Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm not updating the OP anymore because I'm not playing this game anymore, so if someone else wants to create a new thread feel free.

What is Star Wars Commander?

It's the latest in a long line of Clash of Clans ripoffs, but based in the Star Wars galaxy we all know and love. The art is pretty good, the sound and music is spot on. Edit: version 2.1.2 has updated some of the problems with unit AI, but Other than that, the unit AI is STILL stupid as hell, the interface is clunky and unresponsive, and none of the nice things you take for granted in CoC are in this game.

Edit: I can't stress enough how stupid the AI is in this game. Previously units would spread out and randomly shoot walls. With 2.1.2 the AI will bunch up together, and sometimes troops will get stuck on the corner of a building looking at it, as if they have superman eye beams and can destroy it that way instead of using the blasters in their loving hands. That being said, it's still an improvement over the 2.1.1 AI. Just use scouts and a hero all day erry day.

That being said, it's pretty fun if you can get past the bugs and lag.

Where do goons play and how do I join?

The Imperial goon squad is R2D2Poor4Crystal. Clan leader is Wraith. If you want to join, just search for the squad and say something goony in your application. Wraith has said that the squad interface is hard to work with and buggy, if you don't see anything after getting accepted try to reload the game a few times until it shows up.
Forums user Gangrino graciously made a second Imperial squad, SHOWMEYOURWOMPA.
I started a third Imperial goon squad, UGievScouts.

Cooter64 has started a goon squad for rebel scum, Douevenwomprat. Bug him for invites.

Resources

Credits: Your Clash of Clans analogue to elixir. You need this to build troops, upgrade troops, build some buildings, and go on raids. You can gather these through your credit markets or by doing the missions, or by raiding hapless children that play this game because of Jedis.

Alloy: The gold of this game. Upgrade defensive structures, credit markets, storage, and Headquarters. Can be gotten from Alloy Refineries, or missions, or raiding.

Crystals: The pay-to-win resource, allows you to instantly complete construction of buildings or units, and purchase more droids (builders).

Buildings - Imperial

Headquarters - You have to have a headquarters. Its level determines how many of the other structures you can build.
Droid Hut - Houses your builder droids. You can purchase more droids with crystals. The third droid costs 500 crystals, so save up!
Credit Market/Alloy Refinery - Passive accumulation of credits or alloy. Check the cost/benefit of upgrading these, because the resource increase isn't linear (ie: going from level 3->4 is better than 4->5.)
Credit Vault/Alloy Depot - Storage of your resources.
Barracks - Builds infantry
Factory - Builds vehicles
Unit transport - The level of your transports determines how many units you can have in your army
Hero Command - Allows you to build veteran AT-ST or AT-ATs (Think Barbarian King or Archer Queen). Upgrading allows you to field more Heroes
Starship Command - You can build TIE fighters and bombers to strafe your enemies. Upgrading allows you to field more starships.
Research Lab - Paying the nerds inside a bunch of credits allows you to beef up your units, even Heroes and Starships.

Defensive Structures

A unique innovation of SWC is that unlike CoC where you have a certain amount of cannons, archer towers, wizard towers, etc per Town Hall level, in SWC your total amount of defensive turrets is limited by your HQ and you can mix and match whichever ones you want, up to the total limit. You can even switch them out by paying with alloy.

Rapid Fire Turrets - Your basic turret. "Good general purpose, single target, medium damage turret that is moderately good against most targets." You start with this turret, and they're pretty OK.

Mortar Turret - Slow firing AOE turret. "Moderate damage to a medium area. They are most effective against clustered infantry." Great for killing the stupid infantry AI in this game.

Burst Turret - Basically a pillbox garrisoned by infantry. You don't actually have to put troops in here though. "Highly effective against single targets, but struggle against large groups of enemies."

Rocket Turret - gently caress hovertanks so hard with these. "Fires volleys of high velosity rockets designed to destroy hardened targets such as vehicles. The rockets are not high explosive, and thus are ineffective against masses of infantry." Uh what? I think what they're trying to say is that this isn't an AOE turret, even though rockets...

