Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
are the ferrets from the op dead yet? ferrets only live like 6 weeks before succumbing to the millions of diseases that kill them right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
The shittily bred ones we mostly get in the US probably like 5-7 years thanks to the bajillion cancers and diseases they get. The UK ones closer to 10.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
that's cool i knew a rich idiot who went through like 10 ferrets a year and that was my only ferret experience so i assumed they keeled over if you look at them funny.

glad to know ferrets have staying power, ferrets are rad.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Dr qq posted:

are the ferrets from the op dead yet? ferrets only live like 6 weeks before succumbing to the millions of diseases that kill them right?

One escaped or was stolen, the other I had to return to the rescue because my bitch rear end dog was terrified of her :smith:

UK ferts way more own-some than USA ferts tho

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
It seems like US ferrets are dropping dead left and right. Everyone seems to post that their ferret had a horrible health scare or died at 2-3.

I love them but I haven't gotten one because of their horrible health problems.

Is anyone trying to breed healthier ferrets in the US? :shrug:

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

With the weather warming up, I'm looking to take my ferts outside (on harness or supervised in a play pen). Are there any flea and tick preventatives that are appropriate for ferrets? I'm tempted to use the kitten formulation, but I'm not sure what the risks are with toxicity.

For what it's worth, I'm in Upstate NY, where the wildlife and their associated parasites abound.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Mathematics posted:

I saw a European ferret in a pet store once. Though I have no idea whether they imported it or if someone's breeding them here.

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

Mathematics posted:

It seems like US ferrets are dropping dead left and right. Everyone seems to post that their ferret had a horrible health scare or died at 2-3.

I love them but I haven't gotten one because of their horrible health problems.

blame marshal farms and other animal farming4profit businesses. I don't know why its just North America that has a lack of independent breeders, probably a law somewhere.

peengers posted:

Like 3 hours from mouth to rear end, it's amazing.

Literally 0.000105633103mph

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

it's probably because UK ferrets are primarily bred for workers/pets, rather than just for pets. you guys dont have the same rabbits as us afaik, so no need to send a ferret down underground to flush them. no working breeders means it's all bybs and farms all the time!

ferts don't come neutered or de-scented here either; I know a lotta people think de-scenting them is cruel, and tbh i can't see how much of a difference it would make.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

A lot of places here have restrictions on them (in my state you can't have one over 7 months of age that is intact unless you have a permit). Marshall's basically has a ferret monopoly. They provide pets as well as animals for research labs and stuff like that. They churn out ferrets from the same lines year after year, ship them out at a very young age and mostly never hear about them again, so they don't have good data on which lines suffer from what.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Maully Millions posted:

With the weather warming up, I'm looking to take my ferts outside (on harness or supervised in a play pen). Are there any flea and tick preventatives that are appropriate for ferrets? I'm tempted to use the kitten formulation, but I'm not sure what the risks are with toxicity.

For what it's worth, I'm in Upstate NY, where the wildlife and their associated parasites abound.

Bump!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

I don't know what actually applies to NY state, but in Texas there were 3 big things ferrets had to have to be outside. 1) Heartworm meds. See a vet, get liquid drops, not store bought stuff. 2) See a vet for flea stuff. Supposedly off the shelf cat stuff works but I wouldn't risk it, and we got ours from a vet. 3) distemper vax. They should already have this, because you can apparently track that in on your shoes.

As for ticks and stuff? See a vet :P

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Maully Millions posted:

We have a big bag of paper under the bed that our fluffs enjoy too! What else do you guys do? I'm always looking for more enrichment for them.

We've also got a hamper of old pillows and sheets in the closet, large pvc pipes running behind stuff, etc. And lots of cat toys, some of which they stole from their cat friend they stayed with over Xmas.

For anyone keeping ferrets, I'd advise ping-pong balls. Ferrets love them. Imagine a super-light, super-bouncy indestructible egg that is just too big for them to get their teeth around. Eventually they'll manage to catch it in a corner and destroy it, but this generally takes hours. Give it a try.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Plek posted:

I don't know what actually applies to NY state, but in Texas there were 3 big things ferrets had to have to be outside. 1) Heartworm meds. See a vet, get liquid drops, not store bought stuff. 2) See a vet for flea stuff. Supposedly off the shelf cat stuff works but I wouldn't risk it, and we got ours from a vet. 3) distemper vax. They should already have this, because you can apparently track that in on your shoes.

As for ticks and stuff? See a vet :P

Thanks! They've all three had their distemper shots, so we're good on #3. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and see one of the baby vets at the vet hospital (they're generally really quite good, but not always as knowledgeable about specific exotics).

Soylent Yellow posted:

For anyone keeping ferrets, I'd advise ping-pong balls. Ferrets love them. Imagine a super-light, super-bouncy indestructible egg that is just too big for them to get their teeth around. Eventually they'll manage to catch it in a corner and destroy it, but this generally takes hours. Give it a try.

