Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014
**Due to the response we got from our original posting, we have decided to start over. We did some more research, got new recording software, and have taken a different approach.**

Hello everyone! I'm Baseborn! I am new here so please, be kind! (or don't?)

Earthbound has been my all time favorite ever since I discovered it as a child. I can remember looking up at the wall of video game rentals and seeing this big awkward box set somewhere near the middle of the rows. There was only one, and as foreign as it was to me, I felt I must investigate this strange image on the front. "A giant robot looking thing with a boy inside it? Hmmmmm... I must know!" I thought as I gazed upward.

My parents would let me rent a game once a week. I was always very quiet and reserved and I was lucky to have parents who let me indulge in all these crazy fantasy worlds. None of my gaming experience up to that point could prepare me for this... A game that comes with a strategy guide? That was new. I made a habit of never looking at guides, but all the colorful pictures enthused me. I started the game up and soon discovered why the guide was included. One thing was for sure, this game encouraged exploring and talking to everyone! I soon found myself going to every corner of every area, talking to every npc, and checking the most random things. I rented the game so much, my dad bought it. He figured he'd get some time off from renting new games and save over the long run. He was right! I played this game to no end. I can honestly say, I didn't get the best grades I probably could have while absorbed.

I've beaten the game more than a few times now and unfortunately there is no more surprise. Lucky for me, though, my friend FrozenFace has never played Earthbound! Up until now his only knowledge of the game he got through Super Smash Bros. Cut to present day and he has joined me as I once again put on my red cap, pick up my bat, and head out to face evil!

We would like to extend our welcome to everyone interested in joining us on this journey - SO - without further ado:

Earthbound was released on SNES in 1994. Though it appears to be a single game, it is actually the second in the Mother series originally released in Japan.

Your Party:

Ness

Paula

Jeff

Poo

Earthbound may possibly be the most unique RPG ever conceived. Over the years RPGs had been established as fantasy in nature - full of wizards and swords. Earthbound/Mother broke the mold and opened up a whole new world of possibilities with it's bright colors, techno and jazz music, and wacky enemies. Even the mechanics were unique with the scrolling health bar, random status effects, and the option to name your main "PSI" attack. No magic here! You use the power of your mind (imagination?) to take down the evil entities of this universe!

Episode 1 - No More Jammies
Episode 2 - Crime Never Pays
Episode 3 - Frank and the Titanic Ant
Episode 4 - Captain Strong and Everdred
Episode 5 - Apples, Oranges, and Mushrooms
Episode 6 - The Happiest Town Around
Episode 7 - Take Out The Blue
Episode 8 - The Mondo Mole/Back to Twoson
Episode 9 - Ghost Town
Episode 10 - Rescue The Friends You Never Met
Episode 11 - Mini Barf is a Beast
Episode 12 - A Trip to Saturn
Episode 13 - Industrial Farm Zombies

New episodes are uploaded as often as possible! This could take a while... :jerky: :11tea:

Baseborn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It's good everything is good about this. You did it. Ignore everyone below me.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

judge reinhold posted:

It's good everything is good about this. You did it. Ignore everyone below me.

I really hope so! This place is intimidatingly large!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

You are bad and should *blank* yourself.

Please fill in the blank with whatever.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Yay, an Earthbound LP! (Enters thread) Yay, ground floor!

Falaflame
Dec 27, 2012
why are you using shaders???

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Falaflame posted:

why are you using shaders???

I don't do the editing so I had to ask FrozenFace.

His answer:

"It was a mistake we didn't notice and it is fixed after episode 7."

Huzzah!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Okay, uh. The first video is unwatchable and you know why. You pointed it out in the op. You noticed the problem and yet you did not fix it. It's one of the easiest things to fix too. So why not fix it? Go on, ask your editing guy. I demand to hear the reasoning behind it. Else I cannot sleep.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

Okay, uh. The first video is unwatchable and you know why. You pointed it out in the op. You noticed the problem and yet you did not fix it. It's one of the easiest things to fix too. So why not fix it? Go on, ask your editing guy. I demand to hear the reasoning behind it. Else I cannot sleep.