Walls - Explanatory, and major alloy dump.

Shield Generator - Another unique difference from CoC. These are just like the shield generators from that terrible Star Wars movie with Jar Jar Binks. You can place them to cover up your defensive turrets so there's another layer that your enemies have to chew through before getting to them. If a unit is inside the shield they can just shoot whatever's inside without any problems, but do you think that there's AI smart enough to do that? Nope!

Units - Imperial

Ready to kill some rebel scum? So you have four buildings that can produce units - Barracks, Factory, Hero Command, and Starship Command. Your unit limit is determined by your Unit Transport levels, but they don't include Hero units or Starship units.

Infantry
Stormtroopers - Dumb as hell, fragile as hell, but only take up one unit slot. Shoot at the nearest thing to them. 1 unit slot.
Phase II Dark Trooper - Still dumb, a lot tougher than Stormtroopers, and take up 4 unit slots. They like to shoot at defensive structures.
Scout Troopers - Twice as fast as Stormtroopers or Dark Troopers, these guys go straight for resources. My armies are exclusively scouts with a Hero, and I generally get most of the available resources while raiding. 1 unit slot.
Dewback Troopers - Stormtroopers riding big lizard things. Slower than scouts but faster than Stormtroopers or Dark Troopers. They like to ride their dewbacks straight through walls and headbutt the poo poo out of defensive structures. Do AOE damage, required 3 unit slots.
Repair Droid - Fast and heal, prefer to heal vehicles. Unlockable at Barracks level 5 (I don't have any yet). 4 unit slots.
Heavy Stormtrooper - Have a rapid fire blaster cannon. I only assume that they're just as dumb as Stormtroopers but with more DPS. Unlockable at Barracks level 6. 4 unit slots.
Sniper Trooper - Scout trooper with a long range blaster. Low HP and slow - they'll murder opponent heroes and vehicles. Requires Barracks level 7. 7 unit slots.
Shock Trooper - Long range wall breaker, they have a rocket launcher that is good at blowing up walls, but poo poo at killing turrets. They like to target headquarters. I unlocked these in the recent Dandoran Campaign, but might require a barracks upgrade... 4 unit slots.

Vehicles
Speeder Bike - Basically a fast stormtrooper. Fragile and dumb, takes up 6 unit slots.
AT-ST Walker - Pretty fast, good DPS, decent HP. Excellent unit for getting you through the campaigns, but takes up 10 unit slots.
2-M Hover Tank - I liked these until I upgraded my AT-STs, and they just can't keep up. They're tougher than AT-STs, but much slower and more expensive.
AT-MP - Missile launching walker. Pretty terrible, bad AI and takes up 15 unit slots!
AT-AT - Walking death. loving cool as hell the first time you use it, since it can wipe out a base by itself... unless the timer counts down before it can walk to everything. Slow as hell and takes up THIRTY unit slots. Twice the price of an AT-ST.
Probe Droid - Fast and likes to kill infantry. Requires Factory level 6, which I don't have yet. 4 Unit slots required.
Mobile Heavy Cannon - Evil six legged spider thing with a huge AOE cannon on the back. Murders other vehicles with ease, but slow as hell. 12 unit slots required.

Special Units
Hero Command Makes two units and Starship Command makes two units

Veteran AT-ST - poo poo ton of DPS, fast moving, lots of HP
Veteran AT-AT - Even more DPS and HP than the ST, but very slow. You run up against one of these at the end of the campaign and it outranges all the defensive structures, so it's nearly unstoppable. I'll see once I upgrade my Hero Command to level 5 if it has the same range when the player builds it.
Veteran AT-AT - Slow as hell, does a bunch of DPS and loves to kill shield generators. Outranges defensive turrets if you deploy it correctly.
TIE Fighter - You can call down a TIE to strafe the enemy base, really good for one shotting a pesky defensive structure.
TIE Inteceptor - New in 2.1.2, literally no reason to use this over a TIE Fighter. Has splash damage, but its such low damage why bother? TIE Fighter V does 18,000 damage with 1 splash area, while TIE Interceptor IV does a paltry 4000 damage with a splash area of 4. Don't bother!
TIE Bomber - Same as the fighter, except a bigger AOE splash when they bomb.
TIE Advanced - Will be available to unlock from Campaign 2 coming soon.

