Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

lardnar posted:

If you're comboing with Lich + Dreams, you don't need the solitary confinement, right? Discarding cards to Dreams gives you food to exile with the Lich so you don't die. You might want a confinement anyway to protect you before you go off vs. other decks in the field, or if your opponent exiles your graveyard while you go off, but you don't need it to protect yourself against your own dreams, I think.

Yeah, the deck technically functions without Solitary Confinement, but when you're playing a lich card, it never hurts to be a little more safe. In particular, with Banefire sitting in the format alongside Cabal Coffers, having a main deck solution to it is never a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

Ramos posted:

Yeah, the deck technically functions without Solitary Confinement, but when you're playing a lich card, it never hurts to be a little more safe. In particular, with Banefire sitting in the format alongside Cabal Coffers, having a main deck solution to it is never a bad idea.

That's fair, I've hardly looked at the meta, but I just looooove a good combo deck. It doesn't need blue, if you want counterspells, lapse of certainty is in the format. I'd also want to run death wish over sign in blood, you can keep a bunch of silver bullets in the sideboard then as well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

lardnar posted:

That's fair, I've hardly looked at the meta, but I just looooove a good combo deck. It doesn't need blue, if you want counterspells, lapse of certainty is in the format. I'd also want to run death wish over sign in blood, you can keep a bunch of silver bullets in the sideboard then as well.

Right, I keep forgetting about Lapse of Certainty and Death Wish would likely be a good addition too. Either way, deck lists are due in less than six hours, so if you're in the mood for it, just get that updated however you like and PM Jonked.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
The Spreadsheet is up. With 4 people we might be able to get two tournament in this month!

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
Trying to drum up support from a few more folks.

Namagem... throw together a random deck and play it buddy. Just pull an Odyssey block or Alara block deck and modify it. They'll work!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Rampire 2 - 1 Archenteron.

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
Oxybeles 2-1 vs Ramos

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
2-0 over Jonked, thanks to double Thragtusk comebacks.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
And a 2-0 over Oxybeles.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Archenteron 2 - 0 Oxybelles

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
2-1 win for me over Joosibi/2Sibi.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Deck: PPL Jund

//Lands
2 Dragonskull Summit
3 Exotic Orchard
5 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Savage Lands
2 Swamp

//Spells
2 Farseek
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Lightning Strike
4 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Terminate

//Creatures
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Putrid Leech
4 Thragtusk
3 Thundermaw Hellkite

//Sideboard
3 Duress
2 Chainer's Edict
4 Jund Charm
3 Reclamation Sage
3 Skeletal Scrying

Display deck statistics

It's Jund! Everyone try and act surprised. It appears to have won the month, barring a last minute Ramus sweep (he's lost internet, unfortunately). Most of the list is based on the Rabble Jund list Orange Fluffy Sheep posted earlier, but I made a few tweaks.

Rabblemaster: Down to 2. It's a good card but I don't think it's that great in the format. All the commonly played removal smashes it, especially Infest and Jund Charm, opposing Putrid Leech blocks it profitably, and so on. The games bore this out, there weren't many times I specifically wanted a Rabblemaster in play compared to another threat. That said, it was still serviceable and filled the 3 drop slot.

Thragtusk: Up to 4 maindeck and never regretted it. Always the best possible card, I can't say enough good things about it. The lifegain pulled me out of the fire multiple times, including a comeback from one life. There was also a game I kept 3 Thragtusk/3 land/Hierarch, drew no other early action, and won easily because multiple Thragtusks are in fact that good.

Noble Hierarch: Definitely better than Elvish Mystic. Exalted played a very large role in the Jund mirrors, whether it was getting a Thragtusk past an opposing Beast, letting Hierarch attack into Mystic, or swinging a Thundermaw for 7 in the air to win.

Thundermaw Hellkite: Not as good as Thragtusk, but still a premier big-ticket finisher. Ended every game it resolved, either immediately or by providing a decisive life swing and taking a removal spell.

Putrid Leech: 2 mana 4/4, A++ would play again. Favorable vs other creatures, and unlike Rabblemaster is big enough to demand a hard removal spell. Honestly felt like this and Rabblemaster should swap mana costs by their relative value to the deck.

Garruk, Primal Hunter
: The other trump card. Nine maindeck 5-drops might seem excessive at a glance, but going over the top is so important in this format that I like them all. Garruk proved very hard for opponents to deal with and went ultimate twice. Only Maelstrom Pulse kills him and even then he's made a beast. Or he could be cashed in for a lot of cards with a Putrid Leech or Thragtusk in play, although I never actually did that.

Exotic Orchard and other lands, and not playing Ancient Ziggurat or Urborg: So, Putrid Leech and Terminate on two into GGGarruk and RR Thundermaws on five puts a bit of a strain on the manabase. Tapped lands are bad, and Ziggurat can't play Maelstrom Pulse, Terminate and Garruk. I wanted to try for an edge here and Orchard definitely delivered. Cheating off of the opponent's manabase is fun and very profitable! Other people playing Urborg and fixing me, and/or getting colorscrewed themselves, happened quite a bit, but this deck never had color issues and got to keep the taplands to a minimum. I'm sure this isn't the optimal manabase, but it seems pretty good.

Sideboard...?: Skeletal Scrying is the other secret tech card in the list. It's bad to cascade into, but amazing at breaking parity when hardcast in slower matchups. I didn't find myself needing the sideboard much in general, though, only siding in some Duress and Skeletal Scrying against the control decks. It's possible there should be more walkers in there, maybe more Rabblemasters, but generally I just found myself liking the maindeck a ton.

Farseek was the most common card to board out, and flood was largely responsible for the games I lost, so despite the high number of 5-drops I wonder if the Farseeks should even be in the deck to begin with. In general this deck and this format felt very "go over" rather than "go under;" the player with the most and best haymakers won, with Thragtusk in particular pulling people's butts out of the fire if they had a slow start.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ranpire posted:

Farseek was the most common card to board out, and flood was largely responsible for the games I lost, so despite the high number of 5-drops I wonder if the Farseeks should even be in the deck to begin with.

It's complicated why I even put them in there in the first place. Mostly, it's that I wanted some mana fixing to match the ramp the 1-cmc dorks provided, and to get basics to get the buddies activated. I can see why you'd want to take them out. Hell, I was halfway considering replacing them with Searing Spears to get some more reach in there, or maybe some Sign in Bloods or Skeletal Scryings for card draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, I was interested in this league, and I was wondering if the new sets had been decided.

• Locked thread