It was not fixed in the first episode because it cannot be (to either of our knowledge). The game audio and the microphone are being recorded together. We had to set the game audio to 1 (the absolute lowest) for it to sound right. The second episode (and beyond) are completely watchable. Pinky swear.

If you know how to manipulate the audio levels to make our voices stand out above the game audio, please share! We will gladly fix it and re-upload it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The proper and traditional funny name is Dongs. You sir are not getting a sub from me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just listen to jugde reinhold. They have your best interests at heart.

Also, go to the tech support fort to get info about audio editing.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
A Youtube dump in the year of our lord two thousand fourteen.

What a time to be alive.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh dear.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Baseborn posted:

If you know how to manipulate the audio levels to make our voices stand out above the game audio, please share! We will gladly fix it and re-upload it.

Quickest way to sort out the levels? Rerecord and produce something that doesn't feel half-assed. Taking a stance of 'we know it sucks but we couldn't be bothered to fix it' - especially when you say the rest of the videos don't have that problem - doesn't make me want to watch your LP, it makes me write off the rest of your videos as garbage. Your mother was right when she said first impressions count for everything, y'know.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Just listen to jugde reinhold. They have your best interests at heart.

Also, go to the tech support fort to get info about audio editing.

Thank you. I will be sure to check that out. Any and all advice is more than welcome! We all have to start somewhere. We had a lot of issues starting out (crashes, audio, files corrupting) so some of the early stuff does have a rushed feel. We are working every day to improve. Not everything we do is Let's Plays, for what it's worth. We will be continuing on through this game and many others. Hopefully one day we can meet the approval of the community at large.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Oh hey it's been a while since we had one of these.

I have no good joke atm so I'm just going to say that everything about this is bad. Well, the Op is only kinda bad so there is that. Now let me ask you to compare your videos to some of the other content that's around here, and then ask yourself why you uploaded something lovely instead of fixing it and doing it again. Like, you watched your video back before you hit that shiny upload button, right? When the first video is as atrocius as yours, why the hell should anyone check the rest? If this seems like something you can't do, then please get out and never return.

Also, and this is just a personal note, please don't post like a wuss.

Baseborn posted:

Hopefully one day we can meet the approval of the community at large.
You don't even know how hard this makes me want to troll you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think you have enough GREEN POTION STUDIOS marks on your vids. Ffs, you have an intro, you have TWO black side bars dedicated to the logo AND you have a watermark of it. Why?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Unless you're willing to start over, I don't think you're going to find much love here.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

SSNeoman posted:

I don't think you have enough GREEN POTION STUDIOS marks on your vids. Ffs, you have an intro, you have TWO black side bars dedicated to the logo AND you have a watermark of it. Why?

When you market yourself, you either go all the way or disappear into the white noise. :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Half of it looks good and the other half is the video.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

SystemLogoff posted:

Unless you're willing to start over, I don't think you're going to find much love here.

This is about the fairest anyone is going to put it.

If you want to settle in here, lurk more and/or post in the sandcastle first.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Also, don't make video LPs of JRPGs. Most of the gameplay in those kinds of games tend to be walking around and sifting through menus, which isn't really interesting to watch.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
lol whatever you do don't go to the sandcastle unless you feel like being pigeonholed into this subforum's narrow style guide, just make your video/audio quality better and do what you want

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, don't make video LPs of JRPGs. Most of the gameplay in those kinds of games tend to be walking around and sifting through menus, which isn't really interesting to watch.

Yep. And considering the absurd length of this game in particular, there better be a lot of editing. Well, if you want to see everythign at least.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014
Since there's been such a negative response we decided the best move would be to just start over.

Fat and Useless posted:

You are bad and should *blank* yourself.

Please fill in the blank with whatever.

You are bad and should whatever yourself.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The proper and traditional funny name is Dongs. You sir are not getting a sub from me.

