Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I would love to see Kurt Busch, who was 21st in points, barely squeak into each elimination and then finish best at Homestead to win the whole thing. Just for maximum breaking of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

If someone wins in one of these races, they automatically advance to the next round right? Do they get any bonus points for that round for winning?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

You know that it's going to play out perfectly for NASCAR, they're gonna get all the manufactured drama they want and have that wonderful Game 7. This will justify the Chase further and keep it alive for another ten years while it continues to be hot trash.

I'll give that it's going to make things more interesting, but that doesn't mean good, and all the extra unnecessary complexity and opportunity for someone like Gordon or Earnhardt to be eliminated well before the last race (1 bad race could very well screw you completely in a round) is just going to run more fans out.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think a really good points system would be if you get an amount of points in a race for finishing well and then the guy with the most points is the champion

But what about an emphasis on winning? It's not like we can just add on 10 extra points for the winner for what we have now.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

I took the My Chase Nation quiz and got Greg Biffle. My immediate response was "Greg Biffle is in the Chase?"

I got I'm a Rolex. My reaction was the same. Which race did he win?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixSOrd6a50

I love Geoff Bodine, he pretty much is telling her she's full of poo poo trying to stir up drama.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just looking through the 90s points standings. 90, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, all determined by less than 100 points. Old points system was 175 points for a win, +5 for leading, +5 for leading most, 43rd got 34 points, so you could in theory gain up to 151 points on someone in a race. This was long before the bullshit chase system we have today that started in 2004.

Over a 30 race season, it still more than half the time was coming down to the final race, or worst case in all but 1 season, the final 2 races. Before this year, even cutting time you have to get championship points down to 1/3rd, the seasons have still been all but determined before the last race at least half the time. This year, it definitely will come down to last race, but for the most asinine reasons. I hope Brad wins the next 8 races and then crashes lap 1 in Homestead.

Waltzing Along posted:

How did they cheat?

E: next time I see my dad, I'm going to borrow the Nascar book I bought him. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1412797845/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seemed like a good book. Lot of information. Should be some good potty reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIPj7a0YyLU
Look at those cars at just after 1:00 in and how sideways they are driving in a straight line. That's not how the cars were designed.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 19, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Not sure what I was seeing that was cheating?

Look at the wall, and the side of the car, and the angle. This is going straight down the backstretch. Hendrick managed to make the COT basically drive sideways so they got a lot more downforce on the rear spoiler and more rear grip/power. TV camera angles really don't do proper justice to just how seriously kicked out the rear was on their cars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

I missed this entirely. Why would you caution a blown up car at the end of pit road, you need at least four cars piled up before you need a caution. Waving that flag isn't cheap. Also lol that it was the Save the US Constitution car. Every ARCA race someone doesn't die is a miracle from God.
Have you seen the ARCA at Pocono crash yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5VC1KoDpyM

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR doesn't want the cars to go too fast so it's either that or plates, make a choice.

So, less horsepower at plate tracks then (and Michigan and California before someone gets killed). It's not like they don't already have a massive deviation from the normal package at the plate tracks.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Double-posting to put the word out that the grand jury opinion on the Smoke/Ward case will be announced at 3:00PM Eastern.

That seems really fast for a grand jury? Usually means they're just going to dump it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

Do you know if he even injured anything apart from his footwear? It looks like he just screws up a triple toe-loop then hobbles on his merry way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe7avYdW9DE

Says he didn't get hurt :banjo:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

We've OD'd on drug jokes, here.

We must abolish this Ward on drugs.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Harveygod posted:

That was a good read. Thanks for posting.

Just after reading it, I happened upon this, which seems like either a response to OrangeCone or is what precipitated OrangeCone's letter. It was not a good read. It's Ward's aunt spewing a bunch of nonsense about Stewart not being held accountable and how hitting Ward shouldn't have made Stewart's car change direction, etc.

Orange Cone response was an hour after the Aunt's post. Someone get some grief counselors to that family, that transcription was downright hysterical sounding, it's been two months, and if there was any case to be made at all, the Grand Jury would have taken longer than an hour to come to a determination.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

For new people: Back like 15 years ago Dale Jarrett drove the UPS car and there was a series of commercials where people begged him to "Race the Truck" aka the UPS delivery van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjb7W4QTMo

Those were the best commercials. Also, we didn't have dick pills every other ad.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I just found bein old.

Jeff Gordon has more years in Cup than any other driver that is still racing full time (22 years). By a full 6 years over 2nd place...Tony Stewart (16 years), trailed closely by Jr. and Kenseth (15).

Edit: Also, someone must go do the needful on this page under truck series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NASCAR_drivers

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 7, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

That is the logo for the NASCAR Xfinity Series, or INXS.

