Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean ok there was a cult of personality sure, but he wasnt fired because he kept winning and was deemed essential to attract large donations, which is incidentally what Old Main was mainly interested at the time because it was basically rebuilding the campus and buying professional schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

swickles posted:

I have always maintained that its the Cult of Paterno over the cult of football and winning. Even when Penn State was bad, Paterno was never even questioned. No one put him in the hot seat. If it truly was about winning and football above all else, Pateron would have been fired or most likely forced to retire over a decade ago. It was always a cult of personality.

This is not even true at all. I went to Penn State when they were really bad. The majority of students I spoke with wanted Paterno to be fired or retire. People began to question in 2001, and it really picked up during the 3-9 2003 season and continued through 4-7 2004. After the season, Curley and Spanier went over to his house to convince him to retire. He was able to talk them into letting him coach in 2005. We'll never really know what was said here. Then after the miracle 2005 turnaround, with the white outs and the Zombie Nation, a new generation of students was indoctrinated into the cult of Paterno. At that point, I think people were content to let him ride it out until he decided he wanted to retire, but by about 2010, we hoped he would retire sooner rather than later.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Did they want him to retire because he was an old, out-of-touch piece of poo poo or because he got really bad at football stuff?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kim Jong Il posted:

Of course no one's going to cover up pedophilia. They have no criminal incentive to not cover up academic or amateurism violations.

Well yeah, that's why the NCAA exists. To disincentivise stuff that's cheating, but not illegal.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Did they want him to retire because he was an old, out-of-touch piece of poo poo or because he got really bad at football stuff?

No one knew he was a piece of poo poo until after the scandal, so it wasn't really relevant.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Komet posted:

No one knew he was a piece of poo poo until after the scandal, so it wasn't really relevant.

ahahahahahahahahahaha yeah no

Maybe its because my parents were faculty but Paterno being a piece of poo poo stories were legendary. He once told a bunch of female graduates at the Honors college to get on their knees in front of the Dean because that was how they were gonna earn their money.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Well, I stand corrected.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Joepa was a legendary pos. That was part of his "charm".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

euphronius posted:

Yeah Joepa was a legendary pos. That was part of his "charm".

Yeah for years there was an undercurrent of "He's either going to die or finally get caught saying something terrible and retire"

No one really expected child rape. The going bet was that he was gonna hit a player like Woody Hayes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I will forever be proud of having the privilege of attending the game where Paterno poo poo in his pants right before halftime and then came out for the second half with new pants.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember the time he called basketball a "Jew sport" but I think everyone was too confused to react.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I will forever be proud of having the privilege of attending the game where Paterno poo poo in his pants right before halftime and then came out for the second half with new pants.

My favorite paterno story/youtube

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sash! posted:

I remember the time he called basketball a "Jew sport" but I think everyone was too confused to react.

Lol it was like 85 years ago. Joepa was old.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

euphronius posted:

Lol it was like 85 years ago. Joepa was old.

Yeah back when he was a kid men had sex with boys all the time too. Socrates, Leonidas, Pericles, etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey yall just a daily reminder that football is literally more important than making sure your campus isn't an all you can rape kid buffet

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ahahahahahahahahahaha yeah no

Maybe its because my parents were faculty but Paterno being a piece of poo poo stories were legendary. He once told a bunch of female graduates at the Honors college to get on their knees in front of the Dean because that was how they were gonna earn their money.

As a student, I never heard stories like that. It was always something like "dumb student cut off JoePa's wife, so JoePa got out of the car and cursed the kid out" type of stories. I never would have suspected he was hiding child rape, but it was known that you don't gently caress with JoePa.

misterKeith
Feb 9, 2014

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.

Butthead posted:

As a student, I never heard stories like that. It was always something like "dumb student cut off JoePa's wife, so JoePa got out of the car and cursed the kid out" type of stories. I never would have suspected he was hiding child rape, but it was known that you don't gently caress with JoePa.

As a kid who grew up in State College, I can confirm.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Armani posted:

The statue of the little boy in the upper left is an unfortunate thing to put into the frame of the shot

ahahahahahaha holy poo poo

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Armani posted:

The statue of the little boy in the upper left is an unfortunate thing to put into the frame of the shot
It's okay, the JoePa statue is looking the other way

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Butthead posted:

but it was known that you don't gently caress with JoePa.

See this is the problem and this is why this school deserved the death penalty. I don't know if it was out of the normal jurisdiction of the NCAA. But PSU was never going to take the appropriate measures to fix this issue as we can see from the reaction from people involved with the school still. Football should be abolished there I am sorry folks who are fans but you are pretty much a monster if you think having a football program is more important than the health and well being of your community. Like seriously take a step back.

Komet posted:

This is not even true at all. I went to Penn State when they were really bad. The majority of students I spoke with wanted Paterno to be fired or retire. People began to question in 2001, and it really picked up during the 3-9 2003 season and continued through 4-7 2004. After the season, Curley and Spanier went over to his house to convince him to retire. He was able to talk them into letting him coach in 2005. We'll never really know what was said here. Then after the miracle 2005 turnaround, with the white outs and the Zombie Nation, a new generation of students was indoctrinated into the cult of Paterno. At that point, I think people were content to let him ride it out until he decided he wanted to retire, but by about 2010, we hoped he would retire sooner rather than later.

The fact that they had to ask him to retire and he said no is really indicative of the problem. I don't think you realise what you are actually writing here is proving the point.