We'll give you dongs.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Quickest way to sort out the levels? Rerecord and produce something that doesn't feel half-assed. Taking a stance of 'we know it sucks but we couldn't be bothered to fix it' - especially when you say the rest of the videos don't have that problem - doesn't make me want to watch your LP, it makes me write off the rest of your videos as garbage. Your mother was right when she said first impressions count for everything, y'know.

You make a strong point. You say it like an rear end in a top hat, but you make a strong point.

Tin Tim posted:

Also, and this is just a personal note, please don't post like a wuss.

gently caress yourself.

SystemLogoff posted:

We're gonna take that advice. We have officially restarted.

Dr. Fetus posted:

We do not plan on doing many for sure, but we started with Earthbound because it is one of my all time favorite games. We're also doing Super Metroid.

ViggyNash posted:

Yep. And considering the absurd length of this game in particular, there better be a lot of editing. Well, if you want to see everythign at least.

"There better be editing" --- "If you want to see everything"

I'm sorry, but I don't get that. We are editing out the excess grinding, if that's what you mean.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

And yet

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568969
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621459
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634124

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

All of those have neat 3-D animations and are mostly people taking the piss out of a game live. I'm honestly not a fan of the format, the FFXIII-whatever LPs are especially good examples of a JRPG being so tedious to watch that not even live commentary can save it. That's not a slight against the commentary, mind. It's the nature of the game itself.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 13, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

As well as having far better visuals than earthbound, in at least two of those three, the people doing the LPs are interesting and/or funny, as well as being fairly experienced with commentary and LPing.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

This just in! It's still bad. Still two huge hideous sidebars, still a rather unnecessary opening jingle, and you're still not funny. Earthbound has been done to death, don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic game, but this isn't doing it justice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Aishlinn posted:

This just in! It's still bad. Still two huge hideous sidebars, still a rather unnecessary opening jingle, and you're still not funny.

It's true!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alrighty, let me help you saucy bitches.

Kill the into, kill the side bars, and kill the watermark.

Stop being retarded parrots, there's no need for people to repeat what the last person just said 3 times.

For the love of god stop reading everything as it was painful.

The screeching. Please stop it.

You aren't funny. I can't fix this, sorry.

This really should be in screenshot format unless you can stop doing the above and learn to fill dead air made by not reading everything in a horrific voice in an entertaining way. You can't and as such you'll never make any of us joyless fucks happy. Sorry.

To sum it up:

Something something Sandcastle something something Lowtax $10 something :frogout:

(You do get points for starting over though, one day you might be the LP superstars these forums deserve)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Earthbound is a stylish Dragon Quest clone, but it's a still Dragon Quest clone. It's not particularly fast, and it doesn't particularly move much. The animation in battles is just trippy backgrounds and the colored lines of psi. A lot of the dialogue is the person talking to the party standing still and delivering lines.

Tales of Vesperia and the FF13 trilogy have high-speed combat systems where player reaction are important and everything is frenetic, and they have fully-voiced and animated cutscenes. They're as far as you can get from Earthbound in JRPGs except for, maybe, Dragon Quest 1 itself.

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Fat and Useless posted:

Alrighty, let me help you saucy bitches.

Constructive criticism? On the internet? Get out of town.

Fat and Useless posted:

Kill the into, kill the side bars, and kill the watermark.

There's this thing called branding, and this thing called aspect ratio. The side bars will be toned down in future updates, but the intro and watermark are here to stay. I find it a bit strange that people here would bitch about shaders, but then demand it be all stretched and ugly. Aspect ratio is important to us. If this is enough to turn you away, then you're not the viewer we're looking for.

Fat and Useless posted:

Stop being retarded parrots, there's no need for people to repeat what the last person just said 3 times.
For the love of god stop reading everything as it was painful.
The screeching. Please stop it.

Honestly, did you watch past 5 minutes? I really don't think you did.

Fat and Useless posted:

You aren't funny. I can't fix this, sorry.