As in, NASCAR themselves revealed this exact image? Because looking at it in thumbnail form, all three elements legitimately look like they were pulled from different static images and then pasted into paint.

vvv-Touche, good sir.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 7, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Gotta hammer in the point of how far NOT #1 you are

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Given the gravity of the placement of this plate race, it'll be a complete parade until the last 10 laps. Then it becomes a crapshoot whether they keep like that to the finish or if the guys that need to make up spots actually do something.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

I think Rusty hit 220 at a plate-less test once.

He hit 228, averaged 216, and that was a decade ago nearly to the day. Note that speed is without draft which would add 10-20 mph.

Those vids Pnut posted are 50 mph slower than that. You're seriously chancing cars actually penetrating the fence entirely at those speeds.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I was just curious who's won at Homestead the last 10 years

http://racing-reference.info/tracks/Homestead-Miami_Speedway

:gonk:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Okay, now you two are just loving with us.

e: Also, that file is too big

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 22, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

The 41 and 10 are swapping pit crews for some reason.

Punishment for not doing a good enough job for Busch?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah, a clear visual indication of the Chase drivers is lame (???)

Lame that he didn't figure it out until just now perhaps?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Who was it that caused a wreck pulling out of pit road and straight onto the track at Talladega?

Found this while looking for it. I don't even remember that (@3:32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmh4onojASw

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

The only guy I can think of to give that a run for terrible is Steve Wallace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Npb4W00QE4

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

She's a fairly decent driver. Just not a great racer.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Smoke just broke a 200 mph lap at Texas :stare:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Kes would have been an alright winner, he causes chaos regardless.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

shyduck posted:

Ryan Newman is going to win the the Cup and it's going to be hilarious

If you aren't cheering for Newman or Kenseth for winless champion just to poo poo all over NASCAR, get out :colbert:

Yeah, they'd both suck as champion, but NASCAR needs some serious piss in their Cheerios.

Cubey posted:

NASCAR also deserves blame because I guarantee Kes doesn't do that if not for the fact that winning guarantees you advance to the next round. Then again I'm not sure 'blame' would be the right word because this is exactly what NASCAR wants from this system.

Things this chase is good for: Aggressive on track moves, giving winning a bit more meaning, off track brawls
Things it is not good for: Deciding who was the best driver for the season.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

leica posted:

No WWE references yet? I'm ashamed of you guys.

Did you miss the IRC?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

You can tell when Gordon is extremely pissed, he actually took his helmet off.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Alain Post posted:

ahh, gently caress yourself.

i mean, I get it, I'm negative in here. but I really do love stock car racing, and that's why it kills me to see it done so badly. I like a lot of posters in here, and I really wish something could make me be positive about the product, but that hasn't happened for years, and nothing shows that they have any intention of improving.

They made the cars look a bit better, and made a step to remove a little aero dependancy. Also, the tires got softened up a bit and can't be used the entire race anymore. They can and do make steps to improve.

Then they immediately add more aero in, make a bad system worse, and take a leap backwards.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

If Denny wins, use that money to put a giant SASCAR sticker on SRA's truck on the tailgate at some race.

This is a bad idea. Remember last time we put a SASCAR sticker in his car they kept the camera off it the entire rest of the race.

(Also I can't find that picture anymore, what happened to the wiki?)

vvv-Thanks!

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 14, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

keevo posted:

How much would it cost to put :stonk: on the hood of SRA's truck?

I did a (terrible) paintjob on a truck in iRacing similar to that.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Heathen posted:

Way to go Harvick. Now we're stuck with this poo poo.

Happy for Harvick, but he was not even close to being the best driver all year, system proves itself total BS to absolutely no one's surprise. So close to the most perfect result to get rid of the drat thing.

In a better world, congratulations Gordon on your record tying 7th Cup Championship :smith:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Except Dave Moody agrees 100% with NASCAR 100% of the time he's aware of their stance, and will retcon if he inadvertently deviates.

Also, the guy writes in the most punchable way possible

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 18, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Moody posted:

(If anyone wants to buy me a NASCAR themed avatar as a fantasy prize since I've been registered for 9 years and never got round to it, feel free...)

This is usually a dangerous request.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Moody posted:

I'm more concerned you found actual pictures of me based on a single forums username...

...it's all good though. Definitely worth keeping for the offseason.

I initially though about grabbing some image of Dave Moody, since those are unanimously hideous, but that would have been far too cruel and wouldn't be recognized outside this thread anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Blanket thread rule: no one has or will ever give a gently caress about what you tweeted to a driver or what they tweeted back. This goes for everyone

I completely back Mr. France's decision, we need to monitor our folks so they aren't engaging in activities we don't approve of.

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: Insult redacted.

FuzzySkinner has been fined $25,000, 25 Posts, and put on probation for the next 4 pages under 12-4-A: Actions detrimental to Stock Car posting.

• Locked thread