Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Real talk, folks: Rome did not end with the fall of Rome to the Germans and the subsequent centuries of Christian rule (I.E The Catholic Church).

The so called Byzantine Empire persisted for another 1000 years after the official 500AD fall of Rome date. But this other empire was not a Byzantine empire whatsoever, but Rome itself. The so called Byzantine Empire was in fact the Roman Empire and it lasted until 1492 or so when finally conquered by the Turks, but even the Turks continued the tradition as the "Ottoman Empire" and that ended only in WW1 around 1920 or so. And thus the title of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
An argument can be made that the Roman Empire never ended, it's all relative to how intrinsically you associate a specific culture with a political dynasty.

Tokaii
Mar 8, 2004

Oldest Goon
July 29, 1942
I agree up until the fall of Constantinople. If one asked a resident of what we call the Byzantine Empire what he was he would have said he was a Roman even though he probably spoke Greek. I think it's too much of a stretch to carry this through the Ottoman Empire however.

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
But The Third Rome fell in 1945...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i am the king of rum

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The end of the Ottoman Empire was pretty pathetic, I'll stick with Constantine XI and his badass defense of Constantinople in 1453, thanks.

Plus we all know the US is the real Rome 2.0

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i would also argue that pangaea still exists op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Mustang posted:

The end of the Ottoman Empire was pretty pathetic, I'll stick with Constantine XI and his badass defense of Constantinople in 1453, thanks.

Plus we all know the US is the real Rome 2.0

Regardless, it's a mind trip to reconsider history in light of Rome lasting until the 1490s (or the 1920s as I propose).

Hamsalad
May 28, 2007
i am torgo
those janissaries must have made one hell of a kebab

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

pretty sure this is nobodies business but the Turks

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Not true, I just took the decision to declare a new roman empire after the byzantine empire retook rome

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Roman Empire fell in 1453 you peon and I don't give a gently caress about some bullshit "Sultanate of Rum" title.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

gently caress SNEEP posted:

pretty sure this is nobodies business but the Turks

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

it ended in 2005 you uncultured gently caress

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to Philip K Dick, the Roman Empire never fell because time stopped sometime in the 1st century AD and everything since has been a vast holographic illusion.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ottomans arent romans stupid

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

According to Philip K Dick, the Roman Empire never fell because time stopped sometime in the 1st century AD and everything since has been a vast holographic illusion.

this is actually true

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Parallax Scroll posted:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Rome lives on through the United States of America! :911:

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 8, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

muscles like this? posted:

whoah - neo

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW
The Roman Empire ended in 1914, the year World War 1 commenced. That was also the year that Jesus Christ (under the authority of his father Jehovah) assumed his throne in heaven and cast Satan and his demons down to the confines of the earth. Ever since then, the Anglo-American (the 7th world power spoken of in the bible) world power has been in prominence but has been slowly weakening in it's influence worldwide. World events are maneuvering to soon usher in God's Kingdom to rule over deserving mankind, eliminating man's futile attempts at self-governing once and for all. Very soon, this world will be a physical and spiritual paradise. It will be a modern-day Eden with everything we need to live full and happy lives. This will include free Internet.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It really ended in 312 because no bitch assed jesus lover could be a true roman.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
cue goons "no sultanate of rum can't be rome because they're brown", anyways the HRE lasted until Napoleon, and arguably the German empire that succeeded it could be thought of as still "Rome" under a "Caesar" (which ended about the same time as the Ottoman Empire anyways), or pre-Revolutionary France which was another nation that arose from the Carolignian Empire, basically all of Europe, Anatolia and the Levant is one huge backwater of Rome

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
the Roman Empire lives on in the seat of St Peter, and the gates of hell will never prevail against it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

First Bass posted:

cue goons "no sultanate of rum can't be rome because they're brown", anyways the HRE lasted until Napoleon, and arguably the German empire that succeeded it could be thought of as still "Rome" under a "Caesar" (which ended about the same time as the Ottoman Empire anyways), or pre-Revolutionary France which was another nation that arose from the Carolignian Empire, basically all of Europe, Anatolia and the Levant is one huge backwater of Rome

i guess if you want to just call whatever you want rome then yeah it lives on bitches

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the third rome was moscow, and that ended in 1918. basically "rome" just means "orthodox christian empire"

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Considering pre-rome europe was a bunch of backwards as gently caress tree fuckers and now western civ rules the globe i'd say we still rockin that roman poo poo.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
yo teach i need to go to the bathroom can i get a hall pass?

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

Rome lives on through the United States of America! :911:

This unironically. America is the new Rome, the better Rome.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
its safe to say that the Free Empire of America wont last as long

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

Look, who's giving the report? You chowderheads... or the OP?!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

quakster posted:

its safe to say that the Free Empire of America wont last as long
yeah well those shitass Romans didn't go down with half of the world in a nuclear fireball like we will so who's the real winner

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah well those shitass Romans didn't go down with half of the world in a nuclear fireball like we will so who's the real winner
the jews. again

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Doesn't matter, Italy got curbstomped twice in WW1 and WW2 and now they are paying the price for inventing fascism by being broke all the time and answering to whatever the rest of Europe wants.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pff no true roman would bow to bitch rear end germanian barbarians

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
The byzantines were pretty cool though. The ottomans were ok, but the byzantines had some good poo poo.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Broenheim posted:

The byzantines were pretty cool though. The ottomans were ok, but the byzantines had some good poo poo.

its rome, motherfucker, not byzantium. get out of here w/ that punkass franco-gibbon poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

its rome, motherfucker, not byzantium. get out of here w/ that punkass franco-gibbon poo poo.

Rome was pretty cool too

• Locked thread