Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg

What is this?
This is a game based on the Korean game show called The Genius Game. It is a game where individuals compete in games which have relatively simple rules but many possible solutions. There is no such thing as the "spirit of the rules" in this game. Anything that is not explicitly denied in either the rules in this post or the rules of that specific match is fair game.

You are meant to try to "break" the game as much as possible in order to win. Creativity will be an asset. However, try not to be a dick. Please remember to treat both the players and the mods with respect. I know we're goons, but let's show some common sense.

Watching the show is not a prerequisite to signing up, but it is highly, highly recommended. You will be at a significant disadvantage if you haven't watched it. Good news is that the entire first season is easily available! The first season is available on youtube. You can also check out the Genius thread in TVIV for more details. I would suggest if you don't watch all of it at least watch the first episode of the first season to get an idea about how you will be expected to play.

How this game works!
Genius Game is split into two phases: Main Match and Death Match. Everyone still in the game participates in the Main Match. These will last several hours and will use both IRC and the thread. Each match has different win conditions. The winner(s) of the main match will receive immunity from the death match. If there is only one winner they will be able to assign a secondary immunity to another player. The loser of the Main Match will go to the Death Match. There they will be able to select one player who does not have immunity to compete against them in a 1v1 elimination challenge. The loser of said match will be eliminated from the game. The winner of the Death Match gets all of the loser's garnets added to their total.

Garnets?
There will be a cash prize for the winner of the season. This will be determined by the total number of garnets in the game. Each Main Match will give an opportunity to win garnets. However, there will also be chances to spend garnets for advantages in the Main Match, which will be given as details in the rules for that specific match.

Garnets will be cashed out at the end of the game at a rate of $1 per garnet. So if the final garnet count is 75 then the total prize will be $75.

Garnets can be traded/loaned/gifted/sold/etc to any other player in the game. To do this you must inform me (Asiina) via IRC or the thread that you are giving a certain amount of garnets to another player. This can only be done during the active match time. Mods are not responsible for holding anyone to any promise you have made to each other. Once you have given up your garnets they belong to the other player. Whether they choose to honour whatever arrangement you had is up to them.

Garnet totals will be announced at the start of the Main Match and before the players are chosen for the Death Match.

Communication
This is probably the biggest departure from the Survivor games, so read this carefully. Unlike Survivor, there will be NO COMMUNICATION outside of both the designated areas and the designated times of the game. This game will take place over two mediums: IRC and forum thread.

There will be 4 IRC rooms for this game. Think of these as the side rooms from the show. You are only permitted to be in one room at a time and once you leave a room you cannot return to it for at least 3 minutes. These rooms are designed to offer some degree of private conversation, as nobody can see what was said before they entered the room, while still limiting the number of people you could realistically talk to.

The forum thread will act as the main room. It is where results of games will be posted and where you will often be expected to declare your actions for a particular game. The role of each room and the thread will be detailed for each game.

The thread will be CLOSED shortly after each match has concluded and opened again roughly 1 hour before the following match. Alliances are not strictly forbidden, but they must be created or maintained only during this time. In addition, allying with the same person from match to match may not be in your best interest due to the nature of the game.

Ties
Ties are bad. We want a winner and a loser for every game. Do NOT try to engineer a tie.

The games have been created in order to limit the possibility of a tie occurring, however ties are still possible for some games. Each game will have one predetermined contingency to resolve a tie situation. This will not be given in advance so that players do not try to abuse it. If the contingency is applied and a tie still remains then the result will be determined via the score on an annoying flash game. We have a lot of flash games prepared, but nobody wants to QWOP for their life. Try your best to limit creating a tie.

Additional Rules:
The following rules all apply to the game. However, just to make sure that the game isn't thrown into disarray, signing up for this game, you are effectively :toxx:ing yourself for any rule with a :siren: in it. Violating these big-time rules will result in a 100,000 hour probation. It's not that hard to not cheat.

• There will be 12 players. Every player is playing an individual game trying to get to the end. There will be only one winner.

• You are playing for a grand prize! :siren:Sharing of this prize/Conspiracy of sharing/splitting/buying another player something with it is strictly forbidden.:siren:

• This game is split into two different challenges: Main Match and Death Match. Main Matches will occur on Mondays and Thursdays, and will involve all current players. Death Matches will occur on Tuesdays and Fridays, and will usually involve only the two people up for elimination. Occassionally others may be asked to participate in the Death Match, but this will be optional and will be told in advance. Both Main Matches and Death Matches will occur between the hours of 7-10PM EST. It is very likely they will take up the entirety of this time. Do not sign up if scheduling will be an issue.

