Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

People's opinions are shaped by the people around them. If people at PSU believe that protecting the football program is worth covering up stuff like child rape then things like child rape will keep happening and keep being covered up.

I guess those people will go to jail too then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Frackie Robinson posted:

Indeed, and if were lucky only a couple dozen kids will get raped before that happens! Small price to pay to protect the program.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Frackie Robinson posted:

As long as people go to jail after brutally raping children everything is ok guys.

PSU has a great future ahead, as evidenced by the current state of the football program. And all the pathetic PSU community wants to do is look back and stare into the swirling void that is/was the last number of years.

Its sad, dumb, pathetic, and deserving of every ounce of ridicule now and into the future if this insane ideology is allowed to perpetuate at the university.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 19, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like that you are less concerned about being mistaken for defending a pedophile than you are for being a Penn State fan.

Possibly because I've been very clear about not defending Joe Paterno or the Penn State administration in terms of culpability and have couched my dissent on the NCAA's action in terms of them following their own rules. But, by all mean, please try and turn this into me somehow defending Paterno et al. :allears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Talked to a lot more people and opinion is really mixed.

The most common opinion I get now w/r/t Joe is "it is time to move on."

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

euphronius posted:

Talked to a lot more people and opinion is really mixed.

The most common opinion I get now w/r/t Joe is "it is time to move on."

Ehh. I'm not sure people will ever move on. Most of the students have a huge persecution complex and they are not going to shut up unless absolutely everything is returned.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I mean in terms of "Paterno's Legacy" if you think people are just going to suddenly stop liking him, then I think you're going to be really disappointed. At least, the really ardent JoePa supporters. Cognitive Dissonance is really strong and for those people, its going to take a long time, if ever, for them to actively assign him blame -- even if he's really culpable for the situation. Outside of them, I think his legacy has been permanently tarnished.

If your concern is that "this could happen again!" I get why you might think that, but really, the pieces that caused this to happen were honestly pretty unique in terms of replicability. That's not to say that major college athletics/sports organizations aren't actively involved in covering up a lot of terrible poo poo -- have you been paying attention to the NFL lately? -- but the ability to engage in a two-decade-long cover up of systematic child abuse by a prominent employee isn't something I can see happening there or anywhere again.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 19, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

johnfw50 posted:

Ehh. I'm not sure people will ever move on. Most of the students have a huge persecution complex and they are not going to shut up unless absolutely everything is returned.

There will likely always be a little bit of a grudge in those regards, but 20 years from now, assuming we still play football, I doubt it will be A Thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If your concern is that "this could happen again!" I get why you might think that, but really, the pieces that caused this to happen were honestly pretty unique in terms of replicability.

Agreed. I can't imagine a coach ever becoming as revered and powerful as Joe Pa again in today's climate, at Penn State or anywhere else. He was pretty much the last of his breed. Find one active coach that you think is going to be at the same place for 25+ years.

The fact that people are still banging the drum for Joe Pa even when the sanctions have been lifted proves that this isn't really about football. The football team is going to be fine, and people still aren't happy.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 19, 2014

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Frackie Robinson posted:

Agreed. I can't imagine a coach ever becoming as revered and powerful as Joe Pa again in today's climate, at Penn State or anywhere else. He was pretty much the last of his breed. Find one active coach that you think is going to be at the same place for 25+ years.

The fact that people are still banging the drum for Joe Pa even when the sanctions have been lifted proves that this isn't really about football. The football team is going to be fine, and people still aren't happy.

O'Brien's Lions and whatever they're trying to do to make Franklin Dear Leader (Franklion? Haven't been in the Penn State Clothes store this semester yet) just doesn't have the same Freudian daddy issue over/undertones.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Frackie Robinson posted:

Snyder although he retired in the middle of it. And he's probably pretty close in his own way, although K State is a lot smaller school and not as big of a deal in general.

I can't imagine he doesn't get anything he wants though, the damned stadium is named after him--well his family, but really him.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The NCAA was never organized to do that to begin with -- that's the entire point. The Sandusky Case was outside of the purview of the organization and they used an extrajudicial method to inflict the punishment. The NCAA was organized to assure fairness in athletic competition among student athletes. This case involved zero active student athletes.

The ncaa has no jurisdiction over the coaches? They can do anything they want? Kinda weird.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shes Not Impressed posted:

O'Brien's Lions and whatever they're trying to do to make Franklin Dear Leader (Franklion? Haven't been in the Penn State Clothes store this semester yet) just doesn't have the same Freudian daddy issue over/undertones.

This is all I could find so far:

https://pennstateroom.com/penn-state-apparel/19-hey-its-franklin-tshirt-navy.html

https://pennstateroom.com/penn-state-apparel/22-james-gang-tshirt-navy.html

https://pennstateroom.com/penn-state-for-the-home/2103-sds-desgin-penn-state-franklion-euro-vinyl-decal.html?search_query=franklin&results=4

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

effectual posted:

The ncaa has no jurisdiction over the coaches? They can do anything they want? Kinda weird.

That's not what I meant and that was pretty clear. Especially when I went on to note all of the cases of coach conduct w/r/t things that don't pertain to the sport itself that they don't do jackshit about.

But to be more specific: the conduct involved in the Penn State case should not have been punished in the same fashion as you punish rule-breakers (e.g., scholarship reductions, etc) but should, instead focus on the individuals involved. If the NCAA wanted to go after Peterno et al (banning them from life, forcing disassociation, etc) I am perfectly fine with that. They've never really done either though. By punishing PSU as an institution in the same way you'd punish a rule break, but without the same due-process procedures that everyone who's a member of the NCAA has agreed to and codifying, you're not sending the message you want to send and you're not going to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 19, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Frackie Robinson posted:

Find one active coach that you think is going to be at the same place for 25+ years.

Beamer is already on that list, Troy's Larry Blakeney is one season off (though he might retire after this year), and Snyder needs maybe two more.

I do agree in principle, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Basil Hayden posted:

Beamer is already on that list, Troy's Larry Blakeney is one season off (though he might retire after this year), and Snyder needs maybe two more.

I do agree in principle, though.

Yeah I probably should have added an under age 60 qualifier. Stoops maybe, but even he probably won't be allowed to stay around for long if the game passes him by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

Yeah I probably should have added an under age 60 qualifier. Stoops maybe, but even he probably won't be allowed to stay around for long if the game passes him by.

Firing Stoops would be messy as hell.

• Locked thread