Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I love that murdering him is an option. But hey, let's give this a chance and talk it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Talk

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You own up to being a necromancer but explain you're new to the game.

Max nods like he already knows all about it. "If it were me, I'd have brought them to school too," he says. "Lots of irritating people you can shut up in one day." He looks past you for a moment and smiles. "But I've got to tell you—you did it with a certain style."

Max looks in your eyes again. His attention is flattering. He stretches out a finger and touches you lightly, just under your ear. He strokes down to your chin. The skin tingles. Something stops you pulling away.

"You can do something special here," Max says. "I expect mayhem on a grand scale. An epic scale. I'll be watching." He slips off the wall and walks away, giving one quick glance over his shoulder.

You really don't know how to feel about that.

quote:

It's a new day.

The weather is overcast and gloomy. Wind whistles around your house and occasional showers rap on the windows.

You have to pop out to the corner shop for supplies: milk, bread, skin cream for the zombies, mineral oil for the skeletons, and industrial-strength cleaner for…well, everything. On the way into the shop, you collide with a black-clad figure in big, goth boots. It's Sam, whom you know from school. You feel heat in your cheeks and mutter apologies as you squeeze past.

Is it because you find Sam attractive? Admit it.

Yes, and Sam's a boy.
Yes, and Sam's a girl.
I am a solitary necromancer with a secret life. I find no-one attractive.

Huh. Looks like you guys have a chance at both romances. Didn't know you could do that.

Stats posted:

A successful necromancer must manage an array of vital character statistics.

Control: 68%
Energy: 44% (+2)
Luck: 64%
Corruption: 3%
Humanity: 5%
You are recognised and distrusted.

Your undead army consists of:
Skeletons: 5
Zombies: 2
and it has killed 2 people in total.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
There's no time for romance when taking over the world.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We like Sam the girl.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Plenty of necromancer to go around. Sam the girl.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Lady-Sam time.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Sam-boy

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Sam girl

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Clearly Sam is a girl.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ahahaha, Sam and Max. And Max is the chaos option.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Sam is a girl. Maybe we should have just Gone Home.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You've been in a few classes with Sam. Her full name is Samantha. You suppose she must be a goth; the black velvet dress, bushy black hair, simple ankh, and intricate eyeliner are definite markers.

You're not entirely sure why you like her in particular; maybe it's because she does her own thing and doesn't seem intimidated by anyone, even the popular bitch squad. Maybe it's because she's always reading but she's not a snob about books. Or maybe it's just that smile.

You'd like to get to know her better. But you've missed your chance for today. You agonise over how you might engineer a chance to bump into her again.

quote:

"Hi." Sam stands outside in the sun, waiting for you. She gives a smile which manages to be enigmatic and dazzling at the same time. "Get anything good?"

You make a couple of ineffective noises and try to smile back. Your mouth feels wired into a grimace. You don't want to talk about the six litres of industrial-strength cleaner you just bought.

Artfully change the subject.
Talk about how lame the shops are in Basingstoke-on-Trent.
Complain about them being out of your favourite noodles.
Make a joke about doing secret drug deals in the corner shop.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
These shops are so lame!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Wanna try some of these liquid shroomes I bought? (drugs)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

This place is so lame~ :bigtran:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Joke about drug deals because that sounds the most cynical.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
How could drugs ever be the wrong choice?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Joke about drug deals because that sounds the most cynical.

We totally scored some sweet Alabama liquid snake. Do it.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You claim to have purchased half a brick of Colombian marching powder for a knock-down price.

"Yeah. Their Mexican brown is the best." Sam doesn't miss a beat. "I never get mine anywhere else."

You stroll along the street for a while. "A couple more years and we're out of this dump for ever," Sam says. She is planning to move away to university. You feel a sudden lurch in your stomach. With the death of your parents, your future has become very uncertain. Undead faces loom in your mind's eye.

Ask about Sam's plans.
Sneak in a compliment.
Admit your uncertainty about the future.
Exit this uncomfortable conversation.

Stats posted:

Energy: 44%
Luck: 65% (+1)
Humanity: 6% (+1)

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Our future may be uncertain, but we'll make the best of it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I am uncertain as well.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let's go for an awkward compliment!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Be uncertain.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm uncertain. :smith:

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Time for an awkward compliment.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You don't know Sam very well but you have a feeling you can trust her. Without explaining why, you admit you don't really know where your life will take you.