Attacking

Campaign
Currently there's 8 9 chapters available in campaign mode. Getting 100% of the stars available gives you bonus crystals! Decent source of income/crystals while at low levels. You're better off raiding for credits/alloy though.

Other Players
This game is filled with some terrible bases. Gorge yourself on the resources of your enemies!

Rebel Alliance players - I'm sure that the units are basically the same, but someone that plays Rebel feel free to write up and I'll add it to the OP.

Empire Campaign Guide

Currently 8 chapters available. It's a good introduction on how to play the game and you get to run into that douchebag, Commander Kosh! There's a good mix of attacking enemies, defending your own base, and upgrades required to move on through them. If you get 100% of the stars in a chapter you get bonus crystals! Here's a quick guide on what you'll need to upgrade and when.

Chapter 2-1 - Build 25 total wall pieces
2-3 - Have a level 2 Unit Transport
2-5 - Have at least 2 Credit Markets
3-1 - Have 4 total turrets (requires HQ level 2)
3-3 - Have a Factory
3-5 - Have 2 level 2 Credit Markets
4-2 - Have 2 level 2 Barracks
4-5 - Have a level 2 Alloy Depot
4-7 - Have 2 level 2 Rapid Fire Turrets
4-9 - Have level 3 Headquarters
5-1 - Have a Mortar Turret
5-2 - Have a level 3 Barracks
5-7 - Have 6 total turrets
5-10 - Have 2 level 2 Unit Transports
6-1 - Have 3 level 3 Alloy Refineries
6-2 - Have a Research Lab
6-4 - Have at least 12 level 3 walls
6-7 - Have 3 level 3 Credit Markets
7-4 - Have level 4 Headquarters
7-6 - Have a Hero Command
7-12 - Have level 2 Research Lab
7-13 - Have level 2 Hero Command
8-3 - Have 2 level 4 Unit Transports
8-7 - Have level 4 Barracks
9-1 - Have level 4 Factory

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Good OP, thanks for getting us out of the CoC thread. Like Mandingo said chat is buggy as hell so when you apply post here with your IGN and we'll get you in.

For farming I highly recommend using a LOT of scouts. They go straight for resource collectors and storages, and do double damage to them. Don't be afraid to break shields and never stop scouting; you'll be rich in no time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I can't believe there isn't a 'Edit Base' function right from launch. My base is utterly retarded in terms of layout because I seriously can't be arsed to rearrange each individual wall segment while moving other random poo poo around just to make some sort of room.

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the OP. The single player side is better done than CoC and not bad. It's a decent way to burn credits while waiting for walls to upgrade. Scouts are OP and so I haven't touched the troop diversity, but it's impressive.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

wraith_5_ posted:

Good OP, thanks for getting us out of the CoC thread. Like Mandingo said chat is buggy as hell so when you apply post here with your IGN and we'll get you in.

For farming I highly recommend using a LOT of scouts. They go straight for resource collectors and storages, and do double damage to them. Don't be afraid to break shields and never stop scouting; you'll be rich in no time.

Applied as Arsontwosix. I'm a fan of using AT-STs and grav tanks to punch through shields before letting the storm troopers get in and do their good works.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
You don't understand how good the CoC AI is until you see a hovertank do a couple laps around the enemy base not shooting anything before being put out of its misery by turrets :suicide:

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

Applied as Arsontwosix. I'm a fan of using AT-STs and grav tanks to punch through shields before letting the storm troopers get in and do their good works.