Uh huh. Cool story. To each their own. Have you got any LP's? I would sure love to watch and hear your commentary and how hilarious it is.

Fat and Useless posted:

This really should be in screenshot format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2csSPkBEKus

Fat and Useless posted:

(You do get points for starting over though, one day you might be the LP superstars these forums deserve)

I doubt it given the number of people here who seem to just like being an elitist douche. I'm sure they've all put up their own LP's that are just riveting.
(You do get points for actually saying more than "You suck, kill yourself" though)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Baseborn posted:

There's this thing called branding, and this thing called aspect ratio. The side bars will be toned down in future updates, but the intro and watermark are here to stay. I find it a bit strange that people here would bitch about shaders, but then demand it be all stretched and ugly. Aspect ratio is important to us. If this is enough to turn you away, then you're not the viewer we're looking for.

If you upload a 4:3 or otherwise non-widescreen video to Youtube, it'll automatically add the black bars on the side to fill out the video player. You don't have to do a thing! :ssh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Keep at it bro.
Youre no Gamingo but you still are quute endearing. :allears:

Falaflame
Dec 27, 2012

Baseborn posted:

I don't do the editing so I had to ask FrozenFace.

His answer:

"It was a mistake we didn't notice and it is fixed after episode 7."

Huzzah!

oh geez, more like FrozenBRAIN LOL!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Baseborn posted:

Keep one, not all three. It's kitchy, distracting, and seems amateurish. Definitely ditch the sidebar logos.

quote:

Honestly, did you watch past 5 minutes? I really don't think you did.

Uh huh. Cool story. To each their own. Have you got any LP's? I would sure love to watch and hear your commentary and how hilarious it is.

Being a Cool and Popular LP Guy isn't necessary for pointing out when someone isn't being as funny as they think they are.

quote:

I doubt it given the number of people here who seem to just like being an elitist douche. I'm sure they've all put up their own LP's that are just riveting.
(You do get points for actually saying more than "You suck, kill yourself" though)

Have you even watched the LPs that come out of SA? If people here sound elitist in judging the quality of an LP video, it's because the LPs here are the best quality. Literally the definition of elite. It started here, and it flourishes here in much higher quality than pretty much anywhere else.

We're all douches here tho. Even you. It's what you get in return for your :10bux:.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Keep at it bro.
Youre no Gamingo but you still are quute endearing. :allears:

He's making a real attempt though! :allears:

Baseborn
Aug 23, 2014

Falaflame posted:

oh geez, more like FrozenBRAIN LOL!

FrozenFace brought it up first in conversation that we should start over.

Synastren posted:

Have you even watched the LPs that come out of SA? If people here sound elitist in judging the quality of an LP video, it's because the LPs here are the best quality. Literally the definition of elite. It started here, and it flourishes here in much higher quality than pretty much anywhere else.

Yes actually. Does that matter? We heard people's complaints about quality, and started over. We're listening to you and doing what we can to improve. That being said, we're doing this with our own style and tone. I (we) didn't come here to copycat a bunch of people. If this style of LP doesn't jive with you that's okay. We are not trying desperately to be funny. We're just being ourselves. If people like it, cool. If people don't like it, that's cool too. We're not trying to prove anything to anyone. We just want to play video games and talk to people. Our channel isn't just about LP's. We do other things. Not your cup of tea? That's okay. You can always do something else.

Baseborn fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 14, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Baseborn posted:

There's this thing called branding, and this thing called aspect ratio. The side bars will be toned down in future updates, but the intro and watermark are here to stay.

If your primary concern is branding, this is not the place for you. People become well-known around here for producing good-quality videos and content, not for their flashy intros. Feel free to continue using watermarks and poo poo, but people here will repeatedly call out out for using them, and you're likely driving away a good portion of your potential audience here by using them. Unless you're really just shilling for views, in which case, have you considered ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
My personal rule for intros is that if they are five second or less I can tolerate them. I'm gonna second the axing of the sidebars with the logo in them, it's a little much and sort of distracting.

• Locked thread