I gave mine easter eggs or pill bottles with beans in them, and they nosed all of them into a pile in the closet in like, 5 minutes. Ping pong to the rescue!

Also, I want to second what Compact Fanny said about the Marshall Monopoly. In the two years since we first decided to get ferrets, I've only heard of two coming up at our local SPCA (where I have an insider who lets me know when they get one), and both of them originally came from Marshall anyway. The nearest breeder is several hours away from us, and may or may not still be actively breeding ferrets of unknown quality. The independent ferret market is pretty grim.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Maully Millions posted:

I'd use Advantage, the same as you'd use on a cat. In the past they recommended kitten dosages, but more recently my vet recommended the normal cat dose due to the way ferrets metabolize. I'd call your vet and check which they recommend -- won't cost you anything, and they can recommend what will work best in your area. In particularly flea and tick heavy places, the buggers can develop a resistance to certain brands, but your vet would be on the up-and-up if that was applicable.

Maully Millions posted:

Also, I want to second what Compact Fanny said about the Marshall Monopoly. In the two years since we first decided to get ferrets, I've only heard of two coming up at our local SPCA (where I have an insider who lets me know when they get one), and both of them originally came from Marshall anyway. The nearest breeder is several hours away from us, and may or may not still be actively breeding ferrets of unknown quality. The independent ferret market is pretty grim.

And the ones who do breed generally do so for looks and showability. As in, actually ferret shows where they worry about things like head shape rather than "did all of this ferret's lineage die of horrible cancers."

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Do ferrets really make 'dook' noises?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Dook is really the best way to describe it. Just go watch a youtube video.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

My tiny girl ferret has recently become a little chunky. This may be due to the fact that a friend of mine passed on some Bandits after her ferret buddy died and ferrets are greedy little fuckers that are super adorable when they beg treats off of you by piling all over one another in an effort to use their cage mates as a furry ladder into the treat-giver's lap.

Sorry, guys. Someone has to be the grown up. You're going back on your diet. The crappy treats may be delicious, but there's a reason I feed you the expensive grain-free cat food and freeze dried meat treats.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What's a sane price to pay for a teeth cleaning?

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010
At work, we put some of the ferrets in an old ball pit, they seemed to enjoy it. Ned, our big black eyed white male, is chill as hell as always. We have 6 ferrets at work, I think I've posted Ned in here before (he's so photogenic :3:), the two masked boys and Buster and Donny, the two albinos are Gripper and Bella, and the little silver female is Kali.
Sorry for the photo spam!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

omg :kimchi:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Dem fangs :swoon:

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010

Ned is chill as gently caress all the time. All our animals at work get used for a lot of handling and educational talks and such, all the volunteers love him :3:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Had to bring Derp to the vet. Massive weight loss out of nowhere, lethargic, straining to poop. Looks like maybe blood coming from peepee. So far not insulinoma and vet didn't feel any blockages or swollen lymph nodes. Wasn't anemic. Getting xrays now to check for blockage/kidney stones/whatever else it could be.

Edit: Xrays looked perfect. No growths, blockages, tumors, stones, pneumonia, or enlarged heart to be found. Vet thinks he might have picked up a stomach/intestinal infection so he got some fluids for hydration and anti-biotics for me to shove in his mouth twice a day. Now to shove baby food down his throat in an attempt to get some weight back on him.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2015

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Get some carnivore care. It is the poo poo when it comes to sick ferrets.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Thanks for the tip. Ordered, will be here Monday. Will just use up the rest of the baby food and stinky wet cat food I've got till then.

I got him to eat a decent amount of absolutely god awful smelly warmed up cat food. Course being a ferret he decided to try to eat the plastic spoon instead of the food on the spoon. It also had to be the picky eater who had to get sick making it doubly hard to feed him. Mostly involves smearing stuff all his face which forces him to open his mouth to try and clean up which then allows me to shove food directly in his mouth hole.

Herp will basically eat anything you put in front of him. Snacking on the dog's food is one of his favorite things to do when running around the house.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 17, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Fat, now skinny, gently caress is totally back to normal minus the weight issue. He woke me up at 4am because they either finished their water or spilled it everywhere. So he decided to dig at the bottom of their empty bowl because that will totally make more water appear. (I guess it did since I got up and refilled it)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Are ferrets from certified AFA breeders generally healthier in the US? Or does it all come from such bad base stock they are still prone to dying rather quickly?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Are ferrets from certified AFA breeders generally healthier in the US? Or does it all come from such bad base stock they are still prone to dying rather quickly?

Uh, I don't think there is such a thing as a "certified breeder" in the US, definitely not AFA. Unless your AFA is, like, Australian Ferret Association or something.

e: oh they do have standards now. They're just guidelines for look though, I have not heard of any breeders that breed for health over appearance.

