Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Lawman 0 posted:

Oman already went through their empire building phase; split it up and then really didn't do anything after that other than enjoy their oil and gas. :v:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oman#18th_and_19th_centuries

Ah so they're basically Britain Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So, is Israel going to have to take scuds and like it again like in 1991? I can't see most of the Middle-Eastern part of that coalition surviving direct Israeli intervention. Poor Netanyahu, he just can't catch a break. :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amused to Death posted:

Ah so they're basically Britain Jr.

Realchat: Britain only took over colonies established by others. They didn't do much colonizing themselves.

In East through West Africa, Oman operated a vast slave trade documented as far back as the 6th century. Oman ruled through a 3-tier division: Omani slavers using Indian-crewed Dhows were at the top, local tribal and kingdom-level leaders had nominal control over their people so long as they could meet Omani slave quotas, and Indian/expat tribal populations were the third group and were used as labor by the Omanis against local power structures.

E:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So, is Israel going to have to take scuds and like it again like in 1991? I can't see most of the Middle-Eastern part of that coalition surviving direct Israeli intervention. Poor Netanyahu, he just can't catch a break. :smith:

ISIS has discovered a new refinement of SCUD technology. We call them Donkeys Under Drowers.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 11, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Realchat: Britain only took over colonies established by others. They didn't do much colonizing themselves.

I can think of at least 13 exceptions :colbert:

OK, 11. drat you Dutch and Swedes! :argh:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

I hope he wears the tan suit again.

No joke if he does this it might as well be the headline since everyone already instinctively knows what the speech is going to be.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Part of me is surprised ISIS haven't fired a SCUD at Israel just to really get poo poo stirred up

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israel won't directly intervene, they have America to do that.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I can think of at least 13 exceptions :colbert:

OK, 11. drat you Dutch and Swedes! :argh:

Reminder: Scots, Welsh, Northumbians, Non-Model Army, and other groups before the Acts of Unity don't county. Gotta go by how the Brits define themselves.

E:

Nor does the capture of Japanese, Vietnamese, and Indian colonial trading posts.

E2: ok, sorry, gonna be politically correct. Siamese colonial trading posts.

E3: poo poo, I forgot the Polish-Lithuanian colonies they took over.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 11, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good news, the US gave them Iron Dome for just this problem. The operators are in good practice too!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Amused to Death posted:

Israel won't directly intervene, they have America to do that.

Well, Shamir's popularity really tanked after Israel was forced to take the SCUDs and not respond militarily itself.

J33uk posted:

Part of me is surprised ISIS haven't fired a SCUD at Israel just to really get poo poo stirred up

They're leaving it to JaN for now. Well, not SCUDs, just taking over the border crossing and kidnapping UNDOF personnel. Anyway, if they ever bother getting close to Palestine they'll be focusing on killing off the competition, first, starting with Hamas.

Trabisnikof posted:

Good news, the US gave them Iron Dome for just this problem. The operators are in good practice too!

And they bombed the poo poo out of Gaza anyway, and you still have people in the government saying they should have bombed and invaded harder. Also, does Iron Dome work on such long-range missiles? I thought it was more of a medium-range thing.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

I hope he wears the tan suit again.

POTUS should go all-out pro athlete draftee with his suit choices from now on

embrace the hate, become the legend

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

POTUS should go all-out pro athlete draftee with his suit choices from now on

embrace the hate, become the legend

The thing is though that NBA draftees are all awkwardly proportioned giant but skinny teenagers and Obama might make that look good.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You all forgot about Denmark. They always go balls-deep with the US on every one of these little adventures. :colbert:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brave New World posted:

You all forgot about Denmark. They always go balls-deep with the US on every one of these little adventures. :colbert:

They're balls-deep providing aerologistical support to West Africa right now. US doesn't have unlimited aircraft and unlimited trained pilots, what do you think this is, a real war?

