Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ka0 posted:

I can't believe all of this crap began with some dude posting some e/n tumblr about his cheating gf who made some poo poo game about depression.

What I can't believe is that people didn't already know Kotaku, Ben 'this controller feels like fondling a tit' Kuchera and pretty much 95% of the gaming 'press' were full of poo poo and had their heads up their own rear end before. Like we didn't have the Kane and Lynch firing with Jeff Gersman, Dorito-Pope, the firing at Eurogamer, the whole ME 3 fiasco, Aliens: Colonial Marines and other stuff I'm probably forgetting about to point that out. Stuff that involved a lot of money. And showed how the industry is completely incestuous, full of cliques where your rear end can get fired if you step off message, even if your intentions are to protect your readers. Now this is the line in the sand? This stupid bullshit?

Oh well, at least Phil Fish quit video-games again. Maybe before this is over he'll come back and quit again.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Solstice posted:

I would not let a 9 or 11 year old read a gaming website unsupervised.

No that's not gbs 2.0 enough let's try it again..

All your base are belong to cuck... for teh lulz!!! :dancingbanana:

Kids don't go to gaming websites. They go to pewdiepie's youtube channel and watch him watch old videos of his own recordings and give him thousands upon thousands of dollars because kids don't know what loving ad block is.

reignonyourparade posted:

So it's at the least charitable a "straw that broke the camels back" deal and more realistically "one of a long line of spats between gamers and games media."

Wonderful. Still, this seems to be going on forever. Granted, that seems mostly due to the idiots in the gaming press. Releasing a ton of 'gamers are dead' articles at the exact same time basically ensured you'd piss people off.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: Also seriously how do you pull up analytics for a specific topic?

Those numbers I pulled out my rear end, you really can only estimate. PewdiePie makes around $4 million dollars a year. If you want some math, here it is.

He currently has a little less than two thousand videos. He's been on YouTube for 4 years, so that's roughly 500 videos a year. Lets round it to 500 videos per year for the sake of easy numbers. Lets also assume it was only this year that he's made 4 mill. And then lets assume all that income is equal across every video. It obviously isn't, but gently caress it. So, 500 videos per year equaling an even $4 million per year is eight grand per video. Depending on view count and ad clicks and whatever other voodoo Youtube uses, it could be a lot more.

Some more math. The video I mentioned has 10 million views in two months, which means a third of his subscribers watched it. It is also his most watched video the past two months, so it has probably earned much more than 8k. According to this site he stands to earn more than four million in the next four months.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 17, 2014

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh that''s interesting :) but I meant the analytics for the number of posts goons make in a specific thread.

Ah, Sorry! On that, I have no clue

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Baller Time posted:

Do SJWs like sex?

All sex is rape. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

slowbeef posted:

I really wish there was a way to kinda bullshit about this topic without pissing people off or "taking a strong stance."

Unfortunately there is pretty much no way to do it. From what I've seen, if you try going in the middle or take a moderate stance, you're painted as either a Social Justice Warrior/Fun Police by one side or a misogynist bully by the opposite. Whole thing is hosed.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nah this is the best part about it. If you like to troll people on twitter, you just have to tweet or retweet pro-gamergate stuff for a couple days, then tweet or retweet anti-gamergate stuff for a couple of days, and keep switching it up, ensuring a constant stream of pissed off people butting heads on twitter for the foreseeable future.

This is true, but I don't use twitter :(

burritolingus posted:

Why do that when you could just post something in the middle and piss off both sides at once?

The more neutral and civil and inclusive to both sides your message is, the more it pisses people off. Which is funny in a sadly ironic way, but at least with the other way you could change it up for basically all eternity as you pretend to change your mind at each bit of news. I guess when you get bored, you can do a civil, moderate message and then just make everyone scream and block you on twitter.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

burritolingus posted:

I think it also helps when you write less because then there's more room for the reader to read what they don't want to read in what you wrote and take offense than if you fully explain yourself.

