Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Super Bowl actually owned a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really hope some dumb poo poo happens to the good drivers and NASCAR ends up with a thrilling battle between Biffle, Newman, Hamlin, and Kurt for all the marbles.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kurt has had a poor year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Because he has like five top-10s this year?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"I'm glad that Ray Rice did that thing. I saw the video and I thought it was cool." - Kurt Busch, today.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harveygod posted:

The elimination system actually makes "one bad race" much worse than it would have been before, which is still worse than in the pre-chase era.

ex-loving-actly, and as the penalty for having individual bad races gets worse and worse, guess what, the incentive to race conservatively keeps increasing. Nobody is thinking this poo poo through.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, it's a bad system, but "title goes to whoever has the most wins" is unironically a better system than any of the Chase systems that have been attempted so far.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There should not be a Chase.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm just going by history.

Talladega is indeed one of the "Grand Slam" races, and I think winning that race is kind of "meaningful"

Indy? They can bid on the title race. (They likely have a good shot at it).

Which Talladega race is important? (Following question: If nobody knows which Talladega race is important, isn't that evidence that neither Talladega race is important?)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
NASCAR is dogshit and should be shut down forever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Brett Bodine?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, that'll clear the way for the likable NASCAR teams, such as

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tony did nothing wrong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember that Earnhardt's fans resented that race to the point where they were gleefully bringing it up as "karma" when the whole meth thing broke.

Dale Earnhardt fans were mentally ill.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have to imagine that aero becoming a big deal in the 90s made developing a shitload of different body styles too expensive for GM, but I don't actually know the real story. May have just been a marketing thing too- Buick wasn't exactly a "sporty" car brand by 1992.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sonoma '93 is so good, it's the best NASCAR road race ever IMO. (Watkins Glen '88 is also good, if you can find that)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The fact that everyone is close because all the cars post-COT are basically the same is a problem. 1997 was all Gordon/Jarrett/Martin, and it was one of the best years I've ever seen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's my favorite argument, "you can't say races have gotten worse on average because some races in the past were actually bad"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bristol was always extremely difficult to pass on, it's just that you can actually move someone up the track to pass if it's a low-lane track, but you're much more limited in your options if it's a high-line track.

Also, the cars are much worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The top-35 rule wasn't really that bad. It was a replacement for the old provisional system, which, if anything, was much more complicated and weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

well it's a different time

my point is mainly that the bad races back then were BAD

e- I think this weekend I'm gonna find the most boring race from back in the mid 90's and we're all gonna watch it on cytube to gain perspective

It's Spring Michigan '99.

Occasional terrible races aren't a problem any more than the occasional football game being a 41-3 route is. The races being homogeneously bad is a problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not clamoring to bring back the Dover 500 milers, because those were insane. I absolutely hate the idea that just bringing the cars closer together is what makes good racing, though. Yes, the gaps were bigger back then, because the performance differentials between cars was greater, but that also meant you could also reel in a 10 second gap on track back then because of those performance differentials.

You also seemed to have more variations in performance during long green runs, and that's what made it bearable. Maybe tires degraded more back then, maybe the cars reacted more to changing conditions, or maybe it was just a result of them being more different in general. What it meant, though, was that long green flag runs were not only bearable, but actually desirable, because it made the race seem like a coherent narrative. Gordon pulls out a 10 second lead in the first stint, Martin improves his car, reels him in and takes the lead in the second stint, etc. I'm not joking when I say that NASCAR (especially on the intermediate ovals) was almost like endurance racing. These days, if a race has a long green stint, you can almost guarantee that nothing interesting happened, other than a bunch of cars running in line a few seconds apart. The races don't have any storyline other than "everyone can only pass in maybe the first three or four laps after a restart, some stupid poo poo happens in a GWC, end". There's no opportunity for storylines to develop through the race, and without those storylines, there's no reason to watch anything except the end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

Why did Gordon curb stomp everyone?

Best crew, car, tech before those things got equalized?

From watching him it seems that he is just solid and steady so I can see how balancing everyone would bring the pack up to where he is.

Because he was insanely good, and his crew chief was insanely good (at cheating, but so were Roush/Yates). If you want to see exactly how good, look at the 1997 standings, and see how well the other Chevrolet drivers did.

http://www.racing-reference.info/yeardet/1997/W

(Chevrolet won 11 races that year. Gordon won 10, and Terry Labonte won 1.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It was such a loving piece of poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think ARCA once had a race at the old Atlanta that ended with like four gigantic accidents and someone's arm getting ripped off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate Dylan Kwasniewski and Chase Elliott, in fairness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

L_Harrison posted:

Hey look, the rule changes are out, and NASCAR made awful decisions again (tapered spacer lol).

Lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mmm tapered spacers. Ready for another season of unwatchably poor racing. *Fag Boy Jim fistpumps

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think NASCAR is secretly really jealous of the mid-2000s IRL package or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always thought the implementation of tapered spacers were a big part of why Busch/Nationwide's racing quality went off a cliff in the late 00s (the death of like, every respectable stalwart Busch team, which killed the field quality didn't help either)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

You mean the one Jeff Burton won flag-to-flag? Then yes.

They won't. NASCAR hadn't implemented the policy of every race ending in a string of double file restarts back then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Always knew the lad did nothing wrong.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm glad he died.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like Ward took two big hits that night. Haha.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Larry Mac is mentally ill, as is DW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jeff Gordon drew fans. Jimmie Johnson hasn't. No reflection on his ability as a driver, and a lot of that isn't his fault, but it's how it is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Uncle Jam posted:

And people hated the poo poo out of Jeff Gordon holy poo poo. I mean come on, it was worse than Kyle.

Yeah. But unlike Kyle, they packed the stands to boo the poo poo out of him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really want Gordon to get 100 cup wins, it'd be neat IMO

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he's got nothing left to prove (except his mental stability) but I hope he isn't done for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm still perplexed as to how an otherwise entertaining NNS race still finds a way to have Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick finish 1-2.

It's because Nationwide has a single digit number of good cars and those are two of them.

• Locked thread