• The games will be played using a combination of forum thread and IRC. Occassionally flash will be required. Trying to play by phone is very much not recommended.

• Private Messages aren't required, but they're strongly the preferred form of contact, and if we go over the amount of registered players, those with PMs on will have priority over those who don't and do not give alternative contact information. IRC is absolutely required. You can use the web client mibbit, but I would recommend downloading a real IRC client.

• :siren:There is to be NO COMMUNICATION with anyone outside of the designated IRC rooms and the thread when they are open.:siren:

• :siren:IF YOU ARE ELIMINATED, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COMMUNICATE WITH ANYBODY STILL ACTIVE IN THE GAME..:siren: The same goes for people still in the game contacting people who were voted out. Spectator posts are permissible by people not participating in the game, as long as it is not done in a way to assist or harm any active player. Conversely, if you are a still active player in the game, and a prior voted out player is contacting you, please let us know!

• :siren:You are not permitted to speak with any potential players about the game before it begins.:siren: This is mostly to effectively discourage pre-game alliances, and any long-term tainting of the game itself. Please play with SOME semblance of honor to keep things somewhat fair.

• When eliminated, you are allowed to make only one post as a goodbye message, with a maximum of 100 words. No workarounds/linking to a bigger message or anything cute like that.

• NO EDITING YOUR POSTS EVER!!!! Evidence of editing can result in punishment ranging from a challenge penalty to a forced removal from the game depending on the severity and frequency. Ninja edits may be ignored but abuse will be punished.

• Do not post/send chatlogs in this thread/via PM/via IRC/note inside a bottle drifted through the ocean/etc. Please do not be a shitbag!!!!!

• Your co-moderators are Dr. Hurt and Rarity if I am ever indisposed and a decision needs to be made.

RULES FOR THE VIEWER'S VISTA

There will be a special Viewer's Only google doc, where non-players can see some content unavailable in the thread or to the actual players of the game, ranging from chatlogs to advance knowledge on upcoming twists and turns, along with some other perks. However, we want to keep things clean and fun and enjoyable for everyone, so before you enter the the Viewer's page, there are some rules that apply before entering.

• What goes on in the Vista, stays in the Vista. This is by far the most important rule of the viewer's vista. Anything that is posted in there, cannot be posted in the thread or leaked to players. Viewer's commentary is mildly allowed in the thread, but we strongly prefer to keep it in the vista.

• You are not allowed to communicate with the players of the game. Unless they are eliminated, you cannot communicate with any player of the game as long as it is going on. This is to keep things fair without tainting the natural flow of the game. Eliminated players are welcome to join the vista.

• If you want access to the Viewer's Vista please PM one of the mods. Once you gain access to the vista you are no longer eligible to be a player.

There are 12 spots. However, even if you have pre-signed up please read ALL of the rules (especially about scheduling and format) before you confirm you actually want to play. I am being very inflexible about time changes, so be sure you can actually participate.

If you want to sign up please fill out the following totally serious questions. You may also post in the thread but only answering these important questions will put you in the pool to play. Signups are not first come first serve but rather will be chosen out of the pool of people who sign up. I expect there to be a lot of interest so sorry if you don't get picked to play this go around.

Application Form

Asiina fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Hello geniuses of the Something Awful forums. We here in the Korean branch of Something Awful have heard great tales of internet idiots yelling at each other for money or even sometimes for free! Join this game and prove how smart you are! You can shut down all internet arguments by telling them that they are arguing against a certified "Awful Genius!"

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I will be following with interest, but probably not sign up at this stage. Good luck!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wow this looks cool but I just wasted two months of my life on a forum game...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Welcome, all you sunbaes and hyungs! I am excited to help bring this thread to Something Awful, where the best and brightest will compete in mental cage fights for the voyeuristic pleasure of the masses honour of being declared the Awful Genius! But seriously, the Genius is such a fun game to play and I wish I could be a contestant myself. If you like logic problems, game theory, social manipulation or being intellectually superior then this is the game for you! Asiina's lined up a great bunch of contests for you and you owe it to yourself to take part!

This is, of course, after joining me in protest at the exclusion of Tactical Yutnori :colbert:

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

MildManeredManikin posted:

Well this one will not be as socially intense as Survivor. You'll only need to be free four nights a week to do the challenges, and that's only if you are doing multiple Death Matches. So really 2 nights a week minimum, four nights max.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sure I'll do it. I can't play Starcraft but I can do actual crafts so maybe that will come in handy?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I would love to, obviously. We might need to have a chat about commitments and scheduling. If my place goes up to somebody else in the end, so be it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Sure I'll do it. I can't play Starcraft but I can do actual crafts so maybe that will come in handy?

