Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Who here ever ran away from home as a child? Either seriously, on a whim, as a kid, or as a teenager, who ever just decided to leave one day?

I ran away from home several times. As a young child in elementary school, I did it by accident, just kind of taking off and heading in one direction until I realized I was lost and the police picked me up and brought me back home. As a teenager I did it regularly, because I lived in a rural area and wanted to go to the city. In these cases, it wasn't really "running away" since I had permission to go, I was just like "yo, mom, I'm bored, gonna go up to the city and sleep by the railroad tracks for a few days". The culminating moment of this was when I got bored at community college at the age of 17 and just went downtown and took a Greyhound Bus to Arizona.

It was fun times, actually. Its awesome that I could get it all out of my system so I could point back to those glory years, being 35 and living in my mother's basement.

Also: its kind of funny how much the entire "kids running away" thing changed. Back in the '60s, we had kids mad about cleaning their rooms taking off with a bindle for light hearted frolics. Then sometime in the '90s we moved on to gay teens with bigoted parents taking off to the big city to smoke meth. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the meth just makes you gayer.. thats the real tragedy of it all

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

gently caress the ROW posted:

the meth just makes you gayer.. thats the real tragedy of it all

I wouldn't know, I'm from the non-Meth part of Oregon.

Also, 180% heterosexual.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

glowing-fish posted:

I wouldn't know, I'm from the non-Meth part of Oregon.

Also, 180% heterosexual.

Cocaine will make you gay too, and so will anime. Don't mix anime and hard drugs folks

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i got kicked out a couple of times

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
My sister did once.. Naked.. While she was 3 or 4 years old.

Thank god we had good neighbours.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Virtually none of those are running away dude sorry

I snuck out at night like a million times I guess

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I grew up in public housing, aka: the Projects. My brother and I ran away from home when he was 5 and I was 3, we were gone long enough for our mother to know and take notice. We were spotted by someone else in the building who in turn called our mom. She wasn't that worried, though- our building was built in such a way that it was surrounded by a moat of sidewalk. She knew we weren't going to get very far, since you know, we weren't allowed to cross the street...

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Yeah. They're still looking for me.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Yeah, I ran away a couple times when I was 14 and slept in abandoned buildings in downtown Toledo and broke into church basements at night. A weird dude took me in for the night once, without first consulting with his wife, and she was clearly pissed off at him, at me and at the world. The next day, he dropped me off in some random spot and handed me a ziplock bag with like $2.50 in change in it. I also spent a night at a homeless shelter where I told the staff that both my parents had died and I had no other family, so now I was wandering the earth all alone. I left early in the morning before social services could get there.

Altogether I was gone for 2 weeks or so and it sucked and I don't know why I did it really.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Splatmaster posted:

I grew up in public housing, aka: the Projects. My brother and I ran away from home when he was 5 and I was 3, we were gone long enough for our mother to know and take notice. We were spotted by someone else in the building who in turn called our mom. She wasn't that worried, though- our building was built in such a way that it was surrounded by a moat of sidewalk. She knew we weren't going to get very far, since you know, we weren't allowed to cross the street...

When I was 4 or 5, a group of older neighbor kids (who were themselves only 10-12, but they certainly seemed older) took me and another neighborhood kid out for a hike in the mountains. It probably wasn't much more than 3 or 4 miles from our house, but it seemed like a gigantic distance at the time.

When we returned back to our cul-de-sac, there were many police cars there and my mother was freaking out. The mother of the older boys was just shrugging, because this was the early 1980s and kids were still free-range and wandered off like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
You should have stayed away

All of you

• Locked thread