Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Don't think I ever posted this here.

also

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Quote necromancy, but people at the shelter keep telling me about this cage setup and the nickname for it: The Beastie Boys.

Turns out Alucard and Palpatine were two of those seven. We didn't even know about that when we adopted them.

There were ones actually named after the Beastie Boys that were in there, hence the name! And yup, I almost took those two home with me. :) Mike D could be mistaken for a raccoon.

Edit: Considering pics you've posted on FB, I think one of your boys might have been one of the trouble-makers that pulled the bed into the litter box for nap time poops.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 16, 2016

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
They might have been. Alucard is an angel at home and Palpatine is now the lover of the group.

We're probably adopting two more. A HUGE six month old sable and his nine month old silver female cohort.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

They might have been. Alucard is an angel at home and Palpatine is now the lover of the group.

We're probably adopting two more. A HUGE six month old sable and his nine month old silver female cohort.

Did you end up adopting them? I wanted them so bad and that boy was massive! I think he was 3lbs in July? And the girl had the prettiest eyes.

I just adopted a new boy who was having trouble getting along with others. He was brought in because his owners apartment didn't allow ferrets, then returned because he didn't get along with his new owner's cat.

His original name card said 1 year old, but he was born in 2014.

At the shelter he was very dominant and was unable to make friends with any of the 4 groups he was trialed with meaning that even during play time he had to be alone.

One of my boys is way more playful than the other, so I was looking to add a spunky boy to our group and I wanted to give this loner a shot.

The other volunteers were so sure it wouldn't work out that I let my boys play with 2 other potential friends first because we assumed the planned meeting would go south fast and my boys would be too stressed to keep looking.

To make a long story short, here's a group shot of my THREE happy boys. :)

Fake edit: gonna have to add the pics in after I get to my work computer.
Edit: PICTURES

moonsour fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 11, 2016

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yeah, we did end up adopting them... then we broke up and I had to move back to my parents, so she's got all six and I get to go play with them whenever I want. Rocket (now Barrett) actually didn't end up getting much bigger, but he's in really good shape. Lillith is INCREDIBLY independent and constantly nosing into stuff on her own. They integrated pretty quickly.

Did you see the near-feral pair of girls when you were there? The first day there we had to wrap them in towels and physically constrict them to keep them from full force biting during nail trimming. They're doing a lot better now, but the difference between a play bit and an actual bite is astounding.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I haven't been there much so I don't think I saw them.

Ace though is all about the bites. He was trying to steal a wireless phone charger so I held it down with my hand. He grabbed my finger instead and started trying to drag me away.

Felt like I slammed my finger in a car door, but he didn't even dent the skin.

He also dragged Skywalker across the floor by his scruff and there was a little bit of squeaky fighting later that night but they're all fine now.

Please steal Lilith for me I love her eyeliner.

Ace still needs a new name. I love Ace, but my bf wants to stick to the wrestling theme. Cept he said no to Johnny Ace :(

Action shot of stealing the charger.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I had a ferret named Roger who lived for twelve years. It still was too short. :cry:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think tomorrow we will be saying goodbye to Bella, if she makes it through the night. Tough old girl is almost 8 but she's been through adrenal, insulinoma, and now her motor control is going and her head is canted all the way to the left and she can't stand up. Heartbreaking to watch. Ferrets are the saddest pets to have :(.

nmx
May 16, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think tomorrow we will be saying goodbye to Bella, if she makes it through the night. Tough old girl is almost 8 but she's been through adrenal, insulinoma, and now her motor control is going and her head is canted all the way to the left and she can't stand up. Heartbreaking to watch. Ferrets are the saddest pets to have :(.

So sorry to hear :(

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ferrets are the best pets to have, and you had almost 8 great years with a wonderful dook. I'm sorry for your loss.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

She hung on like a trooper but today we took Bella in to say goodbye. Rest now, fuzzy one.

gently caress the world

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

She hung on like a trooper but today we took Bella in to say goodbye. Rest now, fuzzy one.

gently caress the world

Just to pile on, the Chicago area shelter lost it's venerable elder fert, Pinkie, this morning.

At 9:15 he greeted the other volunteer, myself, the manager, then laid down in the litter box which raised all sorts of red flags. Blood sugar was all wrong, got a sugar boost, soup, and his meds. An hour later his sugar had dropped even further, and the manager just scooped him up and took him to the vet.

