Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
When you said that two Inquisitors were to join us, it didn't dawn on me that' wed also get their retinue as well. I cannot wait to find them wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Next session, including a fight with Highmore #4 will be tomorrow(16 January, regular time 19:00 UTC)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I cannot guarantee I'll be there, sadly. Will show up if able.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
After an uhh, blessed set of rolls, the party has rooted out the misguided sect of stormtroopers, earing them 1500 xp and 3 influence, which makes the totals 15000 xp and +31 influence. Meanwhile, the party's inquisitor has uncovered a lead that might bring you to the Prophet of Chaos, a heretical uprising on the war world of Magnant VI Next session planned for saturday 23 January.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I have a bad cold at the moment and won't be able to gm tonight so I'm going to have to move the next planned session to the 6 february.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Sorry to hear that. As of right now I won't be available the 6th, as I will be out of town. If those plans change, I will let you know.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Unless there's a sudden cancellation, I'll be busy this saturday too.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Werix posted:

Sorry to hear that. As of right now I won't be available the 6th, as I will be out of town. If those plans change, I will let you know.

I was going to visit my sister, but she has a nasty sinus infection, so I actually will be available this weekend.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am visiting my sister this weekend and cannot attend. Best of luck, guys.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's been a while but I should be fine for tomorrow.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Tomorrow's(13 february) game might start 5-10 minutes late depending on if traffic co-operates or not.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

I am visiting my sister this weekend and cannot attend. Best of luck, guys.

This is me, but this weekend.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I should be good for this weekend, but fair warning: I'm presently struggling with some sickness so if my condition worsens I might be too out of it to attend.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The party took out the Right Hand of the Prophet, the fallen astropath responsible for causing Chaos uprisings in the Prophet's name and then (accidentally) exploded all of his stuff. Xp is at 15500 now. Like last week, tomorrow(20 February) I might arrive home a little bit late.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm not gonna be able to do this weekend which I hate because I really love our Reckless™ plan to board the chaos battlecruiser.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My internet is giving me a bit of trouble, there's a chance hat I might disconnect for 30 seconds or so at a time during tonight's game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
After successfully infiltrating a Chaos ship(which netted you 500 xp and +2 influence), the Inquisition has now decided that you'll be infiltrating a Chaos planet tomorrow(5 march).

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads-up: I'll be busy the coming weekend.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
After successfully infiltrating a heretical planet, the party stumbled upon a few rituals that was doing... something, and proceeded to blow them up, barely managing to avoid exploding their own heads in the process but attracting the attention of the local peacekeeping forces, which you'll face off against tomorrow(12-3-15)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It's daylight savings time fuckery time again, The game tonight will be at 20:00 CET/19:00 UTC, check your offsets everybody.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I don't think everybody's DST is fully synced up yet for tomorrow's game so make sure to check what 20:00 CET translates to in you region.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Internet is acting up a bit, might have the occasional drop during the game tonight.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I hadn't given out xp in a while and thought that the party discovering a long lost archeotech augur array would be a good reason to add some, tonight(9-4, 20:00 CEST or local equivalent), everybody will have +500 xp for a total of 16500 now.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I shall, sadly, be unable to make it this week. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
One thing I would like to talk about, and either we can actually talk about it on Skype, or here in thread, is the possibility of Grayson becoming an Inquisitor, since I'm 6 influence away. I know I have joked about it a lot while playing, but if Asehujiko allows, and all you other players agree, I do want to make him an Inquisitor.

Reason I want to talk about it now is because if I can make him an Inquisitor, then there are going to start to be some character shifts in Grayson as he realizes he really wants to be an Inquisitor. He will start to take on that leader role more, as well as carefully listening to the plans of others and siding with less "Team Reckless" plans if someone puts forward a good solid plan. Basically start to realize that running at everything with a sword isn't always the solution, and start to treat the other players as trusted advisers so they can be such once he gets the big =][=.

If Grayson can't become an Inquisitor, then I plan to keep him the same old rush headlong at the enemies Grayson he is now, which is absolutely fine with me. I just want to know so I can start planning and role play accordingly.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm gonna have to give it a miss again due to still being busy with school work. It's gonna ease up about May but I don't mean to be absent all that time, if I can make time for it.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I don't have a problem with people trying to make the next jump up in rank, whatever that might be. I imagine that "Inquisitor" here is going to actually be "interrogator" as far as in-universe ranks go though.

Speaking of being a bit more subtle, I've had a thought about this whole Nurgle ceremony. We can't really use a big artillery piece, but what if instead we did some sniper work?

The basic outline would be something like this:

We get an autocannon from somewhere, and put a scope on it. Stern + 1 carry it and some ammunition to the extreme range of the cannon and set up, Barrett .50 style. I'm thinking either Daren who might borrow the magnoculars and do some Logic tests to help Stern adjust? Or Tearrial to do the same thing with optical mechadendrites and software. We sneak up there, set up and Stern does his thing to destroy the Elixir container before its used in the ceremony and then take out anyone that looks important.

