Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
CHANGES
Buffalo
Out: Jeff Quinn (21-37 in 4+ seasons, 3-4 in 2014), fired 10/13
Interim: Alex Wood (Buffalo OC/WR), 2-2 as interim
In: Lance Leipold (Wisconsin-Whitewater HC, 109-6 in 8 seasons, 15-0 in 2014), hired 12/1
Central Michigan
Out: Dan Enos (26-36 in 5 seasons, 7-6 in 2014), hired by Arkansas (as OC) 1/22
Colorado State
Out: Jim McElwain (22-16 in 3 seasons, 10-2 in 2014), hired by Florida 12/6
Interim: Dave Baldwin (Colorado State OC), 0-1 as interim
In: Mike Bobo (Georgia OC/QB), hired 12/22
Florida
Out: Will Muschamp (28-21 in 4 seasons, 6-5 in 2014), resignation announced 11/16
Interim: D.J. Durkin (Florida DC/LB)
In: Jim McElwain (Colorado State HC, see above), hired 12/6
Houston
Out: Tony Levine (21-17 in 3+ seasons, 7-5 in 2014), fired 12/8
Interim: David Gibbs (Houston DC)
In: Tom Herman (Ohio State OC/QB), hired 12/15
Kansas
Out: Charlie Weis (6-22 in 2+ seasons, 2-2 in 2014), fired 9/28
Interim: Clint Bowen (Kansas DC/LB), 1-7 as interim
In: David Beaty (Texas A&M WR/RC), hired 12/5
Michigan
Out: Brady Hoke (31-20 in 4 seasons, 5-7 in 2014), fired 12/2
In: Jim Harbaugh (49ers HC, 49-22-1 in 4 seasons, 8-8 in 2014), hired 12/30
Nebraska
Out: Bo Pelini (67-27 in 7+ seasons, 9-3 in 2014), fired 11/30
Interim: Barney Cotton (Nebraska AHC/OL/TE/RGC)
In: Mike Riley (Oregon State HC, see below), hired 12/4
Oregon State
Out: Mike Riley (93-80 in 14 seasons, 5-7 in 2014), hired by Nebraska 12/4
In: Gary Andersen (Wisconsin HC, see below), hired 12/10
Pittsburgh
Out: Paul Chryst (19-19 in 3 seasons, 6-6 in 2014), hired by Wisconsin 12/17
Interim: Joe Rudolph (Pittsburgh AHC/OC)
In: Pat Narduzzi (Michigan State DC), hired 12/26
SMU
Out: June Jones (36-43 in 6+ seasons, 0-2 in 2014), resigned 9/8
Interim: Tom Mason (SMU DC), 1-9 as interim
In: Chad Morris (Clemson OC/QB), hired 12/1
Troy
Out: Larry Blakeney (178-113-1 in 24 seasons, 3-9 in 2014), retirement announced 10/5
In: Neal Brown (Kentucky OC), hired 11/30
Tulsa
Out: Bill Blankenship (24-27 in 4 seasons, 2-10 in 2014), fired 12/1
In: Philip Montgomery (Baylor OC), hired 12/11
UNLV
Out: Bobby Hauck (15-49 in 5 seasons, 2-11 in 2014), resignation announced 11/28
In: Tony Sanchez (Bishop Gorman HS HC, 85-5 in 6 seasons, 15-0 in 2014), hired 12/8
Wisconsin
Out: Gary Andersen (19-7 in 2 seasons, 10-3 in 2014), hired by Oregon State 12/10
Interim: Barry Alvarez (Wisconsin AD)
In: Paul Chryst (Pittsburgh HC, see above), hired 12/17

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMPUTER SECRETS
Oct 6, 2003

Pig Sooie
Brett Beilema isn't on the hot seat, his buyout is insane. He has 4 years to turn it around minimum.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

Brett Beilema isn't on the hot seat, his buyout is insane. He has 4 years to turn it around minimum.

I forgot to even check for buyouts; I was just looking for people with bad records or who I'd heard a lot of noise about. :doh:

E: Geez, his buyout is thirteen million? Yeah he's gonna be there a while.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
I'd say, barring a complete meltdown, Dana Holgorsen's job is safe for this year. The team has improved drastically on all three sides of the ball and actually looks like a well coached team. Plus he's putting together probably the best recruiting class WVU has had in a long time, if not ever.

