Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Ruffin McNeill is doing a very good job at ECU and will get a chance. Since Michigan seems to have their head up their rear end they're not gonna go full air raid, but Florida might be willing to give it a shot after the success Sumlin's had.

That being said, I bet Florida tries to go for a much more known commodity, someone who has won at a P5 school.

I bethope Florida goes for Coach O.

If Dave Brandon is doing the hiring, he'll want a guy who runs the Power-I under center with two tight ends and an H-back. Gaining three yards on a fullback dive is the epitome of college football.

Hence, I'll give Hoke another year if it means getting rid of Brandon first so that somebody whose knuckles don't drag when he walks can hire Hoke's successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
we extended Leach's contract through the 2018 season last year, which was a good move obviously and about as long as individual contracts with big names tend to go these days, whether they get renewed or not. unfucking our program is going to take longer than even the worst of us pessimists thought and 2018 could very well end up being our first time in the T25 since being #25 for a week in 2006. I hope he stays here until he retires for good, no matter how bad our season gets (losing to Rutgers and Nevada :smithicide:) he'll never have alumni nor anyone else breathing down his neck as long as there's some sense of progression. Anyway, he's not going anywhere for a few more years at least but a good article on him ran on ESPN the other day and I think a lot of you guys will like it: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11534606/mike-leach-feels-ease-coaching-football-pullman-washington-state-cougars

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

I know it's far too topical of choice, but maybe Ruffin McNeil? I don't know how much he has left on his contract, but ECU looks good and he apparently managed not to completely gently caress up TTU during his one interim coaching stint for them in the bowl game, so... maybe decent?

Ruff's an interesting case. He's currently at his alma mater having a good bit of success. He's completely dependent on his OC, though, for offense and his defense of choice is pretty much base 4-3 and run to the ball. Not exactly a heady coordinator, but a great motivator.

So is he interested enough in the money to be tempted by a P5 program?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
There is definitely smoke about Harbaugh leaving the 49ers, my guess is he goes to the Dolphins though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lasagna Pilot posted:

There is definitely smoke about Harbaugh leaving the 49ers, my guess is he goes to the Dolphins though.

Watching Michigan's last coaching change, it sure looked like Brandon fired Rodriguez because he thought he had Harbaugh lined up. Then Harbaugh stiffed him for the Niners, and Brandon had to scramble for Plan B, ending up with Hoke.

I don't think Jim is going to any calls from Ann Arbor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not gonna lie, having one team in the B1G go full-fledged air raid would be a riot to watch.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

DJExile posted:

Not gonna lie, having one team in the B1G go full-fledged air raid would be a riot to watch.

Penn State's running game is so bad that they might as well go full fledged air raid this season, especially with Hackenberg and the talent they have at WR and TE. I figured Indiana might be the best candidate for the air raid, but I looked at their stats, and their playcalling is remarkably well balanced.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

Penn State's running game is so bad that they might as well go full fledged air raid this season, especially with Hackenberg and the talent they have at WR and TE. I figured Indiana might be the best candidate for the air raid, but I looked at their stats, and their playcalling is remarkably well balanced.

Yeah their running back is actually pretty good from what I saw (Granted, our defense is trash garbage), Indiana's only problem is they can't stop anyone, but they're pretty nicely loaded with offensive weapons. I'd imagine Kevin Wilson is getting some attention from bigger schools.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

DJExile posted:

Yeah their running back is actually pretty good from what I saw (Granted, our defense is trash garbage), Indiana's only problem is they can't stop anyone, but they're pretty nicely loaded with offensive weapons. I'd imagine Kevin Wilson is getting some attention from bigger schools.
Kevin Wilson was one of the original spread offense guys, so I'm kind of surprised he hasn't had an HC job yet.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Kevin Wilson was one of the original spread offense guys, so I'm kind of surprised he hasn't had an HC job yet.