The next bit is more variable. We could do the social thing to try and maintain cover. This would involve Grayson and the non-sniper team to offer their services as extra security in the Chimera. Then we make coded reports/let the sniper team listen in to have "eyes on target" a bit closer to the action. The steps of operation would go like this:

1. We get an extra autocannon/long range sniper weapon and scope.

2. We offer our services/chimera as extra security around the ritual site, to help guide the sniper team and also preserve our cover.

3. The snipers take out the Elixir and whatever priests/sorcerers/etc that seem important to the ritual.

4. The Chimera team, since they know where the attack is going to be coming from, "conveniently" will be in the perfect place to respond. They'll shoot off the chimera autocannon/stubber and charge gloriously to where the attack is coming from.

5. Hopefully, the Chimera will be the first thing on site as the response. The rear hatch drops and everyone fans out. We 'find' the autocannon abandoned, along with whatever evidence we need to plant, and to outside observers the 'sniper team' will have been in the Chimera the whole time. If someone else arrives first, the sniper team will lay low until the Chimera arrives and we find a way to drop the back hatch so that everyone can "charge out." If we can find evidence/equipment to plant and throw suspicion on the quints, all the better.

Thoughts?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Got some errands to run, game may be a little bit late if traffic is bad(5 minutes or so).

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Werix posted:

One thing I would like to talk about, and either we can actually talk about it on Skype, or here in thread, is the possibility of Grayson becoming an Inquisitor, since I'm 6 influence away. I know I have joked about it a lot while playing, but if Asehujiko allows, and all you other players agree, I do want to make him an Inquisitor.

Reason I want to talk about it now is because if I can make him an Inquisitor, then there are going to start to be some character shifts in Grayson as he realizes he really wants to be an Inquisitor. He will start to take on that leader role more, as well as carefully listening to the plans of others and siding with less "Team Reckless" plans if someone puts forward a good solid plan. Basically start to realize that running at everything with a sword isn't always the solution, and start to treat the other players as trusted advisers so they can be such once he gets the big =][=.

If Grayson can't become an Inquisitor, then I plan to keep him the same old rush headlong at the enemies Grayson he is now, which is absolutely fine with me. I just want to know so I can start planning and role play accordingly.

Sure, but feel free to play out the whole story arch, as I would love to see Grayson 'SQUEEEEEEEEG' Macavoy's transformation into a cold and calculating individual on whom the fate of planets will be dependent.

I mean, we all know how long it would take from Grayson becoming an inquisitor to him being reprimanded for calling one too many Exterminatuses. :v:

(It's fine by me if Asehujiko is ok with a player having that kind of in-universe authority.)

professor_curly posted:

I don't have a problem with people trying to make the next jump up in rank, whatever that might be. I imagine that "Inquisitor" here is going to actually be "interrogator" as far as in-universe ranks go though.

Speaking of being a bit more subtle, I've had a thought about this whole Nurgle ceremony. We can't really use a big artillery piece, but what if instead we did some sniper work?

The basic outline would be something like this:

We get an autocannon from somewhere, and put a scope on it. Stern + 1 carry it and some ammunition to the extreme range of the cannon and set up, Barrett .50 style. I'm thinking either Daren who might borrow the magnoculars and do some Logic tests to help Stern adjust? Or Tearrial to do the same thing with optical mechadendrites and software. We sneak up there, set up and Stern does his thing to destroy the Elixir container before its used in the ceremony and then take out anyone that looks important.

The next bit is more variable. We could do the social thing to try and maintain cover. This would involve Grayson and the non-sniper team to offer their services as extra security in the Chimera. Then we make coded reports/let the sniper team listen in to have "eyes on target" a bit closer to the action. The steps of operation would go like this:

1. We get an extra autocannon/long range sniper weapon and scope.

2. We offer our services/chimera as extra security around the ritual site, to help guide the sniper team and also preserve our cover.

3. The snipers take out the Elixir and whatever priests/sorcerers/etc that seem important to the ritual.

4. The Chimera team, since they know where the attack is going to be coming from, "conveniently" will be in the perfect place to respond. They'll shoot off the chimera autocannon/stubber and charge gloriously to where the attack is coming from.

5. Hopefully, the Chimera will be the first thing on site as the response. The rear hatch drops and everyone fans out. We 'find' the autocannon abandoned, along with whatever evidence we need to plant, and to outside observers the 'sniper team' will have been in the Chimera the whole time. If someone else arrives first, the sniper team will lay low until the Chimera arrives and we find a way to drop the back hatch so that everyone can "charge out." If we can find evidence/equipment to plant and throw suspicion on the quints, all the better.

Thoughts?

I don't know what the situation is like, having missed last session, but the basics look doable on a first pass. We'll discuss them further on Skype.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I unfortunately don't really have time to play again because I failed to get the week's programming stuff wrapped up in time.

I hope for a recap on whatever goes down since I was pretty interested in this mission but I've mostly missed its latter half. :(

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Werix posted:

Basically start to realize that running at everything with a sword isn't always the solution, and start to treat the other players as trusted advisers so they can be such once he gets the big =][=.