When she got back, she said he was basically gone by the time she walked in the vet office at around 11:15.

I'm gonna miss that guy. He was a sweetheart and had just recently been put some cage mates he really loved being with. At least he got a solid eight years in, even if a bunch of it was at the shelter.

Grizzly is now the grizzled veteran/occasional rear end in a top hat of the shelter.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Ok, less sad. More dooks. Here's a Cloud photo dump.

Bleh to all of you:

Time to relax:

Y hallo thar:

Bonus good picture of Lillith (because she's impossible to get good pictures of):

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm hoping to move into my own place soon. First time living on my own and I'm bothered that I'll be losing the social aspect of sharehousing.

So im thinking of getting a ferret.

I've read they smell and poop everywhere. But they look so cute, and im looking for a pet with personality thats smaller than a cat.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Kommando posted:

I'm hoping to move into my own place soon. First time living on my own and I'm bothered that I'll be losing the social aspect of sharehousing.

So im thinking of getting a ferret.

I've read they smell and poop everywhere. But they look so cute, and im looking for a pet with personality thats smaller than a cat.

For the smell and the pooping you just REALLY need to keep on top of cleaning. Also be careful and check with your landlord if you'll be renting, since a lot of places specifically don't allow ferrets.

In terms of responsibility, they're somewhere between a puppy and a toddler, in my opinion. Financially they can get really expensive since they're pretty much guaranteed to have cancer and/or need treatment for a few conditions.

You're right that they're super cute, though.

nmx
May 16, 2004

Good morning!

nmx
May 16, 2004

Oh, hello

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
:stoat:

I love seeing ferts :3

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

post more ferts

nmx
May 16, 2004

Quinn again, with his late best friend Wade:

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

nmx posted:

Quinn again, with his late best friend Wade:

Awwwwww buddies 4evver

Here is one of my ferts, Artemis, helping my husband with his dissertation.

and here is Artemis taking a well deserved nap

This is Siegfried, overseeing the destruction and chaos he created at wtf o'clock in the morning

And the wee babby Kriemhild, before she turned into a literal hitler (she's now about 8 months old and we often call her Kremlin but this doesn't seem to deter her misbehavior)

Not shown is Tristan, who is too cool for school photos.

Post more ferrets, please!

nmx
May 16, 2004

Maully Millions posted:

And the wee babby Kriemhild, before she turned into a literal hitler (she's now about 8 months old and we often call her Kremlin but this doesn't seem to deter her misbehavior)

Awww look how little she is!

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe
A selection of my ferts.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

It is now spring in Upstate New York, and my ferrets are simultaneously blowing their coats and (apparently) snorting all the blow available in the Southern Tier.

Even Artemis, who is usually a gentle bit of fluffy love snuggles, has gotten the Spring Crazies. She pounced and play-bit my husband yesterday, which is like being slapped in the face by a freshly bloomed pansy. She then immediately turned around, war danced to the cd rack, and bit that for the apparent sin of existing. She is usually so chill and zen about everything, its hilarious to see her getting wound up, chasing the young 'uns, and in general being the menace to society that all good, healthy ferrets should be.

The other day, I took Sigi with me to campus for all of my fellow stressed-out grad students to cuddle. I had actually planned on taking Artemis (sorry for playing favorites, guys) but Sigi literally leapt out of the cage and into my arms that morning. With a can-do attitude like that, how could I have refused? Well, he walked on his harness in his usual distracted manner, fell asleep on my lap during a particularly contentious Graduate Student Senate meeting, decided he wanted my friend Jess to be his mommy, and in general charmed the pants off of everyone. He also seemed to have figured out that if he points himself in the direction I'm walking, he can run continuously, at full tilt, for the entire length of the hallway. There's nothing as funny as a poofy ferret on a harness running as fast as he can and dooking his head off - it was the highlight of my day.

Usually when I take one of them to campus with me, they crash out hard when we get home. Sigi somehow managed to find the energy to play chasey-bitey face with everyone else during outside time, and even outlasted them. I'm pretty sure he has a stash of Adderall somewhere.