If we win at Maryland on Saturday, I think it's safe to go ahead and take him off the hot seat list.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Basil Hayden posted:

Mike London (Virginia) - 18-31 last 4 seasons; 1-1 in 2014 - UVa isn't an amazing program historically or anything, but at least Al Groh got them to bowl games sometimes when they let him hang around the entire last decade. They were reasonably competitive against UCLA, but that same UCLA team struggled with Memphis, and London hasn't beaten an FBS team since August of 2013.

I thought he should have been gone at the end of last season. He's 4-21 the last 25 games against I-A opponents. The team does seem to have improved over last year (though it would have been hard to be any worse). Weaknesses were points off turnovers, special teams, penalties, passing accuracy, the offensive line, etc. Very early this season it seems we've improved across the board. But we're still (probably) pretty bad, and the schedule is tough. We don't play any of the other bad ACC teams (Syracuse, NCSU, Wake). 6-6 and a bowl is probably not reachable, and that means London is gone.

eta: we could go 2-10 again and only be the 4th worst ACC team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

As of right now one of the warmer seats in the MAC has to be Dan Enos at Central Michigan. Things have slipped since the Brian Kelly and Butch Jones days and they just seem kinda rudderless right now. There was a lot of turnover among the bottom feeders recently so everyone else is pretty safe for the time being.

If Jeff Quinn has a solid year at Buffalo I would expect to see a bigger team take a pass at him this year.

Pete Lembo at Ball State got a lot of interest last year but nothing came of it. I don't know if the guy is a bad interview or what because he's done a great job.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Paul Johnson is absolutely getting fired after this year. He only survived last year because GT's athletic department couldn't afford to buy out his contract

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also the only reason Illinois hasn't already fired Beckman is because they pretty much couldn't afford to.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

DJExile posted:

As of right now one of the warmer seats in the MAC has to be Dan Enos at Central Michigan. Things have slipped since the Brian Kelly and Butch Jones days and they just seem kinda rudderless right now. There was a lot of turnover among the bottom feeders recently so everyone else is pretty safe for the time being.

Yeah, I noticed looking at the list of current coaches that like half of them are in their first or second season, which barring a scandal or an Ellis Johnson-level collapse will probably keep a lot of them safe even if they have a bad season. I feel like in general we might see less turnover than in the last couple years (ripple effects notwithstanding).

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
Hey SMU- why not Ed Orgeron?

Footbaw!!!!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

Yeah, I noticed looking at the list of current coaches that like half of them are in their first or second season, which barring a scandal or an Ellis Johnson-level collapse will probably keep a lot of them safe even if they have a bad season. I feel like in general we might see less turnover than in the last couple years (ripple effects notwithstanding).

yeah a lot of turnover in the MAC happened in the last couple years. BG, Eastern, Western, UMass, Miami, Kent, and NIU all had recent changes.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
please fire Rocky Long tia

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone explain SMU's situation to me from a "who wants this job" perspective. As best I can see it, it's got a good donor base, great recruiting location, but dated facilities. Am I in the ballpark here?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Paul Johnson is absolutely getting fired after this year. He only survived last year because GT's athletic department couldn't afford to buy out his contract

With his subpar performance right now, I'm wondering if it'll happen after the UGA game in November.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

Someone explain SMU's situation to me from a "who wants this job" perspective. As best I can see it, it's got a good donor base, great recruiting location, but dated facilities. Am I in the ballpark here?

It would be a perfect place for Brady Hoke to finish his career.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

DJExile posted:

Pretty much, yeah. SMU has money in spades, enough that the primary issue with facility upgrades is finding space.

D/FW is crawling with good recruits, but SMU is about 9th or 10th in line for them at best. Beyond that, it has the typical mid-major in a Power 5 conference footprint problems plus whatever baggage remains behind from the Pony Excess days (apparently including the academic side of the school having more influence than normal over the athletic department).

It's probably a pretty good stepping stone kind of job; the pay will be good but the boosters will expect some return on their investment. I don't think SMU is up for a retread after the June Jones experience, so I imagine they'll be focused on coordinators and successful FCS coaches. SMU gets most of its attention these days through big splash hires, so name recognition is likely at a premium. Orgeron might get a look and would be a decent fit in terms of football, but if he didn't fit the culture at USC I can't see how he'd fit in at SMU.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Webbeh posted:

With his subpar performance right now, I'm wondering if it'll happen after the UGA game in November.

