Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

warcrimes posted:

This is going to sound counter intuitive, but as inconsistent as he is, he's our only consistent big play maker. Yes, we need a legit #1 receiver and I actually wanted Sammy Watkins(Mack was my 1b choice, though, and I'm very happy with him) but this is what we have to work with and I sure as hell am not going to rely on pre-season-superstar/disappears-in-the-real-season Butler over Moore. I also think the lack of receiving talent makes Carr's debut even better, in retrospect.

I mean, you can keep your hateboner for Moore, but like I said earlier, we have like a half dozen much bigger issues than our WR depth.
Honestly, my problem with Moore isn't so much the talent (I do think he's a little overrated in general just because his skillset isn't a rare one in today's league by any means, but whatever, he's been productive since coming into the league) as how Raiders management sees the talent. The key thing to remember I think is that Moore was on the roster bubble coming into pre-season, and I'd have to say he's probably the last man in (Jones/Streater/Holmes are no-brainers, Butler was on the bubble too but his spot is mostly to do with "young + potential" rather than what he can do now).

It feels like he's been kept along as a case of "well, he's talented enough to keep, we'll find something for him to do". The problem right now is that the limitations of a small receiving corps and the scheme that Olson seems to tending towards, Moore's often being forced into a role that he just can't fill as that screen/slant, open-field player. That player isn't on the roster right now, and if they're gonna try to make Moore that guy, it's not going to work. It's one of those cases where a team doesn't know how to play with its toys. Moore's great at stretching the field, but that doesn't seem to be a priority in Olsen's scheme (and honestly, James Jones is probably better for that anyway, and there weren't many situations where Olson sent 2 WRs downfield that I saw on Sunday).

The FO numbers are misleading - even allowing for the sample size, I did go back to the tape and Moore wasn't as bad as I remembered, at least a couple of those targets were Carr throwing the ball away for instance - but what I think is true that Moore, if used in the way that the team seems to want to use him, is a net-negative. That worries me a lot, and while you're right that we have issues everywhere (I desperately wanted Watkins), I think it's one that's a quiet killer right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is that the side salad for the Big Texan?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

Is that the side salad for the Big Texan?

Just looked that up, I'm a big fan of protein and all but holy poo poo :stare:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chris de Sperg posted:

The FO numbers are misleading - even allowing for the sample size, I did go back to the tape and Moore wasn't as bad as I remembered, at least a couple of those targets were Carr throwing the ball away for instance - but what I think is true that Moore, if used in the way that the team seems to want to use him, is a net-negative. That worries me a lot, and while you're right that we have issues everywhere (I desperately wanted Watkins), I think it's one that's a quiet killer right now.

I don't disagree with anything you posted but I'd also point out that the play-calling in that game was specifically tailored for a rookie QB in his debut on the road vs. a top 5 front seven and being protected by a rebuilt, unsettled OL. Basically, the most conservative play-calling I've ever seen. I expect the Raiders to open it up a bit more, Watt allowing, at home this week v. the Texans and going forward per Carr's comfort level.

This isn't a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy and we'll see Moore return to his normal role of vertical threat. To be honest, I'm more concerned with consistency from Holmes, who's supposed to be our #2(and not from anything this past week).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rasczak posted:

Just looked that up, I'm a big fan of protein and all but holy poo poo :stare:

To be fair, 72 ounces is the pre cook weight

e: And are these not the most Texas people you've ever seen?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
There's nothing wrong with a big-ol-steak.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

I'm from the land of food that will loving kill you on contact with your body and I wouldn't eat that.

Holy poo poo!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@JaysonBraddock
Indy loses another OLB for the year RT @mchappell51: #colts place LB Cam Johnson (triceps) on IR. Release QB Jeff Matthews from PS

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

warcrimes posted:

I don't disagree with anything you posted but I'd also point out that the play-calling in that game was specifically tailored for a rookie QB in his debut on the road vs. a top 5 front seven and being protected by a rebuilt, unsettled OL. Basically, the most conservative play-calling I've ever seen. I expect the Raiders to open it up a bit more, Watt allowing, at home this week v. the Texans and going forward per Carr's comfort level.

This isn't a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy and we'll see Moore return to his normal role of vertical threat. To be honest, I'm more concerned with consistency from Holmes, who's supposed to be our #2(and not from anything this past week).
I definitely agree that Sunday was aberrationally conservative; the one thing that kinda gave me pause for thought was that Carr led the FBS last year in screen passes, and with how he's capable of throwing bullets I could definitely see the team making it a point of emphasis long-term. But you are right in that it's way too early to start panicking too hard about it I guess.

Apparently Holmes wasn't even targeted this week and I do barely remember him being on the field, lots of weird poo poo going on with this offense atm

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Good news!

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/nfl-is-about-to-lose-its-fight-to-save-tv-blackout-rules/

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Clemson reunion incoming:

https://twitter.com/drocksthaparty/status/509347230504210434

quote:

Report: Tajh Boyd is in Buffalo working out for the Bills

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, the Chiefs cut Daniel Sorensen. He's a rookie safety out of BYU and kind of sucked, but he was their third safety last week and on the field a decent amount--made a couple of dumb plays I think but really so did loving everyone.