Accepted.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Star Wars: Commander is Boom Beach, not Clash of Clans.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

ZombieParts posted:

Explain?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

ZombieParts posted:

Not really. Mission chapters are more like the goblin map than the boom beach map, and raiding other players is a direct rip-off of CoC raiding. Plus there's two main resources, not three like in boom beach.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah it's exactly like boom beach, minus the gunboat mechanic, landing crafts, statues, map exploration, singular victory condition, troop training system, single builder, submarine, and pretty much everything else.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When does this come out for us poor folks (Android users) who like Big screens and more functions?

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

tater_salad posted:

When does this come out for us poor folks (Android users) who like Big screens and more functions?

Find your favorite iOS emulator and you can be playing today!

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

They could so easily do a GI Joe version of this stormtroopers shoot like COBRA anyway

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
My Christian faith will not let me join the dark side, so I've been playing with the rebels. If there are any good Christian goons that would like to join me, let me know and I'll set up a "squad."

Amen.

Edit: The Lord has commanded me to create a squad called "Douevenwomprat". It cost 10000 credits to set up a squad. That angers my Lord.

brunch with yr parents fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 11, 2014

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I applied as 'Dimo Ar'Kacho'. I don't know why this game is fun, but it is.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

cooter64 posted:

My Christian faith will not let me join the dark side, so I've been playing with the rebels. If there are any good Christian goons that would like to join me, let me know and I'll set up a "squad."

Amen.

Edit: The Lord has commanded me to create a squad called "Doyouevenwomprat". It cost 10000 credits to set up a squad. That angers my Lord.

Drunken shirt posting is a bad idea. Actual squad name is Douevenwomprat

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Lots of familiar names in this thread.

The squad interface is indeed a piece of poo poo. We're doing our best to identify and purge people that have quit to make room for people that are actually active, but it's not an exact science.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

LucasArts posted:

Commanders,

With the update going out, we wanted to give a clearer understanding of the AI improvements and work that has gone into the game. To better let the community know what AI improvements have been made, here is the list of updates that have occurred for the AI:

Updated troop fanning parameters to improve overall pathing, including updates to unit targeting to prevent the issue where units would all shoot walls due to spreading out.
Improved troop intelligence to address the issue where troops keep shooting walls when a new hole is opened in a wall nearby.
Improved troop pathing against moving targets (e.g. defensive troops).
Improved troop scattering, so that ranged units are less likely to push up closer to their targets than their range would dictate.
Disabled target surrounding, that resulted in non-optimal pathing (e.g. long detours) around targets that were heavily walled.
Updated the pathing system to limit the lengths that units are willing to travel to a target.

We will continue to be updating and improving the AI in future patches.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The AI doesn't feel as dumb, at first glance. I'm upgrading my HQ to level 5 so I can get AT-ATs and reenact the Hoth invasion on every available rebel base :getin:

e: They added an AT-MP hero. It unlocks at level 3 hero command, and prefers turrets as targets instead of shield generators (like the base one does)

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 12, 2014

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

The AI doesn't feel as dumb, at first glance. I'm upgrading my HQ to level 5 so I can get AT-ATs and reenact the Hoth invasion on every available rebel base :getin:

e: They added an AT-MP hero. It unlocks at level 3 hero command, and prefers turrets as targets instead of shield generators (like the base one does)

Gonna start testing the Vet AT-MP and give a trip report on it.

Another change: you can look at other research now while you have a unit currently upgrading, similar to how COC. Also motherfucking TIE Interceptors. TIE Advanced in the lab as a campaign reward. Descriptions says Interceptors are good vs walls, Advanced vs shields.

Edit: The AT-MPs upgrade stats show large gains to an already large HP pool, and piss poor DPS upgrades to already bad DPS. These look like Golem analogues.

In before RVT rages about a second wallbreaker unit being put behind a timed event gate.

wraith_5_ fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2014

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Can any filthy rebels confirm what new ships you guys got? Im assuming A-Wing and B-wing.

vobre
Sep 13, 2014
Rebels get a Z95 at level 2 Starship Command and an A-Wing which is listed as a Campaign Reward.