He's head coach of Indiana and has really turned them into a respectable team. Yeah, they don't play defense, but their offense has risen into the top 20 nationally in the last few years. Their offense gives them a shot to beat almost any team in the Big Ten.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Komet posted:

He's head coach of Indiana and has really turned them into a respectable team. Yeah, they don't play defense, but their offense has risen into the top 20 nationally in the last few years. Their offense gives them a shot to beat almost any team in the Big Ten.
I mistyped. I meant a HC job before Indiana, sorry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He gave Ohio State fits for 2 or 3 years as well. It's honestly not a bad way to approach running a team like Indiana. The odds a school like that is ever going to have a big ten caliber defense are pretty low so concentrate on the offensive side of the ball and get into track meets with teams built more for a grinding ground game.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

He gave Ohio State fits for 2 or 3 years as well. It's honestly not a bad way to approach running a team like Indiana. The odds a school like that is ever going to have a big ten caliber defense are pretty low so concentrate on the offensive side of the ball and get into track meets with teams built more for a grinding ground game.

I don't get how Indiana can go from losing to Bowling Green to beating Missouri at home in a span of two weeks. :psyduck:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

korrandark posted:

I don't get how Indiana can go from losing to Bowling Green to beating Missouri at home in a span of two weeks. :psyduck:
Bowling Green has a video game offense.

Missouri does not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

korrandark posted:

because chaos loving reigns :getin:

Bowling Green has a video game offense.

Missouri does not.

Also this.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

Ruff's an interesting case. He's currently at his alma mater having a good bit of success. He's completely dependent on his OC, though, for offense and his defense of choice is pretty much base 4-3 and run to the ball. Not exactly a heady coordinator, but a great motivator.

So is he interested enough in the money to be tempted by a P5 program?

They're gonna have to kick Ruffin out of ECU to get him to leave. Lincoln Riley will leave if anyone on the ECU staff does but he's only really interested in coaching Texas if he goes anywhere.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Festive Transvestite posted:

They're gonna have to kick Ruffin out of ECU to get him to leave. Lincoln Riley will leave if anyone on the ECU staff does but he's only really interested in coaching Texas if he goes anywhere.

I tend to agree with you. Ruff at ECU is pretty much a perfect pairing for both parties.

SMU should take a very close look at Lincoln Riley for their open spot. Sonny Cumbie would be another great land for SMU.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lasagna Pilot posted:

That'd be cool if he was my team's big manbaby instead of San Francisco's big manbaby

I think Pete Carmichael from the Saints would be a good replacement for Michigan but I doubt they look anywhere other than Michigan Men TM or maybe like Pep Hamilton or someone

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Greg Schiano is the name making the rounds in the Michigan rumor mills today.

That would suck but I imagine he'd be better than Hoke.

The lowest of low bars.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Greg Schiano for athletic director

Derek Dooley for HC

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Someone should hire Chad Morris so Dabo will look like Chizik after he lost Malzahn. Morris is the main reason they've been competitive for the last few years. He definitely deserves a HC spot and I want to watch Clemson burn. Win-win.

Also I am going to fall down laughing if a big school hires Greg loving Schiano.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Someone should hire Chad Morris so Dabo will look like Chizik after he lost Malzahn. Morris is the main reason they've been competitive for the last few years. He definitely deserves a HC spot and I want to watch Clemson burn. Win-win.

Also I am going to fall down laughing if a big school hires Greg loving Schiano.

Miles to Michigan, Morris to LSU.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

One of the guys on FBScoops is completely sold on Chad Morris taking the SMU job but that's the only place I've seen anyone talking about it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Karmalaa70 posted:

Greg Schiano is the name making the rounds in the Michigan rumor mills today.

That would suck but I imagine he'd be better than Hoke.

The lowest of low bars.

He would run literally the exact same program, so this would be hilarious on many levels.

Just because fans hate Brandon, is there any reason to think that coaches would be scared off by him though?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

DJExile posted:

One of the guys on FBScoops is completely sold on Chad Morris taking the SMU job but that's the only place I've seen anyone talking about it.