Plek fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 19, 2015

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

It's a combination of things, but mostly, pet ferrets in the U.S. are Marshall's ferrets. I don't personally know of any private breeders with a good reputation, but I have heard of bad ones - angora breeders! :supaburn:

I'm not saying a good breeder doesn't exist, they probably do and have paid to import healthy European ferrets to start it. But Marshall's outnumber them, thousands to one. And those ferrets all come from the same lovely stock.

In addition to being of terrible genetic health, Marshall's alters most of the kits as soon as they weigh enough to survive the surgery. Which probably plays a hand in adrenal disease, as it is primarily a hormonal disorder.

:stoat:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

y'all should just fly over to England, we have solid working stock ferrets literally going for :10bux:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

CompactFanny posted:

It's a combination of things, but mostly, pet ferrets in the U.S. are Marshall's ferrets. I don't personally know of any private breeders with a good reputation, but I have heard of bad ones - angora breeders! :supaburn:

I'm not saying a good breeder doesn't exist, they probably do and have paid to import healthy European ferrets to start it. But Marshall's outnumber them, thousands to one. And those ferrets all come from the same lovely stock.

In addition to being of terrible genetic health, Marshall's alters most of the kits as soon as they weigh enough to survive the surgery. Which probably plays a hand in adrenal disease, as it is primarily a hormonal disorder.

:stoat:

I had ferrets once, and I would like them again, but I'm not going to support the industry as it is. I would like to support the industry improving, and being part of the market forces shaping that is the smallest part I can play in doing so.

Ugh, though. Maybe I'll just start my own goddamn breeding program and Ferret association...

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Depending on where you live, you may have to get a license to breed them or even to own breeding age intact adults (probably why a zillion ferret bybs don't exist here).

If I was going to keep them again I would adopt an oldie with cancer whose lovely people aren't willing to deal with it. Because there are LOTS of those. :downs:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Why do there not seem to be any 'breeds' of ferrets like there are with dogs? Or are there in other countries, and its just another side effect of US regulations and the Marshall Farms mill system?

CompactFanny posted:

If I was going to keep them again I would adopt an oldie with cancer whose lovely people aren't willing to deal with it. Because there are LOTS of those. :downs:
The current state of US ferrets already leaves my wife on the verge of thinking the heartbreak isn't worth it, I think she'd end up crying every day if I did this. I thought it was just the way ferrets are, and learning that it's not (well, not completely) is just frustrating.

So from a personal perspective (healthier, long lived ferts!) and from a societal perspective (supporting responsible breeders breeding healthy ferrets and not ferret mills), if I get them again I would definitely want to get them from a real, responsible breeder.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 20, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Guess you're moving to the UK. I don't know any specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were illegal to import.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Importing them is probably possible, but I would expect it to be difficult and costly.

There are only breeds of dogs because of thousands of years of dog people selectively breeding them for different types of work. Ferrets have only had to do one job, so multiple types weren't needed.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

CompactFanny posted:

Importing them is probably possible, but I would expect it to be difficult and costly.

There are only breeds of dogs because of thousands of years of dog people selectively breeding them for different types of work. Ferrets have only had to do one job, so multiple types weren't needed.

Cats only have one job to do too and there's a bunch of those.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Cat "breeds" aren't like dog breeds. It's basically just coat patterns and friendly dispositions. They don't have the extreme variety of size and temperament that dogs do. Look up the breed standard for any cat breed and you will most likely find it described as having a "doglike personality" because it just means they focused on getting the pretty ones to be friendly.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I don't know what happened. Derp was getting better on the antibiotics. Both were eating just fine and dandy. I went to check in on them tonight and found both Herp and Derp dead. I don't get it. What the gently caress happened. I'd understand Derp since he was kinda sickly as it, but Herp was just fine. Eating his heart out on all the food I was trying to shove in the others mouth.

I don't get it. Not one bit. Why? I can only think of 2 things that they both ate something they shouldn't have or picked up distemper, but both had absolutely 0 signs of that. If it takes 2 weeks or for a ferret to die from distemper, why didn't he show any symptoms at all 5 days ago at the vet? poo poo, did he contract it at the vet and then passed it along? Timeline wise picking up Distemper at the vet does fit minus no signs that I can find on their corpses.

If it was distemper and you're wondering why I didn't vaccinate, no vets could get Merial's vaccine and they didn't feel comfortable trying to dose dog vaccine on them.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

There would be signs of distemper aside from sudden death like that, distemper will make them very very sick with fever, vomiting and diarrhea. I'm sorry for your losses. :( If you have the disposable income and really want to know what happened, the vet could do a necropsy, but even that might not give you a conclusive answer.

Ferrets are the best and worst pets at the same time.

• Locked thread