Shows how the Dutch really feel about Inuit employment opportunities
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 11, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brave New World posted:

I watched Borgen and their PM is really mad at the US for shipping CIA prisoners to Greenland, so they're probably not on board this time.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So this speech seems kind of short notice. Did the Republicans get time to reserve a timeslot for a rebuttal? Because if I don't get to hear McCain and/or Graham talking about how what we should be doing is the same thing, but so it magically fixes everything I'll feel cheated.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You can join the Bing / CNN dial test of the speech here.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Joementum posted:

I watched Borgen and their PM is really mad at the US for shipping CIA prisoners to Greenland, so they're probably not on board this time.

But polling for the next election in Denmark has shown a decisive lead for the right-wing, so this could be a good opportunity for the government to show they're tough on Muslims too!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

So this speech seems kind of short notice. Did the Republicans get time to reserve a timeslot for a rebuttal? Because if I don't get to hear McCain and/or Graham talking about how what we should be doing is the same thing, but so it magically fixes everything I'll feel cheated.

Foriegn policy stuff doesn't always get a rebuttal. Not like Willkie got a rebuttal on the day after the day that will live in infamy.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amused to Death posted:

But polling for the next election in Denmark has shown a decisive lead for the right-wing, so this could be a good opportunity for the government to show they're tough on Muslims too!

Again, do you want to be soft on Inuit while being hard on radical islamists? Better to be hard on Inuit job openings while saying 'our hands are tied providing humanitarian aid to west africa,' a semi-plausible excuse.

E:

Trabisnikof posted:

Foriegn policy stuff doesn't always get a rebuttal. Not like Willkie got a rebuttal on the day after the day that will live in infamy.

He got something better: sloshed at the realization of defeat.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

There goes the biased liberal media again.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Trabisnikof posted:

But Wilkie lost a year before..

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

freep posted:

Good Evening.

Today I want to talk the American people about my plan to deal with ISIL.

(blah. blah. blah.)

Yesterday you saw me meeting with the leadership of the House, Speaker Boehner and Minority Leader Pelosi, and two-thirds of the leadership of the Senate, Majority Leader Reid and Minority Leader McConnell. Those of you with a keen eye may have noticed that the President of the Senate, Vice President Biden was not there. That is because Vice President Biden was working on developing the real strategy to deal with ISIL.

My real plan is simple. Yesterday at the meeting, I handed my resignation to Majority Leader Reid and Speaker Boehner. That resignation will be effective at noon tomorrow. At that time Vice President Biden will be sworn in as the Forty-Fifth President of the United States of America.

Thank you.

And al-Lah bless America.

Just after President Biden is sworn, car bombs begin going off in major cities in the United States and throughout Europe.

Barak Hussein Obama, Jr. takes up Donald Trump’s offer of lifetime free greens fees at all Trump golf courses.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No, but really it's cool that there will be airstrikes against Syria without any action by Congress, since Syria is a country where there is no US embassy, no US mission, no (declared) US agents or interests.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hi empty podium.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

But Wilkie lost a year before..

I was too lazy to look up who was then the leader of the Republican party!

Wait guys what is our drinking/smoking game for this? Under bush it was every mispronounced word...

Every time Obama saud "Um" would kill me...

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Has he ever given an address from the Oval Office?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the eagle talon gripping the arrows in full view :hellyeah:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Its crooked!
:goonsay:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait guys what is our drinking/smoking game for this? Under bush it was every mispronounced word...

I think the Freep drinking game is every time he says "I" for some reason.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The beginning sounds like my kind of orgy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

He said 9/11 once, I think that's a drink.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Why does he say ISIL while everyone else says ISIS?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gargield
Aug 15, 2006

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Is it just me or is he in front of a green screen?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tommah posted:

Doesn't sound as cool

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Tommah posted:

Same reason he says Pockystan.

secret muslim usurper

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Caliph Obama: Determines what is and isn't Islamic

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tommah posted:

Levant is French and you know how elitist he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tommah posted:

"The Levant" is probably a better translation than "Syria."

• Locked thread