The Z95 is like a weaker Y-Wing, so it's low damage, large area of effect. The A-Wing is slightly higher damage than X-Wing.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
About those campaign rewards... I didn't get enough points to unlock the bazooka trooper so does that mean that I'll never ever be able to get him ever again for the rest of my life???

vobre
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing about campaign reward points. I was saving up to try to hit 6000 but it became clear that to finish the last few missions, you would need some very high level troops. So I didn't spend any of my 4,000+ points, and I can only hope that they'll carry over to the next campaign, although that seems unlikely.

I'll bet the Bazooka Trooper is a reward again. They spent the time to create all the assets for him, they're not gonna shelve that forever. I didn't think he was particularly useful though. In fact, as a rebel, I've only found Chewie + Wookies + a couple Pathfinders on cleanup to be effective. Don't need to watch tanks do laps around the enemy base. Might as well take the cannons off of them to speed them up...

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Reading the official forums, I think level 26 on the campaign was meant to be repeatable. It was not clear that it was and they had a bug fix in to address these issues which is annoying that if missed it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
If they really gate units behind 4 day events that you have to make 30-40 attacks in that time limit, that's some seriously terrible game design.

I have to think that they will cycle the shock trooper back around, otherwise I'd have already quit. Still, even doing it that way makes little sense.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
the campaign points will reset when the campaing ends and this was the second time they held the campaing. so you will get your chance to get bazooka dudes again

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Just accepted vobre to Douevenwomprat. Let me know if it didn't take. This game is a buggy piece of poo poo.

brunch with yr parents fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 13, 2014

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

RVT posted:

If they really gate units behind 4 day events that you have to make 30-40 attacks in that time limit, that's some seriously terrible game design.

I have to think that they will cycle the shock trooper back around, otherwise I'd have already quit. Still, even doing it that way makes little sense.

Star Wars Commander: that's some seriously terrible game design

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Any word on Android version? I want to play badly but I refuse to support Apple.(no don't let this start a derail)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Well, the game seems to be giant turd so who cares. The graphics look nice, and a good Star Wars RTS would be very nice for android, but I guess it was too much to expect.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
It's very slowly getting slightly less terrible.

I mostly like it because when I'm bored of barching for 2 hours to upgrade a single wall segment, I can hop on SWC and chain scout drop people for shitloads of loot and pretty much upgrade whatever I want within 15-30 minutes and it takes no premium currency.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They seriously need to add a 'edit base' function.

mephology
Jan 14, 2012

Do you all not see the move button? It's basically edit base. The main difference is you cannot remove all pieces and wall placement is more terrible than CoC, but not by much.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

mephology posted:

The main difference is you cannot remove all pieces and wall placement is more terrible than CoC, but not by much.

Having to move every single wall unit piece by piece is in fat a huge difference.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
The load time is currently my the thing keeping me from playing more, it's not a huge amount of time but when you need to do it so often it starts to get annoying fairly quickly.

Should be a fun game in half a year if they continue to fix things but currently its just a buggy Clash clone with a Star Wars skin.

dermalogic
Dec 21, 2005

The Emperor's gespatcho was too cold, or not cold enough. He can't really remember.
Hey guys,

I just joined this stupid game because I'm bored with CoC. I have tried a few times to join the Imperial squad, but I gather it is full?

I'll monitor the thread so I know when there is an opening so I can shoot in another invite.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

dermalogic posted:

Hey guys,

I just joined this stupid game because I'm bored with CoC. I have tried a few times to join the Imperial squad, but I gather it is full?

I'll monitor the thread so I know when there is an opening so I can shoot in another invite.

We're full right now. We'll do a purge sometime during the week and post in here with how many spots open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vobre
Sep 13, 2014
The rebel squad could use a few more members if you want to change sides. We don't have AT-ATs, but we have giant walking carpets with space crossbows.

• Locked thread