needed to go.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I totally forgot I got to talk to these guys, too. Last season I called in as Ross from San Diego (they called me Russ) and the producer cut me off before I could talk about how I couldn't finish watching the game because my health wouldn't allow it

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

GNU Order posted:

I totally forgot I got to talk to these guys, too. Last season I called in as Ross from San Diego (they called me Russ) and the producer cut me off before I could talk about how I couldn't finish watching the game because my health wouldn't allow it

Luckily I recorded that particular call for posterity.

'Special teams, that's something awful, we all know that.'

RIP Doug.

e: every time I read this thread I think about how Kawalimus' fantastic prank call from after Tebow beat the Steelers was not recorded and I get sad.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

GNU Order posted:

hahaha, I love the something awful plug. Well done :)

• Locked thread