"I'll tell you something my dad said," Sam says. "He said you only learn, only really learn, by making mistakes. And the earlier you make them, the better."

You muse on this in silence.

"Of course, later in the same day, he messed up with a saw and nearly cut off one of his fingers." Sam smiles.

It takes you five more minutes to realise that you are walking towards your house. Under normal circumstances you could invite Sam in. You could get to know her better. You have a brief flash of roaming the streets, hand in hand with an elegant princess of darkness, an honour guard of undead marching in your wake. Maybe you should dig out some early Anne Rice stuff and read it again. However…you are currently running a guest house for the undead and that sort of precludes unexpected visitors.

Sam tips her head to the side. "You zoned out there for moment," she says.

You're at the end of your street. Time to say goodbye to Sam. You never know what might be peering out of your window.

quote:

"Just a minute." Sam bits her lip and looks at the ground. Your head buzzes. Is she nervous about talking to you?

"I hear that you've, um…" she says, "…recently made some, ah, new friends."

You're not quite sure what she is getting at. This is Basingstoke-on-Trent. The pool of potential friends is, frankly, limited.

Sam scuffs the ground with one big goth boot. "I heard about what happened at school. I worked out it was you. Some of them are saying it was a costume stunt that got out of hand. But I don't think that's what happened." She looks up into your eyes.

You freeze.

Laugh it off and flee.
Pretend not to understand.
Confide in Sam.
Let her see one of the undead.

Stats posted:

Luck: 66% (+1)
Humanity: 6%

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Subtlety is not something we're good at. Let me show you the zombie that ate my parents!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
Show, don't tell.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Show.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Blood, guts; a real horror show

http://youtu.be/8EkN8WtFTpE?t=7m18s

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Behold my undead minion!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

With a shrug, you beckon Sam to follow. She raises an eyebrow.

The neighbourhood is quiet. You lead her down the side of the house to where the fence is highest. Something stops you taking her inside. Instead, you take the humerus from your pocket. Sam's eyes widen as she watches the glowing liquid run through its slow cycle.

While her gaze is fixed on the bone, you draw a skeleton out through the back door. It strikes a dramatic, Ray Harryhausen stance of menace. Sam looks up and actually leaps back against the fence. "Holy poo poo!" she shouts, and then immediately covers her mouth.

You move the undead a little: head tilt, arm flex, slow advance. Sam watches it come, breathing hard.

Slaughter Sam.
Let Sam touch your minion.
Withdraw it back into the house.

No change in stats.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

And once again murder is an option. I'd really like to see a psychopath playthrough of this at some point. But until then I say we let Sam touch it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

And once again murder is an option. I'd really like to see a psychopath playthrough of this at some point. But until then I say we let Sam touch it.

Agreed on both counts.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Have Sam shake hands with a skeleton

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Let her touch our bones

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sam can grab out boner-man.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Sam extends a hand and, very gingerly, touches the undead. "Woah," she says. "I'm not even seeing things." It shuffles a little and watches her with patient curiosity.

After a few moments, you order the undead back inside. It takes unhurried steps and disappears into the kitchen. You close the door.

"So the rumours are true," Sam says. "What the—I mean, what are you even going to do with this?"

You don't know. But you put the kettle on, and you sit in the garden and talk in low voices, your heads close together. Much later, as the last daylight fades, Sam gets up to leave. She puts a hand on your shoulder for a few electric moments.

"You've got a lot of courage," she says. "I know you'll do something good with this. Something important."

Then she's gone. You take a long breath of night air before you go in.

quote:

Inside the house, you are struck by a feeling that something is wrong, something out of place. You freeze and listen. You hear nothing, except—is that a cold breeze against your skin? You imagine armed police in bulletproof vests, crouched against doorways, waiting for the signal to take you down—seconds away—

You look back at the door to outside. Should you trust your instincts?

quote:

"What time do you call this?"

The shriek makes you leap right off the floor. An immensely tall woman looms towards you, straggly red hair plastered down the side of her face with what looks like swamp water. She wears a loose green slip from some long-ago era, while her eyes are wide, dark-rimmed, and fixed on you.

It takes you a moment to realise she is floating six inches above the linoleum.

Make a break for it.
Talk to her in a calm tone.
Summon the undead to attack.

Stats posted:

Control: 69% (+1)
Luck: 71% (+5)
Humanity: 7% (+1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU