Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The speech will be at 9PM Eastern Time.

You can join the Bing / CNN dial test here.

Watch it on YouTube here, or turn on a television and it'll be on basically every non-duck-hunting station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_g8UIAK1pc

spoiler alert: We're gonna bomb some folks.

Excerpts via the Washington Post:

quote:

“So tonight, with a new Iraqi government in place, and following consultations with allies abroad and Congress at home, I can announce that America will lead a broad coalition to roll back this terrorist threat. Our objective is clear: we will degrade, and ultimately destroy, ISIL through a comprehensive and sustained counter-terrorism strategy.”

“But I want the American people to understand how this effort will be different from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It will not involve American combat troops fighting on foreign soil. This counter-terrorism campaign will be waged through a steady, relentless effort to take out ISIL wherever they exist using our air power and our support for partner forces on the ground. This strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us, while supporting partners on the front lines, is one that we have successfully pursued in Yemen and Somalia for years.”

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
With shining beacons of success such as Yemen and Somalia what could go wrong!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

With shining beacons of success such as Yemen and Somalia what could go wrong!

I think you mean Kenya and Uganda.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Watch Obama start a loving war.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think you mean Kenya and Uganda.

I think you mean Mexico.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I hope he wears the tan suit again.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Frankly, I'm fired up for this. It's been a while since we've had a good old fashioned bombing campaign, some shock and awe, some flexing of American military might. Obama has really shied away from hunting these types of people down as president. It's going to feel good to put these terrorists in their place.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, Syria.

Well this is going to be fun.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Watch Obama start a loving war.

Worked for 50% of Bushes!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I think you mean Mexico.

No, I mean Kenya and Uganda. The operational strategy for ISIS shows no fundamental differences from AFRICOM's successful containment strategy.

JT Jag posted:

So, Syria.

Well this is going to be fun.

Ask BM when his blackout lifts.

E2: Taking bets on coalition members!
US, UK, France, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Iran, Romania, Italy, Turkey

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 11, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

UAE possibly. Saudis hopefully.

e: Yep.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 11, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

No, I mean Kenya and Uganda. The operational strategy for ISIS shows no fundamental differences from AFRICOM's successful containment strategy.

Ask BM when his blackout lifts.

E2: Taking bets on coalition members!
US, UK, France, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Iran, Romania, Italy, Turkey
Don't forget Canada and Australia!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

UAE, Bahrain, Saudis, Kuwait, too

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

UAE possibly. Saudis hopefully.

The Saudi's probably want to be the ones running anything hypothetical Islamic state so I think they'll join.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

You did not forget Poland! :golfclap:

But we've gotta throw in the island nations too. It's Palau's time to shine once again.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Oh good

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Yeah, the Saudis are in.

quote:

AMMAN, Jordan — Saudi Arabia has indicated that it would agree to an American request to provide bases to train moderate Syrian opposition fighters, American officials said on Wednesday.

Saudi willingness to host a training program comes as Secretary of State John Kerry is preparing to fly to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on Thursday morning for a high-level strategy session on how to counter to counter the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-isis.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If the Saudis are in, then dollar for doughnuts Bahrain is too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Comedy option coalition member: the Donetsk People's Republic.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Performing air strikes on ISIS is good and all, but what is Obama planning to do about ISIS members flooding across the Mexican border and the ISIS sleeper cells already in the US?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

If the Saudis are in, then dollar for doughnuts Bahrain is too.

Saudis, UAE, Egypt, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Romania, Turkey, Bahrain, Kuwait, US, France, UK, Scotland, Canada, Australia, Palau, Malta, Spain, Italy, Monaco, West Cyprus

Curveballs/unofficial members: Iran, Israel, Lebanon, Palestine

"gently caress You" option: West Ukraine

Zinger: China

Who says ISIS hasn't accomplished anything?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Performing air strikes on ISIS is good and all, but what is Obama planning to do about ISIS members flooding across the Mexican border and the ISIS sleeper cells already in the US?

Continue supplying them and preparing them for 1/19/2017.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I see what you did there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Continue supplying them and preparing them for 1/19/2017.

Subsidized siestas with flan production developed with a corn base. Anyone who doesn't eat flan is a terrorist, and this nation cannot allow the world's greatest terrorist threat to go unchallenged.

Joementum posted:

I see what you did there.

Are you insinuating Alex Salmond is pro-terrorism? Why, that'd force me to move Scotland from the Coalition of the Awesome to the lazy european taxdodgers column with Ireland

If USA once teamed up with USSR to bomb the ME, surely we can team up with Scotland.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 11, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Whats Qatar's stance on the whole thing?

Also what about Oman? What does Oman do period? I hear they have a cozy relationship with the British military, why don't they ever join the fun?

Also, inadvertent coalition member: Syria

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
EDIT: mispost

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Saudis, UAE, Egypt, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Romania, Turkey, Bahrain, Kuwait, US, France, UK, Scotland, Canada, Australia, Palau, Malta, Spain, Italy, Monaco, West Cyprus

Curveballs/unofficial members: Iran, Israel, Lebanon, Palestine

"gently caress You" option: West Ukraine

Zinger: China

Who says ISIS hasn't accomplished anything?
What about Germany

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Questions:

So who is providing the boots on the ground? Just bombing the poo poo out of ISIS isn't going to do much, the Iraqi army sucks, the moderate Syrian rebels are on the back foot.

How does helping the Saudi-UAE axis square with our rapprochement with Iran? Their interests are aligned right up to the Syrian border, and then they're sort of ... not.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

What about Germany

Oh no, I forgot the Germans, a well known peace loving peoples. They're in as much as Kurdistan.

E:

Elotana posted:

Questions:

So who is providing the boots on the ground? Just bombing the poo poo out of ISIS isn't going to do much, the Iraqi army sucks, the moderate Syrian rebels are on the back foot.

How does helping the Saudi-UAE axis square with our rapprochement with Iran? Their interests are aligned right up to the Syrian border, and then they're sort of ... not.

Iran, Iraq, Kurdistan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, KSA, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Egypt, Lybia, Chad, US, UK, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Tunesia

Read that as a scale of anti- to pro-ISIS foreign manpower suppliers

E: Comedy 'third way' options: Israel PRDR, Russia, Belarus, Japan

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 11, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh no, I forgot the Germans, a well known peace loving peoples. They're in as much as Kurdistan.
I'm pretty sure they're already sending arms to the Kurds, so yeah.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Elotana posted:

Questions:

So who is providing the boots on the ground?

Iraq and the Syrian Free Army or whatever the CIA is calling themselves this week.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Iraq and the Syrian Free Army or whatever the CIA is calling themselves this week.
I saw the edit. You saw an opportunity to make your post just that extra bit more crazy-paranoid and you seized it, much like this is an illegal seizure of sovereignty by the United States, good show.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Why aren't we counting the Peshmerga in this? I don't think they'd enter Syria, but, you never know, they may find this as the golden moment to try to flex their muscle and get de facto control over more area for Kurds.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I believe one plan is to call them the SAA soon enough.

Amused to Death posted:

Why aren't we counting the Peshmerga in this? I don't think they'd enter Syria, but, you never know, they may find this as the golden moment to try to flex their muscle and get de facto control over more area for Kurds.

A Peshmerga fighter, who trades his Turkish passport for Kurdish, trained, armed, and based in Turkey launches a TTC raid along the east Euphrates. What nation do you call out for putting boots on the ground?

E2:

Serious question isn't how much ISIS will die, its where we're expanding blacksites to hold former US/Western citizens.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 11, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Trabisnikof posted:

Worked for 50% of Bushes!

The brilliance of this is that I have no idea which Bush you are referring to.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

They're definitely a player but they don't seem to have exhibited either the will or capability to really go on the offensive against ISIS. Still we're in strange days so who knows.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ballz posted:

The brilliance of this is that I have no idea which Bush you are referring to.

Vannevar.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Hey look at this related and amusing Vox article

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/9/6121503...ticle-share-top

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Amused to Death posted:

Whats Qatar's stance on the whole thing?

Also what about Oman? What does Oman do period? I hear they have a cozy relationship with the British military, why don't they ever join the fun?

Also, inadvertent coalition member: Syria

Oman already went through their empire building phase; split it up and then really didn't do anything after that other than enjoy their oil and gas. :v:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oman#18th_and_19th_centuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I thought it was a double-pun on Ian Smith.

E:

Lawman 0 posted:

Oman already went through their empire building phase; split it up and then really didn't do anything after that other than enjoy their oil and gas. :v:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oman#18th_and_19th_centuries

Oman already colonized most of Africa. They just did so before whites, so we don't learn about it as much.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 11, 2014

• Locked thread