I forget who said it, but it was basically that twitter radicalizes people because there's really not enough room for nuanced, complex discussion in 140 characters. So you have to boil everything down to a talking point and then boil that down even further. It doesn't really leave room for thought. So if you go even below 140 characters, yeah, it gets real easy to set people off.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

lovely Wizard posted:

So has anything happened with 4chan deleting literally everything gamergate on every board, even /pol/?

Pretty much nothing, aside from typical 4chan bullshit rumors. One was moot met Zoe at xoxo Portland and made nice with her or something like that. Apparently they also removed the feedback page as well.

I don't know why they thought deleting GG content would be a good idea, especially since there was just one thread in /v that could easily be ignored if you wanted to bypass all this bullshit. Its still being spammed, though most threads are removed pretty quickly.

CharlestonJew posted:

we might get some new regs since we're apparently the only forum that can talk about GAMERGATE 2.0 now

Actually, there's one other one on The Escapist too if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Beaten

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

thats less moot and more of a rogue mod, i'll try to find the screen shot but basically mootykins went on vaction and until he gets back there's a mod that's running rampant disobeying the order to let the gamergate thingy run its course naturally and fanning flames by deleting everything related to it, even the daughterfu threads

Must be a dumb loving mod because what he's doing is what allowed this whole thing to go on this long in the first place.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FagtasticalMondays posted:

This gets better and better. Before you know it, one of the "journalists" involved is going to hear some guy shout "4CHAN.org" while running away from his house.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ultrabindu posted:

It's a body mod implant. A plate is attached to the bone under the skin and an attachment screwed into place above the skin.

FagtasticalMondays posted:

I for one welcome this mass meltdown.

Notch got out at the right time.

The Meltdown is coming. That's actually a DARPA implant that will start up the Patriots AI. Kojima was right all along.

big duck equals goose posted:

Uhhhh... Richard Dawkins is on gamergate side, Antus might have not called the cops, I'm gay, joe rogan is possibly sleeping with Zoe!???? Pretty exciting week all and all.

Don't forget that some dumb loving reddit mod allowed a shadowbanned user to ask a question about censorship right in front of Julian Assange and 4chan has a moderator currently in delete everything mode about GamerGate and also deleted the 4chan feedback form.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Uggh sadly its not just girls, I know plenty of lads, utter wankers, who think the whole alt/nerd/tech savy look justifies being a self important poo poo head.

At the end of the day it juat screams, "look at me!".

Honestly, has every sane person forgotten that most of these fools are best dealt with by just ignoring them? Starving them of the attention they crave until they go extreme lengths to get it, which results in their burning out and fading away?

i won't be getting any implants until shadowrun becomes real

this includes elves and magic btw

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Meis posted:

why do you guys care so loving much.

it's not like video games are suddenly going to instantly become terrible. they're going to just carry on progressing the way they are. hell, maybe they'll even start giving more of them half decents plots and characters at some point!!

Because it is loving hilarious. It is like the opening fight in 'Gangs of New York'. Only instead of both sides brutally maiming each other they stand across from each other yelling lame insults.

"I got publicly available IC logs! FALSE FLAG!"

"Oh yeah? Well, I got got a not-so-secret list where people in a profession network! CORRUPTION!"

And it goes on like this forever.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 18, 2014

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Someone please explain how anything in this thread is funny or interesting.

4chan is literally tearing itself apart because some idiot mod is on a deleting spree. They scheduled an invasion on themselves. How is that not hilarious?

Pebergehund posted:

How come SA is suddenly on the SJW side in the war? Shouldnt there have been a vote or something?

Because SA didn't choose a side over e-drama. So we're evil filthy SJWs. We can't be a neutral Switzerland with chocolate and gold :(

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

honestly it's probably a smart move to ban all talk about it on 4chan. That kind ends the whole "it's just a 4chan raid" argument and people are just going to seek alternative places (IRC, the escapist) to talk about it

On the other hand, people will go 'Look! GG is too toxic even for 4chan!'

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Spacedad posted:

The order probably came from Moot to clean house over this dumb poo poo that had pretty much exploded over the internet.

But the entire point of 4chan is basically dumb poo poo. To clean dumb poo poo from a site filled with dumb poo poo is kinda dumb.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

point taken.

Seriously did anything at all happen or did goons just troll eachother and argue about gone home again?