I could see him using the SMU job to springboard himself onto a bigger job in Texas. It would be just like when Briles went from Houston to Baylor. Plus I could see SMU being a major player in recruiting while he's there as well because Texas High School football coaches love former Texas High School coaches.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

AfterFather posted:

I could see him using the SMU job to springboard himself onto a bigger job in Texas. It would be just like when Briles went from Houston to Baylor. Plus I could see SMU being a major player in recruiting while he's there as well because Texas High School football coaches love former Texas High School coaches.

Chad Morris could go straight to a P5 gig, though. He would have been TTU's coach had Kliff not popped up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

He's a pretty hot candidate, it's hard to think he wouldn't get looks at some much, much better jobs than SMU

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

Just because fans hate Brandon, is there any reason to think that coaches would be scared off by him though?

Scared? No. But no coach with other options is going to want to deal with this smug rear end in a top hat butting in all the time.

The culture is poisonous, as the first outsider to be coach since Bo was never accepted, given little support from the AD, and ultimately run out of town on a rail.

I think the best for Michigan is to fire Brandon, and the new AD hires the next coach. It likely means another lost season with Hoke due to the timing, but that sounds better to me than 3-5 seasons with whatever clown show Brandon would hire with his 'process'.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

No reason to waste a year, dump Brandon after the MSU game (a 77-0 loss, natch) and by the time December rolls around there's a new Pizza Executive ruining everything.

Maybe Papa John is available. Or Hungry Howie. There's already an Ilitch on the board of regents.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Golden's seat is getting hotter. Some of the larger Miami Boosters have already told the school they aren't donating any more money until he's gone, including stuff he'd already pledged. That kind of stuff matters more than message board stuff.

Dilber fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 23, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Karmalaa70 posted:

Scared? No. But no coach with other options is going to want to deal with this smug rear end in a top hat butting in all the time.

The culture is poisonous, as the first outsider to be coach since Bo was never accepted, given little support from the AD, and ultimately run out of town on a rail.

The culture being poisonous and any outsider being rejected is a problem that goes a whole hell of a lot deeper than Brandon.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Alas, one of our indefinitely suspended o-line starters (Kennedy Estelle) just got officially dismissed. He was one of the two who were initially reported as dismissed, then later announced as suspended.

Nobody will be returning from suspension for Kansas. We might get RB/WR Daje Johnson back for Baylor though, he's apparently been practicing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

The culture being poisonous and any outsider being rejected is a problem that goes a whole hell of a lot deeper than Brandon.

Yeah, there's a lot of problems with the program at a lot of levels, and a lot of problems with Brandon that are largely orthogonal to the rest. Where they intersect, Brandon is actively encouraging the toxic, inbred culture rather than trying to clean things up, which is even more of a reason to get rid of him.

I am in favor of burning the whole thing down and starting over again. I hope the new president and BoR think the same thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I hope the new president and BoR think the same thing.

You got a glimmer of hope a couple months ago, I remember there was some interview where he said something to the effect of "[Brandon] needs to realize he works for me, not the other way around".

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yeah, I think Brandon is out within a year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

SMU: Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman reports that former Texas offensive coordinator Major Applewhite has applied for the SMU job.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Has Applewhite done anything to prove that he deserves an HC job (let alone a good OC job) other than "Texas Football sorta-but-not-really-legend?"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
His name is a high rank in the military.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

surrender posted:

Has Applewhite done anything to prove that he deserves an HC job (let alone a good OC job) other than "Texas Football sorta-but-not-really-legend?"

Not to my knowledge. Maybe he's a hell of a recruiter or something. Still, can't fault the guy for applying. It probably won't win him the SMU job but I suppose it could get him some attention for a Sun Belt or CUSA job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

His name is a high rank in the military.

I am convinced that all of his success in life is related to having a very Texasy name. He wasn't anything special as a QB but Texas fans loved him and were screaming for him to start the whole time he was there. He's never done anything as a coach but he keeps getting high profile jobs. If you live in Texas just name your kid Stetson Sixshooter and teach him to throw a spiral. He'll be set up for life.

• Locked thread