What are the stupid things your ferrets are doing now that its Spring in the Northern Hemisphere?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oh boy I want a ferret now. :swoon:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

precious is real old now and our kitten Molly harasses her, but I haven't heard any ferret hissing or yowling or seen any bottle brushing so I think she's ok. One time Molly started in on her while she was sleeping so precious just bit down on her face and wouldn't let go, then Molly ran off in defeat. The kitten definitely has her on weight and reach but she's a gigantic dumbass whereas precious has the warrior spirit from bossing around two other furts for years

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Kommando posted:

Oh boy I want a ferret now. :swoon:

Don't do it. You'll never get your reputation as a normal person back again.
(Do it. Then post pictures. Get two, like kittens!)

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

precious is real old now and our kitten Molly harasses her, but I haven't heard any ferret hissing or yowling or seen any bottle brushing so I think she's ok. One time Molly started in on her while she was sleeping so precious just bit down on her face and wouldn't let go, then Molly ran off in defeat. The kitten definitely has her on weight and reach but she's a gigantic dumbass whereas precious has the warrior spirit from bossing around two other furts for years

Old ferrets are the best. Precious is the bestest.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I love tube cats. But never date a girl that owns one. They're weird. Like good weird but not good girlfriends. Fool me twice and all that.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I love tube cats. But never date a girl that owns one. They're weird. Like good weird but not good girlfriends. Fool me twice and all that.

Thanks for generalizing anectodal experience to the entire population while also letting us ferret-owning girls know not to date you!

Here is Tristan cuddling with me, a good-weird bad girlfriend girl with no chances of getting into Grumbletron 4000's pants!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That dot on the nose. :allears:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I'm planning on buying two ferrets(8 week old), my main concern is fert proofing my room. Mainly because my computer has so many cords I don't want them getting into it and biting it by accident. Should I tape down my cords or is there a better way?

Also side note, what size cage should I be looking at? I have an old rat cage but I'm assuming it's pretty small for ferrets.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe

Keegers posted:

I'm planning on buying two ferrets(8 week old), my main concern is fert proofing my room. Mainly because my computer has so many cords I don't want them getting into it and biting it by accident. Should I tape down my cords or is there a better way?

Also side note, what size cage should I be looking at? I have an old rat cage but I'm assuming it's pretty small for ferrets.

Mine have never done much with cords except to use them to drag things around. Bitter apple is handy otherwise. You will have to watch them since you will miss something. Somewhere I have a video of the weasels running g a round and me suddenly cutting the video while saying "oh shi-" because the one managed to climb a cardboard barrier behind the deep freeze.

As for the cage you will definitely need something bigger. And litter boxes. There will be poop.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
A rat cage is fine if it's actually a critter nation small animal cage because that's the same size as a ferret nation, just with narrower bars.

Otherwise a rat cage is basically just room to sleep.

My boys have started getting a running start and ramming their heads into the back of my chair. I need to stop letting them out for play time when I'm ALMOST done with what I was doing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

where we live is very hot so precious just sleeps totally exposed on the floor. she doesn't have a cage anymore, just our room, which is free to her 24/7. she has a little zip up carrier we leave unzipped and a little house, so it's not like she doesn't have shelter to sleep in (and uses it sometimes) it is just hot hot hot

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm going to negotiate for being allowed two ferts in my lease.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through a trip away from home for training, and I miss my ferrets so much. My husband has not been doing his due diligence in sending me photos.

Please take pity on me and post pics of your own little assholes.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
This isn't a pic of my ferrets or anything but I recently made a motivational fert site on learning a certain domain is available, so feel free to enter:

THE FERRET ZONE

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Top Quark posted:

This isn't a pic of my ferrets or anything but I recently made a motivational fert site on learning a certain domain is available, so feel free to enter:

THE FERRET ZONE

OH MY HECK, this is amazing! Thank you!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
We had two ferrets. We ended up giving them away to someone who would take better care of them because we were always away. They were so much fun but such little shits. They had to get into everything and were impossible to litter box train. I still loved them.

One of the messes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

1) those are some boss ferts and I want.

2) actually pretty jealous of your bedspread too. Huh.

(I continue to angrily lurk because we have a studio that's too small and ferrets are illegal here. One day we will have an epic ferret hutch and all of the cuddly noodle kittens. )

• Locked thread