Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Go Johnson and/or Newman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
What if at Homestead the final 4 are unable to start the race

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LASTCAR posted:

I was wondering about that too. Championship leaders Bobby Allison (1983), Dale Earnhardt (1993), and Jeff Gordon (1995) prepared for that by having their backup cars entered into the season finale with Jimmy Insolo, Neil Bonnett, and Jeff Purvis driving, respectively. This way, if the title contender's car didn't start, they could jump into the backup.

I wrote an opinion piece predicting the Final Four would do this at Homestead - and maybe other Chase drivers would use them to manipulate the points system in the other nine races. With so many technical alliances with small teams today, I wouldn't rule it out.

I'm less wondering about the cars and more of a 'oh don't worry they're be a little bit late, Jack Roush is flying them in' scenario

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
What if we make all the races double points!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
"Es loco, primo"
*waves towel violently while peeling out through a cock fight*

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Im cheering for either a Johnson 10-race sweep or a thrilling final race showdown between Biffle and Newman

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Harry Gant owns

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
lol youre literally gushing over a series that doesnt exist

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
oh man early trucks at literally any track with asphalt and fences owned. RON HORNADAY RESTART WIZARD

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Some guy walking away with a 20 second lead and barely 10 cars on the lead lap before halfway doesn't mean its a lovely race. It just means 1 team had it together and the rest didn't. A lovely race is 43 cars virtually unable to pass one another outside of major tire life differences because as soon as they get within half a second the front end washes out and then you get Jimmiebot cruising to a THRILLING 1.5 second win

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm not clamoring to bring back the Dover 500 milers, because those were insane. I absolutely hate the idea that just bringing the cars closer together is what makes good racing, though. Yes, the gaps were bigger back then, because the performance differentials between cars was greater, but that also meant you could also reel in a 10 second gap on track back then because of those performance differentials.

You also seemed to have more variations in performance during long green runs, and that's what made it bearable. Maybe tires degraded more back then, maybe the cars reacted more to changing conditions, or maybe it was just a result of them being more different in general. What it meant, though, was that long green flag runs were not only bearable, but actually desirable, because it made the race seem like a coherent narrative. Gordon pulls out a 10 second lead in the first stint, Martin improves his car, reels him in and takes the lead in the second stint, etc. I'm not joking when I say that NASCAR (especially on the intermediate ovals) was almost like endurance racing. These days, if a race has a long green stint, you can almost guarantee that nothing interesting happened, other than a bunch of cars running in line a few seconds apart. The races don't have any storyline other than "everyone can only pass in maybe the first three or four laps after a restart, some stupid poo poo happens in a GWC, end". There's no opportunity for storylines to develop through the race, and without those storylines, there's no reason to watch anything except the end.

2000 Rockingham spring was a great example of this. Labonte shot out to a huge lead only for Earnhardt to pull him back in by the end of the tire run. But hey, the cars are close now so its much better!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
NASCAR literally wants every non-short/road course to be Daytona/Talladega

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Popping hot for meth or pre-race breathalyzers would be the death of American short track racing

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

bigbillystyle posted:

Does it really beg that question? I'd like to fit him and DW in a box and ship it out to sea but won't FOX just do that lame roving reporter thing again with Hammond?

pretty certain we can get a big enough box for Hammond, DW and McReynolds

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
IRL at Dover owned

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
he looks so confused i just want to pat his head

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jimmie will fail again next week and in the final two laps at talladega, vault like 10 spots to win and drop Junior from the bubble to eliminated.

insha'allah

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You know who else liked to win the Daytona 500 and fail to qualify?

Derrike Cope.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

they shouldnt penalize him because that was actually entertaining

i mean yeah someone will die eventually but eh?????

That would be an amazing ratings boost and great lead in to the next round of the playoffs!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

Jr is such a likable dude. Wanna hate him cause of his popularity and all that but I just cant. Jr owns.

his penance was having Eury Jr as crew chief

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BMB5150 posted:

That's 1996. When I first watched it before posting on YouTube I was like what the gently caress is Hut Stricklin doing up in front. Now I'll remember that forever.

That race was so amazing. Hut also had a good run in the 1997 Atlanta spring race but lost a motor. Morgan Shepard finished 3rd, led 10 laps and was the only car that really had anything for the Yates duo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The Texaco/Havoline 'Battlestar' paint scheme is probably my favorite of all time

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the only entertainment left in NASCAR is the slow, inevitable decline into national irrelevance and the lengths people will go to try and stop it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
just a reminder that Ryan Newman somehow won the ROTY award over Jimmie Johnson

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR Championship in the parking lot of Cowboys Stadium.

1.5 mile d-shaped flat oval hell yeah

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
hey in case yall werent aware twitter is retarded

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
They have until the next TV contracts are up for negotiation to either right the ship or magic another sweetheart deal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

CityLab has a funny piece on the NASCAR hall of fame, which is always good for a laugh.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/01/investing-in-nascar-what-could-go-wrong/384363/

For reference, the baseball hall of fame gets less than 260,000, the NFL's hall gets less than 200k, and the IMS museum thats at the track gets about 200k (with most of that in may, obviously).

Sports related investments are almost universally a losing proposition

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The greatest thing Gordon ever did was give us Jimmie Johnson.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
bring back T-Rex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I have a feeling it's based on older times when it was less common for rookies to run full schedules.

Or even qualify, since it wasn't until recently that rookies got dropped into top tier equipment

• Locked thread