There was an article where a journalist for Breitbart found a group where game journos talk to each other: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DrPlump posted:

The SJWs are slowly becoming super mad that #GamerGate had more staying power than all their previous hashtags combined. No matter how hard they try to censor it they can't seem to make it go away.

At this point even the SJW sleeper agents like Spanish Manlove who pretends to be above it all are even starting to show signs of becoming perturbed. As his mouse hovers over the gas button he comes to realize it won't have the effect he intends. The lack of power or control over the issue stirs an emotion deep inside he had not felt in some time.

At first this feeling of powerlessness scared him. Slowly he came to accept it and even embrace it. "What if instead of pretending to not care about this issue I just really unironically stopped caring?" he thought to himself as his finger slowly moved away from the mouse button.

:stare:

I am going to go to class now

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Daynab posted:

To give an example, everyone I know, minority or not, who agrees with Femfreq in even the most basic way has been dismissed as a SJW a ton of times.

Anita Sarkeesian is a genius. Not for her videos. Those could be accomplished by spending a weekend searching TV Tropes for examples and then injecting anything you find with basic feminist theory, be it intellectually valid or not.

No, she is a genius for exploiting people for money. 160k for a blue-screen background, stolen YouTube footage and C+/B- Freshman Philosophy papers as a script. And she takes forever to come out with videos for some reason. Whether her intentions or not, it allows her to milk people out of even more money. This is poo poo people do on YouTube for free. And at the end of the day, her videos are really inoffensive. Some gamers collectively lost their poo poo over this, naturally, and attacked her with some heinous poo poo.

And all the harassment she gets naturally makes her bulletproof to criticism (legit or not) because her supporters can claim 'if you critique Anita, you're a misogynist and mansplaining, you cis-het white fascist gently caress!'. It also gives her more cash by making people feel like they are fighting for equality and against the patriarchy by supporting her. It is perfect gig.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ArbitraryC posted:

Sounds like you're sexist and just can't accept basic feminism 101 points, it's the only reason to say anything negative about her work after all.

Oh no, I disagree with her on some points. Woe is me the misogynist.

Daynab posted:

I think you're overthinking this. The original "plot" was to ask for six thousand dollars for better video production to make a webseries. Who do you think made things blow up as much as they did? Hint: it wasn't feminists

Gamers definitely did blow it up far more than it would have with crap like domestic violence the game, you got me on that.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Misandrist Wytch posted:

gamergate is full of the most autistic, spergy, vapeing virgins since a loving brony convention.

Maybe there should be a GamerGate con. The extremists from both sides go; one to celebrate and one to crash. Then the doors a locked and bats and broken bottles are dropped down. They either sort out their differences or beat each other to death.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fabricated posted:

The games journolist email poo poo is hilarious; it's a lineup of the biggest most worthless shitbirds in gaming.

It kinda makes me happy to know that literally no one like Ben Kuchera.

How could you hate Ben? I mean look at his writing:

It felt like the first time I touched a girl’s breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?

You’re a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

That's some excellent criticism and is not creepy and disturbing at all.

Jombo posted:

The fucks on both sides of this shitfest have devolved into parodies of each other to the point it's one giant amorphous twitter arguing blob. Unless we get some sort of singularity event the entertainment value is just going to slowly meander towards zero like bitcoin.

The singularity event will be when Brietbart and the right wing actually try to use this as an excuse to try to get votes. Then the whole thing will collapse as political infighting occurs.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

EA Sports posted:

a call for an october 1st mass exodus from 4chan.

Nerds hate change so that will never happen. Pretty funny though

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Lowtax should promote SA for all the 4channers to come to SA for some easy :10bux:

Plus a shitload will probably get banned so that's even better!

4channers hate SA and think it is an SJW paradise, like SJW Shangrila. Every time someone would post something remotely negative about GG in their threads there would be comments related to :10bux: even if it was clearly other channers.

They also blamed FYAD for constantly invading their thread for some reason. So they probably won't be coming here.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Clitch posted:

It's pretty funny seeing old SA forum feuds playing out on such a scale, a full decade after they started.