It will totally help with the Knitting Game. Just don't forget to actually sign up via the form.

busb posted:

I will be following with interest, but probably not sign up at this stage. Good luck!

MildManeredManikin posted:

That's fine. Let me know if you want a link to the vista.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It is good that you run games, not like Hal. Sign me up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:siren: People signing up in the thread, please remember to fill in the form as well :siren:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
What is this? A challenger appears?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

I hear... you need geniuses?
*flips hair*

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rarity posted:

:siren: People signing up in the thread, please remember to fill in the form as well :siren:

Those of us who don't read rules thank you

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Me please. I'll fill in the form tomorrow.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dr. Hurt posted:

Well this one will not be as socially intense as Survivor. You'll only need to be free four nights a week to do the challenges, and that's only if you are doing multiple Death Matches. So really 2 nights a week minimum, four nights max.
Plus, what with the no talking to people between matches, you should be able to leave the game behind when you're not playing, instead of having to be always "on."

Just signed up, see you guys there. :cool:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not playing but I would like access to the Viewer's Vista please.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Jon Joe posted:

Not playing but I would like access to the Viewer's Vista please.

I was hoping you'd join in, so I could post this if/when you went home. I'll just post it now, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsxXvKnuZ7s

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Filled in.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

I was hoping you'd join in, so I could post this if/when you went home. I'll just post it now, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsxXvKnuZ7s

heh, that's pretty good

A) No way I'd survive this, given my record at Survivor
B) I'm going to have much more fun watching

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Signed up.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Im going to win

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

Im going to win

5 billion monopoly dollars on derp

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I lied I just filled out the application.

If I don't win I blame Obama.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Magnus Gallant posted:

I lied I just filled out the application.

If I don't win I blame Obama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkQxHlr2fXM

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Asiina posted:

Violating these big-time rules will result[b] in a 100,000 hour probation.

Ohohoho, this is gonna be good.

PM incoming requesting viewing visa

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Submitted an application. Looking forward to this.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
It's time for my entrance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIuy-ALo4bg
Game is over folks I have won this already.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just signed up, but I need to know some things for scheduling that may actually eliminate me in advance.

Are there expected to be 12 "episodes" like on the show where an episode consists of a Monday/Tuesday and then a Thursday/Friday? That would mean the competition runs for only 6 weeks. If so, what Monday/Thursday does it start? I worry because I am leaving for a vacation the last week in October so if it doesn't begin a week from tomorrow by the latest and there are ever scheduling issues I would not be available for the finale.

I didn't see a start date in the OP but I also have never participated in a goon event so I don't know if the typical start is "as soon as we have enough people" or if it is usually a date chosen in advance. Regardless, if it starts in the next week or so I would love to participate. If not, then please disregard my application and put me in the Viewer's Vista.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Well I might just have to get PMs just for this.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Asiina posted:

That's fine. Let me know if you want a link to the vista.

Sure PM me it when its up.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Cancel my signup, I can't make monday nights, if it were PST I would be fine, but I'm doing a thing on monday and wednesday at that time.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Sorry Bread. Would you like a Vista link instead?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Submitted a form. I'm super looking forward to this :D

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Would have been right on this if the death matches weren't scheduled while I'm at work. I'll definitely be watching though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I am soooo going to be the first one eliminated, but it will be fun! :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Those of us who don't read rules thank you

Yeah, please read the rules guys. ESPECIALLY the ones about scheduling. I am not going to be at all flexible towards the schedule so if you cannot be around a computer from 7-10pm EST on Monday, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays then sorry but you won't be able to play.

It's the only way I can accommodate the fact that some of these games are going to take a while.

Superrodan posted:

I just signed up, but I need to know some things for scheduling that may actually eliminate me in advance.

Are there expected to be 12 "episodes" like on the show where an episode consists of a Monday/Tuesday and then a Thursday/Friday? That would mean the competition runs for only 6 weeks. If so, what Monday/Thursday does it start? I worry because I am leaving for a vacation the last week in October so if it doesn't begin a week from tomorrow by the latest and there are ever scheduling issues I would not be available for the finale.

I didn't see a start date in the OP but I also have never participated in a goon event so I don't know if the typical start is "as soon as we have enough people" or if it is usually a date chosen in advance. Regardless, if it starts in the next week or so I would love to participate. If not, then please disregard my application and put me in the Viewer's Vista.

Yeah, each Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday will be an "episode" so it should last about 6 weeks. I am planning on having the first episode up on Thursday since we already have quite a few signups!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I should be able to be here for all of the games, but might be confined to an ipad for some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I should be able to be here for all of the games, but might be confined to an ipad for some of them.

Can you do IRC channels on an ipad?

• Locked thread