He's a mediocre coach, but barring a Lane Kiffin-esque complete meltdown, I think it's reasonably safe to assume he'll ride out the rest of the season and, if he does get fired, it'll be very soon after whatever lovely bowl we get into this year.

I've heard some rumblings that his buyout this year is still too high for GT to consider firing him, but I don't know how true that is.

As much as we grumble about Paul Johnson, about how he can't win any important games (1-15 against UGA, Clemson, VT, and Miami in the last 4 years), about his terrible record at bowls, at least he gets us to bowls every year. I think Nebraska fans who want to fire Pelini are crazy because I'd kill for consistent 8/9 win seasons. Some programs would probably love to have a coach that can consistently get them into bowls.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
:siren: We have our first rumored candidate for the SMU job :siren:

It's Derek Dooley lmao

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The only other coach in the American I figure is on anything approaching a hot seat would be Willie Taggart at USF as his team was absolutely pitiful last year, but he also falls into the group of rather new coaches and he can also point to his large freshman class this year for any failures.

I could also see George O'Leary retiring after the season as he's 68 and has taken UCF as far as it can go, and it's only a matter of time before the siren song of the carousel lures Tommy Tuberville.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Al golden is on the hot seat in Miami.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Another rumored candidate for the job is ULL's Mark Hudspeth.

He is a great coach, and would likely do quite well at SMU. I know that Hud's dream job is Mississippi State, so he might stay in Louisiana because that would be a smart move to build up recruiting ties in the region for when he eventually gets the job after Mullen leaves for whatever reason.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
ULL -> SMU seems like a lateral move at best right now and Hudspeth could probably do a lot better with another decent season

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Also may play into the SMU search, some young offensive guys: Neal Brown, Sonny Cumbie, Lincoln Riley.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
A lot of the talking heads on Sirius' "College Sports Nation" channel are saying SMU should hire one of the many coaches they have on staff at that channel...

edit: The only ones there that I can think of off the top of my head are Chizik and Nutt.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 9, 2014

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Real Name Grover posted:

ULL -> SMU seems like a lateral move at best right now and Hudspeth could probably do a lot better with another decent season

Possibly, although it's starting to look like ULL is in for a rough year; if he sticks with the Cajuns, it might be a while before he's in the conversation again.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There was a rumor that O'Leary was going to retire directly after the Penn State game in Dublin, which was fairly ridiculous. I do think that he'll retire soon though. He's done a great job building UCF into a more prominent program. I don't think UCF will be more than a jumping off point into a big program, but they might be able to attract good mid-major coaches on their way up the ladder.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Basil Hayden posted:

MAC
Dan Enos (Central Michigan) - 19-30 last 4 seasons; 2-0 in 2014 - Things have slipped since the Brian Kelly and Butch Jones days and they just seem kinda rudderless right now. They did beat Purdue really soundly, but that's honestly probably not saying that much this year.

I noticed the other day that they play Purdue, Syracuse and Kansas three weeks in a row. I don't have any real idea how good Syracuse is supposed to be but that seems like three winnable games against big conference teams. It'll be funny if he's able to spin that into keeping his job if they turn to poo poo in conference play.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I think Darrell Hazell is on the hot seat at Purdue.

1-11 in his first season and now it looks like he might repeat that record this year after getting blown out by Central Michigan. The only other winnable game I see on the schedule is SIU.

I would hope a 2-22 record for two seasons gets you fired in the Big Ten. Danny Hope got fired for averaging 7 wins and three straight bowl appearances.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I noticed the other day that they play Purdue, Syracuse and Kansas three weeks in a row. I don't have any real idea how good Syracuse is supposed to be but that seems like three winnable games against big conference teams. It'll be funny if he's able to spin that into keeping his job if they turn to poo poo in conference play.

They beat Purdue pretty convincingly, although everyone beats Purdue these days. Syracuse should beat them though and it's probably a toss-up with Kansas. They're not the worst in the MAC, to be sure, (they're the best of the directionals and definitely above UMass and Miami), but it seems like their ceiling has been stuck around .500 lately.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

I think Darrell Hazell is on the hot seat at Purdue.

1-11 in his first season and now it looks like he might repeat that record this year after getting blown out by Central Michigan. The only other winnable game I see on the schedule is SIU.

I would hope a 2-22 record for two seasons gets you fired in the Big Ten. Danny Hope got fired for averaging 7 wins and three straight bowl appearances.