Just because it came up in skype you were waiting for a suitable "moment" for this transformation to start, I think this last session might be a good place for it. We're ambushed on an open bridge, we break the ambush and instead of escaping start pursuing our ambushers, even as heavy machine guns open up on our position. Grayson does the sensible thing, ducks for cover and starts dashing for the exit. Daren placidly keeps walking forward into the gunfire even after being shot rather directly. It might click why exactly Daren got the nickname "Reckless" and what being on "Team Reckless" actually means. It may not be burning a fate point/near death, but it has something of the same qualities.

Grayson leads the charge against the enemy, but quickly realizes the impossibility of trying to actually take this giant death fortress. He starts to make a hasty retreat, and sees that not only is Daren still going forward but doesn't even seem interested in turning around. Grayson "deciding" (your willpower rolls) to retreat could be the realization that just charging this fortress wasn't just going to get himself killed, but Daren and probably Tearriel killed. And without Grayson to be the face, Tearriel to keep our poo poo working and Daren to be the walking warp-detector how was the rest of the team going to have any hope of finishing the mission?

Just a thought anyway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Maybe. I guess that just didn't seem like a dire enough situation though. When I said Grayson has to burn a fate point to realize charging right at our problems isn't sensible, well maybe that was a bit hyperbolic. What I think would get Grayson thinking is would be even if someone took a critical wound from some stupid charge at the enemy plan. We do something stupid that gets us out-classed, and next thing you know Stern has to get a cybernetic arm because it got blown off by some guy in an entrenched position we had not reason charging, which gets Grayson going "poo poo, this has consequences."

Otherwise it is going to have to start to come as a more general realization. When he was in the Guard, well, a guardsmen's life was currency to be spent, so for Grayson, fix bayonets and charge was always sensible. But now? We're a lot more valuable than some Guard, so rushing head first would be a dumb idea. hell, Stern proved that last session with his whole "hiding behind the drapes to get intel" action. No Guardsmen could do that, so why risk Stern's life like he is one?

Also, I am going to try and have Grayson push more for more social solutions to problems, because drat, he's really good at talkin' people into do things.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Speaking of, if we do somehow manage to make it off this deathtrap with the Elixir, I think we can make this whole thing work. We get back to the planet, make the drop-off and then wait a long way off. I think Daren can use his "passive detection" to get a bead on the elixir and follow it without us having to use a tracker or any active psychic power. If I don't miss my guess, they'll take that elixir to wherever the Quint's main base is.

Assuming we even survive getting off this ship and somehow get the elixir. Thank god these people didn't think to count how many of us there were.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Werix posted:

Otherwise it is going to have to start to come as a more general realization. When he was in the Guard, well, a guardsmen's life was currency to be spent, so for Grayson, fix bayonets and charge was always sensible. But now? We're a lot more valuable than some Guard, so rushing head first would be a dumb idea. hell, Stern proved that last session with his whole "hiding behind the drapes to get intel" action. No Guardsmen could do that, so why risk Stern's life like he is one?

I wouldn't worry too much. By that logic, Stern's life should only be risked in the most insanely difficult and dangerous circumstances. Like the ones we're always in.

professor_curly posted:

Assuming we even survive getting off this ship and somehow get the elixir. Thank god these people didn't think to count how many of us there were.

Counterpoint: Stern has no idea of the deep dodo you guys are in.

Addendum: I will be unable to attend this week, as I have to run a game for my RL tabletop group. Good luck, guys! :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Got family over so there's a chance dinner might run a little bit late, if so, game start might be delayed for a few minutes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
For a change of pace, there's nothing that could delay the game this week! In addition to that happy news, everybody has 1500 xp to spend from defeating a Herald of Nurgle and it's entourage of plaguebearers. Influence gain from this is forthcoming once you get back to Imperial space.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I will likely not be able to attend session this week due to a prior engagement. I will likely not attend next week either, depending on how my RL tabletop group's schedules match up.

You can have Stern be on recovery from horrifying chaos-daemon induced blood loss and one of his allies nearly chopping him in half. If the party needs him for a thing, he limps onto the scene, performs the task, then walks off muttering and casting angry glares after Daren and Tearriel, who know what they did.

Maximillian Stern posted:

"This was a terrible idea!"

That said, I love our party dynamic, I really do.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
"This is the last time I assume you know what you're doing."

"Why did you assume that this time?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
"We all lived and no one was seriously maimed. Obviously the Emperor Protects and we should keep charging all our problems head on! "

- Grayson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

"This is the last time I assume you know what you're doing."

"Why did you assume that this time?"

*Deep breath*

"Because YOU are the psyker. DAEMONIC THREAT ASSESSMENT IS YOUR FIELD. AT NO POINT DID YOU STATE THERE WAS A NON-ZERO CHANCE OF THIS LEADING TO A LITERAL DAEMONIC INVASION."

Don't worry guys. I'm sure he'll calm down once the commendations for actually living through that debacle comes in.

Or once they mind wipe the experience from him, as is mandated in imperial law for all Arbite officers who learn of the existence of an Elixir of the Unclean.

e:

Werix posted:

"We all lived and no one was seriously maimed. Obviously the Emperor Protects and we should keep charging all our problems head on! "

- Grayson

Words to launch an Inquisitorial career by.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread