Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

The more I think about Talladega being an elimination race, the more excited I get. loving Talladega is a goddamn elimination race. It's like NASCAR realized how loving stupid this thing was and decided the best course of action was to make it stupider.

when someone dies it's gonna seem like such an amazing idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

yup

e- also pnut is a lane beast

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
winning at a plate race is not meaningful and I'd prefer that people stop saying that

e- I take that back, the Daytona 500 is meaningful, but only when a legend wins it after not winning it for years, like DW or Earnhardt, those meant something

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 10, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what the gently caress

what's the difference between the two

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fuzzy is proof that marketing works

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
no, Winston had their version of what golf and tennis had

also if you use golf as a comparison to NASCAR you no longer can bitch about Buschwhackers so be sure of what you type

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also just pointing out that you're referencing a time in NASCAR's history that was basically two decades ago

it's over Johnny

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
stay gold Ponyboy etc

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
considering everyone else that posted said the same thing as I did I doubt it

e- also are you even old enough to get that quote

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
triple crown races mean ovals does he not get that

e- also great month choices man

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fuzzy, welcome to the feeling I get when I post in the Indy thread

you and I aren't so different, after all

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
too bad AJ made him his gentle bitch

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also Dave MacDonald was a better road racer than Gurney hth

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

He and AJ were teammates at the 24 hours.

Foyt is the man though.

You see this btw?

http://www.usacracing.com/component/k2/item/4232-damion-gardner-goes-190-mph-in-shakedown-run-at-bonneville

kinda cool but as an Indy fan you shoulda posted this

e- 390mph in the shakedown run, he's going for 500

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what if we make all the races doubleheaders

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
false green flag

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
edgy as a catch fence in Vegas

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41n9_n_3_kA

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so how bad is nascar.com?

so bad you have to advance the story and pictures in their slideshow separately

e-

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
bring me back a bale of weed and some migrant workers tia

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
cya Marcos, you were pretty mediocre

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Gaaaaaaughn

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's literally no chance that it was anything other than an accident, predicated by the moron exiting the car, but we live in an era where if a perceived crime takes place and idiots cry loud enough, criminal charges are pressed so the DA looks effective.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd wager that there's no area in the US where the DA has a losing record

milking a celeb to a not guilty is the least of their problems

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Tim Richmond

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Part of the reason a lot of people hated Earnhardt was he was allowed to do whatever with no penalty, but the second a Rusty Wallace or Ernie Irvan showed up he'd cry to NASCAR and they'd crucify those guys in drivers meetings.

His personality is the only one they let flourish in the last 35 years, and even that was a manufactured personality.

He was the Intimidator, they tell us, yet I never saw him do anything intimidating other than run people over. He was a small, quiet guy who generally ran to his hauler when his crew was in a fistfight on pitroad.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is still the greatest finish in the Earnhardt era

e- I love that you can hear bedlam in the crowd as Mayfield crosses the line, people forget that back then a poo poo ton of people hated Earnhardt

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 17, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
NASCAR seems fun back then until you realize a lot of the time you're watching a 500 mile race at Dover with 4 cars on the lead lap. No lucky dog, no wave around.

500 miles of cars driving around in soul crushing boredom.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well it's a different time

my point is mainly that the bad races back then were BAD

e- I think this weekend I'm gonna find the most boring race from back in the mid 90's and we're all gonna watch it on cytube to gain perspective

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
ain't no better dirt track guy to explain it, really, dude's a legend across the board

e- also he's local to the story, kinda

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The sideways driving was a result of twisting the rear end housing under the car. The left rear wheel is pulled back towards the rear bumper, while the right rear is pushed forward. This gives the rear wheels a preload so to speak, making it easier to turn. You'll commonly hear this referred to as "rear steer", it first came around with Darrell Waltrip in the Tide car.

Someone find that overhead shot of the Penske car that's completely bent.

e- found it

See how the nose is bent towards the passenger side? The nose is what is pointed straight down the track, the rear of the car is kicked out to grab air over the spoiler. Cars got so bad like this that NASCAR made a yaw rule, banning such extreme setups.

Watching cars drive sideways in a straight line was really cool, though. When F1 fans say NASCAR is old tech, show them that picture and see if they can figure it out.

e2- this predates the CoT by a bit, as well. Chassis mods like this got banned, then the rear end fuckery got banned during the CoT's time.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 19, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Research the "Doomsday Hemi" for further on the engine wars. You can start with the Pontiac Mystery motor and work forward if you want to know the full engine story.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah that whole story is p. lol. Ford was bringing its ridiculous OHC motor to nascar and dodge was like "oh loving really now" and presented that motor which made nascar poo poo its pants and ban both. Legend has it that the motor dodge presented was so hastily slapped together that the presentation model was an empty block with no internals

The best part is that is exactly what Dodge wanted. They had no intention of actually building a DOHC Hemi, but they absolutely didn't want the Cammer running. So they whipped that up to bring to NASCAR to say "hey, this is down the pipeline, think long and hard about your next course of action".

So NASCAR did, and banned the OHV 426, too because Chrysler wasn't actually putting them into street cars like they were supposed to.

Then Chrysler pulled out of NASCAR for '65 and Richard Petty killed a kid.

All because of the Doomsday Hemi.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
here, you sick gently caress

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that ARCA race was good

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
these are a great introduction to ARCA

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also their Earnhardt is a dirt track modified guy from the Northeast who's only ever won a handful of races at Daytona and sucks everywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

maffew buildings posted:

My favorite part of any ARCA crash is after the initial wreck there's a huge cloud of smoke and in the additional vehicles coming out of it wrecked there's always one that's flipping and on fire

Why anybody sees cars wreck, a shitload of smoke and decides "Well if I just go to the top and accelerate I'll make it past it!" is beyond me. What would it take for ARCA to red flag a wreck, that Daytona 2005 clip looked pretty bad with the entire track blocked with wrecks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77ybggTHHg

• Locked thread