They had to cut someone because they lose a roster spot with Bowe coming off of suspension but I didn't expect it to be him.

e: Also they officially sent Derrick Johnson and Mike DeVito to IR and signed Kevin Vickerson & promoted something called Jerry Franklin (LB) from the practice squad.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 9, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Until the NFL uses this as an excuse to move all games to PPV

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Not likely. I mean, this is just my own assertion but I think they've grown to big to move game broadcasts off network television. Not to mention the soonest they could do anything like that is nearly a decade away anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Burn every thing to the ground, I just had a terrible image of Jerry Jones receiving oral...

http://deadspin.com/woman-who-took-jerry-jones-pics-files-lawsuit-alleging-1632704685

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

News: Nick Foles is the lowest rated QB by PFF for the first week.

Views: I knew he was bad but jesus christ, he's lower than Austin Davis and Geno Smith :negative:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Views: I knew he was bad but jesus christ, he's lower than Austin Davis and Geno Smith :negative:

this post is gonna feel real silly when Austin Davis wins the MVP award 2 times in his 14 year career of funslingin

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

I enjoy this on multiple levels

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Shinjobi posted:

The only team the Cowboys have a chance against in the first four weeks is the Rams...and I'm really not feeling that confident about that either.

0-16, baby! Eat a pile of flaming dog poo poo, Jerry Jones!:allears:

They'll probably take at least a couple games against Washington and the Giants, who look just as bad if not worse. At least the Cowboys have a good OL and running game until Murray breaks again.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Wait was foles really that bad? I wasn't able to watch the Eagles game, but outside a bad first half his stats didn't look that bad

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
I don't agree with that rating for Foles. The first half was definitely a poo poo show though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Realtalk I teared up a bit listening to that.

Life owns.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Wait was foles really that bad? I wasn't able to watch the Eagles game, but outside a bad first half his stats didn't look that bad

Well, he made a number of mind numbing plays, such as throwing at a Safety in the endzone that wasn't even near a receiver. He also held onto the ball like 3 seconds longer than he should have on every loving snap, leading to sacks/the pass rush getting to him. I know he held onto the ball a little longer than most last year, but it was brutal how indecisive he was. He rallied a bit that second half, but keep in mind that the throw to Maclin was completely botched coverage and a lot of his stat line owes to that. I hope thats his worst performance of the season obviously, but its scary thinking about the possibility of it not being one.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Uhhhh, so no one has posted anything but apparently Jerry Jones got charged with sexual assault over those photos??

SI.com just tweeted it or some poo poo. The gently caress is going on right now.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Jimmie Ward just tweeted that he was not diagnosed with a concussion after leaving the game Sunday and Vic Fangio said in a radio interview today that Chris Culliver is 'making good progress' in getting cleared from his. Tremaine Brock is 'day-to-day' with a toe sprain.

Thank god none of them sound too serious, I was worried the 'everyone in a Niners position group dies' curse had shifted to DBs this season.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Realtalk I teared up a bit listening to that.

Life owns.

Eating wings and watching football is cool and good and so is that dude.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A Man and his dog posted:

Uhhhh, so no one has posted anything but apparently Jerry Jones got charged with sexual assault over those photos??

SI.com just tweeted it or some poo poo. The gently caress is going on right now.

Scroll up a little. It's a civil suit for whatever that's worth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dexo posted:

Burn every thing to the ground, I just had a terrible image of Jerry Jones receiving oral...

http://deadspin.com/woman-who-took-jerry-jones-pics-files-lawsuit-alleging-1632704685

Jerry Jones senility is going to be ten times more fun than Al Davis' s, isn't it?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

KC Fans, is there any truth to Knile Davis getting shipped off to Baltimore or is it the kind of nonsense you always hear after an important player is out for a season around the league? I don't know how much that trade would make sense, really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KC Fans, is there any truth to Knile Davis getting shipped off to Baltimore or is it the kind of nonsense you always hear after an important player is out for a season around the league? I don't know how much that trade would make sense, really.

poo poo, first I've heard of it. They'd probably try to rob Baltimore and ask for like a 2nd or something because I think they really like Knile, although if a trade did happen I'm sure he'd be pretty good in Kubiak's offense. As long as he can keep the fumbles down of course, which has always been his problem.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The same type rumor is being floated about Bilal Powell being shipped to Baltimore. From what I can tell the source is Incarcerated Bob... so pretty much complete fantasy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

There was a rumor earlier that Arthur Brown was being shopped by the Ravens. KC trading them a RB for an ILB makes sense for both teams so I guess that's why this Knile Davis rumor is going on

I hope it happens despite being excited about Knile Davis

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wait, Incarcerated Bob is still around? And people still listen to him? :psyduck:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Bort Bortles posted:

Bortles2Hurns

Hello new user name

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

bratwurst is not nearly as good as the people of wisconsin make it out to be.

If they gave out Pulitzer prizes for being wrong we could call you Robert Frost

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lol pff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

You are in the NFC East and you have McCoy.

You will be fine.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Dexo posted:

lol

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I see a pile of gross poo poo that will destroy your insides, is this a metaphor for the Packers oline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It would be cool if Goodell is so desperate for good publicity that he forces Jerry out a la Silver to Sterling.

• Locked thread