Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

I just read it on wikipedia like everyone else

I read wikipedia and there was nothing about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks of her as Emma Watson's evil twin?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyways since this thread has been open I've listened to all three of her albums and I like her second record the best.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I read wikipedia and there was nothing about that.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/17/5814038/heres-why-lana-del-rey-is-so-controversial

This has something about it, but there was another article with more info that i can't find.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/17/5814038/heres-why-lana-del-rey-is-so-controversial

This has something about it, but there was another article with more info that i can't find.

Ah so people are mad because they are idiots that believe the music industry has any sort of purity or authenticity and they don't know that every single person that has released a record on a label are complete sellouts.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Because she is freaking lame!!!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Ah so people are mad because they are idiots that believe the music industry has any sort of purity or authenticity and they don't know that every single person that has released a record on a label are complete sellouts.

Well yes but her facade is remarkably thinner than most. Also that she is bad sry

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
i think that it is super easy to get basically any genre you want at any level of exposure with the touch of three buttons. i don't have any feelings about a lot of pop artists because i'm listening to my own stuff and that's probably what most people in their 20s are doing. why complain about whoever this thread is about when you can pull up some jazz/whatever and stream it to your car stereo

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

Bass Face forever, my goons

good goddamn hanson turned uggo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

i think that it is super easy to get basically any genre you want at any level of exposure with the touch of three buttons. i don't have any feelings about a lot of pop artists because i'm listening to my own stuff and that's probably what most people in their 20s are doing. why complain about whoever this thread is about when you can pull up some jazz/whatever and stream it to your car stereo

I have satellite radio.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

👖 good song

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Lorde = Autistic
Adele = Fat
Charli XCIX or whatever = Smells like Iggy Azalea's rear end

It's all about that bass hoe from Haim

Bass Face forever, my goons

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Drink Cheerwine posted:

good goddamn hanson turned uggo

That's not true, they've always been ugly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
She's gone on record saying she likes recording and production better than actually having on-stage presence. I think that's fair enough.

Her demos are actually really impressive.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gonna marry lana del ray pinto

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

happyhippy posted:

People make fun out of her live performances as she would go onstage, cry, flubb it, and then claimed it was a mystery illness.

It was a gastric ulcer.

To answer the OP: Lana Del Rey has a degree in Philosophy & Metaphysics. She is literally a genius; not because of the degree, but simply because she is. Her work (Tropico especially) deals with the fundamental Subject-Object problem and how to transcend it along a vertical, spiritual axis; ideas that are not appreciated in today's hypermaterialistic culture. The dehumanization of Woman as the eternal Other by the collective Subject is endemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kyOuRMADik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezCQDzWcwSY

And really, what other major label artist makes music like this in 2014?

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 9, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't care if she sounds better in the studio because

I don't go to live shows because

rock and roll is dead :spergin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ElGroucho posted:

I don't care if she sounds better in the studio because

I don't go to live shows because

rock and roll is dead :spergin:

same, except i only go to live shows for aging 80s bands like depeche mode and pet shop boys

i listen to most music on the train/at the gym and her studio music is pretty good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, I've heard the heart of rock and roll is still beatin

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Plenty of major label artists make lovely music.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Yates posted:

Plenty of major label artists make lovely music.

American Dad avatar means your opinion is auto-garbage, sry

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

zoux posted:

Actually, I've heard the heart of rock and roll is still beatin

It is, my local Thai food place has a signed Huey Lewis photo from like 5 years ago.

The only people who seriously claim rock is dead is out of touch geezers like Gene Simmons. There's more good music, and availability of good music, than ever before right now thanks to computers and the internet making recording and distributing music so easy. Pretty much my favorite thing about the modern world.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

same, except i only go to live shows for aging 80s bands like depeche mode and pet shop boys

You are cool. I like you.

(Pet Shop Boys are still releasing their best material, 80s band my rear end.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HD DAD posted:

You are cool. I like you.

(Pet Shop Boys are still releasing their best material, 80s band my rear end.)

Well, started in the 80s and still have a strong 80s sound. I agree tho that they're still making their better stuff. Electric was one of their better albums

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgijyM4PIkQ

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
She ain't no St. Vincent or Joanna Newsom, that's for sure. Ys is a pretty good drat album, whereas I can't remember any of Lana Del Ray's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGoNCvoZuYA

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Lana Del Rey Nudes

Oh no you didn'

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

in addition to being a consummate metaphysician, lana also loves science and space travel more than feminism and played her song about video games at NASA, do you love your future waifu now goons

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

It was a gastric ulcer.

To answer the OP's question: Lana Del Rey has a degree in Philosophy & Metaphysics. She is literally a genius; not because of the degree, but simply because she is. Her work (Tropico especially) deals with the fundamental Subject-Object problem and how to transcend it along a vertical, spiritual axis; ideas that are not appreciated in today's hypermaterialistic culture. The dehumanization of Woman as the eternal Other by the collective Subject is endemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kyOuRMADik

Lol that sounds like some dumb bullshit a skirt would make up. Who gives a gently caress about Lana Del Rey anyway? The Sleigh Bells are way better.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

She had an album under her real name and it failed horribly, and her daddy paid to have all mention of it scrubbed from existence and then to have a pr company reinvent her to make her more edgy and hip and with it, and now we get the abortion we have now.

this.

plus she's boring as well, drone drone drone.

I think lorde is loving overrated as well, oh wow it's a 17yo girl, who the gently caress cares, she's boring as hell too and a pretentious little poo poo.

foil > royals

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I like her. then again Im Gay so my endorsement probably hurts her cause

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
lana del ray gives me a boner so I like her

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

lana del ray gives me a boner so I like her

She is an amazing artist, if you watch her videos with the sound off.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Costello Jello posted:

It is, my local Thai food place has a signed Huey Lewis photo from like 5 years ago.

The only people who seriously claim rock is dead is out of touch geezers like Gene Simmons. There's more good music, and availability of good music, than ever before right now thanks to computers and the internet making recording and distributing music so easy. Pretty much my favorite thing about the modern world.

it's more because the sound evolved especially all the weird indie stuff.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Costello Jello posted:

When ever I think about rock and roll behind dead or alive I remember this song's lyrics.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwOvquoTDts

"Rock and roll will never die, but it deserves to."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

She is an amazing artist, if you watch her videos with the sound off.

eh, I like her songs but I don't pretend they have any real artistic merit

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

etalian posted:

it's more because the sound evolved especially all the weird indie stuff.

My point is that trends don't matter, because you can find new groups that sound just like 70s, 80s etc hard rock if you want to, it's just not what is popular. But what's popular doesn't matter when you can find it all anyway.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana Del Rey has a degree in Philosophy & Metaphysics. She is literally a genius;

haha

9goats dead
Mar 25, 2010

BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! EXCITING!
lana del own, in my opinion. ultraviolence +

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

dude with the fro smokin in BG is best

• Locked thread