Seriously. it is so weird to see, especially over poo poo like GG.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Get ready for Breitbart Gamer Radio:

https://twitter.com/Nero/status/513082652518535168

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

that ghostbusters analogy was loving on point, ty lowtax

a lot of entertaining things happen itt

I find that the answers to all troubles in life can be found in Ghostbusters.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lowtax posted:

I'm sure 4chan and the GamerGate people blindly hate me regardless, just because I've made fun of them before. The thing is, I've made fun of the other side as well. Both sides are acting silly. But to some people, if you're not a 1 then you must be a 0. There are simply no other numbers, and if you're not for us then you're against us. It's some epic "us versus them" war on the internet, and every single person has to belong to one of two groups, that's all.

Yeah, you really can't win. If you are in the middle, even if you have the most tolerant, neutral message out there, both sides will crucify you as if you are the embodiment of Satan. I remember when Boogie (lol internet celeb) came out with basically 'I love everybody and we should stop fighting and make video games better'. 4chan immediately tore him a new rear end in a top hat and told him to shut his mouth, while the anti-GG people called him an evil misogynist and started fat shaming him. It is insane.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Viridiant posted:

That's lame Boogie seems like a nice guy.

Yeah, he really seems like it.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

this war... it does things to us... turns us into animals...

does it ever change? war, that is. 'cause it doesn't. i don't think.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Boogie's an idiot who was posting on 4chan about how he's so mad about #gamergate and he's really going to make videos giving it to those SJWs (and posting the tripcode on twitter to confirm it was him) and then at the same time posting on SJW forums about how mean the channers were being to him and how they say "fag" all the time... basically I don't know if he was just trying to please everyone and failing or if he's actually just as two faced as his boogie/francis personas are.

Ahahaha this too.

Welp, maybe I was wrong. I just thought he was tired of getting harassed and just did that so everyone would leave him alone. Oh well.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

It's a good thing youtubers are known to have integrity and can never be bought by the publishers like the gaming press has been #gamergate

All gaming press is poo poo, it will always be poo poo. Except instead of just being lovely and bought by anyone who can write a check or give out merch, it is a bunch of self-important idiots who are trying to pretend that they aren't 'Guns and Ammo' for videogames.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
People forget that we are misanthropes. But it is one of those 'mis' words, so they think we're all Social Justice Paladins.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Much like we can teach men not to rape

jokes on you, all sex is rape

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Reminder: Brad Wardell put his name on a videogame tie-in fantasy novel which was only savaged because it offended the delicate sensibilities of the SJW crowd

that's, a lot, of loving, commas.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

exquisite tea posted:

I still have no idea what this whole gamergate thing is even about or why anybody should care, but if I can impart just one thing to this thread before I go back to browsing wikipedia articles at work, it's that you should all be ashamed of yourselves for making hundreds of posts about this poo poo and that Russians are scary motherfuckers with no appreciation for human life, in addition to all sucking rear end at Dota. Thanks and God bless.

everybody sucks at dota

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i did a whole timeline but it is two goddamn pages. what am i doing with my life.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Shadoer posted:

And that's the thing, Gaming is a billion dollar industry and a major art form now. It actually warrants real journalism and investigative work as opposed to these pretentious corrupt assholes.

Part of the problem is that gaming websites are being eaten alive by YouTube and LPers and Twitch. So as a reaction to that you see more and more click-bait type articles to try to attract eyeballs. When that barely works, then they begin to hate their audience because they've abandoned them for 'enthusiast press' who aren't real 'journalists'.

Not that YouTube would be any better, it is just where more and more people are getting their information from.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

paranoid randroid posted:

what is a game you would consider to be art

Tetris.

I believe if you look at games as art, game-play should come first because that's what defines the entire medium.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

QuantumNinja posted:

Based on this metric, I gotta ask: is Chess art? Spades? Solitaire? Magic: The Gathering? These are all games with gameplay.

If gameplay defines games as art, then these are all art, too.

You got me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

amuayse posted:

Wanting the title of 'art' is overrated.

You know what, agreed. I don't give a poo poo if a game is art as long as its good.

• Locked thread