Is this because of Hazell or just a lack of talent?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

They beat Purdue pretty convincingly, although everyone beats Purdue these days. Syracuse should beat them though and it's probably a toss-up with Kansas. They're not the worst in the MAC, to be sure, (they're the best of the directionals and definitely above UMass and Miami), but it seems like their ceiling has been stuck around .500 lately.

Thomas Rawls may single-handedly save his rear end. I watched him in the Chattanooga and Purdue games, and he's been an absolute beast. CMU has a legit ground attack with him in the game.

He's a transfer from Michigan, and he was pretty good with us. I don't remember why he transferred, but CMU has improved their offense hugely with his addition.

Ed: 56 carries, 276 yards in first two games.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 9, 2014

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Komet posted:

There isn't a cupboard as bare as the one in Purdue.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

I lean towards the latter. Hazell did a hell of a job at Kent in just 2 years, although that might not have been a great sample size. It seems like the cupboard was pretty bare at Purdue when he arrived.

EDIT

Deteriorata posted:

Thomas Rawls may single-handedly save his rear end. I watched him in the Chattanooga and Purdue games, and he's been an absolute beast. CMU has a legit ground attack with him in the game.

He's a transfer from Michigan, and he was pretty good with us. I don't remember why he transferred, but CMU has improved their offense hugely with his addition.

He may well have. There have been quite a few transfers to the MAC recently from big programs. I don't know if it's because of academics or systems they don't like or what.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hope absolutely drove Purdue recruiting into the ground and left a mess for Hazell to clean up, but you'd like to see at least some progress in the next couple years. I'd throw that first season out but if they're one of the worst teams in the country this year again (and they looked about as hopeless as ever in that CMU game) then I'd be seriously concerned. You'd like to see them win a couple more games and at least be competitive in others this year. Like at Iowa Kirk inherited an absolute disaster from Hayden (who did a great job overall, but had let recruiting fall completely into the shitter his last three years or so), so only winning 1 game the first year was understandable. Then the next year they were still bad, but were competitive in most games and stole a couple they shouldn't have (suck it, Northwestern). Then the third year they were again competitive in most games and made a bowl. And then year four they won the Big Ten and went to a BCS game. That last step is asking a little much from Purdue probably, but you'd like to see them at least back to bowl level by year three.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
24/7 Purdue's Recruiting Rankings from 2010-Present

2010-50th
2011-75th
2012-49th
2013-62nd
2014-69th
2015(so far)54th

Hazell was hired in December of 2012. I think it may take a longer than normal to get Purdue out of the cellar.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Former Colorado coach Dan Hawkins has publicly expressed interest in SMU and Mark Packer seems hell-bent on getting him an interview and wants to do the entire thing over the radio.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

MourningView posted:

Hope absolutely drove Purdue recruiting into the ground and left a mess for Hazell to clean up, but you'd like to see at least some progress in the next couple years. I'd throw that first season out but if they're one of the worst teams in the country this year again (and they looked about as hopeless as ever in that CMU game) then I'd be seriously concerned. You'd like to see them win a couple more games and at least be competitive in others this year. Like at Iowa Kirk inherited an absolute disaster from Hayden (who did a great job overall, but had let recruiting fall completely into the shitter his last three years or so), so only winning 1 game the first year was understandable. Then the next year they were still bad, but were competitive in most games and stole a couple they shouldn't have (suck it, Northwestern). Then the third year they were again competitive in most games and made a bowl. And then year four they won the Big Ten and went to a BCS game. That last step is asking a little much from Purdue probably, but you'd like to see them at least back to bowl level by year three.

I wasn't sure whether or not to list Hazell, but yeah given the CMU loss I think it'd be safe to leave him on there until he can win at least one or two more games.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Deteriorata posted:

Rawls is loving awesome.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Scarf posted:

Former Colorado coach Dan Hawkins has publicly expressed interest in SMU and Mark Packer seems hell-bent on getting him an interview and wants to do the entire thing over the radio.
Go play innermurals, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Indiana was even worse when Wilson took over. Indiana has gone 1-11, 4-8, and 5-7 since he took over, including a win over Penn State last year. So Wilson has demonstrated significant improvement. It's too early to cast out Hazell, but yeah, if he goes 1-11 again, he's in trouble. I'd still give him one more year if he is recruiting better.

As an aside, if Indiana could field a competent defense, they'd be as good as Northwestern in recent years--7 to 8 wins and a bowl game. Wilson won't be at Indiana for long.

• Locked thread