Vire fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 14, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Armani posted:

holy poo poo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vire posted:

The fact that they had to ask him to retire and he said no is really indicative of the problem.

What? People are asked to retire at jobs all the time, say no, and basically dare the company to fire them. Then the company doesn't and they go on doing a lovely job.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
He was a football coach, the fact that they came at it not as "firing" but as "asking to retire" is really indicative of the problem imo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

football fuckerman posted:

He was a football coach, the fact that they came at it not as "firing" but as "asking to retire" is really indicative of the problem imo

Lots of coaches go that way, particularly old, respected coaches where they want to avoid an ugly scene. Lloyd Carr at Michigan was convinced to retire rather than be fired, Mac Brown at Texas retired rather than getting fired. Bobby Bowden forced them to fire him, and a shitstorm ensued.

You're going out of your way to invent something to be mad about.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
what is this mad? I do not feel any mad

no you're right, i was just saying that's what Vire was going for

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He was an employee (position and title irrelevant) and it happens all the time.

You never worked somewhere with an old incompetent guy they repeatedly ask to accept an early retirement and he's just like "nah" and keeps on trucking?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I was arguing that position and title are relevant, that I think you'll find college football coaches get fired a lot more frequently than the general population

and to your second question, no, we've never worked together

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Have we reached the point yet where more people rape/get raped in college than get a job that requires a degree afterwards? I think we may have, being completely non-sarcastic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radbot posted:

Have we reached the point yet where more people rape/get raped in college than get a job that requires a degree afterwards? I think we may have, being completely non-sarcastic.

It's really hard to even know, to be honest. Schools way, way underreport it for obvious reasons. One of the people I work with is doing a lot of research on it and its pretty depressing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said in another thread I think that on campuses, all sexual contact should be preceded by a written agreement or waiver and I'm not joking.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

I said in another thread I think that on campuses, all sexual contact should be preceded by a written agreement or waiver and I'm not joking.

JJReddickAbortionContract.jpg

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Nah. Just do a pinky swear. Also use one of those condoms with teeth so if the guy tries anything he's got to have something surgically removed from his penis.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

euphronius posted:

Contract signed under duress, get in jail

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Sash! posted:

well, in Pennsylvania, it actually was...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Sphas

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't understand why it's a good idea for colleges to have an entire judicial process separate from their municipality, and why college punishments are like suspension or expulsion instead of jail or probation

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

football fuckerman posted:

I don't understand why it's a good idea for colleges to have an entire judicial process separate from their municipality, and why college punishments are like suspension or expulsion instead of jail or probation

Because colleges can have rules for student conduct that differ from municipal law that applies to everyone, students or not. Cheating on a test doesn't violate any laws, but colleges would like to have a way of keeping their students from doing it.

I don't really see what this has to do with PSU's NCAA sanctions.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The first picture commemorates the moment when Jay explained to Joe that it was possible for a man and boy to have inappropriate sexual relations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

http://www.centredaily.com/2014/09/15/4355859_penn-state-fans-plan-joe-out-for.html?sp=/99/264/&rh=1

Penn State fans plan ‘Joe-out’ for UMass game Saturday

By Lori Falce

Roll up the cuffs on your khaki pants. Put on your dark glasses. Tie on your black shoes. There’s going to be a “Joe-out.”

Wait, what’s a Joe-out?

Laurie Anne Stannell, a fourth-generation Penn State grad, wanted to see something happen to show support for late former head coach Joe Paterno. It had to be something peaceful and happy, and something that, first and foremost, said “Joe.”

Beaver Stadium has a long history of white-outs to rally the troops for big games. This year, it will be the Oct. 25 game against intense rival Ohio State. In 2011, in the heat of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, the blue outs started, with fans showing support, and raising money, for victims of child sexual abuse. The 2014 blue-out will be Nov. 29 against Michigan State.

Ugh

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, the Cult of Paterno has really been culled in light of everything that's happened.

quote:

Roll up the cuffs on your khaki pants. Put on your dark glasses. Tie on your black shoes. There’s going to be a “Joe-out.”

Wait, what’s a Joe-out?

Laurie Anne Stannell, a fourth-generation Penn State grad, wanted to see something happen to show support for late former head coach Joe Paterno. It had to be something peaceful and happy, and something that, first and foremost, said “Joe.”

How fans do it is up to them, she said. A cardboard figure of the longtime coach, a Joe mask, a JVP hat. For many on social media, there are plans for things with the number 409, the total wins for Paterno’s coaching career before 111 victories were taken away by the NCAA as part of Penn State’s post-Sandusky penalties.

For some, it’s the kind of opportunity they have been awaiting.

“He will forever stand as a great founder of our university, shoulder to shoulder with Atherton, Beaver, Pattee, Sparks and more. There will be other coaches, other presidents, other trustees and great men in Penn State’s future, but that does not mean we should forget this one man, who made Penn State great. My family and I eagerly await the future — but we will never forget to honor Joe,” said Susan Beck Wilson.

http://www.centredaily.com/2014/09/15/4355859_penn-state-fans-plan-joe-out-for.html?rh=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ive been talking to people about town about Joe because of this thread etc and the idea I get is that the following assumption is not consensus:

Joe Paterno engaged in criminal conspiracy to cover up Sandusky's crimes.

In fact there is quite a lot a doubt about it. So when you see stuff like the above, remember that most if not all of these people are giving Joe the benefit of the doubt.

• Locked thread